Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Sorry, yes, the body's in stocking st! It's a bolero so will be fairly loose fitting, except for the sleeves which do look quite fitted. So do you think garter st will be OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭busymum1

@wmpdd3,
    the man in Shannon has sponge bars for standard gauge knitmasters. I had a new shiny one from him this week for 28 euros. I can pm you his number if you want it.
    The man in the knitting machine/sewing machine repair place in Waterford said he could get them too if you give him a ring it might be nearer to you. He'll only service the machines he sells but said he could source parts if I needed them.
    pm me if you'd like the number.
    Still no word from Springwools about prices or stock, I'll call again tomorrow!
    HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

For those of you with knitting machines, what do you make with them? would you recommend them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

aknitter wrote: »
    For those of you with knitting machines, what do you make with them? would you recommend them?

I have no patients so I only knit kid clothes by hand, anything bigger on the machine.mine I'd fine Hague so I can only knit chunky at a push.

I have an item on order with the singer Centre, so I'll give him a bell and ask if he can get a sponge bar for me.

Thanks again

I've found a new local knitting group and the i'm going for the first time tomorrow. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Ah, thats the place I was thinking of. I dont know Dublin that well. They were great to deal with when we bought there.

I just looked at my sponge bar and its knackered! So anyone know where I can get one?

Knitmaster 321
    sponge only but wouldn't break the bank.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Sponge-kit-Sponge-Bar-needle-bar-2-pack-Knitmaster-Silver-Reed-Jones-/330942513545?pt=UK_Crafts_Knitting_Crochet_EH&hash=item4d0db60189

Wool on cones isn't cheap at Springwools. uk ebay is your best bet esp. if you're looking for the scrap yarn. e.g. I've bought yeoman mohair on ebay for 10eur/cone meanwhile in springwools it's priced at around 30eur/cone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭busymum1

I've ordered some acrylic from Springwools today and they emailed me a price list.

Sport 500g 100% Wool €39.99
    100% Acrylic 500g €13.95
    Canele 100% Cotton 245g €18.95
    King Cole Merino Blend Wool 500g €27.99
    The cost of delivery within Ireland depends on the quantities you're ordering - our maximum p&p charge within Ireland is €7.

@j@utis how much do you pay from shipping from the UK, anywhere I looked it seemed to be more than the cost of the yarn! Especially if ordering any quantity, except for colourmart which has free shipping.
    Their yarns are stunning but too expensive and gorgeous for making moshi-monster jumpers for DD1 !

@ aknitter, I'm only machine knitting since October last year as someone gave me a very simple machine that was destined for the skip. I'm completely addicted and have acquired a proper knitmaster second hand electronic patterning machine in March.
    It's fantastic, anything I can think of pattern wise I can knit. It's fiddly though and can be very frustrating. It allows me to complete really ambitious projects that I would never have finished hand knitting. It's fiddly though and can be very frustrating.
    I've used it to design and make dresses and jumpers for my girls. DD1 loves drawing out a pattern on the graph pattern sheet and seeing it knitted into a real thing. It's like magic! I'm mostly using it for textile art pieces and felting though not clothing.

^^^^ pics, pics, Pics!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

busymum1 wrote: »
    @j@utis how much do you pay from shipping from the UK, anywhere I looked it seemed to be more than the cost of the yarn! Especially if ordering any quantity, except for colourmart which has free shipping.
    yeah, colourmart yarns are wow. pricey though...
    p&p price from uk has gone up like from everywhere else but bargains can still be found especially for poor quality, ugly color yarn - scrap yarn. I've bought cones for pound or two so they only cost me the price of postage really.
    this is the wool shop in Germany: http://stores.ebay.ie/JOVS-Shop their shipping is expensive for small quantities but if ordering say 12kg - 25eur for shipping isn't too bad. I ordered from them a while back when their shipping price was 5eur lower. yarns are lovely and being "industrial" type, i.e. very fine give you a choice of varying yarn thickness for your projects. you might add 2, 3, 4 or more strands together depending or your needs. I have a proposition here to do a group order, 12kg is a lot for one person, but if someone (pref. from north wicklow/south dublin) would be interested in ordering together to split the shipping costs - I'm very up for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭janmaree

I hope I'm not butting in here but I find Deramores to have great choice in yarns and patterns and they also do the haberdashery side of things as well. As far as I can remember, they offer a 5 Euro p&p charge on all orders over 50 euro and even though their prices are quite good, it's easy to reach 50 euro when buying for a new project, especially using natural yarns. Hope this helps.

(On double-checking, because I am a plonker at times, I see that it's FREE delivery over 50 euro and 5.95 euro on orders up to 50 euro, which isn't bad really.)

Yes, I use Deramores quite a bit. The range is fantastic and the price and shipping reasonable. I've had to return yarn as the colour wasn't quite what I expected. They took it back and sent me another without question. The customer service is superb too. No wonder they were named Knitting Retailer of the year.

Love Knitting have the same sort of arrangement with regard to P & P; I use Black Sheep Wools a lot as well. Excellent for discontinued yarns.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Anyone know of a shop in Dublin city centre where I would pick up darning needles? Coming to the end of the second side of the baby blanket so I will be trying to stitch it all up soon.

Anyone know of a shop in Dublin city centre where I would pick up darning needles? Coming to the end of the second side of the baby blanket so I will be trying to stitch it all up soon.

Most basic sewing needle packs have 1 darning needle. if not Tesco sell them in the sewing section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

aknitter wrote: »

Ah, thanks for heads up...

Regarding circular needles... I've gotten the hang of knitting in the round on DP needles... How do decreases on circular needles work? Would the work not get very stretched?

It works in the same way, whether knitting in the round or not. Don't worry - the work won't be stretched. Keep the stitches bunched up tight, though.

If you use the Magic Loop technique it doesn't

http://www.knittingdaily.com/blogs/daily/archive/2009/09/16/the-magical-magic-loop.aspx

or youtube a clip. I find that if you heat the wire it helps to smooth out any kinks that may occur making it easier to use.

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_33550.htm

I got a few balls of this a few years ago and it is the best 100% cotton I have ever used, even better than bamboo, imo. I've made hats, vests crochet / knit etc, all turned out really well and wore very well.

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_33554.htm

Also I have the little french knitter and my 2 year old loves knitting along beside me (not a very h&s conscious household!)

I've never bought any on the non natural fibres.

I've used the acrylic ones, find they are best for bigger projects like an afghan. ?Didn't like the 200g baby wool, went fuzzy easily, not suitable if you want to give a gift imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 teesa

I'm currently knitting a baby's cardigan but I have a problem with joining the button band to it. The pattern said to cast on a stitch which would be used later for this purpose but I cannot figure out how to do this.Any ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

teesa wrote: »
    I'm currently knitting a baby's cardigan but I have a problem with joining the button band to it. The pattern said to cast on a stitch which would be used later for this purpose but I cannot figure out how to do this.Any ideas ?

Have you more information, like a bit of the pattern you could share, so we can see where you are stuck?
    Is it with picking up and knitting stitches for the band?
    or creating the button holes?

I usually find www.Ravelry.com discussions forms are the best place to get quick & accurate advise with these sorts of challanges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Just a little question ... the last mention of knitting needles and airport security/planes on this thread goes back more than a year.
    Does anyone know whether Dublin Airport/RyanAir (Dublin-Beauvais) allow knitting needles now?
    I'd love to travel with them :)
    Thank you.
    V

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

ValerieR wrote: »
    Just a little question ... the last mention of knitting needles and airport security/planes on this thread goes back more than a year.
    Does anyone know whether Dublin Airport/RyanAir (Dublin-Beauvais) allow knitting needles now?
    I'd love to travel with them :)
    Thank you.
    V

I think your best bet would be to ring the airport authority and ask them...or email them so you have an answer in writing that you can bring with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I've never had any trouble with needles on a plane, but I always brought smaller sized ones just in case. Mostly they inspect my scissors and let me on anyway :p

But you might just get a cranky security person on the day and it's all at their discretion. Things you can do is check the airline carry on policy and print it. Also bring some stitch savers to transfer your work on in the case that they do take your needles.

I have never actually knitted on a plane, but its great if you are going to be sitting in an airport for a while before your flight :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I always knit on the plane- 40hrs door to door between mine and my parents gaf means you can get stuck into a project. I always use wooden needles and bring some teeny weeny snips and I've never had a problem through many many airports. They did take my son's skateboard tho :(

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mefynn

Hi im looking for mans pattern for unusual christmas jumper if any one can help..............thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

try ravelry.com, choose the Patterns tab at top and write in Christmas in the Search box, choose male, etc.
    lots of patterns there, some free, some you have to pay for,
    good luck!
    you could also try knitty.com

• Registered Users Posts: 11 syberia

Hi there,

just found this thread :) I've only been knitting a short while but I love it. I never learned in School or at home so it's all new to me! My kids seem very interested in what I'm doing and my 4yr old keeps asking me to teach him, but I wouldnt know where to start! Does anyone know of a good book or guide to help teach children? or is he too young??
    Also looking to start knitting cables, any advice on tutorials? I've never knitted on straight needles, only circular...not sure if that makes any difference...
    Thanks! :)

When I teach kids to knit its usually on short 4mm needles and double knit yarn.

Just sit her on your knee and let her see what you are doing, once she sees that you are making something, she'll pick it up.

If she can't, google finger knitting and get her to do this beside you, she'll want to try knit on needles again when she's ready.

they have kits in smyths, my daughter loved it when she got it for christmas. just put knitting in the search on the website. They do seem to be a bit girly though but you can get good patterns on ravelry and cheap small balls of yarn should be available at your local yarn shop.

I've not done circular cables so I'm no use to you for that!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

syberia wrote: »
    Hi there,

just found this thread :) I've only been knitting a short while but I love it. I never learned in School or at home so it's all new to me! My kids seem very interested in what I'm doing and my 4yr old keeps asking me to teach him, but I wouldnt know where to start! Does anyone know of a good book or guide to help teach children? or is he too young??
    Also looking to start knitting cables, any advice on tutorials? I've never knitted on straight needles, only circular...not sure if that makes any difference...
    Thanks! :)

It would definitely be easier to show him with short 4mm straight needles, as per wmpdd3's post. I'm sending you a PM with a recommendation for children's how-to book and kits. :)

Advertisement