Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Zuroph, moving the food back is a good idea, should help.

Crates are metal cages, I used them for both my dogs and it really helps potty training at night, also handy to get them used to confinement for if you need to travel or to keep them safe while doing something.

Use the search function and you'll find loads of threads on it, the pup gets its own little den (i Put a blanket over mine), with a cosy bed. I used to leave mine in the living room and the pups would go in for a snooze.

At the start you don't close the door and just give them a treat in there or something. Gradually you close the door for a few seconds and then longer.

It helps if they are tired.

Crates should be a positive place for the pup, so never put them in as a punishment.
    My older dog loves his so much, when I had to use it to confine the cat when he broke his leg, the dog sulked and would lay beside it giving the cat dirty looks:D
    They also have a time share going on, when dogs get up in mornings, cats get in the nice warm beds.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Moved the food back to 6pm, played with him lots after, did his business twice. Brought him in at 11, back out at 12.30, did a pee then, waited 20 minutes, he.just.sat looking up at me. Put him to bed, only whinged for a few minutes, 7am poop and pee waiting for me. So frustrating after week one went so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Zuroph i would have though he is too small to hold it in all that long. If I were you I would be getting up earlier and waking him as opposed to him waking himself. It is a bit like having a baby getting up every few hours but in the long run it will be well worth the effort.

Crate is essential i think also.

Another thing with ours was that when I would wake up to take them out I brought then straight waay before any shower or anything for myself. Movement upstairs only woke them and then they needed to pee.............so it was literally to get to them first before they realised they needed to go.

Im just surprised he had it left in the tank! Will have to get crate. Will try earlier tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I got a crate from this site: http://www.jebbtools.ie/Category/Dog-crates?gclid=CJmRkbmM-aoCFUeFDgodVScg-w

I got the large one for my year old (tall) staffie cross. You will have to section it off while he is still a puppy. It cost me €35 + €9 next day delivery by nightline. Great buy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

TillyGirl wrote: »
    I got a crate from this site: http://www.jebbtools.ie/Category/Dog-crates?gclid=CJmRkbmM-aoCFUeFDgodVScg-w

I got the large one for my year old (tall) staffie cross. You will have to section it off while he is still a puppy. It cost me €35 + €9 next day delivery by nightline. Great buy!

I'm getting our new one from here - thanks for that link! :D Have to get the old one down and see what he's like in it - last year if he stood up his hair was sticking out the top of the crate :pac:and he's gotten taller now so a new one is definitely on the cards for his crate rest in october!

Picked one up on adverts for €35, collecting it this evening. got the largeat size one from zooplus.
    Have one of those plastic bed baskets with his bedding in it, should I just transfer the whole lot inside the crate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Yes, just pop the lot in.
    For the first few weeks you will have to get up in the middle of the night, midway through his night you need to wake him and bring him out, be very quiet and calm (shouldn't be hard at that hour;)), praise him for going and bring him back in. Same routine as bedtime and he'll settle pretty quick.
    After he reaches about 4 months you can begin to move the time you let him out 20 mins every 5 days or so, until you get to about an hour before normal morning time.
    Its a pain I know, some dogs get control earlier than others, my dog was near 5 months before we were really out of the odd night wake up call. The bitch was 4 months and wouldn't get out of bed for love nor money. At the end of the day they bring you so much joy its worth bags under the eyes for a month or two.

changed his food up slightly today, as groomer felt his coat wasnt great down to food. poor guys tummy is a little upset now. Just took him out for potty, took him 20 minutes to decide to poop. hope he doesnt take that long later when I take him out!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

What food have you got him on? Main thing is to make sure its a large breed puppy food at least, he's gonna be a big boy fully grown and needs the right levels of calcium/phophoros now for his growing bones.

• Advertisement

his orginal owner had him on lidl stuff, so that was no good. I have him on leader large breed puppy now, much better for him, but the changeover has upset his tum a little. he'll get used to it in a day or so I guess. Just means if I dont catch his middle of the night poops tonight, I've got a very bleak clean up ahead of me tomorrow morning!

Beat him to the wake up! 5.45am. Straight for big pee, 10 minutes before poop, tummy still not good, but all outside at least! Back in, settled in 5 minutes, so lets see what 8 am brings

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

SUCCESS! If you can continue to beat him to it, it will cut toilet training time in half.

Just on the food, it's best to mix the old with the new slowly increasing the new so if you have any lidl stuff left mix it in with the new food for the next few days. It should help his stomach.

got his crate, he's not a fan of the noise when he jumps into it, must put something under the tray to deaden the sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

zuroph wrote: »
    got his crate, he's not a fan of the noise when he jumps into it, must put something under the tray to deaden the sound.

Make it fun and enjoyable for him when hes in it, so lots of nice treats, toys, and even feed him in there too for a few times so he associates the crate with something nice.
    You will prob find in a few days/weeks you wont get him out of it:D Most dogs love their crates and love sleeping in them whenever they can.

been getting loads of treats in the crate, but is determined to get out of there asap, and is trying to stand his ground and not go in even when treat is presented. I'm sure he'll get used to it eventually. let him sleep with the door open a few times first anyway.

zuroph wrote: »
    been getting loads of treats in the crate, but is determined to get out of there asap, and is trying to stand his ground and not go in even when treat is presented. I'm sure he'll get used to it eventually. let him sleep with the door open a few times first anyway.

When my guy wouldn't settle last year (he was on crate rest) I took the throw off my bed and put it in and he was knocked out in seconds lol so maybe try something with your scent on it? He'll get used to it as he settles in and see it as his little den.

He's used to it already :p dampened the sound of the tray by putting a newspaper under it, he's hopping in and out happy out now. got up at 6am and beat the toilet break too. :D was wired yesterday, I think from all the treats.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Sounds like he's doing really well. Smart puppy!

When I'm training I use some kibble instead of actual treats. To keep it interesting, I mix it up with some small cubes of cheese and bits from the fridge like chicken or ham. Even bits of carrot can be used. Saves a fortune on treats!

EDIT: I've been recording a video in my kitchen. The first attempt looked fine, but on listening back all you could hear was munching and slurping sounds of Phoe enjoying his brekkie. The second attempt was much better, until in the back ground you can hear a clang then me bursting out laughing. Phoe had fallen asleep with his head on his bowl. He looked soooo cute. It was like a little hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Our little stray is a Maine Coon, well la de da.

She's not drinking a lot though, she won't drink water and I know milk is bad for her. Any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Resi12 wrote: »
    Our little stray is a Maine Coon, well la de da.

She's not drinking a lot though, she won't drink water and I know milk is bad for her. Any suggestions?

How about starting a thread on the topic, there is a whole forum for threads like this. This is the off-topic thread, the only place it isn't appropriate ;)

GAH!!! We were in the park earlier and I saw a dog I haven't seen in months. We used to see him every morning when we walked later in the morning and the park was open - he'd jog around after his owner and would always tolerate my guy asking him to play and being an annoying puppy. He wouldn't play with him but never snapped at him or told him to go away. He's just gotten so old :( he's gone a bit lame and is going grey and is showing his age. It just made me so sad and of course then I started thinking about my guy getting old like that, what will happen with his legs as he gets older etc... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

1. Clear your lawn of dog poo - this lulls you into a false sense of security.

2. Accidentally stand in the one poo that you missed :o

3. Now climb ladder to cut the top of a high hedge. Ensure that as you climb up & down you spread the poo over every rung of the ladder :eek:

4. By now your boots, gloves, trousers & shirt will all have a good smear of poo. Because of the wind direction you will only become aware of it when you come indoors & your dogs won't come near you :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Husband got up this Morning, into the kitchen and said a big sleepy "hello Mopsy" to the dog and got a big "eyyyooooooohhh" back from under the table :eek: Cue a moment of stunned silence followed by raucous laughter from husband and kids :D

I missed this amazing talking dog phenomenon :( and she doesn't seem to want to speak to me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Would some kind person please explain to me how to attach pics embedded in their post? :o Know how to add them as attachments just can't get them to show up in the actual post.

Click the little square icon with mountains on it & enter the direct link code of the pic.

BTW if you are using photobucket it has been incredible slow & unreliable all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Was in a pet store today... there's some work going on in the retail unit next door, loud drilling, banging the whole lot... the poor bearded dragon looked terrified and there was a hole in the glass of his cage too, right in the corner, like he was trying to break free (well he was trying to break free... he was scratching the glass like his life depended on it :( ). Brought it to the attention of a member of staff but they didn't seem to bothered about it...

Discodog wrote: »
    Click the little square icon with mountains on it & enter the direct link code of the pic.

BTW if you are using photobucket it has been incredible slow & unreliable all day.

Thanks, must post in the pet show thread! I do use photobucket, it always seems to be slow for me. :(

Just back from lanzarote, the place is overrun with small white furries, nearly every dog I met was either a maltese, a poodle or a poodle x. Only seen 2 big dogs in the whole week, a yellow lab and a golden retriever, was kind of a a bit confused as to why the craze for small dogs over there, lots of tiny yorkies too. :confused: Within a day though I'd befriended a black and white cat who looked and acted just like my own who continued to visit us everyday! :D Also ended up with bad tonsillitis and talking like mr bean for 3 days, I now appreciate every pain-free mouthful of food like it's my last! :D

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Also ended up with bad tonsillitis and talking like mr bean for 3 days, I now appreciate every pain-free mouthful of food like it's my last! :D

That's what too much drink & romantic nights does for you :p

Be thankful that you don't look like Mr Bean :D

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    That's what too much drink & romantic nights does for you :p

Be thankful that you don't look like Mr Bean :D

:eek:
    mr_beans_fun_05.jpg

I can see a resemblance! :p

Now I can't choose which photo to enter in the pet show thread or which class to enter them in. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement