Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

muddypaws wrote: »
    That proud moment in a puppy owner's life, not the first leg cock, but the first piece of cutlery taken off the kitchen worktop!

Hehehe

What about the first time you see them open a door? My chin dropped when Mr C did it... he’s got a bunny backside...we’re still working on that one...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

muddypaws wrote: »
    That proud moment in a puppy owner's life, not the first leg cock, but the first piece of cutlery taken off the kitchen worktop!

You have a puppy? Where's the pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭tk123

mymo wrote: »

'He's like a small horse' is how my Nana would have described him :pac::pac::pac:

Mr BB back in the vets today! Tummy/panc issues have been sorted by giving him a feed before I go to bed.. he was back for his laser therapy and repeat thyroid bloods.. I'm hoping it'll be low like she thinks (was low last week but he had no medicine as he was sick) then he'll need a slight increase, will loose weight and we'll need to feed him up anyways so he won't get fat with his midnight snack.. and LIGA :p:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭muddypaws

mymo wrote: »

I have put some up in the photo thread, will throw a few more up over the weekend. 5 months old now and 18kg, he's going to be a big pony :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

muddypaws wrote:
    I have put some up in the photo thread, will throw a few more up over the weekend. 5 months old now and 18kg, he's going to be a big pony

Oh my word, that's heavier than both mine together and he still has growing to do!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Booked the seminar for John Bradshaw. Funnily enough he was the guy who started it all for me. Super excited. :D

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

One of my favourite authors, VonVix! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

So got two absolute fussy young cats. They're about 8 and 9 months old and have been trying to feed them good food advised on here bought from zooplus. Animonda Carny, Catz Finefood, Taste of the Wild, Ferenga duo etc etc and if both of them don't turn their noses up at it one of them does. Starting to tick me off tbh. Last night as a test I gave them Tesco kitten pouches I'd left over from months ago and they gobbled it up. I'm guessing it's the jelly since the dear ones are all pate types. I'd also tried Bozita as it's closer to jelly but it gives them the runs. They also have a good quality dry available Applaws, Porta 21, Taste of the wild etc etc which they also both eat fine.

So question is would I be better just leaving them eat the quality dry with some of the good wet every 2-3 days or just give them their damn Tesco pouches daily?. Or just put out the good food and they eat it or go hungry?. Spoiled gits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

My kitten was the same, turned his nose up at all those fancy pate type foods even though they were what he was weaned onto. So we made a little compromise with James wellbeloved pouches, they’re grain free so i feel better and they’re chunks in gravy so he doesn’t mind eating them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

My kitten was the same, turned his nose up at all those fancy pate type foods even though they were what he was weaned onto. So we made a little compromise with James wellbeloved pouches, they’re grain free so i feel better and they’re chunks in gravy so he doesn’t mind eating them :D

Looking for something around the €4/kg mark. If they'd just eat Animonda Carny and be happy but no, they like Tesco garbage. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Joshua J wrote: »
    Looking for something around the €4/kg mark. If they'd just eat Animonda Carny and be happy but no, they like Tesco garbage. :mad:

Mine are happy campers with tesco, dunnes, aldi lidl.. tins that is... and raw chicken.. They
    thrive which is what matters..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Joshua J wrote: »

Cats are just incredible. I have two rescues here, one was skeletal and took her to the vet, thinking it would be a one way visit - she was half-dead. Roll forward now, and I have one, super-fussy wont eat anything except posh (i.e expensive) tiny pouches of gravy or jelly pieces only (never pate! never tinned! never cheap!) and then theres the other, recovered-skeleton, a fat little lump who is getting decidedly fussy/picky now too :mad:

My lovely uncomplicated dogs always eat anything you put it in their bowl...

aonb wrote: »
    Cats are just incredible. I have two rescues here, one was skeletal and took her to the vet, thinking it would be a one way visit - she was half-dead. Roll forward now, and I have one, super-fussy wont eat anything except posh (i.e expensive) tiny pouches of gravy or jelly pieces only (never pate! never tinned! never cheap!) and then theres the other, recovered-skeleton, a fat little lump who is getting decidedly fussy/picky now too :mad:

My lovely uncomplicated dogs always eat anything you put it in their bowl...

Yeah the ones who have nearly died know how to live! I had one like that who would not eat anything except tinned tuna, which i had tried when she was so sick.
    Memories of taking a jar of it when I brought her to Ireland; sitting in the
    lounge at Edinburgh Airport feeding her tuna.... Now it is eat or go hungry and they know that! Same as for me. ;)

Graces7 wrote: »
    Yeah the ones who have nearly died know how to live! I had one like that who would not eat anything except tinned tuna, which i had tried when she was so sick.
    Memories of taking a jar of it when I brought her to Ireland; sitting in the
    lounge at Edinburgh Airport feeding her tuna.... Now it is eat or go hungry and they know that! Same as for me. ;)

Im a softie - especially when they had such a tough life before they came here... I thought (being a cat novice) that cats "shouldnt" go without food for too long? Have been reluctant to let them starve to force them to eat whats offered. I know my first rescue would wear me down, she has no real interest in food - eats very little and only when shes obviously hungry - the other one would eat all day - but is getting selective - the vet reckons she is approx 4 years old, how could I let her go hungry :o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Cats are masterminds! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

A lovely lady collecting her dog from me brought me some free range eggs. My god the differerence in them is unreal compared to the shop brought eggs. You hen owners are very lucky.

Im a softie - especially when they had such a tough life before they came here... I thought (being a cat novice) that cats "shouldnt" go without food for too long? Have been reluctant to let them starve to force them to eat whats offered. I know my first rescue would wear me down, she has no real interest in food - eats very little and only when shes obviously hungry - the other one would eat all day - but is getting selective - the vet reckons she is approx 4 years old, how could I let her go hungry :o:o:o

Yes I know what you mean.. bu they are crafty are cats.They pretend to ignore the food to worry us,but somehow it vanishes later.... I can only shop occasionally so they have to eat what they get. And that seems fine ... Never had a cat starve itself but how they can blackmail us!

And they get raw chicken almost every day... as well as cat food.

Knine wrote: »
    A lovely lady collecting her dog from me brought me some free range eggs. My god the differerence in them is unreal compared to the shop brought eggs. You hen owners are very lucky.

I agree totally. I had forgotten until my kind neighbours gave me some Took me back to self sufficiiency days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

We always get free range eggs from my granny’s hens, I always hate when they stop laying and we have to go back to shop bought. They’re so bland in comparison!

Im amazed that more people dont keep hens. They're so low maintenance - needing only a safe place to sleep (from predators) - and a run to keep them from decimating your garden. Four hens need very little space, and make for such lovely interesting past-time - even before the wonderful eggs are factored in

• Advertisement

Im amazed that more people dont keep hens. They're so low maintenance - needing only a safe place to sleep (from predators) - and a run to keep them from decimating your garden. Four hens need very little space, and make for such lovely interesting past-time - even before the wonderful eggs are factored in

Stop it. Stop it now. I have enough to look after

One of the families that comes to my puppy classes each week keeps hens, they turn up each week with 6 eggs for me. Thankfully they foster pups, so will be coming to classes for a long time yet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Hahaha, jus asked my hubby how much space they need, he said more than we have...I’m like but they could use the spare bedroom!

I saw on Facebook that you can rent some out for a few months. Tempting.

The Eggs The Eggs The Eggs The Eggs The Eggs The Eggs The Eggs The Eggs
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I saw on Facebook that you can rent some out for a few months. Tempting.

Or you could get some rescues from a battery - just think, THE EGGS!! aaaannnndddd you're rescuing some poor miserable defenseless little battery hens!

I would love to take some rescue ex battery hens on, but I have a fear of birds. Probably started by my Grandparents' neighbours hens chasing us around when I was a kid.

Or you could get some rescues from a battery - just think, THE EGGS!! aaaannnndddd you're rescuing some poor miserable defenseless little battery hens!

My friend did this & by God the difference in them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

There's one of the rescues I follow on Facebook do runs every now and again all over the country with rescued ex battery hens. I would really love some chickens but I fear they might drown in our garden at the mo! I really think kids these days(holy feck I opened my mouth and out came my mother) are missing out big time. We're covering the topic of The Farm at the minute with Junior Infants and the amount of kids that don't actually know where their food comes from is unreal. The look of shock(or disgust I'm not too sure) on one child's face when another enlightened them to the fact that we get milk from cows was unreal.

• Advertisement

Bells21 wrote: »
    There's one of the rescues I follow on Facebook do runs every now and again all over the country with rescued ex battery hens. I would really love some chickens but I fear they might drown in our garden at the mo! I really think kids these days(holy feck I opened my mouth and out came my mother) are missing out big time. We're covering the topic of The Farm at the minute with Junior Infants and the amount of kids that don't actually know where their food comes from is unreal. The look of shock(or disgust I'm not too sure) on one child's face when another enlightened them to the fact that we get milk from cows was unreal.

I used to get ex battery hens. They are .. smiling here.. they do not know how to scratch the ground for food etc and watching the skills return is amazing. Also they are very tame and friendly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement