Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Angledaisy: So funny when they freak out at a MONSTER that turns out to be leaves or a stone or a stick or something - those hackles make them look so threatening! My fellow always looks a bit sheepish when he approaches the MONSTER scary thing with hackles up only to discover that it was yet another false alarm!! (Hey, you never know, one day it will be a monster for sure!!)

Does she only raise the hackles above her tail - not along her whole back?!? Cute! Lovely colouring - same as my 2 terriers (so Im biased)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

aonb wrote: »

Does she only raise the hackles above her tail - not along her whole back?!? Cute! Lovely colouring - same as my 2 terriers (so Im biased)

She just raises that little patch above her tail - most peculiar! None of my other dogs ever did this - my collie would run from danger :eek: although if he was 'safe' he would bark menacingly:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭tk123

On the subject of hackles...if a dog runs over to your dog(s) with hackles raised really really tall would you be worried?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

tk123 wrote: »
    On the subject of hackles...if a dog runs over to your dog(s) with hackles raised really really tall would you be worried?

If the rest if the body language was ok I wouldn't be. Did something happen?

Whispered wrote: »
    If the rest if the body language was ok I wouldn't be. Did something happen?

Yes and no - a dog in our park would stalk and then come running into the other dogs and take them down by the neck/floor them. Last time he did it to Bailey he was lame that evening so I won't let him near Lucy. A lab crossed with something with a high prey/work drive we think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Definitely going to have to get the cat behaviourist in come New Year. I'm sitting in the kitchen beside Toby as Felix is Hell bent on getting at him. He chased Jazzy up the stairs earlier. My husband had to brush him, as it's the only thing that gets him to stop, he hates being brushed and wanders off to escape it. A minute ago he was sitting in the open back door and when Mr P tried to close the door he growled at him. That's despite the Zylkene happy pills and the Feliway diffuser in the kitchen. Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Having a girls night in with Jesse watching a film and having a few kopparbergs :) She has a habit of drinking out of cups and glasses, I left the room and when I came back in she was sitting on the couch licking her lips, hope she wasn't drinking my kopparberg :p She's now sitting under the tv watching it :D The tree went up this evening and she had to be locked out of the room until she calmed down :D

my v.elderly terrier, gets a gastric 'episode' a few times a year. Poor little chap is miserable today. Been to the vets many times with this - no solution really - he just rides it out. Its not as bad as it used to be thankfully, but bowels are revolting, off his food (he's usually food obsessed), no energy and just lies on the sofa looking uncomfortable and miserable :( So worrying/stressful looking at him. Hopefully as with all these episodes to date, he will be over it tomorrow/very soon. Sometimes having pets is heart wrenching

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

The yorkie i was due to foster over christmas found her forever home this week so now i've to choose another dog! So i'm going to pick another dog tomoro morning. So excited to see who i get.

We got home this evening after a very long, very stressful day. Soo nice to get in out of the wind and rain, shut the door and spend the evening with our furry babies, especially to see Toby sound asleep on the sofa. Calm didn't last long though, as Felix decided to start harassing him as soon as we sat down.

• Advertisement

nala2012 wrote: »
    The yorkie i was due to foster over christmas found her forever home this week so now i've to choose another dog! So i'm going to pick another dog tomoro morning. So excited to see who i get.

lovely to know that one dog got a forever home. Let us know how you do and what you will be fostering. While I was in the vet this a.m there was a dad/boy bringing in their rescue JRT to have its nails clipped. That dog was the most exhausting animal Ive ever come across, and I was only there about 10 mins!!!! A real beauty but as I say, exhausting!!

I want to change the bedlinen but Jazzy and Poppy are sound asleep on our bed. Can't bear to disturb them.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Somehow even though i said i wasn't going to foster a big dog or a puppy i ended up with a german shepherd pup! He's 3 months old and luckily has a home lined up pending home check etc. Thank god cos i don't think i could part with him. I did forget how annoying toilet training is, especially with the weather is now. He's pretty good though and only 1 accident when i left him with my boyfriend. I'm not looking forward to tonight though and i've a feeling he'll end up in my bed or i'll be on the couch with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

nala2012 wrote: »
    Somehow even though i said i wasn't going to foster a big dog or a puppy i ended up with a german shepherd pup! He's 3 months old and luckily has a home lined up pending home check etc. Thank god cos i don't think i could part with him. I did forget how annoying toilet training is, especially with the weather is now. He's pretty good though and only 1 accident when i left him with my boyfriend. I'm not looking forward to tonight though and i've a feeling he'll end up in my bed or i'll be on the couch with him.

That's your problem right there. :D He sounds lovely (the pup). I don't blame you for being relieved he has a home lined up.

That's your problem right there. :D He sounds lovely (the pup). I don't blame you for being relieved he has a home lined up.

+1 - nearly all of the accidents that happened here were on my Dad's watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Lexi managed to eat half a Christmas cake today :( She vomited so much, couldn't keep water down so brought her to the vet. Shes sleeping now and hasn't been sick since thankfully. Horrible seeing her so sick. My poor washing machine didn't get a break today!

Rommie wrote: »
    Escaped ferret maybe?

Close - a rabbit called Roger lol! Signs have gone up on the park railings looking for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Because of the lack of tail, dudes butt directly touches the floor when he sits so he's leaving butt scent everywhere, we can't smell it but cream is going mad sniffing all the butt patches on the floor :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

tk123 wrote: »
    Close - a rabbit called Roger lol! Signs have gone up on the park railings looking for him.

Roger rabbit :p I actually suggested it could be an escaped rabbit :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

toadfly wrote: »
    Lexi managed to eat half a Christmas cake today :( She vomited so much, couldn't keep water down so brought her to the vet. Shes sleeping now and hasn't been sick since thankfully. Horrible seeing her so sick. My poor washing machine didn't get a break today!
    :eek::o Oh no, poor you and Lexi. You did the right thing bringing her in though.

It may sound grand to most people, but some of the contents of a Christmas pudding, in large quantities (raisins,sultanas,alcohol) can be highly toxic. A cake is very similar. A vet in work nearly lost her dog 2 years ago after her scavenger Boxer ate a whole christmas pudding. Expensive and worrying Christmas and Stephens day for both of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Thanks Annie. Just checked on her and she hasn't been sick since. She's drinking a ridiculous amount of water though so hope that's not a bad sign. Not sure when I should feed her again. Might try some plain rice later.

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Roger rabbit :p I actually suggested it could be an escaped rabbit :p

A least I know I'm not losing my marbles ...or eyesight lol! He must have still been up there on Friday because Bailey kept looking up towards the field and sniffing!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Thanks Annie. Just checked on her and she hasn't been sick since. She's drinking a ridiculous amount of water though so hope that's not a bad sign. Not sure when I should feed her again. Might try some plain rice later.

That's probably the dehydration from all the vomiting.. I really do feel your pain, my old Westie was a demon for finding boxes of chocs, and once devoured a blackberry and apple tart that I'd bought, he seized that particular opportunity whilst I was packing away the rest of the shopping.
    So he had his fair share of days of feeling crap, and I had my fair share of worrying days.
    If she'll accept some boiled chicken, you're probably okay to feed it to her, she may feel better for some healthy food. In the meantime, good luck.... We'll all be rooting for her here :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Jazbee

My dog won't go outside to wee in this weather. I don't know how she's holding it for so long..I put her out twice, she went straight into the kennel. So I went out with her and carried her onto the grass and encouraged her. No, straight back into the kennel. Our garden floods easily so the grass is soaking.

She won't go for a walk in the heavy rain either. Hmmm not sure what to do!

Wishing you all a Happy Christmas, really enjoying looking at the Secret Santa thread. Can't wait for my little girl to open her presents on Christmas Day! :) (and the kids of course!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

Does anyone elses cat like to follow them to the toilet and sit outside the door and cry while they're inside? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Does anyone elses cat like to follow them to the toilet and sit outside the door and cry while they're inside? :confused:

No but my dog waits outside the bathroom nervously pacing when I have a shower. I can only assume it's because he hates when he has to go in the shower he thinks I'm torturing myself on a daily basis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

pampootie wrote: »
    No but my dog waits outside the bathroom nervously pacing when I have a shower. I can only assume it's because he hates when he has to go in the shower he thinks I'm torturing myself on a daily basis

Yeah she hates the shower too, shes long haired so she ends up needing her backside washed every few days :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

pampootie wrote: »

My pair would follow me into every room in the house if they could but if I tell them that I'm having a 'bath' or a 'shower', they get straight up onto the bed, they'll never to go near the bathroom if the water happens to be running!

As for the loo, I tend to run in and just close over the door, so if Coco is in the hall she'll nose the door over, but again as soon as the toilet flushes, it's time to scarper!

Yet on the beach, my pair will gladly launch themselves into the sea, whether it's calm or choppy or whatever temperature, not a problem to them! Give them a nice lukewarm 4 inches of bathwater and I'm trying to torture them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Hows Lexi feeling today? (and thank the lucky stars she didn't get hold of it Christmas night!)

• Advertisement

I don't even bother trying to close the bathroom door anymore:o Toby would howl the place down if I did. He has a little routine where he winds around my legs purring then jumps up on the back of the bath before walking along the side of the bath to have a drink from the tap over the bathroom sink. The others just stick their paws under the door

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement