Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

Got home from work yesterday evening and was getting out of the car when I was approached by a kid who was dragging a kitten along on a piece of rope. Kitten was screaming it's head off. Apparently it was lost and was in her garden and her Mam was making her go find the owner. The kitten is now sleeping in my spare room until we find the owner. Put up posters all around the estate last night and bringing her to Vets to check for a chip. She is the sweetest most affectionate cat I've ever come across. Really hoping no one comes forward cause if they don't she's staying put :D himself is equally smitten. She's the spit of umi my long haired calico but she's short haired

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

1 of the new neighbours cats was looking in the gate at me last night, I thought it was our cat Jazzy and was chatting to him until I saw Jazzy sitting on the cat kennel, indifferent to it. Toby chased it off while Felix and Poppy looked shocked to see it. Jazzy gave one of their 2 or 3 cats a slap last week, he's a little swine at times. The new cats are the lovely, well adjusted type who think all other cats are their friends, our 4 will soon rid them of that notion.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Wonder paws had their agility course set up at the event Alli and I went to on Sunday, I brought Alli around the course and she was really nervous of the ramps and see-saw the first time but one of the girls from wonder paws gave her a hand plus some hot dogs and Alli flew around the course no problem the second time! Myself and the girl gave her loads of praise and she got all delighted with herself and started barking and "singing" She's getting so brave I'm So proud of her :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Oh well done Alli!! Lucy is starting foundation agility tomorrow evening...but seems to have a sore leg(!) :( Resting her as much as possible and only having short walks. I think it'll be fine - it's more obedience anyway not like she'll be running around much!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

So disappointed with Markus Muelhe... Wanted to change over from Skinners for a bit. It doesn't suit Josie (greyhound) at all, she's been getting sick. Money is tight at the mo so I'm probably going to have to try her on Beta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

boomerang wrote: »
    So disappointed with Markus Muelhe... Wanted to change over from Skinners for a bit. It doesn't suit Josie (greyhound) at all, she's been getting sick. Money is tight at the mo so I'm probably going to have to try her on Beta.

Why did you want to change from Skinners, if you don't mind me asking. Where do you get the skinners from when you buy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I don't think any dog should be on one brand/variety indefinitely, because of the risk of over or under-supplementation of micronutrients. I get the Skinners from Amazon with free delivery.

boomerang wrote: »
    I don't think any dog should be on one brand/variety indefinitely, because of the risk of over or under-supplementation of micronutrients. I get the Skinners from Amazon with free delivery.

It's amazing how so much more nutritional information on pet food is available nowadays. It's a long time ago now, but my dad brought home a lovely Collie x that someone had taken off travellers, they had him tied to a lamp post at a halting site. Anyways, he was like a 3rd child to my parents and they never fed him dog food. They used to boil up a big pot of belly pork a couple of times a week for him.

Not sure how healthy that was but he had 3 long walks every day and lived to be a fine old age. He died about 10 years ago and they still haven't gotten over him. He was a fabulous dog.

It's dark in the mornings again :( I'm going to miss my lovely early morning trips to the park. Some people I know go in when it's dark but it's not safe imo (guys sleeping on benches etc) so we're going to either have to walk around the area or change our schedule. I'd changed to leaving earlier and walking to the far gate that's always open because the gate beside us has erratic opening times at best! That said I'm looking forward to a proper walk in the evenings again instead of standing around in the park and having DRY dogs of an evening...weather permitting!! :p

Poppy is in full on lunatic mode today. She's such a little ball of furry chaos and a source of terror, when she wants to be, to Felix. He's 3 times her size and is meeping like a little girl at the cat flap in case she's in the garden and he wants out.:rolleyes: Although he always wants the door open, the door that's right next to the open cat flap. He sits facing the door, then turns to look at me and meeps for me to open it, usually when I'm washing the dishes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

It's like mission impossible here this week. The two of them are doing their best to escape from the garden! Thankfully they can only get into the field behind but still....
    I need a 6ft wall if this continues!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Wrestling with a 40kg dog to get rid of a tick on her eyelid when all she wants to do is lick any hand that comes near her is not a fun way to spend the afternoon. The tick is now in tick heaven after being drowned in dettol (after removal)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Poppy got out today thanks to the meter reader not shutting the gate after himself and we let the girls outside to do their business and didn't realise he'd come into the yard
    We got her back, thankfully, but this isn't the first time they've left our gate open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I always find it really endearing how much Kayla LOVES to cuddle under blankets for the first week or two after she's been groomed and is all short-haired and cold; she's not normally a very cuddly dog, so I do sorta love it!

The pair of us are currently wrapped up on the couch under a fleece :D

Have put posters up in the neighbourhood, posted notices on every site I could think of, and shared on my facebook and twitter for the lost kittens owners and nothing. Brought her to the vets today to scan for a chip and of course she doesnt have one. left my details with them too in case an owner comes looking since its the only vet in the village. We all love her so we are hoping no one comes forward :D she will be going to live with my mam down the road if no one does so least I can visit her whenever I want!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

So, had to call the out of hours vet, 3 of the 4 cats have a mild dose of cat flu :(
    Jake often gets sniffly, he's old and has scaring from nearly dying of it as a kitten, but Ruby is young and so far as I know never had it, all are vacc'd.
    Jake started sniffling a couple of days ago, but seems fine, I had booked a visit for tmrw, but Ruby's glands were really swollen when I got home, her face was all swelled up. Kitten has gunky eyes, so all on antibiotics now.
    Toby if fine and hates tablets so vet said not to treat him unless he shows signs.
    It happened so suddenly, apart from jakes sniffles they were all fine this morning.

The rain!!! >_< I had to dry my jeans with a hair dryer in work this morning :p And what's in the kitchen at home that I really should have in the car - my spare pair of waterproof bottoms!! :p Lucy will be furious later if I take her out with her raincoat on!

Mr Pumpkinseeds has turned Felix into a little purry chair stealer. Felix started nuzzling in behind him on the sofa and he got into the habit of letting him have his side of the sofa, now it's become a habit that Felix is refusing to break. I'm sitting on one end of the sofa with Felix on the other end, Mr P is on the other sofa with Poppy at the other end of that one. I'm sure Felix only does it as part of a game now.:D

My head is MELTED listening to the fireworks cd again and again...and AGAIN... I have it streaming to the TV - Lucy is fast asleep and Bailey is listening to it but not running away to hide. He was fine until last year until he was asleep in the hall during the summer and there was a thunder storm that gave him a bad fright... After that if there was fireworks on TV he'd be gone out to hide so hopefully our morning walk where we got caught in thunder a few months ago had cured him. What must the neighbours think of the noise of that cd though lol!!!!! :p

tk123 wrote: »
    My head is MELTED listening to the fireworks cd again and again...and AGAIN... I have it streaming to the TV - Lucy is fast asleep and Bailey is listening to it but not running away to hide. He was fine until last year until he was asleep in the hall during the summer and there was a thunder storm that gave him a bad fright... After that if there was fireworks on TV he'd be gone out to hide so hopefully our morning walk where we got caught in thunder a few months ago had cured him. What must the neighbours think of the noise of that cd though lol!!!!! :p

The fireworks have been going off here for weeks, with the sheer volume of them you'd never think they were illegal.

• Advertisement

The fireworks have been going off here for weeks, with the sheer volume of them you'd never think they were illegal.

Oh we've had non so far! Hopefully he's ok with them this year like he was before. I'm hoping to get Lucy spayed on the 31st (if the vet isn't on hols for midterm break) so I'll be home to take Bailey for a long long walk so he's asleep all evening. I think if a firework went off beside Lucy she'd just give it a dirty look and go back asleep lol! :p

How long do you have to look for the owners of a found kitten for before you can officially keep it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

How long do you have to look for the owners of a found kitten for before you can officially keep it?

If the kitten belongs to someone, and they can prove it, they legally have 366 days to claim their kitten back. Although there is no law that says you've to report a found kitten, the bigger picture is that you *should* report any item (living or otherwise) to the guards for them to log in their lost and found property book. This would also give you an official start date for your 366 days.
    Realistically, the chances of them coming forward to take back a kitten for which they owe you money for medical care and feeding etc, are pretty small :o

DBB wrote: »
    If the kitten belongs to someone, and they can prove it, they legally have 366 days to claim their kitten back. Although there is no law that says you've to report a found kitten, the bigger picture is that you *should* report any item (living or otherwise) to the guards for them to log in their lost and found property book. This would also give you an official start date for your 366 days.
    Realistically, the chances of them coming forward to take back a kitten for which they owe you money for medical care and feeding etc, are pretty small :o

I'm hoping no one comes forward, starting to love her a little bit :)

Well it finally happened lol - I didn't bite my tongue in the park for once! Some guy telling us (again) how he wants a pup from his 1 year old(today!) dog. I probably looked like a know-it-all but it made the guy think which imo was a good thing? He now knows what hip scores and health testing are and that he has to pay to get them done, not just ask his vet!! Now who's next - the guy who doesn't pick up his 2 dogs poo? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Rarely post in here but feel the need to boast so hope you all don't mind....
    My little nut job of a terrier went to the IKC international show today and won 2 of her 3 agility runs making her a grade 7 dog! she is now one of only 2 small, currently competing, dogs in IKC ! very very proud doggy mammy :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

My little nut job of a terrier went to the IKC international show today and won 2 of her 3 agility runs making her a grade 7 dog! she is now one of only 2 small, currently competing, dogs in IKC ! very very proud doggy mammy :D

Brilliant BtJ, what a fantastic achievement, to both you and nut-job terrier :D
    You've every reason to be proud, well done! :)

Oh well done!! Lucy started foundation agility this week lol! At first she was too excited to take treats but would do everything I asked.. But she lay down for a rest in between most of the excercises which makes wonder if she'd get bored in the middle of a run and decide to take a nap instead! :p.

The last 2 days Lucy has gotten into Bailey's bed and dug out all the bedding - he's like the princess in the pea with a flattened oval bed, a big cushion, layers of vet bed and various blankets etc.. I just took him down to the loo and when we came back up instead of jumping back into his bed he just stood in front of the crate - there's bold face almost hiding in his bed with everything pulled around and pushed to one side...we were gone all of 2 mins!! The only reason I have a crate there for him was to stop her sliding down into the bed during the night and freaking him out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Moone lost her tag that says "scan me I'm microchipped" from Fido.ie, I'd prefer if she was wearing it as well as her address/phone number tag. Can anyone recommend anywhere online, besides fido, where I can buy "I'm chipped" tags too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

SingItOut wrote: »
    Moone lost her tag that says "scan me I'm microchipped" from Fido.ie, I'd prefer if she was wearing it as well as her address/phone number tag. Can anyone recommend anywhere online, besides fido, where I can buy "I'm chipped" tags too?

You could get all the information on one tag on identitag.

http://www.identitag.co.uk/productcart/pc/Pet-Dog-Tags-c3.htm.

You can get loads of info on both sides, names, addresses, multiple phone numbers, chipped & neutered etc, and they're much more durable than any you'll get here. They're not overpriced and they post them pretty quickly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement