Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Toby's been doing his best sprawl on the bed every night to take up as much of my husbands side of the bed as possible. It's funny how 1 cat can take up so much space. I think he's cheating on us with another human as he didn't come home til almost noon and he'd eaten elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Our elderly Pepper is going downhill fast. Hasnt eaten for 3rd day. My heart is breaking. I want to bring him to the vet tonight, but my husband and daughter want to give him time to bounce back. He has bounced back from deaths door several times. He is alert and moving about. He has bounced back from his gastric problems - his bladder & kidneys are shot (growths) , there will be no bouncing back this time. I want to have him pts before he gets weak/in pain. My husband and daughter say hes happy, hes not ready. Letting go is so hard :( I thought since he got this prognosis many weeks ago that I was psyched up for it, and ready - IM NOT!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Fingers and paws crossed for you and pepper aonB, it's one of the hardest decisions you'll ever have to make. Big hugs to you :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,023 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Oh poor Pepper and poor you for having to make the decision :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Poor pepper, it's an awful despising to have to make.

• Advertisement

I'm so sorry to read that aonb. I think it's one of the hardest decisions we ever have to make. But I try to think of it as our final gift to them:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

SingItOut wrote: »
    Just went out to the shed to bring in alli's crate and saw a huge spider sitting on one of the bike seats. I googled it and it's a tegenaria spider I believe (if you're scared of spiders like me don't google it! Their frickin huge!), largest spider I've seen here. While I was freaking out at the spider , a house martin flew out from behind the light so that was a second heart attack! Still freaked out by the spider eep!!

So, I Googled the spider before bed last night (stupid!) and legit had nightmares about them :-(

Oh poor Pepper, aonb. Such a difficult decision :-(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Aonb, I'm so sorry :-(
    It's a horrible will I, won't I situation, there's always just that little inner voice saying "what if?" when the oldies are going downhill bit by bit and we're trying to make the call :-(
    I'm also sorry to discuss this as it's just not a nice thing to discuss, but when the time comes, would you consider getting the vet to come to you, given how much the old boy hates the vets? I know it's a new practice you have nearby, but hopefully an option with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Im so sorry aonb. Ive read lots about your beloved Pepper on here. I really feel for you. He's been such a lucky dog to have been given so much love. Very sorry for you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Sorry aonb :( It's such an agonising decision, but no matter what it'll be the right thing for everyone involved. I'll be thinking of ye :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

So sorry aonb, so very sorry, heartbreaking.
    Would agree with DBB if you can get the vet to come to you, makes a big difference, I got the vet out to the in-laws dog when he passed a few weeks ago, at least I was there stroking his big grey face when he went.
    Be strong and listen to your heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

aonb, my heart goes out to you. I hope you get strength from the thoughts of us here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Actually aonb... (and I'm feeling worried that you're not online this past while), there is a vet in Wicklow who runs a mobile clinic, she literally drives her clinic to her patient's homes to carry out routine stuff, and though she's based in Wicklow I'm pretty sure she covers all surrounding counties.
    A most trusted doggy friend of mine tells me she's a wonderful vet... I can get you her number if you'd like?
    God I feel so crap for you right now, having said tearful, heartbroken goodbyes to two faithful old friends in the past couple of years.. it doesn't get any easier :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

aonb wrote: »
    Our elderly Pepper is going downhill fast. Hasnt eaten for 3rd day. My heart is breaking. I want to bring him to the vet tonight, but my husband and daughter want to give him time to bounce back. He has bounced back from deaths door several times. He is alert and moving about. He has bounced back from his gastric problems - his bladder & kidneys are shot (growths) , there will be no bouncing back this time. I want to have him pts before he gets weak/in pain. My husband and daughter say hes happy, hes not ready. Letting go is so hard :( I thought since he got this prognosis many weeks ago that I was psyched up for it, and ready - IM NOT!

I know what you're going through Aonb - Our guy had many reprieves in his last months. He would always show us something small that we took as 'I'm okay' but in truth he was struggling near the end. I had already discussed it with my Vet and asked when the time is right could she call to the house - we spent two weeks pampering him and on June 6th we made the call - It was like he knew, but not in a bad way, he would often get up if someone called but that afternoon he lay in his bed and I lay beside him and held him. It's even hard for me to write this. But be assured you have given Pepper the best life - we're never ready for the end, but somewhere in my heart I believe they are.
    Thinking of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Thanks to all of you for your kind thoughts/replies. Dog lovers, or pet lovers know how we feel about our beloved friends.
    DBB I thought of having the vet come here, will phone them tomorrow and ask if they will do that, but if not I will just sit in the back of the car with him and the vet will come out to the car.
    Hes such a lovely dog - so unique (and I know we all say that) but Pep has always been so calm, so confident, so reserverd, so clever, and hes been my special dog for 16 years. I think hes a one-woman-dog and trusts me completely, so I wont fail him now.
    The horrible thing is that he is alert and moving about, making the decision so much harder, but we cant let him get weak or start to get stressed
    Thank you all again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Thinking of you aonb. xx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I feel for you Aonb, it must be a heartbreaking decision, but you'll know when it's time. xx

Trying to get ready for working and Ruby is following me around shouting (meowing loudly in that wailing 'help me' tone) because it's raining!

Little dog is pretending to be asleep so I won't put her outside again to pee.

Well we got soaked this morning in the rain AND there was thunder and lightening when we were out(!) I was yipping and cheering like a mad woman because Bailey has become afraid of thunder/fireworks in the last year and was a bit worried. Hopefully it worked because there was more thunder when we were on the way home and when we were inside and he came to me for a treat instead of running to hide!! Lucy had a stand-off in the river with a herring - Bailey mustn't have liked it (like me!) and went over and barked to make it fly away lol!! :)

Felix brought in a live mouse last night. He and Jazzy have caught 3 this week. Now I'm not thrilled about them getting creatures but it's what cats are designed to do. Mr P on the other hand gets very upset about it, he's usually the one who rescues them. He keeps going on about the 'poor terrified mice', but I'm just glad that we aren't over run with rodents.

A house further down the street had a digger in last week so I'm guessing it disturbed a nest of mice. Felix isn't much of a mouser so for him to be getting them they must be fairly easy to get at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

tk123 wrote: »
    Well we got soaked this morning in the rain AND there was thunder and lightening when we were out(!) I was yipping and cheering like a mad woman because Bailey has become afraid of thunder/fireworks in the last year and was a bit worried. Hopefully it worked because there was more thunder when we were on the way home and when we were inside and he came to me for a treat instead of running to hide!! Lucy had a stand-off in the river with a herring - Bailey mustn't have liked it (like me!) and went over and barked to make it fly away lol!! :)

I'm sorry tk, I wasn't going to post, but your typo really did make me lol this morning when I read it, I have a brilliant mental image of a fish suddenly sprouting wings and flying up into the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

muddypaws wrote: »
    I'm sorry tk, I wasn't going to post, but your typo really did make me lol this morning when I read it, I have a brilliant mental image of a fish suddenly sprouting wings and flying up into the sky.

I laughed too - I assumed it was done on the phone. My phone autocorrects some words on me time and time again. There's been times when I've text an order of duck necks only to ask for either dick necks or f**k necks :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I laughed too - I assumed it was done on the phone. My phone autocorrects some words on me time and time again. There's been times when I've text an order of duck necks only to ask for either dick necks or f**k necks :o.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac: Brilliant.

Stupid phone! :pac: It was the bird not the fish. :p I was surprised he let her get so close - too close imo and then Bailey went over and barked it away!
    I have a funnier one than the duck necks though lol!! My mum and aunts think they're cool using txt speak - eg tq for thank you, cu for see you...etc My bro text my mum saying he'd be out next Thursday and she and she proceeded to text him "see you next Thursday" but in her txt speak it was CU*T lolololol!! Luckily she realised before she sent it lol! :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

xzanti wrote: »
    I have 2 new arrivals in the house.. Mojo and Winnie.. 2 beautiful guinea pigs..

Mojo is a short haired, about 7-8 months old I'd say.. and Winnie is a little long haired who's about 2-3 months old.

I have no pics yet as they are extremely shy and I'm trying to just give them some space until they settle.. so apart from cleaning the cage and feeding, I don't bother them too much.. I've noticed they are getting more relaxed though.

Mojo is very protective over Winnie which is so sweet.. he always sits back and lets little Winnie at the food first in the mornings :D

I still miss Moe so much :( but watching these 2 funny critters is good medicine.

I just caught Winnie 'popcorning' for the first time :D

I'm so happy!!!! :P I feel like they're finally settling in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Our regular walk along the sea has been taken over by a convoy of caravans all from one family. The last evening I drove past them and there was about a dozen kids of various sizes scattered everywhere all over the narrow road along with bikes, buggys etc. The adults don't seem to pass any heed of their kids getting mowed down on the road and don't make much if any effort to call them in. This evening we practically got attacked by these kids while walking the dogs. About 6 of them varying from toddlers to the oldest looked about 7 surrounded us to maul the dogs asking 'does he bite, will he kill me, can i pet his tail'. I'm minding someone's little bichon x at the moment and she's used to older kids but I'v no idea what she's like with very young kids pulling out of her from all angles. Made me very nervous because the kids literally surrounded us from all sides. I'm sure the parents looking out from inside their caravans would've been fairly quick to run out if one of their little darlings got bitten but not one person called the kids back.

Quite angry as it's our regular walking place and we'l now have to go somewhere else or cut our walks short to keep away from them.

I text someone called Caoimhe and my phone changed her name to felonies!
    Auto correct has made a lot of embarrassing texts for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I remember texting my friend telling her what I want from the Chinese. I did not want dick in plum sauce! Have never lived that one down!

Has anyone else heard the superstition that it's good look if a bird poops on your left shoulder? Because today, Dude pooped on my left shoulder. I wonder what that means :pac:

We used to have an absolute nightmare trimming Poppy's nails. Because of the pillow pad issue with her paws they are about double the size they should be, so her claws don't wear down the way they normally should when she claws her scratchy post etc.

We tried cat clippers but she wouldn't let us do that so we'd end up taking her to the vet which was an absolute nightmare for all involved. I bought a little human nail clippers and trimmed a couple of her claws while she was sprawled on our bed yesterday, she didn't even bat an eyelid so I'll get a few more today:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

So, torrential rain outside.
    Both dogs need to pee, but Poppy acts as if you are abusing her if you even say the words 'outside' and it raining, so she's put herself to bed and refusing to leave.
    Roisin raced outside, absolutely delighted with life and got herself soaked for a full 10 minutes before remembering why she was out there :pac:

We were driving on the South Link Road in Cork the other day from Ballincollig to Wilton when this gigantic Heron just flies in front of us and pants himself int he middle of the road :eek: Thank good it was a quiet time of night and we had enough time to swerve and avoid him. He just stood there staring us down. Such mad creatures!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement