Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Professor Applesauce just reminded me of Finbarr Cobblepot!! Goddammit I need to go find that thread again and demand an update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Toby seems intent on dividing his time between us and the other house he visits. He's staying out all night and came home clearly having had breakfast elsewhere. I'm not happy about it and it annoys me that there's nothing I can do to stop it. On a happier note, Felix is more chilled out than I've seen him for years. He's happily purring away randomly for no apparent reason and being oddly chatty and attention seeking. He's having his ears checked tomorrow and hopefully there's nothing nasty going on in them. Poor chap has had more than his fair share of surgeries and ear problems over the years. I can't believe he's 8 already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Swanson was doing that for AGES. Then obviously the other people moved away or shut him out because he started being at home more often.

It was grand really. I think they were brushing him, he'd come home really shiny.

I wish Kovu would go get fed elsewhere, he was on hunger strike for two days when we dared buy him Whiskas instead of his usual duck cat food. (Bold autocorrect, you weren't supposed to change that word!)
    Speaking to the neighbours last week and he's just known as the Big Cat who chases the dog....he's up in the attic again now. I've upgraded him from runnng up the Staira stairs to jumping up 1/3 of the way up by not unfolding the last part of it. Still hasn't deterred him though!

reallyrose wrote: »
    Swanson was doing that for AGES. Then obviously the other people moved away or shut him out because he started being at home more often.

It was grand really. I think they were brushing him, he'd come home really shiny.

That's another thing, he's suddenly developed a love of brushing where before he'd tolerate it for a minute or so before making a warning bitey motion to tell me he'd had enough. The houses I've seen him around have kids and I think he's probably getting lots of attention, plus sleeping on the bed without having to worry about 8 kilos of Felix pouncing on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

That's another thing, he's suddenly developed a love of brushing where before he'd tolerate it for a minute or so before making a warning bitey motion to tell me he'd had enough. The houses I've seen him around have kids and I think he's probably getting lots of attention, plus sleeping on the bed without having to worry about 8 kilos of Felix pouncing on him.

Ahhh now you're making me feel guilty! We had a neighbour whose cat used to visit us most days. He'd be there to say good morning, and visit at night too... The neighbours had two lovely but boisterous children, and it was clear on weekends when he'd had enough of being bothered, he came to visit us. A lot of the time he would stroll straight past us on the couch, and go and sleep upstairs on one of the beds. We loved him visiting as we were renting, so no pets, and the neighbours knew where he was, and we did pet sit when they were away, but now I feel guilty!

It was the main motivator when we brought and moved, we missed our furry visitor and even chose princess foxy as she had similar colouring to our neighbours cat

(That, and she seemed so emotionally damaged we didn't think anyone else would ever adopt her.. We felt like her last chance)

on_my_oe wrote: »
    Ahhh now you're making me feel guilty! We had a neighbour whose cat used to visit us most days. He'd be there to say good morning, and visit at night too... The neighbours had two lovely but boisterous children, and it was clear on weekends when he'd had enough of being bothered, he came to visit us. A lot of the time he would stroll straight past us on the couch, and go and sleep upstairs on one of the beds. We loved him visiting as we were renting, so no pets, and the neighbours knew where he was, and we did pet sit when they were away, but now I feel guilty!

It was the main motivator when we brought and moved, we missed our furry visitor and even chose princess foxy as she had similar colouring to our neighbours cat

(That, and she seemed so emotionally damaged we didn't think anyone else would ever adopt her.. We felt like her last chance)

It's the fact that he's crossing a busy road to get there that worries me. If he was going to a neighbour in the terrace who liked cats it wouldn't really be an issue. I'd rather have neighbours that love cats than ones that don't, sadly we have the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I bought a nail clippers for Sparky today. I spend time getting him used to them, he was sniffing them and eating treats off them, getting treats for letting my hold his paws with the clippers on the nails, all of that. But still, he wriggles like a petulent toddler!

I finally clipped one of them when he was calm enough, his dewclaw because it was the most in need, and the yelp out of him! I was convinced I'd cut too deep; turns out he's just a wuss :pac:

He's booked in for his first grooming next week so they'll do his nails properly then, and the vet did them about 6 weeks ago, so I'm not worried about them....I just want to know that I'll be able to maintain them myself in between visits without him hating me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Woke up feeling like I have a hairball in my throat... hack...

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

I have to take Felix back to the vet in the morning. He's got a load of gunk compacted so tightly in his bad ear that she couldn't get it all out and he's going to be anaesthetised to have it done tomorrow, so I'm getting his teeth cleaned when he's under as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'm gagging even typing this but after a good run of not rolling in poo in the mornings Lucy rolled on Monday (her t-shirt took most of the damage thank god - so worth the funny looks! :p ) and then yesterday **puke puke puke** she ATE poo!! It was all over her mouth and tongue and **puke** - she kept coming over to me because she knew I was in distress lol! :p I threw loads of treats in the river so she'd at least clean her face and mouth. Only problem is she now has an upset tummy. Hoping it clears up or I'll have to go to the vet and explain she ate poo! LOL Just after it happened I was telling another walker who thought it was both gross and funny - told me this morning that her little dog went on to eat it too! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I left a bag of bird seed on the kitchen counter yesterday. I normally don't leave "food" lying around, but I didn't think the dogs would be interested. Guess what, they were! I spent half my walk this morning picking up poo covered bird seed. :rolleyes:

Felix is fasting for his anaesthetic this morning and when one has to fast I fast the other 3 because it's not fair to the one who can't have food. It's been a very very very long night with 4 cats taking turns trying to get me up to feed them. I'll put the food down soon when I get Felix in the carrier. I hate when they have to be knocked out, it's like time slows down when you're waiting to hear that they're ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Felix is fasting for his anaesthetic this morning and when one has to fast I fast the other 3 because it's not fair to the one who can't have food. It's been a very very very long night with 4 cats taking turns trying to get me up to feed them. I'll put the food down soon when I get Felix in the carrier. I hate when they have to be knocked out, it's like time slows down when you're waiting to hear that they're ok.

Poor pusskins. Felix won't know himself when he wakes up. :)

Have you tried Thornit powder for his ears to prevent wax buildup? It works brilliantly on my dog and their info says it also works for cats and rabbits.

Kovu wrote: »
    I wish Kovu would go get fed elsewhere, he was on hunger strike for two days when we dared buy him Whiskas instead of his usual duck cat food. (Bold autocorrect, you weren't supposed to change that word!)
    Speaking to the neighbours last week and he's just known as the Big Cat who chases the dog....he's up in the attic again now. I've upgraded him from runnng up the Staira stairs to jumping up 1/3 of the way up by not unfolding the last part of it. Still hasn't deterred him though!

Does Kovu ever make huffing noises? Felix and Toby are big cats and when they're annoyed about something they'll make a huff sound, the other 2 are average size and don't do it. :D

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Poor pusskins. Felix won't know himself when he wakes up. :)

Have you tried Thornit powder for his ears to prevent wax buildup? It works brilliantly on my dog and their info says it also works for cats and rabbits.

I don't put anything in his ears as the one he had the polyp in is smaller after the surgery and there's a hole in the membrane so we have to be very careful even with prescription drops. I'll never forget the smell of his ear as he walked up to me when he first showed up in our garden. He was only about a year old at most and it would have been a problem he'd had for a long time. I don't know how people can leave animals to suffer.

Does Kovu ever make huffing noises? Felix and Toby are big cats and when they're annoyed about something they'll make a huff sound, the other 2 are average size and don't do it. :D

Yup. If he's rightly P-ed off at something he makes a puffy huff noise. Not a sigh but like an irritated breath. Almost like he's thinking ''The fcuk can I do about this now''

I nearly speak him now at this stage, I know all his wee whinges and miaows. Like the other morning he was whinging outside my door so dad opened the attic for him, but he wouldn't go up. I got up, gave him food and then he went up to the attic for his big sleeps. I can't figure Squeak out as well because she non stop miaows and squeaks around the place. The cutest one they both make is their welcome 'trill' for each other before they touch noses. It's so squeeeee adorable :D

Hope Felix gets on well today, let us know when he comes home and how he is!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Anyone want a dog???......

Just out of the shower to find that Elly has peed all over our bed.... The one I changed yesterday!

It's gone through duvet, pillows, mattress protector, topper - thankfully it didn't make it through to the mattress though.

I am wrong to feel glad she's off to the vets tomorrow for spaying???? Payback!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Has anyone been watching Britians Got Talent this year? Good few dog acts in it! The little terrier who set the new world record for bursting balloons was hilarious, and Jules and Matisse are just brilliant, I think they could easily be winners. But the ventriloquist whose going to be on tonight is just a step too far for me. In the audition, the dog looked quite uncomfortable to me! Which is understandable, I can't imagine having some sort of electronic mouth piece is the most comfortable thing in the world. He's not even a good ventriloquist anyway, could see his mouth moving every time!

I saw a dog there when I was out at lunch tied up outside Dealz - a skin tight prong collar AND flexi lead. Like how does that even make sense - here take some freedom but get strangled at the same time! :mad:

Anyways me and Bailey going for our thyroid bloods tomorrow morn - I hope I win :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

tk123 wrote: »
    I'm gagging even typing this but after a good run of not rolling in poo in the mornings Lucy rolled on Monday (her t-shirt took most of the damage thank god - so worth the funny looks! :p ) and then yesterday **puke puke puke** she ATE poo!! It was all over her mouth and tongue and **puke** - she kept coming over to me because she knew I was in distress lol! :p I threw loads of treats in the river so she'd at least clean her face and mouth. Only problem is she now has an upset tummy. Hoping it clears up or I'll have to go to the vet and explain she ate poo! LOL Just after it happened I was telling another walker who thought it was both gross and funny - told me this morning that her little dog went on to eat it too! :pac:

I laughed reading this, and then today we got the septic tank emptied. A tiny bit of it spilled onto the grass when they were pulling the hose out so Coco rolled in it :eek:. All over her neck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Came home after a very stressful day, dogs and cats delighted to see me as usual, but best thing ever is having a teeny kitten purr itself to sleep on you!
    Such a sweet baby, will have to start looking for homes soon, hate to think someone dumped the poor baby.

Felix is sound asleep on the kitchen table, just inches from the hot radiator. We agreed a compromise a couple of weeks ago when I switched from a large cat bed on the table to a sheet of Vet bed, we don't use the table much. :D He's worn out from his adventures at the vet. Toby's exhausted as well for some reason, he's on his big fleece blanket covered dog bed having strange purry, meepy and snoring dreams. :)

I laughed reading this, and then today we got the septic tank emptied. A tiny bit of it spilled onto the grass when they were pulling the hose out so Coco rolled in it :eek:. All over her neck!

:D

Damn I would have given you a snood for her when I was up with you - I got some extra for Lucy for when it's flooding season in the park and the birds are forced up on the bank and poo all over it lol!! :D

walking down past the park earlier (the far gate is left open so we have to go around in a circle to get in) one of the park dogs runs up to the railings to us. I knew straight away he was on his own. No collar on him and I don't have his owner's number so a network of texts going around between all the different owners! We think she might be away because a local kid was walking them yesterday. I had Bailey's calming band in my bag and wrapped around twice it fits him for a collar so we'll take him home with us once the other gates open!

Well miss destructive decided to rip apart the foam from our mattress topper. OH in his wisdom decided to leave her in our bedroom unsupervised whilst he was in the shower.

So today I have to pay for a duvet to be cleaned, a new mattress topper and for her to be spayed! There goes the food budget for the week ;)

angeldaisy wrote: »
    There goes the food budget for the week ;)

For the humans because the dogs will never go hungry lol!! :p

tk123 wrote: »
    For the humans because the dogs will never go hungry lol!! :p

Of course!!

Elly went in happily to the vet this morning, everyone got a fuss!
    She's having her nails clipped and her rear dew claws removed as well. They are barely attached and I'm terrified she'll rip them.

Tara doesn't seem to be missing her and seems to be enjoying the peace and quiet! We're also enjoying the peace! Well until 5 anyway...

Bailey had his bloods taken from his jugular today - I thought he'd give out but it was so much easier and less stress for him. He's had one to many IVs and blood tests in his poor legs that he doesn't like them being touched. Full bloods, liver and titres - they have to come back to me with the price because nobody has ever asked for titres before lol! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

My granny had been asking me for ages to find her a couple of kittens for her farm but I was hesitant about it because I was afraid of small kittens not being able to survive on their own up there but we found the perfect solution.
    My Mams friend had a cat which they got neutered while she was pregnant so her hormones are a bit all over the place, so in her hormonal state she managed to steal a litter of kittens. Kittens are now 10 weeks so it was time to move on, and again I was afraid to give them to my gran because they're still small but she wanted the mother cat too! So fake mammy cat is still minding her babies and babies are very settled because their mammy is still with them :)
    So now all three are cosy and settled in their shed to adjust to the place for a few weeks, and because the "mother" cat is already neutered she won't be over run with kittens! I'll just have to steal the babies back in a few weeks to get them done too.
    Plus they're all really friendly which my gran is delighted with because she's used to ferals, it's nice for her to have a pet cat for a change. She was in the shed with them having great rubs with the mammy cat when I was leaving :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement