Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

tk123 wrote: »
    Lucy got a smack in the face off one last week! :pac: That'll teach her not to stand with her two paws up on a wall trying to sniff noses with cats lol!!

Our cat once made the older dogs nose actually bleed by smacking him round the face once, she caught him on the 'leathery' bit of his nose, he was terribly upset and sorry for himself (he was fine though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,023 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Well Lucy escaped without injury but she's even more interested in cats now!! She doesn't bark or growl at them like Bailey but just goes all alert and glued to the spot staring at them. There's a super friendly cat near the park that rubs up against some of the dogs - the dogs just stand there not sure what to do lol!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

tk123 wrote: »
    Lucy got a smack in the face off one last week! :pac: That'll teach her not to stand with her two paws up on a wall trying to sniff noses with cats lol!!

Lol! I was asleep when it happened, was woken up by the *bop* to the side of my head! I need to hurry up and buy a new bed so I can stop sleeping on the mattress on the floor, leaving myself open to all sorts of abuse from the cats!

On the flip side one of my dogs has decided to become my alarm clock by licking me on the tip of the nose if I happen to sleep past 10am!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

VonVix wrote: »
    On the flip side one of my dogs has decided to become my alarm clock by licking me on the tip of the nose if I happen to sleep past 10am!

10am?

7.30 is a lie in here!
    If I'm lucky (usually if it's raining) I get until 8am.
    On week days I'm allowed to hit snooze once, if I do a second time, they all start jumping on me or bawling, or whining. Or little cat runs up and down the length of my body and jumps on any part that attempts to move, even if it's my face.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Well, we changed food here about 3 weeks ago, from skinners to markus muhle. Oh sweet heavens, they are being changed back asap!
    The amount of foul swelling wind being passed is eye watering!

Course they decide to both come sit on me whilst passing said foul wind!

• Advertisement

So I'm driving home yesterday and a wasp lands on my wing mirror...and goes inside it!!! :eek: I don't think he came out so now I'm paranoid about it coming out and stinging me/the dogs. I was in traffic when it happened and afraid to open the window to flick it away in case it stung me/flew into the car so I pressed the button to fold them the mirrors in and out about 10 times hoping it'd annoy the wasp and make it fly away. God only knows what the cars behind me were thinking lol!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ACD

Bandy got a shock right into his nose when he went to sniff the electric cattle fence, when coming out of the field. Unfortunately I wasn't fast enough to stop him, poor boy, never heard him scream like that before. He got over it in a couple minutes, but he seemed really confused and scared at first, luckily he didn't dash onto the road, but he ran straight to me. At least I know he trusts me enough to seek protection from me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Poppy had one of her weird wobbles last night. Sometimes when you stroke her on your lap she freaks out and lashes out. It's like she's terrified for some reason, anyway I got a claw in the cheek for my troubles, serves me right for putting off trimming her claws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

mymo wrote: »
    10am?

7.30 is a lie in here!
    If I'm lucky (usually if it's raining) I get until 8am.
    On week days I'm allowed to hit snooze once, if I do a second time, they all start jumping on me or bawling, or whining. Or little cat runs up and down the length of my body and jumps on any part that attempts to move, even if it's my face.

10am is breakfast time for the boys! While they love a snooze, they ain't missing their food!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Well, we changed food here about 3 weeks ago, from skinners to markus muhle. Oh sweet heavens, they are being changed back asap!
    The amount of foul swelling wind being passed is eye watering!

Course they decide to both come sit on me whilst passing said foul wind!

My two are on MM and are in great nick on it and no trumps at all, yet on Barking Heads the younger dog was pooping and trumping like billyo, isn't it funny such different reactions, like humans I suppose, some foods might make one slightly 'gassy'...ahem, not me of course, I'm a laydee.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I'm in serious trouble, am fostering 5 dogs at the moment, including 3 pointer cross pups. One of them is worming his way into my heart big time.

I got stupid opening a can of tuna for my 4 and instead of going over the lid again with the opener when it got stuck I decided to pull the sharp lid. I won't go into the graphics, but it was messy, very messy and took longer in the end to feed them as I had to wash and bandage my thumb. On the plus side while chilling out I found loads of videos for cats on You tube, the favourites seem to be the aquarium ones. My 4 were glued to it with heads twisting and turning furiously to follow the fish.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Hope you heal up soon Pumpkinseeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Bought the girls new dog jackets, both reduced to €10 from €40 and €50 :eek: the sizes are a little off though. Alli loves hers, moone couldnt be more disgusted with hers! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Wide awake thanks to Elly deciding to bark her little sqeaky head off, god knows what she was dreaming about!
    Be glad when her 'voice' breaks!!!!

I need to buy another pet bed today. The moggies are squabbling over the best sleeping places for Winter. Now you'd think that with 2 sofas, a comfy piece of vet bed and a nice new scratcher/lounger, that there'd be plenty of places in the living room for them all, but no, there are still skirmishes. I thought Felix was trying to drive Toby out again after finding him howling at Toby on the armchair 3 times this week, turns out that he just wanted the chair, as we found Felix sound asleep on that chair last night, I think it's because the chair is near the radiator in the kitchen.:rolleyes:

I need to buy another pet bed today. The moggies are squabbling over the best sleeping places for Winter. Now you'd think that with 2 sofas, a comfy piece of vet bed and a nice new scratcher/lounger, that there'd be plenty of places in the living room for them all, but no, there are still skirmishes. I thought Felix was trying to drive Toby out again after finding him howling at Toby on the armchair 3 times this week, turns out that he just wanted the chair, as we found Felix sound asleep on that chair last night, I think it's because the chair is near the radiator in the kitchen.:rolleyes:

In the dog end of the house, in the lounge there is a sofa and an armchair, there are usually 2 dogs squashed on the armchair, no idea how it can be comfortable. I also have various bits of vet bedding on the floor, and two crates. I had to put beds on top of the crates as well as in them, because the floor appears to be unacceptable :eek: Now my bedroom is next to the lounge, with a nice, big double bed, but hardly any dog ever lies on that except at night, when I'm in it, then they all want to sleep there.

I woke one morning to find my daughter had come into my bed due the spider assassins trying to kill her in the night, my bed also contained 2 dogs and 4 cats, one of whom was sleeping on my head!
    It was nice and toasty, if a bit cramped, and I have a king sized bed!

Bailey got a fright this morning from kids letting off fireworks in the park...and decided he was going home(!) Every time he was just within my reach he got a bit faster. He stopped the second time I shouted at him to stay thank god but very scary. Lucy couldn't have cared less and didn't even acknowledge they were going off so at least she's ok with them! He was fine with them up until last year and seemed to be getting more comfortable with them - I never thought he'd run like that though!! So much for deaffening myself with that bloody sounds cd! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Well, I think I've run out of options for a supplement for Felix and Poppys fur. I've tried coconut oil, sunflower oil, olive oil, salmon oil, some oil from Zooplus that I can't remember, seaweed stuff for pets and the latest failure was hemp seed oil. I give up at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Well, I think I've run out of options for a supplement for Felix and Poppys fur. I've tried coconut oil, sunflower oil, olive oil, salmon oil, some oil from Zooplus that I can't remember, seaweed stuff for pets and the latest failure was hemp seed oil. I give up at this point.

We changed all the guys here (cats and dogs) onto select gold dry food and the difference in all their coats is unreal: soft, shiny and smooth. Even Poppy, who had a fairly rough feeling short haired JRT coat feels like silk after a few weeks on the food.

Winter has definitely come in our house, I slept last night with a hand under the pillow under my head with my arm sticking out and woke up in the middle of the night to Cinnamon curled up on the bit of my arm sticking out right by my face. She only comes to bed when it's really, really cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Gonzo has started sleeping on his side more in his igloo the last few weeks, turns out this is normal chinchilla behaviour. He did give me a heart attack a few times especially since he was so ill earlier in the year. if I call him to see if he's ok he jumps up and growls and gives me the evil eye :D I had to take out one of the shelves in his cage and haven't gotten a new one yet, he is less than Impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

It's 3 weeks since meg died and everyone is still very upset by it. My mom started crying that it would be too soon to have another dog in the home when i asked would she be interested in fostering for local rescue. We've always had dogs and been upswt when they passed but she was just so special. Anyway my nieces and nephew planted some flowers on her grave yesterday and when they came home my youngest niece(4) drew this picture of me walking meg. It's the first time anyone she's known has died and she doesn't really understand that megs not coming back and why everyone is so upset. It's raining because everyone was crying and the flower is the one they planted on her grave..., apparently when she comes back it will be attached to her back!

Poppy was sitting on my knee earlier while I watched the last episode of the BBC cat programme, she was fascinated and watched it the whole way through.:D

My walk had a sad end tonight. I came across a group of people who'd stopped to help a cat that had been hit on the road. The lad who hit him/her stopped to see if he could do anything but the cat had been killed outright by the sound of it. There were 1 or 2 people from the area and the rest of us were from other parts of the town. None of the people from that area were willing to put the cat in a shed overnight until the owner could be found, but thankfully a kind man took the cat away to bury as we didn't just want to leave the cat.

It sounded like it had been chased by another cat and a kitten with very simillar markings was found in the same area yesterday, so it may be territorial fighting or cats on heat. The guy who hit the cat said it had been chased into the road by another cat.:(

I ordered the dogs collars and leads from Leading the pack following a recommendation on here, and they arrived today.
    They are gorgeous!
    Lovely quality and so cute, Tiffi was walking around with her new collar in her mouth, wagging her tail, while I put Oliver's on him.
    Highly recommend them.
    Thanks to whoever suggested them in a thread ages ago, sorry I can't remember who, maybe Muddypaws?

mymo wrote: »
    I ordered the dogs collars and leads from Leading the pack following a recommendation on here, and they arrived today.
    They are gorgeous!
    Lovely quality and so cute, Tiffi was walking around with her new collar in her mouth, wagging her tail, while I put Oliver's on him.
    Highly recommend them.
    Thanks to whoever suggested them in a thread ages ago, sorry I can't remember who, maybe Muddypaws?

Where are the photos? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

nala2012 wrote: »
    It's 3 weeks since meg died and everyone is still very upset by it. My mom started crying that it would be too soon to have another dog in the home when i asked would she be interested in fostering for local rescue. We've always had dogs and been upswt when they passed but she was just so special. Anyway my nieces and nephew planted some flowers on her grave yesterday and when they came home my youngest niece(4) drew this picture of me walking meg. It's the first time anyone she's known has died and she doesn't really understand that megs not coming back and why everyone is so upset. It's raining because everyone was crying and the flower is the one they planted on her grave..., apparently when she comes back it will be attached to her back!

Aw, that drawing is just adorable! I posted a few weeks ago about losing our Lola. I was totally devastated, but at the same time was not wanting to hang about and wait dogless for long. I couldn't have a dog for years when we lived abroad, and really hate living in a home with no dog. It just doesn't feel right to me! Also, our cats were used to having one around, and I didn't want that to change.

So just over a week after we said goodbye to our darling Lola, we went to Dogs Trust to meet their inmates. I was prepared to take an older one, but it turned out none of those they had in would have suited our situation. Those of you that read Lola's eulogy will have seen that she was a thoroughly adaptable dog, who could travel with us regularly visiting friends and relatives, and it just happens that we need our canine pal to be like that, cos that's our life.

So we were directed to the puppy wing, where we met our Nyssa. Her mother was a GSD, who came into the centre in pup, and they didn't know what the father was. We were homechecked during the week, and collected her from Dogs Trust the following Sunday.

So far she has been such a joy to own. We've been going to an Obedience class, and our trainer, who has been working with those breeds for 20 years, informs us her father was most certainly a Border Collie.

Here is a pic of her, a couple days after we had her

10632731_10201330773029738_4340655180911883928_n.jpg?oh=dc6e4d8c4e45341139ef3faf5a456660&oe=54F7E16A

She has grown loads since then, and also looks way better. I really have to get the finger out and get some more recent shots. I don't have a smartphone tho, and things have been utterly complicated around here in other ways, but I promise I will get around to it very soon.

She does need slow, patient work on her concentration, and lots of fun interludes during training, as she is too easily bored otherwise, but she has bonded really quickly and well with us, especially considering the other difficult things that have cropped up in our lives since we got her.

And she is already adjusting extremely well to travelling around with us to visit friends and family. What has impressed me most of all about her, however, is how easily she settles, especially for such a young girl. She will play about like the wee nutter you'd expect, and then just chill out on the floor. Especially if you give her a toy and a piece of pizzle or something, it's like that's the signal to her to start winding down, and pretty quickly she's just in settle mode.

That was something we struggled with for almost a year with Lola! I think it was partly that we got her a couple months older than we have Nyssa: some of the patterns were already too set for us to get an easy or quick fix. She never did get as easy with new dogs as Nyssa is either.

I was so glad we got Lola to help through life, small issues especially, as I'd hate to think of her having to live with somebody who didn't understand or care. But if we can't be with her anymore, it is such a treat to get to work with a treasure like Nyssa now.

I think she has an awful lot of potential, going on how she looks, moves and thinks. I just hope I can help her live up to it! Welcome to our lives, Nyssa! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I'm excited, I ordered cat specific nappies for Dude last night so they should arrive in the next day or two. It'll be great to be able to stop confining him to one room, or covering every soft furnishing in the house with incontinence sheets when he's free around the house :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement