Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Well I'll hopefully being running 5k next week on 30 min runs, for now the 5k was including a 10 minute walk, the warm up and cool down. I was just a bit worried I was on the slow scale and wouldn't make it to 5k in Week 9, that'd be a bummer after all this!
    I run 5k in 38 minutes and at week 9 still wasn't running 5k. I am back to week 7 and am running 4k.

The word bummer gives it all away you really are competitive :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

Pembily wrote: »
    I run 5k in 38 minutes and at week 9 still wasn't running 5k. I am back to week 7 and am running 4k.

The word bummer gives it all away you really are competitive :P

Ah right grand, I thought I would fail as a human if I didn't do it in the allotted time, that's fine so! :D

Yeah...I'm very competitive, as is my mother, to avoid this we don't ever enter anything competitive with other people, or we get angry and freak out when we don't win :o That's what has kept me going doing this, giving out to myself in my head and thinking of the horror of coming back here any week to say I'd missed a day/failed a run etc.

Ah right grand, I thought I would fail as a human if I didn't do it in the allotted time, that's fine so! :D

Yeah...I'm very competitive, as is my mother, to avoid this we don't ever enter anything competitive with other people, or we get angry and freak out when we don't win :o That's what has kept me going doing this, giving out to myself in my head and thinking of the horror of coming back here any week to say I'd missed a day/failed a run etc.
    You are the same as me! The only thing that got me though the 8k I ran was the failing and having to tell people I didn't complete it.

The sky won't fall in if you can't run 5k in 30 min, you will just keep at it until you do :)

The sky won't fall in if you can't run 5k in 30 min, you will just keep at it until you do :)

More likely that I'd throw a strop and refuse to do it ever again :p

More likely that I'd throw a strop and refuse to do it ever again :p
    You would go back eventually as you like having an ass ;)

• Advertisement

You would go back eventually as you like having an ass ;)

Dammit!! You know me so well! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

I recently started doing couch to 5k. Im using the Zombie Run app for it :o

It showed me how unfit i am. Completed Day 1 today and i was wrecked after it. So im going to keep this up and hopefully loose the weight and learn to run 5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

I wouldn't worry too much about distance, if you're running for 30 mins that is an achievement in itself!

I did couch to 5k twice before. Well the first time I didn't complete it but the second time I did. Don't really remember why I stopped running but I'm hoping to start running regularly again.

Went out this evening for the first time in ages and was able to jog (really really slowly) for about 20 mins. Shocked that I was able to do it! But relieved that I'm not back to square one again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭doriansmith

Hello! First time posting here. I've had notions about getting into running for a long time, I usually start off all motivated and after about a week I stop. Determined to do it properly this time and I have the added incentive of getting married in a few months & wanting to look awesome :P

I tried C25k a couple of years ago but tbh it didn't really suit me, I find it easiest to just start running and keep going until I need to stop & not think about how far/long I've to run for. This evening I did a 4.8k route from my house. Walked for roughly the first and last few hundred metres & jogged the rest. Did it in 35 minutes so I'm pretty slow but hoping to build up to doing 5k in less than 30 mins, and then after that start building on my distances :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Bought a skirt in November which has been sitting in my wardrobe since - while it zipped up, I had to wear it high on my waist which made it far too short for work.

Came across it this morning and tried it on, and it now fits perfectly! I knew I'd lost a few lbs on the scales but delighted to have confirmation through my clothes. I love running. :)

• Advertisement

I forgot I signed up to do a 5k run on Friday. Need to up my training... Getting my new runners today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 my username

Hi all, just finished w5d3 today. When I did week 4 last week I found the 5 min runs really hard, but on w5d2 I found the 8 min runs quite easy. Today I did 2.68km in the 20 min run. Was quite tired but could have done maybe 5 mins more. Anyway, I had signed up for a 5k next Friday but considering what I'm doing in 20mins at the moment I'm wondering if I should bother. Has anyone gone straight from running around 2.5k to doing a 5k? Or is it a bad idea to do the race on Friday?

^^ I went from about 3k on my own to a 5k run, you'll be able and the people around will support you. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Hi all, just finished w5d3 today. When I did week 4 last week I found the 5 min runs really hard, but on w5d2 I found the 8 min runs quite easy. Today I did 2.68km in the 20 min run. Was quite tired but could have done maybe 5 mins more. Anyway, I had signed up for a 5k next Friday but considering what I'm doing in 20mins at the moment I'm wondering if I should bother. Has anyone gone straight from running around 2.5k to doing a 5k? Or is it a bad idea to do the race on Friday?

Not a bad idea at all - I'd go for it. I'm doing the Great Ireland Run in three weeks and that'll be my first time to run 10k.

For Friday, start off easy and run as far as you can. Then if you need to, take a short walking break, get your breath back and start to run again. The atmosphere on the day will also carry you further than you think you're able for.

W8D3 done. Can't believe I'm one of those crazy people I always saw out running in a vest top when it's freezing out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

W8D3 done. Can't believe I'm one of those crazy people I always saw out running in a vest top when it's freezing out!

I know, I used to think those people were a different species! Plus I was up this past Saturday morning at 8am, getting a run in.
    We've been assimilated, CC!

quaalude wrote: »
    I know, I used to think those people were a different species! Plus I was up this past Saturday morning at 8am, getting a run in.
    We've been assimilated, CC!
    I thought people who run were a bit cracked, I recently ran one evening, in the snow, runners are cracked - we are proof :pac:

I got my new runners, trying them out tonight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭doriansmith

I just ran in (very light) snow, not something I ever saw myself doing!

And I'm very proud of myself cos I ran 5k without stopping for the first time ever :) I did it in 34.03 so I've a bit of work to do to get to 5k in 30 minutes, but hopefully that'll come with time. Only part I found difficult was that my ankles got quite sore after a while but the pain went away as soon as I finished. My ears are burning now, it's damn cold out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I'm going to start following the plan. A couple of weeks ago I thought it would be a great idea to get fit and went for a jog and totally over did it. I was a bit stiff the next day but the day after I could hardly move. It took me a good few days to recover :rolleyes: Lesson learned, slow and steady wins the race (or at least builds up proper stamina to attempt a race :pac:).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Hey guys. Have a feeling I'm about to miss a couple of runs due to flu. Just wondering what's the best way to start off again? Do I continue as I was or ease back in? I'm meant to be doing W4 D2 today.

• Advertisement

Hey guys. Have a feeling I'm about to miss a couple of runs due to flu. Just wondering what's the best way to start off again? Do I continue as I was or ease back in? I'm meant to be doing W4 D2 today.
    Try W4D1, you will be surprised how your fitness has held, but if you need to just go back to W3. Good luck.

My new runners, are not only so so so shiny but also so so comfy! Brooks runners ROCK!

Got a delivery from Elverys.ie today, new super light running jacket (only had walking jacket til now, roasting), new sports bra, new arm holder for phone, new running top, new new new! :D Can't wait to use them, running will be so much easier without my jacket, and because I have my new sports bra and cute t shirt I'll feel a lot more like I look like I know what I'm doing :)

A relative of mine has run for years and years, I was telling her last night that I can now run 28 minutes and am confident that the 30 mins of Week 9 will be fine, she was VERY impressed, she knows how lazy I was just a couple of months ago :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Finished week 4 today but found it so tough. Any advice? Should I go back a week or just keep going? Found it so much tougher than other weeks. I really need a better pair of runners too.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ultra_other

Finished week 4 today but found it so tough. Any advice?

For me if I was not happy with a week or one of the days I would repeat it until I was happy to move on. So I would end up doing 4 or 5 days in the week, until I was happy.
    So maybe try repeating an extra day or 2 and maybe leave an extra day or 2 off to recover between runs
    I really need a better pair of runners too.
    Try gait analysis to see which runners suit you as it can make a difference, do a serch on line for a place near you that do it and read what people recommend

Yeah PP definitely get new runners if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Finished week 4 today but found it so tough. Any advice? Should I go back a week or just keep going? Found it so much tougher than other weeks. I really need a better pair of runners too.

I found a week in the middle very hard, perhaps W4 or W5, and I was going to repeat the week, but I thought I'd just try the D1 of the next week and actually, it was fine.
    So perhaps try W5 D1?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ashes79

Hi I'm on week six at the moment and have to say I found week five the hardest. I was tempted to seem it but moved on and was surprised how ok I found week five. Am starting to really enjoy the running now which I never expected to happen. + trying to edit on my phone not working too well I meant I found week four hardest!

My run was cancelled :( Gonna go out myself tomorrow instead.

PP try the next week and if you can't do it step back a week.

W9 D1 done. Once I get over the first 8ish mins where I want to die it's fine. I covered 5.9km altogether, 4.5km of that was the actual run itself, the girl on the podcast kept saying well done you've completed your first 5k run...not strictly true though was it??

My knees hurt a bit, a sort of locking they used to do when I had a growth spurt as a teenager, I think it's just because I haven't been doing it every 2nd/3rd day the last two weeks, it's 6 days since my last run shamefully (was busy, and the cold made me lazy!).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

I ran my first 20 mins today using this app. I cannot believe I managed to run that long without stopping. I was always looking at today's run as my nemesis wondering how the hell I was going to do it. Now I can confidently see myself completing the whole thing with ease. This is coming from someone who did zero exercise before starting the app 5 weeks ago. Im so thrilled.:)

Advertisement