Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Oh poor Toby - it's like they wait until you make plans isn't it? :p

Well we had a quiet enough weekend - managed to get out with Bailey for two long walks to the dunes on saturday (because we didn't have Ms. Pooroller with us) and then to St Annes yesterday - me and my friend went on the zip line lol!!! :pac: :D
    Lucy has been pretty quiet and we think maybe a little sore - the new bandage isn't padded as much as the first one so maybe she's feeling it a bit more? Bailey had a good sniff of it yesterday - we're hoping just being nosey and not because it's infected - I had a sniff and it just smelt like a normal dog paw. We're back again tonight for another check and possibly the bandage will come off and we'll be left with the stitches to either mind for a week or let wear down themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I nabbed Toby and got him in to the vet for a shot of antibiotic. He's not a happy puddy cat. He's making meeping noises and sprawled on the Fusion scratchy post/lounger. I think he's fighting sleep in case I nab him again. I'm supposed to be in Limerick looking for a pair of trousers but that's going to have to wait til tomorrow, I hate clothes shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I accidentally ordered Tuna flavour cat food instead of chicken in my last zoo plus order. I'm praying miss fussy peach has gotten over her fish aversion!

I usually clean abcesses with tepid salty water but our vet suggested using Hibiscrub. I forgot to ask her how much hibiscrub to add to the water. Does anyone know how much I should add?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I usually clean abcesses with tepid salty water but our vet suggested using Hibiscrub. I forgot to ask her how much hibiscrub to add to the water. Does anyone know how much I should add?

It's usually 1:10, 1 part hibiscrub to 10 parts water.

• Advertisement

Poor Lucy was in state in the vets - very stressed out and afraid. Wound is healing well but a bit sticky so they clean it up and she got another bandage - much thicker than last time to cushion it and back on Thurs. I'm thinking of taking Bailey along too as her service dog to offer emotional support lol!! Last time they went asleep beside each other not a bother on them

tk123 wrote: »
    Poor Lucy was in state in the vets - very stressed out and afraid. Wound is healing well but a bit sticky so they clean it up and she got another bandage - much thicker than last time to cushion it and back on Thurs. I'm thinking of taking Bailey along too as her service dog to offer emotional support lol!! Last time they went asleep beside each other not a bother on them

Poor Lucy, I hope she heals up soon!!

I got a remote controlled mouse and two catnip moustaches with my zoo plus order today, the cats are terrified of the mouse but love the moustaches!
    Also found out that snapchat is a great invention for finding out my cats whereabouts, couldn't find dude earlier then I get a snapchat from my neighbour, he was conked out under their trampoline! So she said she'd send me pictures now anytime he visits them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

So Poppy was limping since Saturday, thought I would have to bring her to the vets tomorrow. I was cleaning it and she give me a 'I'm dying' look since Saturday. I washed her today and miraculously she is cured of her limp. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Then tonight was playing fetch and not a bother. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I'm in bed surrounded by animals as my daughter shut her door to let little kitten loose for the night, I'm glad he's going shortly to his new home, she's getting far too attached!

I fed our 4 around 5ish, Toby appeared from the fields again. The vet thinks he might be going after rats and that it might be the cause of the abcesses on his head, kind of makes sense really, even though the only thing he's ever brought home was 1 mouse. He heard me coming downstairs half an hour ago and did a runner in case I was going to take him to the vet again.:D I've got to go shopping for trousers this morning, I hate that, there's nothing quite like trying to squeeze yourself into clothes in front of very non flattering mirrors to squash your ego. Cream cake anyone?:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Poor old Didge had a really bad mouth infection for a long time, anti-biotics did nothing for it. Was diagnosed as an idiopathic auto immune problem, she was put on high dose steroids for a couple of weeks and we've been decreasing the dose, as cleared up really nicely. But tonight she's been panting lots and licking her lips, so I don't know if its coming back again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

muddypaws wrote: »
    Poor old Didge had a really bad mouth infection for a long time, anti-biotics did nothing for it. Was diagnosed as an idiopathic auto immune problem, she was put on high dose steroids for a couple of weeks and we've been decreasing the dose, as cleared up really nicely. But tonight she's been panting lots and licking her lips, so I don't know if its coming back again :(

:( Would you consider trying golden paste? It's more a longterm help than something that'd work for an acute attack though.

Dubl07 wrote: »
    :( Would you consider trying golden paste? It's more a longterm help than something that'd work for an acute attack though.

I've not heard of it, what is it please, I'll try anything :)

Cook ½ cup of organic turmeric powder with a cup of boiled water over a gentle heat until you get a paste. It might need a touch more water.
    Add a tsp of freshly ground black pepper and a good spoonful of an oil your dog might like - we like coconut oil.

The curcumin (active part of the turmeric) is a powerful anti-inflammatory but it isn't very digestible in its dry form. The gentle heat and the piperin in the black pepper plus the oil vastly increases the bioavailability.

Store the paste in the fridge in a sterilised jar. A ½ tsp twice a day to start with, then increase (taking Didge is a husky?) to up to a tbsp at a time several times a day perhaps. Some dogs like it. Mine gets it in some yoghurt or swirled into a casserole dinner.

There's a user group on FB who would give more advice. I'm taking it myself and giving my dog some when she gets itchy. Owners have reported excellent benefits for dogs and horses. I really hope it helps.

If you're making GP to feed long term I'd advise not using coconut oil to avoid getting the cat wee smell(!) I've made it twice (although with the recipe from FB) with coconut oil and had to stop giving it to Bailey because he was stinking even after weeks on it when it's is supposed to wear off. I was using creylon cinnamon in it too that'a supposed to keep the smell down..after the last stinky batch I read a tip saying people had no smell using olive oil but haven't gotten around to trying it. I still have bags of turmeric liver cake in the freezer but a couple of pieces will have him stinking again lol! :p

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Cook ½ cup of organic turmeric powder with a cup of boiled water over a gentle heat until you get a paste. It might need a touch more water.
    Add a tsp of freshly ground black pepper and a good spoonful of an oil your dog might like - we like coconut oil.

The curcumin (active part of the turmeric) is a powerful anti-inflammatory but it isn't very digestible in its dry form. The gentle heat and the piperin in the black pepper plus the oil vastly increases the bioavailability.

Store the paste in the fridge in a sterilised jar. A ½ tsp twice a day to start with, then increase (taking Didge is a husky?) to up to a tbsp at a time several times a day perhaps. Some dogs like it. Mine gets it in some yoghurt or swirled into a casserole dinner.

There's a user group on FB who would give more advice. I'm taking it myself and giving my dog some when she gets itchy. Owners have reported excellent benefits for dogs and horses. I really hope it helps.

Thank you. Shock horror, no, she's not a husky lol she's an aussie shepherd cross, hence her name, short for didgeridoo. :D

muddypaws wrote: »
    Thank you. Shock horror, no, she's not a husky lol she's an aussie shepherd cross, hence her name, short for didgeridoo. :D

Brilliant name! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

So... does anyone else find yourself apologising to your cat when you walk in on them using their litter tray? :o

All these threads about people being terrorised by cats!! When I win the lotto and buy a house with a nice sized garden I'm going to escape proof the fencing and get a load of them lol!! :D

We got home from Dublin this afternoon to absolute indifference from 3 of our 4 that we'd been gone since the previous day. In fact as soon as we got in Felix strolled out the cat flap to bask in the sun.:rolleyes: Toby arrived home an hour later, I heard him meowing in the garden and found him on top of the oil tank while Felix sprawled in front of the cat flap preventing him from getting in. I went to lift him down and carry him in but he gave me the huffy snappy thing to warn me he wasn't having any of it. I suspect Felix gave him a rough time while we were away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Shivi111

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    So... does anyone else find yourself apologising to your cat when you walk in on them using their litter tray? :o

Yep!
    And Sometimes I have to queue for the bathroom in the mornings, cats get to go first, I have to wait!

God a pretty awful trip to the vets there for poor Lucy girl! Brought big-bro along for support who in fairness did a great job helping her settle in the waiting room but he cried at the examination room door the whole time we were there :o Vet decided the stitches were too tight and had done all they were going to do and had to come out but it took the best part of an hour! Two of us holding her while the vet tried to get them out. The heartbroken cries out of her - never heard her making noises like that before :( Anyways another bandage that I can take off myself on Monday. Most of it has closed but a small section opened up but should be fine. Poor baba!!! Knocked out now asleep

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

POOR LUCY!!
    Is there anything worse.
    We used to bring both dogs in to the examination room when the anxious dog was having anything done. Our tough old seen-it-all dog used to have to be muzzled when the vet did anything to him :D

Maybe a bit of calmer before she goes next time after that horrible experience! Is she a total wimp (like mine)?

Yeah Bailey is muzzled for his blood tests although last time it was taken from his neck which he didn't mind at all so probably would be ok without it! I figured out last night that she's afraid of the side room we were in on Monday night - that's where they take them through to the back so where they would have taken her when she was being spayed. The shutters were down so we had to go out the "front door" via that room and had to drag her in! She got tired a few times yesterday and lay down so we ended up having to hold like that for a few mins and that's when she cried. It had to be done though because she cut have been cut by the blade if we weren't able to hold her. Everyone telling he she was good the whole time - poor baba. Once we got out to the empty waiting room they were both doing tricks because they knew they were going home - Bailey doing his part piece of bowing :p She slept glued to me last night - roasted alive!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I had to get Coco sedated for all her bandage changes on her nail. While she gets stressed at the vets I had never heard her cry in pain like she did when we first went in and they were trying to see what the damage was (entire nail casing gone and what was left of the under part of the nail was split, and it was a regular nail, not a dewclaw so would be hitting off the ground with every step)
    So sedation for the first bandage and even thereafter she was just too sore so she had to go under for her dressing changes. She does get stressed but has no problem getting injections, but this must have been so sensitive, so she can empathise with poor Lucy!

Vet said if she managed to get the bandage off (she knows she's no to touch it) or if it gets wet over the weekend to just take it off and leave it at that so half tempted to take it off on Sunday! :p Poor dogs they were so happy to being going out for a walk together and then I tricked them :D A funny thing happened though - there was a JRT looking Beagle in the waiting room when we got there - had Bailey tormented smelling his bum, standing up on him to smell inside his ears etc etc - Bailey turned his head and ignored him but it was annoying him. Next somebody came out from being with the vets and told them "that's enough now - take him back to you and don't let him continue being bold like that because that other dog is being far to patient with him" hahaha they were pi$$ed off :D

Dude went in for his vaccines today, his scald isn't infected thank god! The vet is delighted with him, he's such a healthy happy little cat. Well I should say big cat, he's put on a kilo since his last visit which is great as he had lost so much weight when he had a constant runny bum! Couldn't be happier with my little man :D (well if he'd stop peeing on me id be a tad happier :P )

tk123 wrote: »
    If you're making GP to feed long term I'd advise not using coconut oil to avoid getting the cat wee smell(!) I've made it twice (although with the recipe from FB) with coconut oil and had to stop giving it to Bailey because he was stinking even after weeks on it when it's is supposed to wear off. I was using creylon cinnamon in it too that'a supposed to keep the smell down..after the last stinky batch I read a tip saying people had no smell using olive oil but haven't gotten around to trying it. I still have bags of turmeric liver cake in the freezer but a couple of pieces will have him stinking again lol! :p

I was thinking about that. (To the extent of asking a few family members if I smell funny! :D ) but so far we've not experienced a cat pee odour. That being said, I came across this article today which may be of interest to you and to muddypaws.

Is Coconut oil useful for dogs?

Perhaps beef dripping, lard or lamb suet would be a better choice for canines?

How's Didge (ery) doing, muddypaws?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

DSC_0340_zpsf7yf5owc.jpg

I feel like a bad cat parent, she was hyper and getting in my way, so I put some TV on for her and she's been sitting watching itlike this the last 40 minutes

• Advertisement

Well, last night 3 of our 4 cats made up for ignoring us when we got back yesterday evening. They kept jumping on me at stupid o'clock in the morning to check that we were still there. Toby spent the night wherever it is that he lodges at night and arrived home for lunch.:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement