Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I think Cream is after breaking his tail... he can't lift it properly and it really hurts him to touch it. It's not completely paralysed like Dude's was but it's just hanging there sadly :( I've no idea what happened as I was away for most of the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Jeez SMX that's awful, another vet trip for you tomorrow then:( Hopefully it won't be something permanent.

It looks like it's broken near the base, there's a lot of swelling there and he can't sit down. He can still curl up the end of it though and wrap it around his side so it should resolve with time I hope. I may bring him to the emergency vets tonight when my mam gets home from work as he seems to be in a bit of pain and I'm out of metacam.

It looks like it's broken near the base, there's a lot of swelling there and he can't sit down. He can still curl up the end of it though and wrap it around his side so it should resolve with time I hope. I may bring him to the emergency vets tonight when my mam gets home from work as he seems to be in a bit of pain and I'm out of metacam.

Fingers crossed for him. Sounds like he needs something stronger than Metacam at the moment. Poor little guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm feeling so let down. :(

I was a supporter of a breed specific rescue that was recently closed down due to cruelty charges. This really upset me as I had no idea what was going on and vocally supported the rescue and the founder where others were telling me I shouldn't (big fan of the breed and obviously easily sucked in)

Now I see a breeder I would usually say is one of the very few good ones studding his dogs out left right and fecking centre to anybody who wants them. One of the people he allowed use his dog has one litter aged one week and one litter aged two weeks. Up until recently I would have sent someone there if they were looking for a particular breed! Again I trusted what I was told and what I was allowed to see.

I'm just too gullible. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Whispered wrote: »

I was a supporter of a breed specific rescue that was recently closed down due to cruelty charges. This really upset me as I had no idea what was going on and vocally supported the rescue and the founder where others were telling me I shouldn't (big fan of the breed and obviously easily sucked in)

Now I see a breeder I would usually say is one of the very few good ones studding his dogs out left right and fecking centre to anybody who wants them. One of the people he allowed use his dog has one litter aged one week and one litter aged two weeks. Up until recently I would have sent someone there if they were looking for a particular breed! Again I trusted what I was told and what I was allowed to see.

That leaden lump of 'I've been such a numpty, taken for a ride' feeling is grim, but having a good heart is important. Don't beat yourself up for giving a damn or for believing people who are confidence-tricksters. Generousity - of time, effort and compassion - is something precious both to those who possess it and those who benefit from it. (Speaking as one who almost lost it to cynicism.)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

You're one of the good guys Whispered:)

Keep the chin up, the world is full of sh!theads, and we need good guys to counter-balance the sh!theads :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Whispered wrote: »

aw, don't beat yourself up, and don't become too much of a cynic. I used to think some breeders were decent, and in it for the dogs, now I know its all about money, money, money. So few properly reputable breeders out there, the more the learn, the more you realise how people really are. I think if you are a decent person yourself, you expect others to be the same, so it comes as a shock, and you feel really let down when you realise not everybody is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

SillymangoX I hope cream is ok.

Whispered, give those dogs a big hug and try not to let it get to you. X

I found some metacam last night so managed to keep cream comfy, I'll be bringing him to the vets this eve. He is the most annoyingly adorable cat to share a bed with though, every hour or so just as I was about to nod off again he would start butting my hands looking for rubs and at one stage he starting kneading on my face. Gotta love em!

• Advertisement

Poppy has made a game of stealing my bras off the clothes horse, I keep finding them in the oddest places. She's always had a fascination with the clothes horse and loves to lay under it, swatting at dangling things. She's a funny little cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Aw glad he's feeling better mango. Vet today?

Sorry for my "feeling sorry for myself" style post yesterday. Sometimes though it feels like people just keep letting others, and the animals in their care, down.

He has no sensation to the bottom 3rd of his tail, vet said possibly could be from an infected wound so he's on antibiotics for a week and if it doesn't go back to normal after that he'll be having the bottom 3rd removed!

He has no sensation to the bottom 3rd of his tail, vet said possibly could be from an infected wound so he's on antibiotics for a week and if it doesn't go back to normal after that he'll be having the bottom 3rd removed!

Fingers crossed for him that the antibiotics will sort him out. At least it's not his whole tail. Poppy only has a stump of tail the length of my thumb and it doesn't seem to bother her at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

I left Alli and Moone outside this morning as it was pretty warm, I even left the back door open to keep an eye on them. Alli is like an extra limb and has to know what I'm doing every second of the day, moone on the other hand would gladly sit out in the sun and mind her business. I called them inside to give them some biscuits and Alli let out a really loud vocal yawn then huffed and barked at me, shame on me for making her go outside for an hour! I don't know if it's all collies or just Alli but she's such a vocal dog!

I've finally gotten Felix back to enjoying playing. He used to love galloping around the place chasing toys and jumping up on things, but he seemed to get bored with it, probably weight related. Anyways, we stocked up on toys and he's been galloping around the garden and around the house chasing things. He loves poking under things then galloping off with his tail bent. He can certainly move for a big moggy.:D

The sensation is back in Cream's tail already so he won't be losing it :) must have just been an infection affecting it cos he's so much better since starting the antiobiotics yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Delighted to hear that good news.

For some reason Toby isn't using his cat house this year. It's clean with fresh bedding and he's the only one of the four that used it last year. It was piddling down last night and when I looked out the window he was sitting on the wall in the rain, totally soaked. He came in for some nuts, a good towel dry and galloped up to our bed for the rest of the night. I wish he'd start using his little house again. For some reason he won't come in the cat flap during the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I had a really interesting chat in work today with a customer- I didn't realise there were no pet crematoriums in the ROI and that all the bodies get sent up North. The man is currently trying to set one up in my town, but there have been some local objections so it's going to An Bord Pleanala. By the sounds of it, he has the support of all the relevant authorities, if he can just get through the red tape.

His idea is to have a really sensitively laid out setup, with a farewell room for people to hold ceremonies if they wish. He basically wants to have a pet funeral home, and to handle each case individually and with care.

I think it sounds like a fantastic idea and I really hope it goes ahead. It's something that is sorely needed, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

I had a really interesting chat in work today with a customer- I didn't realise there were no pet crematoriums in the ROI and that all the bodies get sent up North. The man is currently trying to set one up in my town, but there have been some local objections so it's going to An Bord Pleanala. By the sounds of it, he has the support of all the relevant authorities, if he can just get through the red tape.

His idea is to have a really sensitively laid out setup, with a farewell room for people to hold ceremonies if they wish. He basically wants to have a pet funeral home, and to handle each case individually and with care.

I think it sounds like a fantastic idea and I really hope it goes ahead. It's something that is sorely needed, IMO.

Sounds like a great idea! I was looking into it when it was looking more and more like umi was either going to die or have to be pts. There wasnt many places I could find and I know when it does happen having somewhere like that would definitely put my mind at ease more!

I didn't realise there were no pet crematoriums in the ROI and that all the bodies get sent up North.

There's a pet crematorium in Trim!
    http://www.pawprintscremationireland.ie/about.html

Sounds like a great idea! I was looking into it when it was looking more and more like umi was either going to die or have to be pts. There wasnt many places I could find and I know when it does happen having somewhere like that would definitely put my mind at ease more!

Yeah I think it would put a lot of people's minds at ease- it's just awful thinking of your pet's body being taken away and stored in fridges and not getting a box of ashes back for weeks potentially :(

He wants to have somewhere that you can physically bring the body yourself, and leave with the ashes. Or he can provide a collection service from the house/vets if you'd rather not go through the whole rigmarole, and still get ashes back pretty quickly.

DBB wrote: »
    There's a pet crematorium in Trim!
    http://www.pawprintscremationireland.ie/about.html

He said he went to visit the Irish crematoriums when he was researching his idea, and that they transport the bodies up North for the actual cremation.

I'm just going on what he said- I've never had to go through the whole process, so am open to correction!

He said he went to visit the Irish crematoriums when he was researching his idea, and that they transport the bodies up North for the actual cremation.

Could be right, I know the one in the north does a "same day" service but not sure if the one in Trim does... if they do cremations there at all. They certainly give the impression on their website that they do the cremations, no mention of them bringing the bodies up north, but maybe you'd have to ask them directly?!
    For some reason I've an idea that the prices are reasonably different between the two places. I've only ever used the place in Belfast.

DBB wrote: »
    Could be right, I know the one in the north does a "same day" service but not sure if the one in Trim does... if they do cremations there at all. They certainly give the impression on their website that they do the cremations, no mention of them bringing the bodies up north, but maybe you'd have to ask them directly?!
    For some reason I've an idea that the prices are reasonably different between the two places. I've only ever used the place in Belfast.

Yeah I couldn't see a mention on the website of moving the bodies, but equally I don't see anything solid to say the cremations are preformed on site.

What's the one in Belfast like? Is it very much a conveyor belt feel or is it a nice enough place?

What's the one in Belfast like? Is it very much a conveyor belt feel or is it a nice enough place?

I was never there, always had my pets go through the vets. I know a couple of people who've been there to avail of the faster service but never thought to ask them what the place was like :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I thought there was one in Kerry, too.

I think it's a great idea. I couldn't bear the thought of my pets being burned (you can feck me in the incinerator no problem though!) :D But aside from that, what would have put me off is the thought of my beloved being bagged, lugged and shoved unceremoniously, by someone who didn't love her. Your customer has a great idea, and his heart is in it. :)

PS Am I the only one for whom having the ashes would bring no comfort at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

boomerang wrote: »
    I thought there was one in Kerry, too.

I think it's a great idea. I couldn't bear the thought of my pets being burned (you can feck me in the incinerator no problem though!) :D But aside from that, what would have put me off is the thought of my beloved being bagged, lugged and shoved unceremoniously, by someone who didn't love her. Your customer has a great idea, and his heart is in it. :)

I am just renting so I would have nowhere to bury my pets if one died. so having the ashes that I could move with me would give me far more comfort than just leaving her at the Vets and having nothing!

• Advertisement

boomerang wrote: »

Having the ashes themselves probably wouldn't bring me much comfort, but I'd prefer to know what happened the body rather than have it handled/disposed of in a way that doesn't preserve my pet's dignity.

Hence, I would opt for ashes, but would scatter them at a spot I have fond memories of walking my dog or somewhere with other sentimental value.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement