Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'm working from home to get a food delivery (of which only one box has arrived - where is box 1!?)..Dear god the noise of Lucy snoring! :eek:

PS I hope the cat shows up! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Cat is back :D:D:D
    Acting like something on drugs since she arrived - eaten a mountain of food - lots of vocalization - in/out/in/out/in/out - cant settle. Looks fine, have checked her over and no sign of any injuries etc. Resident cat is disgusted shes home, and has taken herself off to our bedroom. Dogs disgusted that shes back too - following her around cos shes acting so oddly :p
    Back to normal I guess
    This cat disappearing business is the pits - just solidifies my theory that cats are just wierd - how did the human race stay such cat fans when we have to tolerate such abuse?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

I will never forget when we were small, we had a little black and white cat who was the love of our lives... He went missing for about 3 weeks and we were distraught... My mam went down the road one day to introduce herself to the new neighbours, and they asked her did the previous owners abandon a cat there when they moved out....

Our cat had apparently been hanging out at theirs since they moved in. Four small children thought he was dead and him just chilling three doors down the road... I think that was the day I decided I was a dog person! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Delighted for you aonb! Little feckers, they’d break your heart!

As they say, it didn’t take long for my cat to train me :D

Oh that's brilliant news Aonb! So relieved for you. Yep cats are feckers alright. I was in my mothers house today and her cat was meowing at the door to be let in. I said to my mam "your cats looking to get in". She replied "I don't care. I've let her in and out a hundred times today. Do you think I was put on this earth to be a cats butler?!". I said "I think we were all put on this earth to be cats butlers, just not everyone's realised it yet".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

aonb wrote: »
    Cat is back :D:D:D
    Acting like something on drugs since she arrived - eaten a mountain of food - lots of vocalization - in/out/in/out/in/out - cant settle. Looks fine, have checked her over and no sign of any injuries etc. Resident cat is disgusted shes home, and has taken herself off to our bedroom. Dogs disgusted that shes back too - following her around cos shes acting so oddly :p
    Back to normal I guess
    This cat disappearing business is the pits - just solidifies my theory that cats are just wierd - how did the human race stay such cat fans when we have to tolerate such abuse?!?

So glad.Same pattern as a feral I had. She would vanish for up to two weeks then come home starving etc,

One writer re ferals says that by the second generation ferals are genetically changed. So they are always a little on the wild side
    And they always know where they can get food

So if she vanishes again? She will come home

Oh that's brilliant news Aonb! So relieved for you. Yep cats are feckers alright. I was in my mothers house today and her cat was meowing at the door to be let in. I said to my mam "your cats looking to get in". She replied "I don't care. I've let her in and out a hundred times today. Do you think I was put on this earth to be a cats butler?!". I said "I think we were all put on this earth to be cats butlers, just not everyone's realised it yet".

Funny! I have the same problem here. They have all learned to literally knock at the door now. Each cat has a different rhythm. Cannot leave the window open because of Stinkertom.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ED E wrote: »
    Who has the billboard ads with a Border Terrier on at the minute, is it <snip>?
    ED E, please be aware that individual rescues cannot be named in this forum and indeed their activities cannot be discussed here either.

Twas the AA! Sorry for skipping the charter ;)

I thought I was clever distracting Lucy as we walked by a manure pile in the park... then let my guard down on the way back and she had a good roll! :p at least she had her rain coat on so into the washing machine when we got home lol! The coat not Lucy girl :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I think I’ve developed an allergy to certain breeds of dogs.. every time I groom a Westie or a cocker, I break out in a rash on my arms. I’m fine with other spaniels, and other terriers. But just these two make me itch so bad! Has anyone had anything similar with just one or two certain breeds? :o

• Advertisement

My cats now have making me get up to feed them to a fine art.

If they are in? They literally walk up and down on me several times until I get up. If i am slow, the vocals start

If they are out, they bang and scratch at the door, yelling as they do. The outside door is glass and the sound of claws on glass is excruciating.

They always win , every day and I am talking early. Sometimes 5 am

But i make them wait while I put water on for coffee ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I think I’ve developed an allergy to certain breeds of dogs.. every time I groom a Westie or a cocker, I break out in a rash on my arms. I’m fine with other spaniels, and other terriers. But just these two make me itch so bad! Has anyone had anything similar with just one or two certain breeds? :o

wow - thats a very interesting issue.... be even more interesting to find out if theres been any research into being allergic to specific breeds! Could it be something in their diet or that the owners are washing them in or something - bit of a coincidence though - how many Westies and Cockers have you groomed that you've had a reaction to?

A friend has Shar Pei’s and there was a nurse at one of the vets he used who was allergic to his dog but not other breeds

aonb wrote: »
    wow - thats a very interesting issue.... be even more interesting to find out if theres been any research into being allergic to specific breeds! Could it be something in their diet or that the owners are washing them in or something - bit of a coincidence though - how many Westies and Cockers have you groomed that you've had a reaction to?

It’s only started in the past 3 weeks but in that time I’d say maybe 4 westies and 3 cockers? Same thing each time, red rash on my inner arms! I haven’t changed shampoos or products that I’m using, all from different owners. I’m baffled!!
    Tk123, I have heard of being being allergic to shar pei before, something to do with the texture of the hairs I think. I’ve only met one but didn’t have a reaction!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I would have a guess the allergy issue is the breeds you talk of having their own skin issues and only lately being out on grass? Just a guess though..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

@SillyMango

I was thinking about it all day, it is entirely possible that it could be an ingredient in whatever food they are being given. I’m allergic to salmon & mollusks so I can’t feed Mr C anything that contains those in any form, handling that food would be problematic but also as the oils are also excreted via the skin I can have a reaction.

If you ask the owners what they are feeding them you might be able to pin it down. You could use some kind of nappy barrier cream before handling them as it will prevent penetration & thus limit your exposure.

Sorry for the long post, I am weirdly passionate about helping people deal with possible allergies...

+1 for grass, rolling in blossoms, running in meadow farms...

You know what actually.. I do suffer from hay fever and break out in rashes from certain grasses if I’ve been sitting out in it. And the fact it’s been happening the last few weeks would coincide with that! I have another cocker booked in next Friday, so I’ll try taking some antihistamine before she comes in and see if it makes a difference!

You know what actually.. I do suffer from hay fever and break out in rashes from certain grasses if I’ve been sitting out in it. And the fact it’s been happening the last few weeks would coincide with that! I have another cocker booked in next Friday, so I’ll try taking some antihistamine before she comes in and see if it makes a difference!

I take a prescribed one, but always have a bottle of the certrazine oral on hand for special occasions...

Me too with the grasses, I see the Luas guys blowing the cuttings all around & I’m like closes the flippin windows!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Puppies really are like human toddlers, Diefer got told off by Diesel, cue screaming and running to 'mum' to make it better. He is currently curled up in my lap, having crawled there after playing and is fighting the urge to sleep while watching what the other dogs are doing. I swear if he had a thumb, it would be in his mouth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

I think my 4yr old terrier is like a toddler too! :)

He refused to get off the bed this morning so I went to lift him and he threw his legs out and twisted away in the exact same fit of pique that my 15 month old godchild used last week when her nappy was being changed.

• Advertisement

Hay fever is very bad this year so yes to that. I think it is more intense as so many plants are late emerging after a long winter? So we are being assailed by more than usual..

Moose made his very first kill today. He coldly and viciously stalked and ate a butterfly. He was very proud of himself! :pac:

I went to the chemist about the reaction I was having to the dog hair; she said it’s atopic eczema so I now have a steroid cream for it. I have 2 cocker spaniels booked in tomorrow, so if it flares up again after them I’ll know more if it’s a breed thing or is it the grass in the coat as I haven’t had a bad flare since last weeks westies!

Duvet Day!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

muddypaws wrote: »
    Puppies really are like human toddlers, Diefer got told off by Diesel, cue screaming and running to 'mum' to make it better. He is currently curled up in my lap, having crawled there after playing and is fighting the urge to sleep while watching what the other dogs are doing. I swear if he had a thumb, it would be in his mouth.

Not just puppies, my fella is 10 next month, he wants to sit on my lap for cuddles sometimes, refuses to do things unless he wants to sometimes, answers back or sulks when you tell him no, and barks everytime the car slows down in a "are we there yet?" way.

Did Darkness into Light this morning with Riley, great to see quite a few dogs doing it, all well behaved. Walked 3 other dogs afterwards and then took the rest of the dogs out to the field for a run when I got home. All dogs tired out by 9am! Unfortunately I am now wrecked, so probably won't get much else done today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

muddypaws wrote: »
    Did Darkness into Light this morning with Riley, great to see quite a few dogs doing it, all well behaved. Walked 3 other dogs afterwards and then took the rest of the dogs out to the field for a run when I got home. All dogs tired out by 9am! Unfortunately I am now wrecked, so probably won't get much else done today

I spotted the dogs and thought it might've been you! Fair play, I had to go back to bed after it, got about an hour or twos sleep last night. Lovely morning for it, couldn't have asked for better weather :-)

Zapperzy wrote: »
    I spotted the dogs and thought it might've been you! Fair play, I had to go back to bed after it, got about an hour or twos sleep last night. Lovely morning for it, couldn't have asked for better weather :-)

Ah No, sorry to have missed you. I'm now on the sofa ready for my nap :)

Just really venting here but...

I was hoping to take a little trip with Khali and really wanted to go by train. Just looked it up and it's not allowed! Apparently you can bring a small dog on your lap but no dog bigger than that (unless guide or assistance).

This whole thing of discriminating against bigger dogs and assuming all small dogs are harmless really bothers me. No way could I bring my 'lapdog' on a train, he would definitely get stressed out and cause a fuss. Khali on the other hand would undoubtedly lie at my feet and not make a sound.

I do understand that a large dog could potentially take up space which would otherwise be used by a paying customer but surely provisions could be made for that? Like only being allowed at quieter times. The route I was looking at has some very quiet times and some very busy ones. I'd also be more than happy to stand at the back of a carriage if need be to allow someone to sit down. Loads of people stand there anyway regardless of how many seats are available.

I've always encountered dogs on public transport in other countries with no issues, so it can't be that big a deal!

Why can't Ireland be more dog friendly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

The usual argument is but what about the dog allergic and dog frightened. I'd love to know how these people cope in other countries because like you I've been in a lot of other European cities and in every single one of them dogs are just part of life, you see them in shops, outside cafes and on public transport. I've yet to see someone have an asthma attack or scream in fear at these dogs in other countries.

Love seeing well behaved dogs enjoying a day out with their owners having lunch or a coffee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I've taken my dogs to the UK and gone on trains and buses with them, no problem, the train they ask you sit in last carriage, buses depends on driver, but I've seen dogs on buses in the west end in London, including a large mix breed that looked part pony😂 (OK it was some kind of pointer mix I think, but bigger than pointer)
    The train on one trip the lady ticket collector kept coming back to see the doggies, 4 on that trip, she said it was the best part of the train.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement