Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

How can a cat purr in his sleep all night long?

He was purring when I fell asleep, I woke twice and he was still purring, and I woke at 6 he was still purring and it kept me awake until I got up at 7.
    He even walked downstairs and out the back door, purring all the time.

My daughter thinks he's getting senile, he purrs if you look at him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Felix is loving the Moo Goo breast feeding mums cream I got for his scraped paws, of course he licks it off as soon as I put it on and watches to see if any falls so he can eat that. I tried to brush Toby too soon after breakfast so he gave me a warning snap of teeth in my direction. He's going to be disappointed that my husband is has a week off work from tonight. He should be on nights next week and Toby sprawls on his side of the bed for most of the night.

Funnily enough if I am sitting up reading he'd stay on the bed all night but as soon as I lay down he heads off. Mr P often has his feet wrestled under the duvet when he gets into the bed, I'm not sure if Toby is playing or trying to oust him from the bed.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,023 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Magpies were chasing squirrels in the park earlier lol - it looked mad :p

Magpies tried to chase our Ruby (cat) in out garden a few weeks ago, such a racket, Ruby was howling at them, they were squawking angrily, they haven't been back since, but we got some lovely blue tail feathers!

(She didn't kill them, but did manage to grab a few feathers as they left)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

My dogs used to get dive bombed by the magpies and crows in London - they're tough birds.

• Advertisement

Double trouble for the vet today - Bailey in about his gum and Lucy girl getting her boosters and check up! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

I think the best thing about having Roisin crate trained is whenever something goes missing (pens, crochet hooks, cat food pouch etc) you never have to look far... Everything gets stored in her crate! :pac:

I think the best thing about having Roisin crate trained is whenever something goes missing (pens, crochet hooks, cat food pouch etc) you never have to look far... Everything gets stored in her crate! :pac:

Haha the same with Lucy - everything ends up in her bed! :D :rolleyes:

Am watching the new pet programme on RTE 1 and I already feel like I got just a little bit sick in my mouth. Sorry folks but putting a dress on a dog is just ridiculous. Looking at the woman with all the pedigree dogs and pearl necklaces for the dogs from Newbridge silver makes me angry when I think of all the rescues struggling to find funds to meet even the most basic of needs for animals.:mad:

Am watching the new pet programme on RTE 1 and I already feel like I got just a little bit sick in my mouth. Sorry folks but putting a dress on a dog is just ridiculous. Looking at the woman with all the pedigree dogs and pearl necklaces for the dogs from Newbridge silver makes me angry when I think of all the rescues struggling to find funds to meet even the most basic of needs for animals.:mad:

They sell WEDDING dresses in PetStop - i kid you not!

Bailey and Lucy at the vets today - Bailey was inconsolable and Lucy was delighted with herself - woo wooing at everyone, getting everyone to pet her and standing with her 2 paws up on the table lol!!

• Advertisement

I came up to bed at 11 and jake followed me.
    2 hrs and 18 mins later, he's still purring, I think this may be a repeat of the other night.

How can a cat purr all night?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Max woke me up 5 or 6 times during the night licking my arms/legs/feet. He's come a long way from the stray we trapped nearly a year ago :)

GAH!! An injured bird in the park this morning - my friends dog tried to chase it and then Bailey got interested it in but was very good and left it when I told him!

No movement with Bailey's weirdy lumpy gum and now poor Lucy has a sore eye! So I'll probably end up taking her over tomorrow and big boy in on Tuesday morning to be knocked out and the lump lanced etc!

In happier news the park was the most flooded we've ever seen it and the dogs were in their element lol! :pac:

Edit - decided the eye had gotten too bad too fast for it to be just conjunctivitis and I was right - a small ulcer!! Her face is all dyed from when the vet was examining her eye :p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Anyone know if an English Mastiff is on the restricted breeds list.

Think I have my eye on my next puppy but I cant take any dog that's on the restricted breeds list for personal reasons.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I'm over in the UK at the moment and the pet shops have some fab stuff. Even down to freezers with raw food in them! Wishing they were the same at home, but at the same time glad they're not - I'd never have any money!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Anyone know if an English Mastiff is on the restricted breeds list.

Think I have my eye on my next puppy but I cant take any dog that's on the restricted breeds list for personal reasons.

Nope just the Bull Mastiff, though I'd imagine that a lot of people may have trouble differentiating between the two breeds!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Nope just the Bull Mastiff, though I'd imagine that a lot of people may have trouble differentiating between the two breeds!

Thanks for that.I have to be careful with my choices of breeds..Long winded post about it in the parenting forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Thanks for that.I have to be careful with my choices of breeds..Long winded post about it in the parenting forum.

I think there is a sort of catch-all phrase that can mean that certain dog types can be included on the list but it would be down to individual interpretation by dog wardens etc. DBB wrote about it but I can't find the post/thread. It would be worth checking though.

:( Just left my poor Bailey boy howling and crying in the vets!

Toby has discovered his inner snugglepuss. The last few nights he's moved right up to the middle of us in bed when we're reading and goes fast asleep against my husbands thigh. He used to just sleep at the bottom of the bed. I know there's a lap cat in there, I just have to keep working on him:)

• Advertisement

I believe the same of kitten number two here, much as she growls when we pick her up, I know there's a purr in there somewhere!

She's getting braver and coming out around the house, but runs if we got to pet her or pick her up. She is such a beauty too, deep blue/grey and fluffy, going to look just like our late Mouse, and it's heart breaking she's not becoming more friendly.
    Her sister however is full of love, even for the dogs!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

snoman wrote: »
    I think there is a sort of catch-all phrase that can mean that certain dog types can be included on the list but it would be down to individual interpretation by dog wardens etc. DBB wrote about it but I can't find the post/thread. It would be worth checking though.

Yes, potentially pretty much ALL mastiff breeds and derivations of them could be interpreted as being "Ban Dogs"... It's a bit of a grey area really, but I wouldn't fancy having to defend myself in court if the local wardens had deemed English Mastiffs to be a Ban Dog, because they just might have a point :o
    It might not do any harm to call your local wardens Hellrazer, see what the lie of the land is with them.

God what a day!! Both dogs in the vets - Bailey for his jaw and Lucy for her freaky eye. The ulcer has healed but the eye is still badly infected and has even got a blue spot - it's like a ghosts eye! The sock I put on her wrist to stop her rubbing at it and she looks like she's from the 80's :p

mymo wrote: »
    I believe the same of kitten number two here, much as she growls when we pick her up, I know there's a purr in there somewhere!

She's getting braver and coming out around the house, but runs if we got to pet her or pick her up. She is such a beauty too, deep blue/grey and fluffy, going to look just like our late Mouse, and it's heart breaking she's not becoming more friendly.
    Her sister however is full of love, even for the dogs!

Ahh, she'll get there. I wondered about Jasper. He was a feral kitten, can't have been more than 4 months old when he first started showing up in our back yard. It was a year before he let me touch him and much longer than that before he make a single vocal sound. We thought he was mute for a long time because he never even purred during that time.

He's a clever lad though, very clever and a little cuddle monster. Once the trust is there she'll be fine. You know what they're like, one day she'll just decide that you're OK to trust and she won't be able to get enough fuss:)

I can pick her up, but she's stiff and growls, so I try not to unless it's to move her or give her food.

I just got to rub her head while she was on the cat tree, no growls, and she didn't try to run. It's amazing, her sister was 8 weeks and tame in 36hrs, she was a week older and we are really struggling.
    She doesn't mind the dogs, and likes catnip, but our 3 cats are not very happy with them, tolerant at a distance, but not so up close.

Oliver meanwhile has developed a kitten licking obsession!

Daughters friend got a blue merle/tan/white collie pup and brought him to visit on Saturday, she was worried our two would try and eat him, but they were disgusted he wasn't playing with them, Tiffi managed to get him to chase a little in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I never normally do this but look what I get to play with this week!! A gorgeous samoyed puppy!! She's adorable, and gives puppy kisses when you ask for them and when she's tired and you pick her up she snuggles into your neck to fall asleep! She's also brilliantly confident and meeting the other dogs is no problem at all to her, she is loving it.

LVqr9Bgl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

She's gorgeous BLM :D

Haha BLM is broody for a pup!! :D

Felix and Jasper have Mr P well trained. At about 11ish every night Jazzy comes into the living room and sits in front of him staring at him to move out of his seat on the sofa, he specifically wants the right side of the sofa. So Mr P has to move to the other side of the sofa if I'm not on it or go and sit on the other sofa. If Mr P is sitting on the left side of the sofa when Felix comes in he insists on having the seat Mr P is sitting on so he's left in the middle of the sofa, the most uncomfortable part of the sofa :D Cats are so fussy.

He's should be on nights this week but he took a weeks holiday, Toby is only just tolerating him having 'his' side of the bed:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Harley tried the same crack. He likes to have his bum on the sofa and his upper body across the arm. Unfortunately for him, K and I like the same so he tries the minds trick of staring at us until one of us scooches over for him. If one of is doesn't he climbs up over the arm wiggles his bum between k and the arm then stretches, shoving k out of the way. All the while making dinosaur noises.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement