Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Very hard to get up this morning. Swanson was on major hug mode, kept trying to crawl in for pets.

Cats have a perfect sense for when being cute is most devastating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I think I know who are feline nocturnal visitor was. The people across the street got 2 cats a while ago and I found Toby on top of their wall last night talking to/shouting at one of them.:rolleyes:

reallyrose wrote: »
    Very hard to get up this morning. Swanson was on major hug mode, kept trying to crawl in for pets.

Cats have a perfect sense for when being cute is most devastating.

HE DID IT AGAIN THIS MORNING!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

what's going on?
    Anyone else's cats into a murderous rampage?

3 of ours have been grumbling and growling today, and I have disposed of a couple of mice, a rat, a bird and a rabbit, the second rabbit ruby ate.
    Tobys arch nemisis (the pheasant that comes to the field outside sometimes) nearly met his maker too.
    Jake slept though it all, he's never killed anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Ours are always on a murderous rampage. I'm thinking of building a little altar under my bedroom window for all the random pieces of animal that end up there. There was a perfectly decapitated mouse there this morning, no other mark on him at all, just looked like his head happened to fall off.

This time of year I have to check their mouth when they come in the window at 3/4/5am as there could be added extras with them. But as I never turn a light on, the easiest way is to just clamp my hand over their mouth as they poke their head in. Poor cats are used to it at this stage but the first few time they were probably think 'wtf is hooman at now'' :D

• Advertisement

We get something most days, but that lot was all in one day!

I know what you mean about checking their mouths, Arrabella got her first mouse a while ago and tried to run up to my daughters room with it, daughter was in bed and has been presented with dead flies and spiders on her pillow before (screams over the spider were impressive).

I walked into the kitchen to find Toby sprawled out washing his paws with a dead rabbit beside him, and Arrabella brought me a mouse, although she swapped it for a piece of chicken.

Just seemed to be rather a lot yesterday, I spotted 2 more bodies under the garden chairs this morning, I must have missed them as they were in all night.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I don't have cats but my two dogs have been on a hunting spree too. We have loads of shrews in the garden and surrounding fields. They go mental over them. Killed at least two that I know of this week :-(

I put a lovely red reflective collar on Toby late on Friday night, he came home this morning, Sunday, with no collar.:rolleyes: Either he lost it or the other people he visits took it off him. He's getting another reflective collar on today and if that one disappears the 3rd one he gets will have a note under it telling the people he visits that if it's them taking his collar off they'd better leave it on unless they want to pay for his food, vaccinations, pet insurance, flea/worm treatments and vet trips.

Swanson is a certified eejit and can't hunt but he did bring in a crisp packet and a sausage roll from outside over the weekend so maybe he has the bloodlust too.

think Elly is turning into a bit of a magpie... so far in the past week I have found - on my bed - always MY bed - nail clippers, hair brush, comb, pens and this morning my glasses!

So far the only thing that has been chewed is the pens - thought she'd been injured one day, until I realised the red all over her paws was from the red biro she destroyed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Swanson is a certified eejit and can't hunt but he did bring in a crisp packet and a sausage roll from outside over the weekend so maybe he has the bloodlust too.

Dont complain!!! Better a crisp packet & sausage roll (did he not just gobble it up?!?!?) than a half dead or long dead rodent/rabbit/bird :)

aonb wrote: »
    Dont complain!!! Better a crisp packet & sausage roll (did he not just gobble it up?!?!?) than a half dead or long dead rodent/rabbit/bird :)

I'm not complaining, I'm just a bit ... sort of ... bemused. He brought the sausage roll in so he show it to me and then chase it and then put it in his box.

He's brought in a lot of random things. Sticks, a piece of door insulation, a button, a pine cone. Mint wrappers. Once, he brought in a kitten and it lived with us for about 8 months.

If we could only train him to bring wallets home...

I'm glad our 4 cats haven't killed much lately. Jazzy was a nightmare for it. There was one night last year when he brought in a live mouse in the early hours and while my husband was trying to catch and release it he'd another one brought in from somewhere as soon as the first one was put out the front door.:confused: Felix catches things the odd time but doesn't hurt them, he just gently holds them in his mouth and looks a bit bewildered as to what he should do with them.:D

Poppy couldn't give a monkeys about killing anything, but is a lunatic with toys. Toby has brought home a live mouse once, but I suspect he's a killing machine that doesn't bring stuff home. Jazzy came home with feathers all around his mouth last month, but if he kills a bird it's usually a starling and he always eats them. His feral origins I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I'm not complaining, I'm just a bit ... sort of ... bemused. He brought the sausage roll in so he show it to me and then chase it and then put it in his box.

He's brought in a lot of random things. Sticks, a piece of door insulation, a button, a pine cone. Mint wrappers. Once, he brought in a kitten and it lived with us for about 8 months.

If we could only train him to bring wallets home...

Yes he sounds a bit daft and lovely! I have one that has zero "killer instinct" - he is a bit intellectually challenged :rolleyes: - but a gorgeous little fool. We've had dogs that would hunt for Ireland, and had the "red haze" decend when it comes to small furry defenseless animals, and its so much easier having a daft git :)

I just realised I forgot to buy cat food when we did the shopping on Friday:confused: Still waiting for the Zooplus delivery of Bozita that probably won't come until tomorrow and now I'm going to have to go to the town centre and get some pouches. Am dying with a head cold and raw throat and shattered from coughing all night. I just want to curl up in bed with some vaporub and a hot whisky with lemon and honey. God forbid they should have to slum it on dry food alone.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Have had a lovely weekend away on a canine related training course, where I met two fellow boardsies. Dinner last night was great fun, and nobody watching us would have believed we were all only drinking water!!!

I also fell in love with a toy poodle this weekend, I'm never been a small dog person, and, following a bad incident when I was a child, I have never liked poodles. This little fella has completely changed my mind, such an incredibly smart dog, and so cute.

I love the standard poodles, I had one living few doors away as a child and didn't know it was a poodle for a couple of years (I was about 9), no poodle haircut, just a tight trim.
    She was such a sweet smart dog, and very funny, it actually made me seriously consider getting one, maybe one day.
    I also had an incident with a toy one, and was never fond of them, but I've seen great agility and tricks done by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

mymo wrote: »
    I love the standard poodles, I had one living few doors away as a child and didn't know it was a poodle for a couple of years (I was about 9), no poodle haircut, just a tight trim.
    She was such a sweet smart dog, and very funny, it actually made me seriously consider getting one, maybe one day.
    I also had an incident with a toy one, and was never fond of them, but I've seen great agility and tricks done by them.

A friend of mine now has a standard, a piebald one, and she is a complete looper, such a funny dog.

I think the haircuts that they have to suffer probably put me off, I thought they were real high maintenance, fussy dogs, but they were originally hard working water dogs, so I should learn not to judge a book by its cover - or a dog by it's show cut ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I always thought poodles were real high maintainance fussy dogs too, but having met a couple while on work experience I fell in love with their personalities! I don't think I would ever own one unless I take up grooming myself though :D

I was at a cat show last Sunday, i always come home wanting so many breeds! This time was worse because I was a steward and got to handle/ cuddle a lot of cats, breeds which I never would have gotten up close with before, and now I really really really want a Burmese!!! Fell in love with one kitten in particular, she was such a dote :D

I think my coughing is freaking Felix out. He's been coming to bed with me in the mornings and sticking to me like glue on the sofa. Which is very unusual for him, my husband is his favourite person. I'm gonna have to go back to my gp tomorrow, I'm worn out with it now. If I have cough very loudly Poppy runs out of the room.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I think my coughing is freaking Felix out. He's been coming to bed with me in the mornings and sticking to me like glue on the sofa. Which is very unusual for him, my husband is his favourite person. I'm gonna have to go back to my gp tomorrow, I'm worn out with it now. If I have cough very loudly Poppy runs out of the room.

My kitten Cliff does that when either of us are sick. He's not too bothered by coughing but will bolt if you sneeze.

He turned 1 yesterday. :)

Interesting afternoon yesterday! Elly had been escaping from our fenced in back garden and we couldn't work out exactly how or where. Yesterday I let her out for wees and literally turned my back for a second, only to then see her hurdle the fence where we have our gate cut into it:eek:

Managed to get her back in eventually - we have calves in the field behind us, so lots of lovely poo to eat!

Racked my brains to try and figure out how I could stop her doing this in the short term, till we made the fence higher. I watched her whilst we were out in the garden and all her interest was where the gate is. So I dragged over my sons goal posts and put it in from on the gate. So far no more escapes.

Thing is the fence is the same height all the way around - stoopid dog hasn't worked that out though .......YET!!!

Dord wrote: »
    My kitten Cliff does that when either of us are sick. He's not too bothered by coughing but will bolt if you sneeze.

He turned 1 yesterday. :)

Elly,my collie x, tries to attack your face if you sneeze - not sure what she thinks it is:D:D:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Just looking at Facebook. Cork <snip> taken in a new dog who was dumped out of a car yesterday. The reg number was seen of the car who did it. What sanctions can be taken against the scut who dumped the poor dog?

Swanson used to run away from his own sneezes. With ours, he just looks at us as if we've personally insulted him.

Toby came to bed with me last night and stayed til after 3am, a little while after that Felix came to join me. Felix has decided that widthways between the back of my knees is the best place to sleep on our kingsize bed. Is just as well I've not been able to sleep much. He and Toby are getting on so well now, I'm almost afraid to say that. Felix just seems to have gotten over whatever it was that he hates about him, for now anyway. :)

Swanson used to run away from his own sneezes. With ours, he just looks at us as if we've personally insulted him.

Ours are the same with sneezing, they look as if you've insulted not just them, but every feline that ever was.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Toby came to bed with me last night and stayed til after 3am, a little while after that Felix came to join me. Felix has decided that widthways between the back of my knees is the best place to sleep on our kingsize bed. Is just as well I've not been able to sleep much. He and Toby are getting on so well now, I'm almost afraid to say that. Felix just seems to have gotten over whatever it was that he hates about him, for now anyway. :)

Do you get warm from them? Lucy has me COOKED in the bed. I was in the canaries last week and slept great without her on top of me lol even though it was much warmer at night!! This morning when I went back into my room after I'd had a shower I couldn't get over how bloody cold it was - both windows are open but the heat in the bed is terrible. Between that and her snoring from having the inflatable collar on (to stop her rubbing a scratch over her eye) I had a terrible night's sleep!

tk123 wrote: »
    Do you get warm from them? Lucy has me COOKED in the bed. I was in the canaries last week and slept great without her on top of me lol even though it was much warmer at night!! This morning when I went back into my room after I'd had a shower I couldn't get over how bloody cold it was - both windows are open but the heat in the bed is terrible. Between that and her snoring from having the inflatable collar on (to stop her rubbing a scratch over her eye) I had a terrible night's sleep!

I don't get too hot if Mr Pumpkinseeds isn't in the bed too.:D Our 4 each have a way of sprawling at the bottom of the bed, at a weird angle so that they have at least 70% of the bed while we're almost glued together at an even weirder angle. Toby is a master at it. You'd never think a cat could take up so much room. Mostly you wouldn't even know he's on the bed and he eventually toddles off on important cat business.

Poppy on the other hand has to climb all over me and settles on my side. Of course when I'm asleep I don't know she's there until I hear a disgruntled meow when I turn over and a thud as she jumps down onto the floor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I got a da bird type pole feather on zooplus, looks very similar to a real bird. Jesse went mad for it, when she finally caught it she took off flying round the kitchen ears back growling :-o she's never ever growled or been territorial with any type of food or toy but this thing set her wild :-o she hid underneath the telly til I opened the hall door to let her downstairs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement