Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

mymo wrote: »
    Sarannewrap, saw the pic of your two in the boxes, winners for sure!
    Beautiful kitties.
    I'd love to go to, my daughter wanted to go to the dublin one, but not sure if our oldies would like such a long day. Both would love the attention, but neither travel well, dublins a bit far.

Most shows are in Dublin, but there are some in Cork (which was last weekend I think), Limerick (usually in February) and up north a few times a year! Even if you don't bring the cats with you it's usually a good idea to go along and watch just to get an idea of it before you go entering yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Dublin is the nearest to us down here, why none in the southeast?
    We'll get there one day. When is the one you entered on?
    Might sneak up to check those kitties are as cuddly as they look!

Dublin is the nearest to us down here, why none in the southeast?
    We'll get there one day. When is the one you entered on?
    Might sneak up to check those kitties are as cuddly as they look!

It's on the 20th of October I'm pretty sure, in the Maldron in tallaght! I think the 2 big cats are very much looking forward to a break from the Dudester for a night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Had to bring Isabella to the vet again this evening. Poor thing really didn't like it. We thought she had problems with her teeth or something. Turns out that she has a respiratory problem, so she got a shot of antibiotic and we have more to give her in her food to hopefully clear it up. Poor thing. She's getting on, I just want to make sure she's comfortable now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

So sorry to hear that. Fingers and paws crossed for her here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Wowzers... I sent Bailey's thyroid blood test results to this lab in US for interpretation. Replied in 2 hours with their opinion as well as documents with FAQs and studies etc. Amazed by the response from them and confirms my suspicions. I had half of my thyroid and attached mass removed 4 years ago so a bit weirdy that he has a problem too lol!

I didn't manage to pass my repeat OSCE so I still can't call myself a veterinary nurse :( Will be repeating it again next Summer so hopefully it will go okay then! But I did manage to pass biochemistry, so that in itself is an outstanding achievement for me since I failed it 3 times :pac: Does anyone know of any animal related jobs going so I can keep my skills up? :P

Congratulations and boo to OSCE (whatever that is)!

Just got a message from my boss saying it's been confirmed that her 6 month old pup and it's brother both have parvovirus :(
    Both are fully vacc'd too, my two are out about 3 months now so booked them in for boosters tomorrow.
    Poor pups, both in same vets, really sick, hope they pull through, they are adorable, their owners and families would be heart broken.
    Anyone reading in Kilkenny area, they aren't the only ones with it either, seems to be a small outbreak.

tk123 wrote: »
    Wowzers... I sent Bailey's thyroid blood test results to this lab in US for interpretation. Replied in 2 hours with their opinion as well as documents with FAQs and studies etc. Amazed by the response from them and confirms my suspicions. I had half of my thyroid and attached mass removed 4 years ago so a bit weirdy that he has a problem too lol!

:mad: and no response from the vet after mailing the reports etc to them at lunchtime. A bit annoyed - I must have spent €500 with all these blood tests and it looks like their lab has been wrong on both occasions - the pancreatitis thing that had us in tears thinking he was dying and now this!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Congratulations and boo to OSCE (whatever that is)!

Just got a message from my boss saying it's been confirmed that her 6 month old pup and it's brother both have parvovirus :(
    Both are fully vacc'd too, my two are out about 3 months now so booked them in for boosters tomorrow.
    Poor pups, both in same vets, really sick, hope they pull through, they are adorable, their owners and families would be heart broken.
    Anyone reading in Kilkenny area, they aren't the only ones with it either, seems to be a small outbreak.

I've been hearing there's quite a bit of parvo around unfortunately. A dog that went to a major dog show in Darlington in the UK was confirmed, and I did hear of another at the same show, British dogs, but there were a lot of Irish dogs at that show, so let's hope none of them have carried a new strain back here. Very ironic if that happened, with the new rabies and passport rules!

• Advertisement

Thankfully neither went down as bad as you would expect, there was only a trace of blood too, one dog is on day 5 now and she's still with us, her brother is on day two, fingers crossed for the poor babies, they are such sweeties, vet only tested them today.
    Everything is being disinfected around their homes now, scary to think this can happen to fully vacc'd dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'm bringing Poppy in for spaying, microchipping and vaccination in the morning. Dreading getting her into the carrier in the morning. It's a 2 person job getting her into it so she'll have to be in there from 7ish til we get her to the vet at 9:( Hoping she isn't preggers.

I came down this morning and saw bits of chicken slice laying around so my husband gave the 3 chaps some before he left, I wondered why they hadn't eaten it, usually one of them will gobble it. Anyway picked a bit up and had a sniff in case it was off, turns out he'd grabbed my Quorn imitation chicken by mistake:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

:eek::eek:<
    Literally my face 10 minutes ago. Eddie brought home his first "present" this evening....a headless rat. He's totally hyper now. Yuuuuck and there's bits all over my cream rug!!! Beanie was never a hunter, so had forgotten about this lovely cat trait till now.

Wait til you find one on your pillow at bed time!
    (Need a puke smiley)
    I had to change the bedding and threw the pillow out that night!

Wait til you find one on your pillow at bed time!
    Ah stop will ya :o:o

anniehoo wrote: »
    :eek::eek:<
    Literally my face 10 minutes ago. Eddie brought home his first "present" this evening....a headless rat. He's totally hyper now. Yuuuuck and there's bits all over my cream rug!!! Beanie was never a hunter, so had forgotten about this lovely cat trait till now.

Gross!! I'd puke!! There's obviously a fox/badger (or possibly the stray dogs) in work - a dead rabbit on the grass the last few days - gruesome to say the least :(

So we managed to get Poppy in the carrier, really it's a big portable soft dog crate so she's lots of room. Typically she wouldn't have a poop this morning despite us running her around with toys for an hour:rolleyes: She's doing all the mournful meowing and trying to break out of her carrier:(

Typically she wouldn't have a poop this morning despite us running her around with toys for an hour:rolleyes: (

That drives me mad - I like them to have wee'd and poo'd before they get weighted - every gram counts! :p

Yep every gram counts, Felix was 8. something kilos when we brought him in a week or two ago:o Every time he goes to the vet there's a minor domestic over his weight:D Every time I'm hoping he's lost a few pounds but he's always gained some, I really wish people wouldn't feed him, he clearly doesn't need any extra meals and you couldn't think he was a stray.

I've only just sat down, am trying to keep busy til I call the vet at 2.30, at least I got to give her room a good hoover and tidy up. Poor Toby is missing her and got upset with all the meowing she was doing in the carrier for an hour and a half, my husband leaves for work at 7.30 and I wouldn't have been able to get her in myself. He never left the pet gate keeping her company:)

some, I really wish people wouldn't feed him,
    THIS!! I banned everyone from treating Bailey, gave 1/3 less meat and more veg and he lost 2kg. And I still have people giving him treats on the sly :rolleyes: No word from the vet yet..will probably end up taking to the owner at this rate! :mad:

• Advertisement

Exactly, we've cut right down on the amount of wet food that he gets, if they have chicken or fish it's given instead of the pouch of food. We free feed Applaws kibble, but it's one bowl that the 3 boys share. So it's neighbours that are the problem. I think my vet sees me as one of those 'feeders' that enjoy fattening others up:D

Collecting Poppy in half an hour. Vet nurse said when they clipped her fur there was an obvious scar where she'd been spayed, so at least she won't be sore. I don't know why people abandon animals, I'll never understand why.

I think she might have come from a violent home as when we were in the room with her the other night my husband was giving out about something at work and raised his voice when he was telling me about it, well she went nuts and started crying and trying to climb out the tiny gap where the window was left on the latch:(

How in the Hell can an experienced veterinary nurse describe a 3.5 kilo adult female cat as 'FAT'? ffs am furious, just one of several bad experiences today at my vets. Didn't see our usual vet and I'll definitely be speaking to the head chap next week:mad:

You should try my vet, he reckons my lot are puuurrrfect.
    Couldn't believe jake is 12.5 years old, said he wished they were all like him (he's a big softy who purrs no matter what you do), then jake sneezed a big snot on him :D

Bosses dog still very sick, hope she pulls through, poor little baby has the sweetest face.

(I think jake is a bit flabby, Tiffi also needs to loose a bit, but he still said she was fine)

I know the boys are on the large side, especially Felix, but she's tiny. It wasn't just that though, usually my vet practice is excellent but I don't know what the Hell was going on today. I don't really want to say much about it until I speak to the chap who owns the practice next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

My female cat is around 3.5 and perfectly petite. Perhaps the nurse was having a fat day herself? :D

Oops I'm being a bit of a customer from hell atm with my vet - I apologized to the nurse/receptionist earlier since she's the one who always seems to answer when I call! :p

I'm very shocked at that Pumpkinseeds, 3.5kg even on a petite framed adult cat is ok and can be even borderline....very borderline underweight depending on their sex,neutering status and medical history :confused:

**SOB** :p:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

^^^
    ah jaysus tk, me mascara's all over the place!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement