Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Maybe i picked it up wrong? Will do some research later. She gets walked on a harness and has a cough when she gets excited. Not sure what age she is actually just wanted to know she got on with my dogs and cat! Wish i could take her home today but i'm working long hours this week.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

My westie had it, it's really common in smaller, older dogs. Not wanting to alarm you, but if he did too much too quickly, eg running from resting in his bed to chase birds in the garden, he could on occasion faint, as the trachea closed over altogether with the sudden activity/ adrenaline rush/blood flow. It's pretty common with this condition.
    It is pretty distressing to be honest, but everything would return to normal after a few seconds, once the trachea re-opened. The dog would get up and walk away almost as if nothing had happened, though he would seem a little dazed for a few mins.

Well she seemed very laid back dog when i had her out walking and was calm in her kennel so i think she's a old enough. I know she will probably be different when i bring her home though! Was there any medication prescribed or anything?

nala2012 wrote: »
    Well she seemed very laid back dog when i had her out walking and was calm in her kennel so i think she's a old enough. I know she will probably be different when i bring her home though! Was there any medication prescribed or anything?

A bronchodilator is usually prescribed, often an oral one, but to be honest, they didn't help my fella much until I bought a "spacer" (an atomiser with a mask to go over the dog's muzzle so he can breathe it in) and got the vet to prescribe a bronchodilator inhaler for him. This gets it right where it needs to be, and brings quick relief. It also avoids the systemic effects of giving the meds orally.
    Steroids may also be prescribed, but again, the direct delivery via an inhaler is far superior... The systemic effects of steroids are always best reduced!
    I bought a proper doggy spacer for him, but a paediatric one would be just as good, a seriously cheaper!

Cool thanks for the info. I'm not definatly keeping her long term so will see how things go and get more info about her. This is going to be a long week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Not impressed with the 3 entries per poster rule, I'v spent the last 45 minutes narrowing down my photos and trying to pick the best lot, I originally had a photo for nearly every category :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I'm trying to sleep, just had a quick peek at boards, now my brain is working overtime trying to figure out which 3 pics!

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Not impressed with the 3 entries per poster rule, I'v spent the last 45 minutes narrowing down my photos and trying to pick the best lot, I originally had a photo for nearly every category :p

You have guilted me into changing this rule :-)
    Everyone can now enter one photo into each category, so that'll keep ye all busy for a while *note use of human equivalent of Kong toy.... Mwa ha haaa!*

DBB wrote: »
    You have guilted me into changing this rule :-)
    Everyone can now enter one photo into each category, so that'll keep ye all busy for a while *note use of human equivalent of Kong toy.... Mwa ha haaa!*

*runs off enthusiastically with kong toy* Off to spend another hour choosing photos :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I finally got to make the bed. Every time I went to make it yesterday there was at least 1 cat sound asleep on it, usually 2 of them. I didn't have the heart to move them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Bloody hell - trying to take a nice christmassy photo of the dogs to enter the Dogs First comp - in the end Bailey got fed up and Lucy went asleep lol! :p

http://woobox.com/mgawqw/vote/for/1770544

tk123 wrote: »
    Bloody hell - trying to take a nice christmassy photo of the dogs to enter the Dogs First comp - in the end Bailey got fed up and Lucy went asleep lol! :p

http://woobox.com/mgawqw/vote/for/1770544

Cute! I didn't read it properly and entered a photo of my cat!! She does eat Graw though...

nala2012 wrote: »
    Cute! I didn't read it properly and entered a photo of my cat!! She does eat Graw though...

Lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

My granny is coming down at the weekend to stay with us for Christmas. I somehow don't think she will be impressed with the ICU set up in my sitting room :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

My young very stupid (!!) dog, killed a HUUUGGGGEEEEE rat solo this a.m. Hes a JRT/Patterdale cross so bred for ratting - the most hes ever done is 'help' the elderly dogs - a very messy kill but Im proud of him. All the money we've spent on his stuffed toys that he 'kills' and disembowels in minutes have obviously paid off :D On a sadder note, my poor elderly dog who was a champion ratter/mouser was nearby and noticed/heard nothing 8-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

In the eyes of my fur-babies the christmas tree is a toy vending machine :pac:
    First 2 ft of it are bare of bobbles now because they go and help themselves to one whenever they feel like playing. Watching tv last night, Pops just wandered over, stood on her hind legs and pulled a bobble off before trotting over to us for it to be thrown.

aonb wrote: »
    My young very stupid (!!) dog, killed a HUUUGGGGEEEEE rat solo this a.m. Hes a JRT/Patterdale cross so bred for ratting - the most hes ever done is 'help' the elderly dogs - a very messy kill but Im proud of him. All the money we've spent on his stuffed toys that he 'kills' and disembowels in minutes have obviously paid off :D On a sadder note, my poor elderly dog who was a champion ratter/mouser was nearby and noticed/heard nothing 8-(

That reminded me of yesterday morning in the park.. After Bailey running into the bushes 3 mornings in a row last week and me having to go and get him with Lucy in tow I've stopped letting him near them again (they had cleaned them up and taken the rubbish away but people are dumping rubbish bags again and full of glass)..Anyways it was still darkish out, we come up the hill and there was what I assumed a cat standing up tall over at the bushes. Bailey got very alert/excited so we headed off down the middle of the field - now normally a cat would run away but this 'creature' showed no fear at all with the 3 of us heading down the field towards it - it'd stay near the bushes then went out into the grass a good few times. The more we followed the more I got to thinking it wasn't a cat by it's movements.. We were gaining on it in that it was running out of bush/cover as it was headed towards a clearing and the light of the warden's yard where we might get a better glimpse of it...and then Lucy had to have a wee and we lost sight of it! I saw white on it - could have been other colours but it was too dark to be sure or take a photo. My bro thinks it could have been a stoat? It was definitely not a squirrel!

That reminded me of yesterday morning in the park.. After Bailey running into the bushes 3 mornings in a row last week and me having to go and get him with Lucy in tow I've stopped letting him near them again (they had cleaned them up and taken the rubbish away but people are dumping rubbish bags again and full of glass)..Anyways it was still darkish out, we come up the hill and there was what I assumed a cat standing up tall over at the bushes. Bailey got very alert/excited so we headed off down the middle of the field - now normally a cat would run away but this 'creature' showed no fear at all with the 3 of us heading down the field towards it - it'd stay near the bushes then went out into the grass a good few times. The more we followed the more I got to thinking it wasn't a cat by it's movements.. We were gaining on it in that it was running out of bush/cover as it was headed towards a clearing and the light of the warden's yard where we might get a better glimpse of it...and then Lucy had to have a wee and we lost sight of it! I saw white on it - could have been other colours but it was too dark to be sure or take a photo. My bro thinks it could have been a stoat? It was definitely not a squirrel!

A small fox maybe? :confused:

Zapperzy wrote: »
    A small fox maybe? :confused:

White though? That said there is foxes in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

In the eyes of my fur-babies the christmas tree is a toy vending machine :pac:
    First 2 ft of it are bare of bobbles now because they go and help themselves to one whenever they feel like playing. Watching tv last night, Pops just wandered over, stood on her hind legs and pulled a bobble off before trotting over to us for it to be thrown.

Pepper is the same! I think it's really funny. Got all the presents from home yesterday and she keeps lying & walking on them and batting the ribbons. She's made a few little holes in the paper.. My boyf is so gonna blame for tryin to peek at the presents when he gets home!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

My granny is coming down at the weekend to stay with us for Christmas. I somehow don't think she will be impressed with the ICU set up in my sitting room :pac:

Use it as an excuse to move everything to your bedroom!

White though? That said there is foxes in the area

An arctic fox perhaps :p did it look completely white or did you just see white bits? Could it have been an escaped or turned loose pet rabbit? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Escaped ferret maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We were at the vet again today to check on Felix's ear. Thankfully it's looking much better. He still needs another week of antibiotics but he's generally a lot happier than he was. Molly got her 2nd vaccinations too. She was very brave, she gets very quiet when she's frightened. She didn't make a sound all the way there or back. She wasn't too keen on having her nails trimmed though. Some sardines in sunflower oil perked her up when she got home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Collecting my christmas foster doggy tomorrow. Excited! 3 weeks of doggy fun...I hope :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

anniehoo wrote: »
    Collecting my christmas foster doggy tomorrow. Excited! 3 weeks of doggy fun...I hope :D

I'd love to do something like that if I was living on my own again, maybe next year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Sitting on the sofa with moone, she insists on squishing herself against me as much as she can. We're watching Cops and she's absolutely glued to it! She's in heat at the moment and is having a sulk because she has to wear the special dog pants. She was due to get spayed next month but it'll just have to wait until February now, she went into heat late this year so I assumed she wouldn't have went into heat again until feb/march. I know deep down she'll be fine but she's not never had surgery before so I'm so worried, she shrieks when getting boosters so I know she's going to have a hard time with stitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

anniehoo wrote: »

Oh great! Hope it goes really well - post some photos asap! My daughter is on and on to me to foster a Lurcher puppy from the rescue I volunteer with, just for Xmas she says - HAH! Wouldnt be fair to my elderly dog - when hes gone.......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Tara has this little patch of darker hair above her tail which stands up on end when she is stressed, angry or nervous. This morning she went nuts barking at some evil monster on the drive way - oh no just leaves..... she's nuts:eek:

DSC_1847.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement