Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Anyone been to the new Japanese place in the old Daly's Centra in Douglas?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

Does anyone here know if jackie lennoxs make their chips from scratch. Looking for a chipper which does this rather than from a frozen packet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

TheChizler wrote: »

Think it's called kubo or something like that.

Been there, very like ramen but much better quality/flavours.
    I've had 3 different dishes there to date, chilli fried rice being my fave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Does anyone here know if jackie lennoxs make their chips from scratch. Looking for a chipper which does this rather than from a frozen packet.

Zicos pizza make their chips from scratch.
    So do dinos I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Lennox do fresh chips but if you want the best the fish wife on mccurtain Street is your only port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,849 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pretty much all the 'chippers" do.
    Fish wife, all Lennoxs, KC' s, Golden fry, Dinos, Looneys, Donnelys etc etc

If they sell things like battered sausages, potato pies and serve peas with fish, you can be pretty sure that they make their chips.

Think it's called kubo or something like that.

Been there, very like ramen but much better quality/flavours.
    I've had 3 different dishes there to date, chilli fried rice being my fave.
    That's what I'm having for dinner so thanks! Just didn't have a clie what it was like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yes. It's a Ramen clone,not japanese, they are very broad asian... From duck spring roll to pad thai.

Ypu, there is a self-serve icecream machine.

Food I had was good, but weird service. staff are basically unmanaged students. When we arroved at the door we were asked if we had a reservation, and were shown to a table, with menus, a wine list etc. No sign of anyone coming back to take an order, so after a while we want up to the counter and ordered. They ask for payment in advance, so back down to the table to get wallet, back up to pay.

Food comes down in takeaway containers. Staff don't know where it is going, so we were asked 4 times by passing people carrying tray of food if it was what we ordered. Loads of staff standing around by the counter having a laugh. I mean loads, there much be ten people there in yellow Shirts.

Decor is nice. Atmosphere lovely, nice and warm, people are friendly. Just that unusual ordering thing that they don't mention at all... And leave you to figure out.

Anyway, i had a prik haem (i'm butcherjng that, sorry , can't remember spelling of it). basically cashew with chillis and prawns. Really good, very tasty.

I'd go back for a takeaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

went to Star Anise early bird after all your recommendations. got crab croquette and steak. was grand, nothing special, was expecting more with all ye raving. good value at €25 though

0H91viym.jpg

1zKwqhxm.jpg

• Advertisement

went to Star Anise early bird after all your recommendations. got crab croquette and steak. was grand, nothing special, was expecting more with all ye raving. good value at €25 though

Which one of those photos is the steak? I should be able to spot a steak on a plate, but there's either a giant wodge of butter, or that is a tiny steak.

Thanks for the review georgiecasey, it's off my list again. shouldn't have even questioned myself. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Wouldn't be inclined to go to Star Anise after seeing that!

Very unprofessional when restaurants do an early bird deal, but instead of getting an actual deal you just get half portions!

Two croquettes? 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

That steak looks terrible. My main was brutal when I was there. Maybe I got early bird too.

That steak looks terrible. My main was brutal when I was there. Maybe I got early bird too.

How does it look terrible?
    It's not really visible.

How was your main brutal?
    Did you send it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Wow that's shocking

pwurple wrote: »

Yes. It's a Ramen clone,not japanese, they are very broad asian... From duck spring roll to pad thai.

Ypu, there is a self-serve icecream machine.

Food I had was good, but weird service. staff are basically unmanaged students. When we arroved at the door we were asked if we had a reservation, and were shown to a table, with menus, a wine list etc. No sign of anyone coming back to take an order, so after a while we want up to the counter and ordered. They ask for payment in advance, so back down to the table to get wallet, back up to pay.

Food comes down in takeaway containers. Staff don't know where it is going, so we were asked 4 times by passing people carrying tray of food if it was what we ordered. Loads of staff standing around by the counter having a laugh. I mean loads, there much be ten people there in yellow Shirts.

Decor is nice. Atmosphere lovely, nice and warm, people are friendly. Just that unusual ordering thing that they don't mention at all... And leave you to figure out.

Anyway, i had a prik haem (i'm butcherjng that, sorry , can't remember spelling of it). basically cashew with chillis and prawns. Really good, very tasty.

I'd go back for a takeaway.
    Was there yesterday night actually! No, it's totally different to Ramen, the self serve ice cream was chocolate, not vanilla, totally different! :D

You're right about the staff, someone needs to whip them into shape. While everyone was very nice they were chatting amongst themselves the whole time and not very attentive. Went up to the till to order, and while there were two staffed tills, the three people there were just chatting away to another customer at the first one. Things were missing from the orders as well, but found within 20 seconds of asking, so again I think it's just lack of attentiveness, which hopefully should be fixed with experience.

That said the food was excellent. I'd say better quality than Ramen (girlfriend could actually see the chicken in her dish) and it was a much wider range, almost too wide as it took me ages to figure out what I wanted. Got duck rolls as a starter and a chargrilled pork dish with lettuce and savoury rice which was incredibly tender and tasty. Starter, two mains, and a drink came to 30 so very happy with the prices as well.

It's not really visible.

Did you send it back?

That steak looks small to me, but it might just be a giant plate. Can we mention the large slice of fridge cold butter on top of what looks like the semi-raw tomato. What's that about?

The spuds, it's a bigger portion than the steak, and it's lashed onto the plate canteen-style, with a big slotted spoon that left a nice dent in it.

C'mere, I love good comfort food, but they are faffing around there with balsamic reduction designs and decorations on a square plate, and then slopping a massive scoop of mash next to a steak so small it's hiding under half a feckin' tomato.

It's graaaand like, you're not going to die from it. But not stand-out fantastic, would recommend to a friend, ya know?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭sporina

I knew I should have left it at the furniture. :D

Naw I meant more students out on a date. Maybe some fella brought me there to impress me long long ago, when I was in college, and I didn't think much of him, and my impression of him rubbed off on the place.

I'll give it another go sometime.
    Are the tables and chairs still crappy?
    That steak looks small to me, but it might just be a giant plate. Can we mention the large slice of fridge cold butter on top of what looks like the semi-raw tomato. What's that about?

The spuds, it's a bigger portion than the steak, and it's lashed onto the plate canteen-style, with a big slotted spoon that left a nice dent in it.

C'mere, I love good comfort food, but they are faffing around there with balsamic reduction designs and decorations on a square plate, and then slopping a massive scoop of mash next to a steak so small it's hiding under half a feckin' tomato.

It's graaaand like, you're not going to die from it. But not stand-out fantastic, would recommend to a friend, ya know?

now now we all know how you judge a restaurant.. lol...

the butter look a bit on the big side otherwise looks grand - and for an early bird to have steak on the menu.. would you get that in many places for that price?

but if you want a la carte, then go for that menu.. all early bird menu's are smaller in comparison to the a la carte

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

well it was nice but not mindblowing. mash was delish. steak was grand, nice and tender. but garlic butter added nothing, i could barely taste it. i'm trying strasbourg goose on my next trip to Cork

well it was nice but not mindblowing. mash was delish. steak was grand, nice and tender. but garlic butter added nothing, i could barely taste it. i'm trying strasbourg goose on my next trip to Cork

Strasbourg goose is very similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

It's not really visible.

Did you send it back?
    I suppose if you have to ask why that main looks decidedly average for a supposed top class Cork restaurant then we have differing opinions on what good food is and it's no surprise we disagree.

"Terrible" was unfair, it doesn't look terrible. I shouldn't have said that. This is probably unfair to them, I'll try it again soon and make up my own mind again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

rob316 wrote: »
    Isn't Sago just the new name of Chilli Padi?
    Just noticed this morning that Sago are opening in Fermoy where Chilli Pad was until recently. Wonder is it the same ownership or was there just a deal done of them taking over existing premises. The premises they have gone into in Fermoy must be cursed, I've seen about 5 different restaurants go in there in the last 10 years and Chilli Pad lasted no time at all!

ncmc wrote: »
    Just noticed this morning that Sago are opening in Fermoy where Chilli Pad was until recently. Wonder is it the same ownership or was there just a deal done of them taking over existing premises. The premises they have gone into in Fermoy must be cursed, I've seen about 5 different restaurants go in there in the last 10 years and Chilli Pad lasted no time at all!

i don't think that they are the same owners.. in any event, I am delighted that they opened in the city - had food from there and it was just super... man it hit the spot.. great quality ingredients.. looking forward to having it again
    I wish them luck in the Fermoy branch

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Had an excellent meal in nosta on Marlboro Street last night. The place was empty which is never a good sign but the food was top notch. I had penne with salmon in a white wine sauce and banoffe pie. my wife had a vegetable pide and tiramisu, clean plates all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Tried Star Anise last night.I had Quail followed by the Duck, O/H had Prawns and Chicken for main course. Quail was underseasoned but otherwise everything else was excellent. Very pleasent and efficent service. €88 including a bottle of wine. By the way that early bird steak was only an 8oz steak so that's the reason it looks small.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Was in Gallaghers for lunch yesterday and it was delicious! Had a toasty on sourdough with chips and salad - lovely honey roast ham (proper ham!) And cheddar with red onion and tomato, the chips were divine and service was very good and friendly. My mum was with me and she had the Orchard thieves cider chicken which was very tasty - I tried a bit! - and potato rosti and roasted veg and a lovely sauce. It was really lovely now, would definitely go back

leahyl wrote: »
    Was in Gallaghers for lunch yesterday and it was delicious! Had a toasty on sourdough with chips and salad - lovely honey roast ham (proper ham!) And cheddar with red onion and tomato, the chips were divine and service was very good and friendly. My mum was with me and she had the Orchard thieves cider chicken which was very tasty - I tried a bit! - and potato rosti and roasted veg and a lovely sauce. It was really lovely now, would definitely go back

that sounds lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

leahyl wrote: »

Sounds very good. Where is Gallagher 's?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

happyday wrote: »
    Sounds very good. Where is Gallagher 's?

It's the gastropub on the corner of Bridge St and McCurtain St

• Advertisement

roundymac wrote: »
    Tried Star Anise
    . By the way that early bird steak was only an 8oz steak so that's the reason it looks small.

I think some people here were expecting a 14oz steak on an early bird menu!

Most restaurants would never have a steak on an early bird menu or if they did there would be a >€5 supplement. I think the option of a small steak on a budget menu is a great idea.

How were the tables and chairs? Did they offend you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement