Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

That's a shame, gimmick, I tried it over the weekend after all the positive reviews here and had pretty much the opposite of your experience.

We were greeted and seated almost immediately. The restaurant was packed but the staff made sure every table was tended to promptly. They spotted when we were finished drinks and asked if we wanted another. Chef came out and checked on everyone!

And the food was excellent. I had pad Thai (sounds like a predictable choice but I wanted to compare it to the same dish in other places!) and it was really tasty. I love the tiny dried shrimp!

The bill was brought to the table when requested, all very polite.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I must say I had the same experience Malari - very good, prompt service and tasty food.

Pity you had a bad experience Gimmick. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Hi all. I've recently moved to Cork and I haven't eaten out anywhere yet. My mum is visiting me tomorrow, and I want to bring her out somewhere nice for lunch. It doesn't have to be anywhere fancy, just a nice experience and good food. Any recommendations would be much appreciated. ðŸ˜

I'd also highly recommend The Farmgate - restaurant section. Should be fairly quiet after the weekend too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

I'd also highly recommend The Farmgate - restaurant section. Should be fairly quiet after the weekend too.

Another endorsement from me! You can book a table too.

There's a great menu and it's super cosy particularly on a wet, miserable day like today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I went to Market Lane and Aroi (lunch) over the weekend. Have to exploit the visitors!
    Both were excellent. i got the special in Market Lane - braised lamb with bean stew and samphire. The lamb was a little dry, but the tastes were fantastic. Aroi I got the pineapple fried rice as i was feeling a bit worse for wear, very tasty. My buddy had the pork stir fry and was raving. I also got the Padan Chicken side and it was awesome. Nomnom.
    Just a warning about Aroi, if they warn you it is spicy then it will be bloody spicy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭rob316

gimmick wrote: »
    Some beef effort. Basically some meat on loads of onion and peas.

We were sat waiting to be served for about 20 minutes. Literally standing up to walk out when our order was taken. Luke warm food was with us within 2 minutes. Slow service and fast food is a terrible combo.

Once done we wanted some ice cream. I had to go to the counter to ask anid was told someone would be over. 5 minutes later someone came over. It took another 5-6 minutes for a spoonful of ice cream to arrive.

Asked for the bill and were told to queue at the counter.

Dreadful.

That's terrible and a huge surprise. Ive been 3 times now and anyone I have recommended it to was delighted.

Maybe try it again, or get in contact with the owners and tell them of your experience. They cross me as people who would invite you back and to try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭black_magic

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. Firstly, we went to the Farmgate for a cuppa and something sweet, it was very busy being lunch time, but we got seats looking over the balcony down to the busy shoppers in the english market below. Service was good, and there was a nice selection of treats. A guy started playing the guitar while we were there aswell, it was a lovely atmosphere. Later on, we went into market lane for a late lunch. We both went for the €10 special as we weren't that hungry - soup, half-sambo, mini chocolate pot and tea/coffee. One word - flavours!!! Everything was delicious, service exceptional, it literally ended our day perfectly. We will definitely be returning. Thanks again for the recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Went to this new place for lunch today; Pho. Sadly, thoroughly unimpressed. Decided to go for the pho bo as you'd think that'd be the house special so to speak. Broth was pretty limp in flavour and there wasn't a lot of it, loads of noodles and overcooked beef. Meh. Think they just opened though so may just be teething issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,230 ✭✭✭✭blade1

nerwen wrote: »
    Went to this new place for lunch today; Pho. Sadly, thoroughly unimpressed. Decided to go for the pho bo as you'd think that'd be the house special so to speak. Broth was pretty limp in flavour and there wasn't a lot of it, loads of noodles and overcooked beef. Meh. Think they just opened though so may just be teething issues!

Sounds like you'll be have teething issues after the beef!boom boom!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,027 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

We went to Aroi on Monday night,great food,good service,quick and great value.Cant say a bad word about it.Went to Sultan tonight,woefully average to poor.

• Advertisement

Has anybody been to the Indian takeway in Glanmire - I think its called Star of India? I tried looking it up online but can't find anything on it. It's meant to be lovely from what I've heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I thought the Star of India had closed...

I thought the Star of India had closed...

No, well apparently there is an Indian down there that is meant to be lovely; the person that told me said it was called Star of India, but maybe the name has changed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I pass it every day and never bothered with it tbh, not to sure why.
    I might give it a go over the weekend to see what it's like.

54kroc wrote: »
    I pass it every day and never bothered with it tbh, not to sure why.
    I might give it a go over the weekend to see what it's like.

Is it called Star of India so? And is it just a takeaway or a restaurant also? Weird that they don't have a facebook page/website.

It's only after being taken over this month, just spotted it on line.
    http://www.daft.ie/commercial/6a-hazelwood-shopping-centre-glanmire-cork/185955/?app_dg_choice=site
    I didn't even notice it closing down or opening up again, they should do a bit of local advertising.

leahyl wrote: »
    Is it called Star of India so? And is it just a takeaway or a restaurant also? Weird that they don't have a facebook page/website.

I was thinking of the wrong place, it's the kebab place over on old court in Riverstown.
    Anyway I spotted the signage this evening so I popped in, they don't have any menus up inside yet so just ask for one.
    I got a biryani, Bombay aloo, rice and naan, all were exquisite, I can't fault anything.
    I'm both delighted and disappointed to have this so close though.
    Delighted because this is now my go to take away, disappointed because I've a feeling I'm going to go from pleasantly plump to gigantor pretty soon.

I attached a pic of the menu below.

54kroc wrote: »
    I was thinking of the wrong place, it's the kebab place over on old court in Riverstown.
    Anyway I spotted the signage this evening so I popped in, they don't have any menus up inside yet so just ask for one.
    I got a biryani, Bombay aloo, rice and naan, all were exquisite, I can't fault anything.
    I'm both delighted and disappointed to have this so close though.
    Delighted because this is now my go to take away, disappointed because I've a feeling I'm going to go from pleasantly plump to gigantor pretty soon.

I attached a pic of the menu below.

Yeah I was wondering whether you were thinking of the same place alright!

Aaw thanks for checking it out anyway, even if it was for your own benefit :-P

I only heard from one person that it was lovely so I was a bit sceptical, my favourite Indian is Havelli in Douglas but might give this place a try soon for a change.

This is the place across from the Castle so right?

leahyl wrote: »
    Yeah I was wondering whether you were thinking of the same place alright!

Aaw thanks for checking it out anyway, even if it was for your own benefit :-P

I only heard from one person that it was lovely so I was a bit sceptical, my favourite Indian is Havelli in Douglas but might give this place a try soon for a change.

This is the place across from the Castle so right?

That's the one, it's certainly worth a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

http://westcorktimes.com/home/archives/28864

SIX popular West Cork pubs have retained their listing in the new-look 2015 Michelin ‘Eating Out In Pubs’ Guide just published.

They are Mary Ann’s (Castletownshend), Poacher’s Inn (Bandon), An Súgan and Deasy’s (Clonakilty), Cronin’s (Crosshaven) and Toddies at The Bulman (Kinsale).

Both Deasy’s and Toddies at The Bulman have also secured an Inspector’s Favourite commendation. Twenty-one other pubs from the Republic of Ireland and seven from Northern Ireland also feature in the publication.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

Just back from Pho, Thai/Malaysian restaurant, on Douglas St.
    Nice food, nice staff and reasonable prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Aroi again last night I went to, it really is outstanding in terms of value and quality.

I tried the red duck curry and hands down it was the best curry I have ever had. I found it very spicy but the flavour and creaminess was delicious.

I just love the place I really couldn't say enough good about it. Chef eddie visits your table and you can tell how passionate he is. Service is some of the best you will encounter and the price just tops it off.

Wandered into Rockin' Joe's yesterday, lured in by the offer of a €3 burger.
    I kept on expecting a catch.
    Burger was cooked fresh (and not overcooked).
    Bun was reasonable quality.
    Fresh tomato, lettuce, jalapeños and chilli con carne (didn't read the menu properly - why would anyone want chilli con carne on a burger? )
    There really was no catch - €3.
    Unbelievable value.

I've no doubt that they make it up on sides and drinks but the €3 burger can't be argued with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Went for a 2nd Aroi the weekend, and again I was pretty disappointed.

I got chicken Satay starter and the chicken was pretty poor quality cooked strangely, texture was very mushy.

Also had chicken for the main in thai green curry, again I found the chicken of poor quality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 VapeMasterPro

Went to Nakon Thai in Douglas last night. Not great.

Tasteless frozen springrolls for 5.75 (then again, I've never had a tasty spring roll ever, so maybe spring rolls are all actually ****e)

Prawn "tempura" in regular greasy chip shop batter. Ridiculous.

Pad thai tasted strange but apparently it's normal for the noodles to be slightly undercooked. Girlfriend couldn't finish it.

The highlight of the night: The waitress took my girlfriend's spring rolls away while she was still eating them! The girlfriend was speechless, stuttering probably trying to say "but wait I'm still eating" and the waitress went to take the fork from her hand. The fork still had a spring roll on it! I thought it was ****ing hilarious! It was the strangest thing I've ever seen in a restaurant. I eventually said to the waitress "excuse me but my girlfriend isn't finished that yet" and the waitress replied "oh sorry I'm still in training" and gave her back the springrolls..... how is that an excuse to practically take somebody's food from their gob?

My main was nice - some sort of chicken veg thai mushroom stir fry. Not greasy which is great. Basic enough meal but I was satisfied and I would actually have it again.

Didn't bother with dessert. Girlfriend was too traumatized!

VapeMasterPro - I deleted your original post as it had the same content as this one, except you had added to this post. Leahyl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Oh dear. I'm really sorry VapeMasterPro, but I laughed at your story! :o It must have been awful. Unbelievable behaviour from the waitress...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,230 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Wandered into Rockin' Joe's yesterday, lured in by the offer of a €3 burger.
    I kept on expecting a catch.
    Burger was cooked fresh (and not overcooked).
    Bun was reasonable quality.
    Fresh tomato, lettuce, jalapeños and chilli con carne (didn't read the menu properly - why would anyone want chilli con carne on a burger? )
    There really was no catch - €3.
    Unbelievable value.

I've no doubt that they make it up on sides and drinks but the €3 burger can't be argued with.

Is that the one near the Raven?
    Chilli con carne on a burger?
    I'd give that a go no problem!:pac:

blade1 wrote: »
    Is that the one near the Raven?:

Yup, the old Eddie Rocket's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Hi All - i will be visiting with my boyfriend from Limerick for a weekend soon. I am looking for suggestions for a Saturday night meal - something casual and fun with some drinks but still not a pubby place (if that makes sense) - any food type is ok. We are in our early 30's. We had a good meal in Yamamori in dublin which is the kind of night we want again - relaxed, can get dressed up if we want or dressed down, good food and a good atmosphere where we can still hear ourselves. Also we have an Aroi here so thats out!

Then for sunday night (which might be a tricky night for a good place to be open) something a little more romantic. Again any food type is ok.

I am a veggie, boyfriend is a committed member of the meat-club. Also it needs to be in the city centre so we can leave the car at the hotel!

Hopefully the ever helpful people of Cork can advise! Thanks all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Parchment wrote: »
    Hi All - i will be visiting with my boyfriend from Limerick for a weekend soon. I am looking for suggestions for a Saturday night meal - something casual and fun with some drinks but still not a pubby place (if that makes sense) - any food type is ok. We are in our early 30's. We had a good meal in Yamamori in dublin which is the kind of night we want again - relaxed, can get dressed up if we want or dressed down, good food and a good atmosphere where we can still hear ourselves. Also we have an Aroi here so thats out!

Then for sunday night (which might be a tricky night for a good place to be open) something a little more romantic. Again any food type is ok.

I am a veggie, boyfriend is a committed member of the meat-club. Also it needs to be in the city centre so we can leave the car at the hotel!

Hopefully the ever helpful people of Cork can advise! Thanks all

For saturday casual, I'd suggest cafe Gusto on washington street. (this one does BYOB if you want to pick up something in a wine shop), or Gourmet Burger Bistro, or If you can get a booking... Liberty grill. Yuan ming yuan might be good here as well, it's a nice chinese.

For romantic... I'd think about Huguenots (french), or if your boyfriend can break out of the mould for an evening and risk a fantastic veggie meal, cafe paradiso! Might want to look them up for sunday opening hours.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement