Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Round these parts we still say 'rip it back', which doesn't really need any translation at all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

That's what I've been saying too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

I think its mostly an Americanism!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Thinking of getting a nice set of knitting needles for Christmas and like the look of knitpro. Am a bit stumped about length and not sure what to go for. I'm thinking 25cm might be too small so that leaves 30 or 35. What do people think or recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

theLuggage wrote: »
    Thinking of getting a nice set of knitting needles for Christmas and like the look of knitpro. Am a bit stumped about length and not sure what to go for. I'm thinking 25cm might be too small so that leaves 30 or 35. What do people think or recommend?

Probably 30cm would be the better length. I've got a set of 35cm needles and I find them a tad too long for me. But - it's personal choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Lovely yarn? what is it? Is it cotton, really like the sheen.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Lovely yarn? what is it? Is it cotton, really like the sheen.

It's the debbie bliss baby cashmerino.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭RiverOfLove

I'm still knitting and loving it very much. I'm still knitting my dolls blanket. It's not a big project but the reason it's taking so long is because I have a few pairs of needles and loads of balls of wool and working away at different things. I learned the rib stitch (knit 2, purl 2). I practised the cable stitch for the first time last week and it turned out ok. Loads more to learn on cable stitching there. I knitted my first cap and it turned out very well. I also got a request to knit a cap. Delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I learned the very basics of knitting and crochet from my mother more than 50 years ago. We also had a knitting class in school for an hour once a week which used the same basic stitches, garter, stocking, rib and a cable and bobble stitch for Aran knitting. I never got much further than the basics for years but now I know I am capable of learning any new stitches from books or Youtube and I have even impressed myself with how much I have learned! Perhaps some of you younger knitters could tell me do the schools not teach knitting any more? By the way, I learned my knitting in Primary School, I never got the opportunity to go to Secondary sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I was taught knitting by the presentation sisters from age 4!

that was in the early eighties.

I see in hickeys they have a school pack of short 4mm and a ball of double knitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I learned in a Presentation school as well in around 1996-1997 :)

Our primary school in the 80's was very organised 1st, 3rd & 5th class knitted - up to the teacher to decide what we did, 2nd & 4th sewed (in 4th we did an apron for when we started cooking in 5th - I still have and use it). In 6th we did a rug. When we moved to secondary school all 1st years did all subjects so we did some machine sewing then. I hated the knitting then, but picked up the needles at 19 and haven't looked back.
    They were Mercy Sisters and even the boys school in town taught the boys to knit - its a great way to build up the muscles in the hand which benefit writing and hand eye co-ordination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

We did not learn knitting in school, my mother thought us to knit on two pencils and a ball of wool. My brother was very good at it, he even knit himself a polo neck jumper in the late 70's, early 80's. My daughter is 10 now and they have not yet done knitting, which is a shame as I think it would greatly improve her maths skills. I have been trying to teach her myself with the help of youtube videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭janmaree

Would any of you be Aran knitters and have you ever worked with the traditional oiled yarn? What I'm thinking is that when we buy coloured Aran wool, the natural lanolin in the original cream yarn has been washed away in the dyeing process. I don't recall ever getting that oily feeling on my fingers and needles when I knit with coloured Aran yarn, only with the original oiled yarn which usually came in hanks that had to be wound into balls first. Anyone remember back that far............or is just me? (I'm very, very old btw. :()

I'm trying to locate oiled coloured Aran yarn for a friend but I suspect there's no such thing. Any information would be very helpful, and thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭RiverOfLove

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I learned the very basics of knitting and crochet from my mother more than 50 years ago. We also had a knitting class in school for an hour once a week which used the same basic stitches, garter, stocking, rib and a cable and bobble stitch for Aran knitting. I never got much further than the basics for years but now I know I am capable of learning any new stitches from books or Youtube and I have even impressed myself with how much I have learned! Perhaps some of you younger knitters could tell me do the schools not teach knitting any more? By the way, I learned my knitting in Primary School, I never got the opportunity to go to Secondary sadly.

It's been a long time since I was in school. I'm 30. I learned a little bit of knitting in primary school. In first class, when I was 8 I learned garter stitch and we did some sort of a knitting project where the class had to knit a long piece and it was sewn onto a fairy liquid bottle and we glued eyes on to it to make some sort of a doll. I can't remember the sewing part. I think maybe I was sick and off school and the teacher did it for me.

In second class I learned purl stitch and the class was made to knit a puppet. I couldn't grasp knitting in the round for it's head and made a funny shape for it's head.

That would have been back in the early 90s and as far as I can remember that was all the knitting I learned in school. It was something I used to like. I remember sitting up late one night with my dad and siblings watching a horror movie. I think my mom was in the hospital having a baby. Anyways I was knitting away on the couch.

When I was in fifth class, the then sixth class was learning crochet and I remember thinking I can't wait for that. Got to sixth class and it wasn't taught. I was disappointed.

In secondary school in first year at about 96/97 I did sewing on a machine as part of home ec class. There wasn't any knitting in secondary school.

I have no idea what school would be like nowdays. I know a kid in second class and she's not knitting in school.

My daughter did no crafts in primary school. But with the craft part of the Home Economics she has to do something, the rest of the class are doing cross stitch, she found it too fiddly and is the only one doing crochet. She has done a pillow, a canvas (piece of art) and something else which I can't remember (bad mammy!) The teacher was raving about her! She picked it up from a friend of mine.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I did knitting in fifth class, in 2004-ish? My brother or sister didn't do it though

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭PippaChic

My daughter is nearly 11 and while wool and needles have been purchased at the request of her school she has never been taught to knit!
    I've always loved knitting, and I think it's a lovely pastime so I feel it's a real bummer she is not being taught.
    She is knitting a hairband at the moment, she keeps dropping stitches and making picot holes (by not pulling the loop of wool through to make a new stitch) and I keep having to rip back and correct it, but she'll get there with plenty of practice.
    The last time I knitted was a few Aran geansaís during the big freeze in 2010, but I put on weight as I was sitting down the whole time! I'll try to get back into it, I run 3 times weekly so hopefully that will help keep weight down :)

• Advertisement

Thats so funny PippaChic, I took knitting back up to stop me from gaining weight - giving the hands something else to do rather than stuff my gob!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kinkygirl

I can't believe Boards has a knitting thread! Yippee. Last month I took up knitting and I am loving every moment. I still have so much (ok...everything) to learn, can't yet understand a pattern, but I'll keep going.
    Right now, I'm on scarf no.3, and have attempted two hats, wearable but just about.
    I am using the cheaper yarn at the moment but hopefully in time I will progress to nicer stuff.
    A word of warning! I will be stalking you all for hints, tips etc. Happy Knitting. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bevalice

Hello,
    I have acquired 2 knitting machines from my grandmother. A chunky silver reed and a finer gauge which I am unsure of the brand. I'm wondering if anyone knows of knitting machine classes in Dublin as I am eager to get started. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

kinkygirl wrote: »
    I can't believe Boards has a knitting thread! Yippee. Last month I took up knitting and I am loving every moment. I still have so much (ok...everything) to learn, can't yet understand a pattern, but I'll keep going.
    Right now, I'm on scarf no.3, and have attempted two hats, wearable but just about.
    I am using the cheaper yarn at the moment but hopefully in time I will progress to nicer stuff.
    A word of warning! I will be stalking you all for hints, tips etc. Happy Knitting. :)

I'm at about the same level I'd say. Started back in Feb and have done two baby cardigans, lol! At this rate I'll be lucky to get my third item done while its still winter - it's going to be a nice shawl/scarf thing, first thing for myself :)

Sounds like you're doing great, keep going :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I'm so glad I took up knitting again. Just had a baby and was able to do a few cardis, hats and a blanket for her. It's lovely to be able to dress her in something I made myself. So interesting to hear that kids aren't being taught it in school. I'm a teacher myself and I know I'll definitely be pushing it on my classes!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I finished my first jumper tonight.
    1471159_769563343059457_1364003808_n.jpg

1452297_769563353059456_1381234200_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

^ That jumper is gorgeous and your colour work is fantastic! I'm still learning to knit with different colours and make it look even.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I actually Swiss Darned the rocket on. I'm not confident enough yet to try actually knitting the picture in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

bevalice wrote: »
    Hello,
    I have acquired 2 knitting machines from my grandmother. A chunky silver reed and a finer gauge which I am unsure of the brand. I'm wondering if anyone knows of knitting machine classes in Dublin as I am eager to get started. Thanks!

check Diana Sullivan's videos on youtube. you don't need classes believe me. machines manuals are very good and there's plenty videos on youtube.
    before you attempt knitting make sure that sponge bars have been checked out and replaced if needed on your knitting machines. and congrats on your new acquisitions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cmbutterfly45

aknitter wrote: »
    Thats so funny PippaChic, I took knitting back up to stop me from gaining weight - giving the hands something else to do rather than stuff my gob!

ditto i took up knitting when i gave up smoking so as not to substitute food :)

Advertisement