Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temp Clerical Officers in Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭ciaramc

sjms wrote: »
    I am feeling a bit weary now! I had my interview two weeks ago now... I was successful at interview but i have heard nothing? I'm presuming that they do it in dribs and drabs?! Would love to hear back soon! :) anybody else in the same boat?

As am I. I really wanted this job. I applied for the Donegal area and was told I was in the top band for the area. I havent heard anything yet. Getting worried now.

Does anyone think there will be more people called?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭sjms

ciaramc wrote: »
    Does anyone think there will be more people called?

I hope so! But I am sure they will be. I read stuff about the passport office again today so hopefully that will mean a couple more jobs out there?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Fince wrote: »
    I was a TCO last year and one of the other TCO's was able to take a week off, using 3 or 4 days of holiday leave and making up the difference with flexi time. He might have had to take an unpaid day as well.

Just depends on the manager in the particular office you're in.

Like I said, it's only the department I was interviewing for this time that had that restriction. However ultimately when you're allowed to take your holidays is discretionary in any job so it's not totally unreasonable to have that rule.

V480 wrote: »
    In case any former TCO's are wondering why they didn't get selected this time around, apparently it was sort of an unofficial policy this year that they would only pick people who have never worked in the Civil Service.

That would be a bit of a poopy policy wouldn't it? I know people who are in on their 4th and 5th TCO contracts this time round ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 oisim

Hi, thank you for your reply.

i have a problem i applied online so don't have a application form so not sure what you mean by the 3 core areas on the back??

can you help me and if you know what they are?

Thank you again

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭skitzyspider

Monife,

Im starting in the CSO Swords this Monday at 10am...I was just wondering is there much staff parking as Im driving to work and don't want to be stuck looking for a parking space and be late on my first day:o

Thanks in advance:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Monife,

Im starting in the CSO Swords this Monday at 10am...I was just wondering is there much staff parking as Im driving to work and don't want to be stuck looking for a parking space and be late on my first day:o

Thanks in advance:D

Did someone in the CSO not tell you the situation with parking? Well there is a lot of parking but it has been reserved for the people who have been there longer (well since before Christmas, so I have a space thank god). The people who have come in after, the CSO has rented parking spaces in the Europa Academy for them but you need a swipe card. I don't know if they are going to do that with the new lot of people as spaces are limited there too.

I'd say come in a bit earlier and park in the visitors spot, just on the left beside the smoking shelter and then ask whoever is inducting you what the crack is with parking. If you can't park in the visitors spot, then just park anywhere that has CSO written on the parking space and then let the person inducting you know that you have parked there, not everyone is in all the time, with the amount of people working here now, there is bound to be someone on holidays or sick so you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fince

oisim wrote: »
    Hi, thank you for your reply.

i have a problem i applied online so don't have a application form so not sure what you mean by the 3 core areas on the back??

can you help me and if you know what they are?

Thank you again

When you were told you were getting an interview you should have been given a link to a form that you have to fill out for the day of the interview? It has spaces for employment details, education details, etc. at the end (just above where you sign) it lists three areas they'll focus on.

This is what it says.

"The interview will focus on your work and education particularly in relation the following three areas:

Personal Organisation
    It is necessary for Clerical Officers to organise and prioritise their work effectively. This may involve identifying what needs to be done and taking responsibility for ensuring that the work is completed to a high standard and in accordance with the time frame identified. Effective Clerical Officers must ensure that they pay attention to detail, even when completing routine/repetitive tasks and always manage their own time efficiently.

People Skills
    A Clerical Officer has to work well with a wide range of people from different backgrounds. These may include members of the public and other members of the team who will be relying on them to produce good quality work. It is important that a Clerical Officer can listen and understand other people’s viewpoints and can deal with people in a helpful and courteous manner. Effective Clerical Officers will clarify information when required and know when to seek help from others. They also need to be able to communicate orally in a clear and concise manner.

Commitment and Flexibility
    Clerical Officers need to be flexible in their approach to work and be willing to learn new tasks and adapt quickly to new ways of doing things. Effective Clerical Officers will be open and receptive to new information and able to deal with changing demands and different situations/ circumstances. An effective Clerical Officer will use their initiative in suggesting improvements and through their personal commitment and enthusiasm ensure that they follow through on tasks assigned. They will be reliable and dependable and be able to press on with their work without taking too much of their supervisor’s time. "

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 oisim

Thank you very much Fince,

Interview on Wednesday... Fingers crossed...sooo nervous!!

Fince wrote: »
    When you were told you were getting an interview you should have been given a link to a form that you have to fill out for the day of the interview? It has spaces for employment details, education details, etc. at the end (just above where you sign) it lists three areas they'll focus on.

This is what it says.

"The interview will focus on your work and education particularly in relation the following three areas:

Personal Organisation
    It is necessary for Clerical Officers to organise and prioritise their work effectively. This may involve identifying what needs to be done and taking responsibility for ensuring that the work is completed to a high standard and in accordance with the time frame identified. Effective Clerical Officers must ensure that they pay attention to detail, even when completing routine/repetitive tasks and always manage their own time efficiently.

People Skills
    A Clerical Officer has to work well with a wide range of people from different backgrounds. These may include members of the public and other members of the team who will be relying on them to produce good quality work. It is important that a Clerical Officer can listen and understand other people’s viewpoints and can deal with people in a helpful and courteous manner. Effective Clerical Officers will clarify information when required and know when to seek help from others. They also need to be able to communicate orally in a clear and concise manner.

Commitment and Flexibility
    Clerical Officers need to be flexible in their approach to work and be willing to learn new tasks and adapt quickly to new ways of doing things. Effective Clerical Officers will be open and receptive to new information and able to deal with changing demands and different situations/ circumstances. An effective Clerical Officer will use their initiative in suggesting improvements and through their personal commitment and enthusiasm ensure that they follow through on tasks assigned. They will be reliable and dependable and be able to press on with their work without taking too much of their supervisor’s time. "

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thebigmc

Nice one, got the offer for a ten week contract in Dublin over the phone today, happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Scrummage

Has anyone received an offer for the Clare or limerick regions? Most post seem to be for Cork or Dublin. Just wondering?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

I got an email back in March saying I was top in the Mayo region yet not a word back since re an interview. It definitely is by email that they contact you is it? I have checked through all my mails and nothing since!

steph1 wrote: »
    I got an email back in March saying I was top in the Mayo region yet not a word back since re an interview. It definitely is by email that they contact you is it? I have checked through all my mails and nothing since!

Yep they send an email to you with an interview location and time. IF you pass the interview you go on to a panel for any vacancies that arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

I got a phone call today from dublin for an interview tommorrow. Its for the laois/offaly area and i was wondering is that normal? last time my sister worked in this region she had the interview in offaly rather than going to dublin? I wasnt in the top band either but the second group so theres still hope for people!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

I got a call yesterday from TCO, I had received an email about an interview for today. I had found another longer term role in the meantime so did not confirm my attendance. She called me yesterday to see if I was attending, I got the impression that they were experiencing cancellations and no shows and were now ringing around to confirm attendance and offer interviews to others where they had cancellations. I think it is ridiculous that the vast majority of interviews appear to be scheduled for Dublin for everyone from all areas. Last year there were certainly regional interview locations. I think that if they are getting cancellations in Dublin they are trying to fill them with people from all over to get through people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

V480 wrote: »
    In case any former TCO's are wondering why they didn't get selected this time around, apparently it was sort of an unofficial policy this year that they would only pick people who have never worked in the Civil Service.

I haven't heard that, out of the 8 that started with me, 5 have worked as TCO's

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

I had my interview on Tuesday, it seemed to go well, they seemed happy! They were saying they have 240 interviews this week?! :eek:
    How long does it take for them to give you a yay or nay, I've an interview for a full time position in the private sector tomorrow, so hopefully one will be successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

I sent an email the other day and got a reply from them saying that they had conducted interviews for available vacancies in my area (Mayo) and that they hoped to have more interviews in May and I would be contacted if my name came up for interview. Think its a bit of a lottery if you are called or not. Anyway good luck to all who have been called for interviews!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

Mimojo wrote: »
    I got a call yesterday from TCO, I had received an email about an interview for today. I had found another longer term role in the meantime so did not confirm my attendance. She called me yesterday to see if I was attending, I got the impression that they were experiencing cancellations and no shows and were now ringing around to confirm attendance and offer interviews to others where they had cancellations. I think it is ridiculous that the vast majority of interviews appear to be scheduled for Dublin for everyone from all areas. Last year there were certainly regional interview locations. I think that if they are getting cancellations in Dublin they are trying to fill them with people from all over to get through people.

I think it may be due to the fact that budgets have been decimated in the CS and therefore there is no money available to get CS staff to travel from Dublin to regional locations (travel costs, accomodation etc) to conduct the interviews so they are instead they are trying to have most of the interviews in the one place. I know in the department I work in there has been a stop put on staff travelling to the head office in Dublin by car. Its public transport that can only be used.

Got a call yesterday! start in the social welfare office on the 7th of June! yaaay!

sjms wrote: »
    Got a call yesterday! start in the social welfare office on the 7th of June! yaaay!

Congrats! I was successfull at interview 2 weeks ago and have fingers crossed I get a call soon.

• Advertisement

Scrummage wrote: »
    Congrats! I was successfull at interview 2 weeks ago and have fingers crossed I get a call soon.

thanks! yeah! i think you will soon enough! fingers crossed for you!

apparently I will earn more because it's in the social welfare office?? strange?! Anyone have any info on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

You will earn the same as any tco... but if your in social welfare you will earn this money. But is is very rewarding and the day flies.

eastbono wrote: »
    You will earn the same as any tco... but if your in social welfare you will earn this money. But is is very rewarding and the day flies.

Thanks! I am really excited to start now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭paraguay99

im starting in the revenue office in june. what will the job entail? would i be dealing with the public?

What regions did you get your jobs in guys?

She Devil wrote: »
    What regions did you get your jobs in guys?

Mine is in Dublin... ;)

I got the email yesterday to say I was successful at the interview, fingers crossed now for a position soon! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

She Devil wrote: »
    I got the email yesterday to say I was successful at the interview, fingers crossed now for a position soon! :):)

got the same yesterday!! :)

I got my contract today for my TCO role. It says that I have to report to Oisin House, Pearse Street with the following:
    • Birth Certificate
    • Bank Details
    • Passport
    • PPs Number
    • Passport Photo and;
    • P45

The thing is I have a part time job at the weekends and I definitely do not want to give it up for the sake of 8 weeks work. Is this OK to keep going? Or will the expect me to give up this job in order to obtain a P45? I don't get much money from the part time job, roughly the amount of the dole - something I do not want to go on!

I have never been on the dole before and I would much rather be working 7 days a week for 8 weeks than to finish the 8 weeks and have nothing to do?

Does anybody have any advice/information regarding this?

Thanks

• Advertisement

dotsflan wrote: »
    got the same yesterday!! :)

Yay, keep me posted when you hear anything, as will I you!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement