Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

Today I was woken up by the mostly ungodly cat noises I had ever heard. I jumped up and ran down the stairs thinking either Blue or Luna the kitten had somehow hurt themselves badly. It was just Blue freaking out at a cat in the back garden :rolleyes: I've never seen her like that before. she normally doesn't care about other cats. Could it be that she's gone all maternal with the kitten? she's taken to the kitten far far better than I expected. She lets the kitten lick her and doesn't scold her as badly as she did with umi when she's being annoying. I've even caught them curled up together a few times, something that very very rarely happened with umi! Umi wasn't taking to the kitten really before she left for the vets even though she's the more loving one. Himself thinks its because blue went into heat once before being spayed but umi never did

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

nala2012 wrote: »
    Just a normal one but i find it hard to get one that doesnt rub her legs. Have and easy walk one but doesnt fit right and i tried 2 different sizes!

Yeah I never liked the fit of them tbh! I had one for Bailey years ago and even got one for Lucy as her first harness but sent it back. I was using perfect fit ones during the winter months but drying them was a nightmare when the dogs went swimming so atm have freedom harnesses on both of them and find them really good. Once we're back to doing our winter walks on dry land I'll switch back to the prefect fits - I have reflective tops for them so handy for when it's dark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Today I was woken up by the mostly ungodly cat noises I had ever heard. I jumped up and ran down the stairs thinking either Blue or Luna the kitten had somehow hurt themselves badly. It was just Blue freaking out at a cat in the back garden :rolleyes: I've never seen her like that before. she normally doesn't care about other cats. Could it be that she's gone all maternal with the kitten? she's taken to the kitten far far better than I expected. She lets the kitten lick her and doesn't scold her as badly as she did with umi when she's being annoying. I've even caught them curled up together a few times, something that very very rarely happened with umi! Umi wasn't taking to the kitten really before she left for the vets even though she's the more loving one. Himself thinks its because blue went into heat once before being spayed but umi never did

He might be right. We know nothing about Poppy's history before we found her. She was already spayed and she just wouldn't take to our foster kitten at all. She just hissed at her and made it clear she wanted nothing to do with her, not that the kitten took a blind bit of notice of it. Jazzy loved the kitten though. Felix wasn't impressed at all and Toby basically ignored her.:)

He might be right. We know nothing about Poppy's history before we found her. She was already spayed and she just wouldn't take to our foster kitten at all. She just hissed at her and made it clear she wanted nothing to do with her, not that the kitten took a blind bit of notice of it. Jazzy loved the kitten though. Felix wasn't impressed at all and Toby basically ignored her.:)

Yeah I thought it very strange that she took to her so he could be on to something :) they're all girls too so no boys to compare it to! She's even become a bit more loving towards me since kittens arrival!

In the park yesterday evening - dogs having a game in the middle of the field and owners chatting at one side.. Next this guy comes along with his two dogs and is in the middle of telling us something when his dog poos beside somebody in clear view of him and I even said 'Oh X is pooping' the guy didnt even skip a beat - kept talking and didn't pick it up!! I'm annoyed with myself for not saying anything or picking it up and handing it to him - I was so shocked what I wanted to say didn't come out!! :mad: It was only afterwards I remembered somebody else saying the same thing happened a while ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Finished my Masters at last! Two years of non stop work, three months away from the three monkeys (and not forgetting the OH :P), a course that I just wasn't sure about by the end...it's done!
    Although my course had some great elements, I have often wished that I did something animal related...I think going from two dogs to three (and a temporary four) not long after I started really pushed me that way. Although I thought about it before, I was always uncomfortable at the prospect of the science stuff ! After doing science and economics related modules on this course, I'm confident I can approach almost anything on a course! I almost quit last year and even enquired about animal care courses on my return to the country. I decided to stick it out though, as I had done half the course at that point.
    The entry level jobs in my area are mostly on Job Bridge at the moment which is really frustrating as I would have to be three months unemployed to qualify for that. There are a lot of overseas opportunities but I'm not in a position (nor am I keen) to go down that road.
    However it works out, I'm happy to enjoy the extra time I have for the three monkeys...who got a well deserved mention in my dissertation acknowledgements!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Congrats mosi, that's great, hope you find something.

Little stripey kitten gone 36 hours and fluffy one has really come out of herself!
    She still runs if you approach, but come to us and let's us pet her, even purrs (mostly when she's trying to get into the bed), and I think she's in love with jake. She follows him around a bit anyway, but now she has her tail up and is head butting him and rolling around trying to get him to play, poor old boy allows all this unless she gets rough.
    The other cats are happier too, but Oliver is missing his "baby", fluffy runs when he tries to lick her and get her to snuggle. No one is allowed sleep touching him, except when we have kitten, who can sleep on him if they like. I thought Tiffi being a bitch would be more motherly, while she likes kittens, he loves them.

Somebody we know had a small dog left outside their house!!! Don't have much details except the took it to the vet..and they weren't walking it yesterday evening when they were out with their own dog (and too far away to ask) so hopefully it was chipped and claimed!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

We had a guy doing some work outside the house this morning, so we were out talking to him. Dogs were inside cos they go nuts!
    Anyway I turn to look in the kitchen window to them only to see Elly stood happily on the kitchen table, paws on the windowsill looking back at me!

When I go back in I see that they 'managed to accidently' knock the treat container onto the floor and eat the lot - almost a full packet of little bones...

Guess who's not getting anymore treats today!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I'm doggy sitting my uncles dog (who I always claim as my own :P ) for ten days. She's usually quite giddy around the garden, if anything excites her in any way she'll run in a big circle, pick up whatever is nearest to her to bring to me/my uncle (she brought me a pack of cigarettes once!) or else she'll herd the cats. But in the 2 days I've been minding her so far she's not had a single zoomie moment, instead she comes up to my back door, gives me a few licks then flops down for belly rubs :)
    I feel bad though because she isn't getting out for any walks. Myself or my uncle are the only ones who can handle her as she is quite strong when on lead, and I don't want to leave her off lead when it's me minding her in case anything happens, but I just don't have the strength to take her out yet. The vets said to reduce her food by 10% while she's not getting exercised (she's on a diet, won slimmer of the month :) ) and I've been playing some brain games with her like hide and seek, scatter feeding her, attempting to teach new tricks, but I'm just worried that she's going to have a load of pent up energy by the end of the 10 days which really wouldn't be good as I'm also babysitting my 8 year old twin cousins from Sunday! They like the dog when she's gentle but she gets very very hyper when there's someone new around, let alone two small people, and she can get quite pushy looking for attention by jumping (which is almost under control) and leaning on people. I suppose we'll have to see how it goes and maybe leave her in my uncles house when the kids are out to play if she is too hyper!

• Advertisement

This just arrived for the boss of the house :pac: :pac: :pac:

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_bowls_feeders/plastic_dog_bowls/single_coloured/377434

358951_zeedog_napf_072013_5.jpg

I just found a cat hair in my stitches -.- they really do get everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

We took Poppys collar off her the other day because it was giving her a tiny bald patch on her throat and put it up high for safekeeping.
    Fast forward to the next day and poppy puked up pink leather everywhere. God only knows how she got the collar and why she ate it.

They got on great at the kennels, definitely prefer these ones to the ones we took them to in June. The chap washed them and trimmed their nails free of charge! He also sent me asking photos of them playing with other dogs which I really appreciated and set my mind at ease.

tk123 wrote: »
    Somebody we know had a small dog left outside their house!!! Don't have much details except the took it to the vet..and they weren't walking it yesterday evening when they were out with their own dog (and too far away to ask) so hopefully it was chipped and claimed!

It was chipped and collected! :D The owner's husband is minding it and it's not the first time it's been brought into the vets :rolleyes:

Little fluff ball is getting very friendly, so happy, but it's heart breaking, she is exactly like our late Mouse who died last year aged just 1, I think my uncle was right that they had the same mother,
    Here's fluffy kitten
    zyittu.jpg
    Not a great photo, she's still a bit skittish.

Here's Mouse...
    hx50l4.jpg
    Not great comparison pics due to the age difference and lighting, but I couldn't tell them apart as kittens, from the pics on my laptop until I checked dates.

We'll have 4 very freaked out cats here on Monday as the foundations for the boundary wall in the back garden is being done. Ya know something that really bugs me is being patronised by tradesmen. I said I didn't want the wall plastered, not due to cost but for a number of other reasons. I thought I'd made myself clear on that. However, when my husband answered the door to him he proceeded to say 'while I have you here', then launched into a spiel about plastering the wall.

Jeusus H, it makes my blood boil. It's that sexist lets just sort this out between us men attitude. Honestly, if it wasn't such a nightmare finding someone to do the wall I would have told him the job was off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Vogue has officially earned her "cool" status, she went over to the local country pub tonight, marched in the door and went around the pub till she found my dad. He had to come the whole way back home with her :D

Felix and Jazzy just got a telling off from Mr P. A huge spider ran out from under the sofa while I was in the kitchen, they both ignored it, Mr P is terrified of spiders, so I had to trap it in a pint glass and pop it outdoors to continue it's spidey work. We've 4 cats and none of them is interested in killing insects. Mr P is now paranoid since I'd to put a different huge spider out last night as well. Jazzy came to investigate what I was doing in the garden.

Oh god, why is it always weekends, Ruby just came in limping very badly on one of her back legs, I don't think it's broken as I can pick her up and touch it, looks like she may have a small wound on it, but can't get a good look.
    She's such a drama queen it's hard to know if it's serious, gonna spend all night worrying now, until she lets me get a proper look.

Pumpkinseeds, I get accused of faking catching and releasing spiders if my daughter finds one that looks similar within a day or two.
    Ruby is the spider killer/eater in our house.

I'm terrified of spiders. One time my mum got rid of one and put it outside, came back in and hugged me and it had somehow hitched a ride back in on her shoulder :eek: :eek: :eek:

I've not been able to go near anyone after them getting rid of a spider since :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

So cute Nala loves teddys but rabbit seems to be her favourite and she brings him to bed. Poor rabbit only has one ear left and i can't find anywhere else to buy one!

Just been woken by Elly jumping on my head and trying to eat my hair!

She doesn't do it to anyone else, just me. Ditto biting legs, following me everywhere, crying like a baby if I happen to leave her eyeline for any reason!! only me though, son and hubby don't get the same treatment!!

I've a friend who had a male cat who used to get in loads of fights and was in and out of the vets because of awful injuries from said fights. Suggested to friend that she could get him neutered to try and fix this but she didn't because her Dad didn't want him to lose his 'manliness'. Anyway, sadly the cat was ended up hit by a car a few km away from the house because he'd gone roaming. This was her second un neutered male to go missing within a year.
    Fast forward to this year and she appears to have another cat which has given birth to 6 kittens this morning :(

It really bothers me because she's an intelligent adult and she seen everything that went on with George (feral I took in that was bleeding from the eyes that tested positive for FIV and FELv) and I sent her on loads of information about the cat over population problem/spread of disease etc and all that jazzle and yet still...?

Sorry for the mini rant :o

I was playing with doggy this morning and I noticed the hair on her back is starting to turn a gingery red colour. I've noticed it happening before in the cats during the summer, happens cream every year and my old black cat frodo would get his highlights for the summer, but never noticed it on the dog before! I think she was dying her hair to match mine :D

Sometimes it's like banging your head against a wall, I know, I've been there.
    I took two kittens from someone to rehome with a friend a few months back, got a voucher for her to get reduced cost neutering, but she didn't bother, the cat was clearly pregnant again, i said I'd see if I could find someone to take her and a few days later she dumped the cat out in the country somewhere. If I'd known she was going to do it I would have taken the cat there and then. I was so mad, and now she's saying kids want another cat!

Ruby seems to be better today, walking almost normally, but I'm keeping a close eye on her, little madam bawled until daughter gave her roast chicken for breakfast.

I was playing with doggy this morning and I noticed the hair on her back is starting to turn a gingery red colour. I've noticed it happening before in the cats during the summer, happens cream every year and my old black cat frodo would get his highlights for the summer, but never noticed it on the dog before! I think she was dying her hair to match mine :D

Our neighbours dog gets them too - she was asked one day if she'd gotten his highlights done at a groomers lol!!! :p

I was laying on the bed playing with Poppy, until she decided to whack me between the eyes for some reason. It might have been that I brushed my hair off my forehead:confused: I've got a claw hole where she whacked me. She's in a weird kitty mood today.

Roisin is a gorgeous highlighted red colour when the sun hits her, deep dark black otherwise! Her dog-dad is a red cocker so I guess that's where it comes from. I must try and get a photo of it one day, it's lovely.

A cat I had growing up also had the red highlights, only they were actual circular spots!

Omg I had forgotten how hyper, nuts, mischievous and fun collie pups are!!

So far today she has dug a hole in the grass, ran round the garden with one of my son's slippers, gone flying through the kitchen cos her legs went from under her. She has also tried to eat water and fight with a stream!!

Thank god I'd previous experience with collies otherwise I'd think they were impossible!!

• Advertisement

So literally every test they did on Umi came back negative, even the mri after a second and third opinion was deemed clear. so we got to take her home :D she's still not back to herself but she's very slowly improving every day. I'm so happy about having her back I dont even care that she crapped all over my handbag, or that I had to keep giving her cotton wool baths because she absolutely stinks :pac:her and the kitten were getting on great earlier, she started grooming the kitten and cuddling her and my bf said they're like two lesbians raising a baby haha

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement