Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I shouldn't laugh....:P but my friends dog (a setter) is a jumper and they never really addressed the issue....he jumped up on somebody they know today..then he did it again...then his daddy decided to grab him and ended up falling on his ass!! I didn't know who to grab - the dog to stop him jumping or the guy to help him up lol!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

tk123 wrote: »
    Some people are just tools - end of! I'm sure I'll bump into a few now as I'm about to head over to the park - the advantages of being unemployed :rolleyes:

No doubt, like the lady yesterday whose cocker spanel, for the SECOND TIME, attacked my dog, who was on his lead and doing his utmost to get away from it. The same woman who informed me it's 'only alsations' the dog has a problem with. Well that's great to know lady, now perhaps you put the damn dog on a lead so it can't attack 'alsations' on a stroll with their owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Ugh... so angry right now. Came home from college and went downstairs to Millie as usual. She jumped up onto me when I came in only to leave a big paw print of you know what on my jacket. Tried to get her out the back as quickly as possible but of course she turned it into a "catch me if you can" game >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Ugh... so angry right now. Came home from college and went downstairs to Millie as usual. She jumped up onto me when I came in only to leave a big paw print of you know what on my jacket. Tried to get her out the back as quickly as possible but of course she turned it into a "catch me if you can" game >_<

I don't mean to laugh but the whole catch me if you can thing is hilarious. Our Jack Russel, Effie, has great craic avoiding us at all costs :D

I don't mean to laugh but the whole catch me if you can thing is hilarious. Our Jack Russel, Effie, has great craic avoiding us at all costs :D
    Its her new game. When she knows you either want her or something, she'll run all over the place to avoid you. Last night we were writing up Christmas cards, so she thought it would be great craic to grab a mouthful of cards and go play hide and seek.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Im really sick at the mo, literally cant sit up for more than a minute at a time without falling down and have to miss my exams, but on the plus side my cats are cheering me up. They seem to know theres something wrong, Peach wouldnt let Cream near me last night, she kept charging at him if he came near the couch, then they eventually compromised, he snuggled behind my legs while she lay on my ribs. Cream also spent a good 5 minutes kneading the blanket my feet were under, I figure he was trying to give me a foot rub! He also has a really sensitive nose, I was eating a silvermint but couldnt stomach it anymore so I dropped it in the basin beside me, Cream went in for a sniff and puked! I found it quite amusing as its the "sick basin". He has good aim :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Put up the tree and left it undecorated for 24hrs...
    Mouse is all over it!
    Just put a pic in the pic thread, this year will be fun:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

mymo wrote: »
    Put up the tree and left it undecorated for 24hrs...
    Mouse is all over it!
    Just put a pic in the pic thread, this year will be fun:rolleyes:

Lol, those pics are hilarious! Kinda brings cat tree to a whole new level, doesn't it? :D

OK, begining to think those lovely glass ornaments I got last year may have to go away until next year! :(
    She's been going nuts since 7pm...
    How much energy can one kitten have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Not feeling the usual Friday buzz this week. I don't think we will have our Minnie for much longer unfortunately. She's still a young enough dog, she's around 7 but she is now taking 3 different pain killer/ anti inflammatories and she's still in visible pain :(
    She has hip dysplasia, and is now suffering badly with pain in her front paws. She's had X-rays which were referred to UCD for diagnosis, they haven't a clue!!! She has a bone lesion ( possibly cancer, possibly ligament) a shadow on her wrist, loose shoulder, and bow leg, on top of that she has something up with her liver that again they can't fully diagnose.

My family reckon she's pining for my dad, I don't think she's recovered from his passing at all, she was utterly devoted to him and hasn't been the same since. She's happy out on her walk, she runs/limps around like she has no worries but at home all she wants to do is snuggle and sleep. She just looks sad all the time. Jazz is gutted as her playmate is no longer interested in being annoying and running around the house.

Sorry for the long rambling post, just needed to vent :(

• Advertisement

Its like my cats are doing shift work to make sure at no time am I left unsat on. I wonder is there such thing as cat healing therapy!

Its like my cats are doing shift work to make sure at no time am I left unsat on. I wonder is there such thing as cat healing therapy!

My cat was the same! I had an operation a few years ago and was in bed for a few weeks after - he never left his spot on the bed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

If there isn't, theres a gap in the market ;)

Quick question guys. Only recently I have started going to the dog park on a regular basis. Last time Millie got into a little fight with a deerhound who wouldn't leave her alone. He was nipping at the scruff of her neck and trying to mount her. It came to a point when she had enough of it leading to a bit of a fight. Nothing serious, just jumping up at each other, teeth showing and snarling. My question though, should I be jumping in to try and stop them when this happens or should I let them work it out between them. Im happy to leave them to it (so long as its just a 'who has the loudest growl' type of fight) but then the question arises, should you be seen as doing something in somewhere like the dog park?
    Luckily the owner of the deerhound is a regular and was well used to these things happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

mymo wrote: »
    OK, begining to think those lovely glass ornaments I got last year may have to go away until next year! :(
    She's been going nuts since 7pm...
    How much energy can one kitten have?

I just got some bells for the tree from the 2euro shop. They're big, so no danger of being chewed, and the cats are having a blast pulling them off and chasing them around the room. Every day I pick them all up and hang them, and fun starts again.
    My tree = chocolates at the very top
    fragile ornaments in the middle
    2 euro bells at the bottom
    Doesn't look so great, but it keeps everyone happy.

Ah something is wrong with my baba!! His tail is stuck down - think it might be his a.g.'s :(. He had a bone today so hopefully it'll sort itself in the morning! He hates the vets as it is - don't want to put him or them thru getting THAT done!

Do we have a new mod here? Just noticed there are 5 names!

Do we have a new mod here? Just noticed there are 5 names!

Sorta kinda! Penn is a Category Mod for the Rec Category, but is just giving a bit of a dig-out in this forum at the min :)

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Quick question guys. Only recently I have started going to the dog park on a regular basis. Last time Millie got into a little fight with a deerhound who wouldn't leave her alone. He was nipping at the scruff of her neck and trying to mount her. It came to a point when she had enough of it leading to a bit of a fight. Nothing serious, just jumping up at each other, teeth showing and snarling. My question though, should I be jumping in to try and stop them when this happens or should I let them work it out between them. Im happy to leave them to it (so long as its just a 'who has the loudest growl' type of fight) but then the question arises, should you be seen as doing something in somewhere like the dog park?
    Luckily the owner of the deerhound is a regular and was well used to these things happening.

I wouldn't be happy about allowing this dog to persist with this behaviour gavmcg, to be honest. But I would wait and see what happens the next time they meet: if he does it again, let her give him the warning and see does he back off.
    But if he doesn't back off and keeps at it, I wouldn't let him continue. Every interaction they're having with each other is a learning event, and deerhound needs to learn not to do that sort of things... but it shouldn't be at the expense of your dog, who is also learning perhaps that big shaggy dogs are not in the "friend" zone any more!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Lola is fast asleep on me feet, cant move!

• Advertisement

Cheers DBB.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Learning the joys of a terrier who isn't neutered the moment. He's going to the vet asap he's been going mad at any male dogs who aren't neutered but is perfectly fine with ours who is. Hopefully our vet has an appointment this week. We've a male lab who comes to visit most weekends and they've had to be separated. Its a disaster. At least he gets on with our permanent resident I suppose.

tk123 wrote: »
    Ah something is wrong with my baba!! His tail is stuck down - think it might be his a.g.'s :(. He had a bone today so hopefully it'll sort itself in the morning! He hates the vets as it is - don't want to put him or them thru getting THAT done!

:( He's no better after 3 poops this morning! Heading to the vets this afternoon. Getting a bit worried now :(

Poor Bailey, its probably nothing but safest to get him checked! Is he acting normal besides his tail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I hope Bailey's okay, poor fella must be sick of the vets at this stage :(

We had a lovely day out in Lough key forest park, 4 of the huskies delivered Santa, much to the delight of all the kids there :)

Well we're on Christmas tree 2.0!

Removed all the glass ornaments for their own safety, sadly 4 couldn't be saved, Mouse got to them before I could save them:(
    We now have all the old cheap ornaments, no glass ones, no tinsel, not as pretty but as Mouse proof as we can make it.

On a side note, all the tree excitement has been wearing little Mouse out, she is sleeping all night and not jumping on the dogs, big cats or people half as much.
    I have never seen a kitten as lively as her, poor dogs have no toys left she steals them all. I have yet to get her playing fetch on camera, but my daughter got a video of her killing an Aldi oinking piggy dog toy, must post it up later!

His a.g.'s were full like I thought so he had them emptied and got pain killer shot in case he's pulled something. He was due his KC shot next month anyways so had it done today too so I won't be forking out again in a few weeks. He knows the nurse and gave his tail a little wag when we went and was playing with his friends after - he's fine otherwise just his beautiful tail is just hanging down! :(. We've to go back if there's no improvement - luckily I don't start my new job until Jan (I got a job on fri - yaay :)) so I'll be here to keep an eye on him!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Congrats on the job!

Harley used to suffer with AG's too, once he was taken off a very rich food it helped. He also used to get some type of powder to sprinkle on his food, an orangey grainy thing that is full of fibre. Might be worth your while trying it. Glad it wasn't something more serious.

I'm having a bit of guilt at the moment - It's gotten to the stage that I can't rub/cuddle/talk to Harley without Phoe trying to get his little head in the middle of it. He's slightly rude with it and it bothers Harley to have him standing on him to scooch in between us. It's only with me, not with my husband.

We've been working on it, and now when I'm with Harley, Phoe will still thunder over but will sit and look very excited while he waits for his "turn".

Last night, I was sitting beside Harley on the couch and Phoe ran in and straight up on Harley to try get in the middle of us. I put him down but Harley got annoyed first, had a grumble and sauntered off. Both went to their own beds and fell asleep. After a while H came up for a cuddle and before he even had him bum on the couch Phoe was up under him. :mad:

My reaction was to very sharply send him to bed. I know not it's ideal and it goes against what I try to do when teaching them manners. I just got so annoyed on Harleys behalf.

Does anybody else in a multi-dog household have anything similar happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Whispered wrote: »
    Congrats on the job!

Harley used to suffer with AG's too, once he was taken off a very rich food it helped. He also used to get some type of powder to sprinkle on his food, an orangey grainy thing that is full of fibre. Might be worth your while trying it. Glad it wasn't something more serious.

I'm having a bit of guilt at the moment - It's gotten to the stage that I can't rub/cuddle/talk to Harley without Phoe trying to get his little head in the middle of it. He's slightly rude with it and it bothers Harley to have him standing on him to scooch in between us. It's only with me, not with my husband.

We've been working on it, and now when I'm with Harley, Phoe will still thunder over but will sit and look very excited while he waits for his "turn".

Last night, I was sitting beside Harley on the couch and Phoe ran in and straight up on Harley to try get in the middle of us. I put him down but Harley got annoyed first, had a grumble and sauntered off. Both went to their own beds and fell asleep. After a while H came up for a cuddle and before he even had him bum on the couch Phoe was up under him. :mad:

My reaction was to very sharply send him to bed. I know not it's ideal and it goes against what I try to do when teaching them manners. I just got so annoyed on Harleys behalf.

Does anybody else in a multi-dog household have anything similar happen?

The odd time but not always. If Coco always comes over first for cuddles then when she's getting them Benson moves in and she moves back and starts giving her 'huffy bark'. But she never barges him out of the way for cuddles but will for food treats, if I put a bit of a treat into their bowls, she'll gobble hers up and then pushes him out of the way of his bowl and finishes his. He's a complete gent and just lets her. :o. This from a fella who had a touch of food guarding issues when he arrived. But he just adores her so he doesn't react.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

This from a fella who had a touch of food guarding issues when he arrived. But he just adores her so he doesn't react.

That's so sweet :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement