Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭whatever76

ICOS?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

whatever76 wrote: »
    ICOS?
    Eco, Douglas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Oak Fire. Pompeii out of Fran Well.

oak fire is pretty poor imo, only tried it twice ill admit but both times they left stuff out of my order and the pizza itself wasnt that great. la tana is the best pizza in the city by a mile imo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭siblers

ICOS?

Ecos even

• Registered Users Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭rob316

oak fire is pretty poor imo, only tried it twice ill admit but both times they left stuff out of my order and the pizza itself wasnt that great. la tana is the best pizza in the city by a mile imo

Novecento is easily the best. Consistently brilliant, excellent balance of toppings and base.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    Novecento is easily the best. Consistently brilliant, excellent balance of toppings and base.

i do like novecento, probably second on my list tbh (haven't been to the fran well for a while so i cant be sure where they feature in my ranking) but still a bit behind la tana for me

• Registered Users Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭rob316

i do like novecento, probably second on my list tbh (haven't been to the fran well for a while so i cant be sure where they feature in my ranking) but still a bit behind la tana for me

I used to love La Tana but the last couple pizza I got were massively below par. One badly burned base and the other was a mess of toppings just piled on the pizza.

I used to love La Tana but the last couple pizza I got were massively below par. One badly burned base and the other was a mess of toppings just piled on the pizza.

interesting, i suppose i'll have to try a few again soon, strictly for quality review purposes of course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭whatever76

+1 to Novecento ... Tried la tana and was disappointed !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Rfrip

+1 to Novecento ... Tried la tana and was disappointed !

I must try these two as i love oak fire!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭sporina

siblers wrote: »
    Had Ecos at the weekend. Overrpiced muck. 56 euros for 2 mains, 2 starters and a portion of curry. The portion of chips was half a small bag. Won't be going back anytime soon

Had Ecos once - dined in - so overrated ... dishes covered in sauce - that always rings alarm bells for me.. chicken was so tough - and tables so close you wer almost hitting of your neighbours elbows..

Yeah had pizza from La Tana once and gee it was such a mess - toppings just piled on to the base.. twas wet and sloppy - never again... Novecento all the way for me for pizza.. always 100%.. hmm hmm..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Heard mostly negative things about La Tana but then tried a slice that of one that someone had bought, and I thought it was delicious. Italian sausage for the main topping, fairly salty but a LOT of flavour.

Yet to put my money where my mouth is on them though, and I know a lot of other people swear by the place so maybe they're just inconsistent?

Heard mostly negative things about La Tana but then tried a slice that of one that someone had bought, and I thought it was delicious. Italian sausage for the main topping, fairly salty but a LOT of flavour.

Yet to put my money where my mouth is on them though, and I know a lot of other people swear by the place so maybe they're just inconsistent?

When they are good they are amazing, but I've gotten plenty of sloppy pizzas from them too as other people have said. I love their wedges and garlic mayo though.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Novecento is the best pizza I've had in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I had a really nice veggie pizza in Thompson’s when it was open. I also really recommend a pint of their own Nitro Red, it’s like a combination of an ale / stout.really nice. I wish they would do a click n collect service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Had the Sober Lane goujons. Very nice indeed and at €6.50 very generous portions.

Their chips weren't memorable though, and the pineapple and rum cake dessert was only okay.

Would get the goujons again in a heartbeat tho! Anyone had their burgers?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,265 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

When my mrs was pregnant with the second child, we'd have to go there at least once a fortnight! Gorgeous fish and chips, nicer than anywhere i've ever gotten it!

Back on the famous cath of the day in Kinsale.

Agreed the fish can be superb, but the chips are frozen. It's not a patch on the fish basket in clonakilty

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Had the Sober Lane goujons. Very nice indeed and at €6.50 very generous portions.

Their chips weren't memorable though, and the pineapple and rum cake dessert was only okay.

Would get the goujons again in a heartbeat tho! Anyone had their burgers?

Burger was fine. Was a bit messy and it wasn't labelled so didn't know which was which but tasted nice enough

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Debub

on Pizza - we always like Palmento (Douglas) with the Parmesan fries, apart from Novecento

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

When they are good they are amazing, but I've gotten plenty of sloppy pizzas from them too as other people have said. I love their wedges and garlic mayo though.

Yeah, inconsistent isn't much good really.

I still haven't found any to top Pompeii Pizza out the back of the Franciscan Well tbh. Not to say there aren't lovely pizzas elsewhere and the setting may well be playing a part, but it just always hits the spot, does exactly what I'm looking for. Nice relaxed service out in a beer garden with lovely toppings, and fresh. I've never been disappointed by the place or regretted going!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Cotts72

I still haven't found any to top Pompeii Pizza out the back of the Franciscan Well tbh. Not to say there aren't lovely pizzas elsewhere and the setting may well be playing a part, but it just always hits the spot, does exactly what I'm looking for. Nice relaxed service out in a beer garden with lovely toppings, and fresh. I've never been disappointed by the place or regretted going!

Love pompeii pizza, had it few times and was delighted when they'd the pop-up in glanmire last summer!

Oakfire pizza is decent enough also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭RINO87

fin12 wrote: »
    I had a really nice veggie pizza in Thompson’s when it was open. I also really recommend a pint of their own Nitro Red, it’s like a combination of an ale / stout.really nice. I wish they would do a click n collect service.

Didn't know they had a Nitro ale, they're bloody delicious. Haven't really seen any about since Kilkenny was taken out of a lot of places.

I like Pompeii in the Fran Well too - different offering to Novecento though - limited toppings and 14 inch too big for one but great to share.. v tasty though... but Novecento is my No 1 - light but sooo tasty; doesn't feel as unhealthy as others - and their 12 inch is perfect for one (well, me anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

It looks like Novecento is on Just Eat... might just have decided for Friday's takeaway...

It looks like Novecento is on Just Eat... might just have decided for Friday's takeaway...

if ever getting take out pizza I would always collect myself - don't wanna risk it sitting in a van for an hr while going out with other orders.. pizza doesn't reheat well at all - and it wouldn't do it justice... but I know collection is not possible for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

RINO87 wrote: »
    Didn't know they had a Nitro ale, they're bloody delicious. Haven't really seen any about since Kilkenny was taken out of a lot of places.

I didn’t know that was a type of drink but ya the Nitro Red is delicious. I hope they open for takeaway soon

Is Kilkenny a nitro red ale? U can still get cans of that I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

sporina wrote: »
    if ever getting take out pizza I would always collect myself - don't wanna risk it sitting in a van for an hr while going out with other orders.. pizza doesn't reheat well at all - and it wouldn't do it justice... but I know collection is not possible for everyone

No car, and the walk back from Douglas Street in the current weather would definitely result in a cold pizza.

No car, and the walk back from Douglas Street in the current weather would definitely result in a cold pizza.

thats fair enough - well I hope its ok when you get it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭theglobe

sporina wrote: »
    thats fair enough - well I hope its ok when you get it :)

It helps to order on an off peak night. Get your treat on a Monday or Tuesday instead of a Friday if you don't mind too much :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭RINO87

fin12 wrote: »
    I didn’t know that was a type of drink but ya the Nitro Red is delicious. I hope they open for takeaway soon

Is Kilkenny a nitro red ale? U can still get cans of that I think.

it is indeed, but its fairly tame as red ales go, its basically just smithwicks put thru the guinness/nitro line in a pub. In cans the widget has the nitro in it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement