Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ultra_other

After several months of not running 5K, doing other types of training, I went out yesterday and ran 5K, still taking longer than the 30 minutes to run but knocked 1 minute off my PB, shattered after it but felt good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

Just did W8D1. The 28 min run wasn't a problem in itself, but the fact that my thighs ached from doing my first day of 30 Day Shred yesterday was a nightmare. At the halfway mark I genuinely considered giving up, but I told myself that A. I'd still have to walk home from where I was and B. For the sake of the next 14 minutes I was willing to put myself back 2 days having to repeat it.

I think I'm dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

CC I feel your pain. Well done on finishing. You're determined like me :)

I'm getting new runners, it's sad how excited this is making me :o

Pembily wrote: »
    CC I feel your pain. Well done on finishing. You're determined like me :)

I'm getting new runners, it's sad how excited this is making me :o

My boyfriend said he knew I'd get this far because I'm too stubborn to back down :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I started again today. I had stopped, for what seems like a very silly reason, but my earphones kept on falling out, I'd miss instructions and get very annoyed, I'd end up coming home feeling tired, in bad form and with no idea whether I had been right or not. So I got a set of old fashioned headphones. :D

We were in the gym, so I used the treadmill. It's much better on the treadmill! I felt more motivated having the time right there in front of me, when I was struggling I could glance at the clock and tell myself - only 30 more seconds. It might have been easier because I wasn't up against gradient, weather or other people. I think I went harder than I would have had I been on the road, I chose my pace during the first brisk walk and jog, and made myself stick with it. I'm sure I would have slowed down without even realising it had I been anywhere else! I'm not a gym member, I was using my husbands guest pass, but I'm going to try to get there for the first day of each new week to keep myself motivated.

I then went on to do some work on the machines and had a bobble around the pool, a sauna and a steam. Feeling great now!

• Advertisement

Ladies - and particularly booby ladies - I need advice.

I was all set to buy the Panache sports bra, but now Elverys have Shock Absorber bra reduced, it's €20 less than the Panache one. I'm 34D-DD depending on the bra btw. Should I stick with the Panache one, or take the cheaper deal and go with Shock Absorber?

Rainbow Kirby you're a fan of the Panache one aren't you? I don't think the Shock Absorber one feels like it would be any good but everyone raves about it, I prefer the sturdy nature of the Panache one. I just want as little movement as possible, nothing looks worse than someone running and their chest trying to run in a different direction!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Ladies ...

I'm a fan of the shock absorber running one, suits me pretty well (I've worn it in a DD, D and C - perils of weight loss, keep having to buy new ones, at some cost). I particularly like the clip between the shoulder blades, makes it easier to get on and off than some of the other contraptions out there! I would say try each of them on and have a bit of a bounce in the changing room - see which feels better.

I'm a fan of the shock absorber running one, suits me pretty well (I've worn it in a DD, D and C - perils of weight loss, keep having to buy new ones, at some cost). I particularly like the clip between the shoulder blades, makes it easier to get on and off than some of the other contraptions out there! I would say try each of them on and have a bit of a bounce in the changing room - see which feels better.

Thanks, but Elverys don't have my size in store in the Panache one, was going ordering online. Won't get a chance to go anywhere to try any on anytime soon.

Edit: They actually only had my size in the Shock Absorber White out of all the bras, so I went with that one. Also got a lovely lightweight jacket, new running t shirt, arm holder thingy, fun :)

My boyfriend said he knew I'd get this far because I'm too stubborn to back down :P
    HAHAHA, what are we like?

I am still runner shopping :o Looking at Brooks and Asics. I have Kayanos and not sure. Does anyone have a pair of Brooks?

Also recently got a HRM and it said 400kcal for a 4k run over 35 min - not sure it's right. It also gave random readings for two cycles - higher for a shorter spin :confused::confused::confused: Does anyone use a HRM?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've had a pair of Brooks since Feb 2011. Didn't like the feel or fit of the Asics I tried, but go with whatever works for you.

• Advertisement

I've had a pair of Brooks since Feb 2011. Didn't like the feel or fit of the Asics I tried, but go with whatever works for you.
    Thanks :) My Asics are 3.5 years old :o Gonna try on a pair of Brooks and see how I feel. I wear orthotics so that might have a bearing on what ones I go for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I have Brooks Ravenna 3 and I love them. I'm not really an Asics fan, but different shoes suit different feet.

Can you get to Ambhibian King in Bray? They're great for gait analysis.

vitani wrote: »
    I have Brooks Ravenna 3 and I love them. I'm not really an Asics fan, but different shoes suit different feet.

Can you get to Ambhibian King in Bray? They're great for gait analysis.
    How much do they charge for the analysis? I might pop down once I don't have to buy from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Is gait analysis not usually free? I presumed it was free - it always has been for me.
    The analysis is free in Elvery's. I got it done there the first time and I matched two shoes, Aasics and New Balance. The New Balance were on sale for €20 or €30 less and the sales guy talked me into getting them. They felt the same on, but I already Aasics and was reluctant to change.
    Last time, I went to the fancy running shop in Liffey Valley (I forget the name, but they also sell cycling gear. You'd probably love it :)). The analysis was free but the shoes I ended up with were dearer, about €100. They're really great though so I'm happy with my purchase.

Hermione* wrote: »
    Is gait analysis not usually free? I presumed it was free - it always has been for me.
    The analysis is free in Elvery's. I got it done there the first time and I matched two shoes, Aasics and New Balance. The New Balance were on sale for €20 or €30 less and the sales guy talked me into getting them. They felt the same on, but I already Aasics and was reluctant to change.
    Last time, I went to the fancy running shop in Liffey Valley (I forget the name, but they also sell cycling gear. You'd probably love it :)). The analysis was free but the shoes I ended up with were dearer, about €100. They're really great though so I'm happy with my purchase.
    Thanks for the info :)

Some places charge and I am reluctant to pay as I have paid for it with the orthotics I wear. I am going to pop into Runners Need in Dundrum as they do it and have some good reviews and depending on how I get on I might pop to Amphiban King.

I don't need any more cycling gear, still drooling over my shiny new bike :o

Elvery's do free gait analysis and will make up the insoles for you for free with no obligation to buy them, you just have to try them.

I got Nike runners, €70, they're pretty, *very* lightweight, very comfortable, delighted with them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Runways on Parnell St. is where I bought mine - a charge for gait analysis wasn't mentioned, maybe it was built into the cost. Don't know if they would have said anything had I politely said no thanks re all the pairs I tried.

Anyone else get emails from online fitness places where you've bought gear and delete them without reading? Not bothering to unsubscribe in case I end up something of interest pops up. :pac:

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Runworx/Wheelworx was probably the one around Liffey Valley. I don't go there too often because it has a very bad habit of levering my wallet open for shiny new running and cycling gear! :pac:

Last time I had gait analysis done it was at Amphibian King at Base2Race in Ballymount. Great store out there, but another one that is dangerous to my wallet! I've been in the Asics 2170 for around a year, haven't tried the newer model yet because I've still got a decent bit left on my last pair of them. Was never a fan of Brooks shoes - always found them slightly too wide and I am between half sizes on them (a size 7 1/4 would be ideal for me, a 7 is too small and a 7.5 too big!).

Cerulean Chicken - if you find the Shock Absorber comfortable then go with it, even better if there's a discount on it! The Panache one is more supportive overall, and I also find it more comfortable, but I would also be bigger again up top (30GG/H) and Shock Absorber's designs don't work quite so well in that range.

If Brooks are wide fitting I'll give them a go as I've wide feet. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

How much do they charge for the analysis? I might pop down once I don't have to buy from there.

Sorry, just seeing this now! Gait analysis should be free and they can't force you to buy from them, but I suppose for courtesy's sake, you could always give them a call and ask about it in advance.

It's in their interest to help you out, even if you don't buy there that day, as good customer service and word-of-mouth will drive sales down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I just signed up to do a 5.25k run on April 20th.

:eek:

Currently I can manage 3.5k in about 25mins, which I know is not great but is a start. So rather than doing the c25k perfectly, I'm thinking of skipping the rest days if I don't feel too bad. I'm also considering picking a 5k route from my house and doing it as fast as I can in a combination of walking and jogging and just trying to improve my time each time.

Any thoughts on this? Good idea or terrible idea?

We also have to get the dog into training, although I think they'll find it much easier than I will!

The combination of walking and jogging is a good idea - maybe try a set 4-5 min jog, 1 min walk routine for the distance while you train for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭msbusterpuss

Just re the gait analysis - I was having awful trouble with my left leg when i got further up into the longer runs of couch to 5k so i googled gait analysis and didnt like what i read on elverys, but amphibian king kept popping up, so went out there about 2 weeks ago. I could not have had a better experience, they spent so much time with me, tried on different runners and the guy there gave me a few exercises to do to help me. I got brooks runners in the end and the difference is unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Having completed the Operation Transformation 5K in a time of 28:47 (ran 2.5K then walked 0.5K then ran 2.0K) I decided to start the couch to 5K programme.

Completed W1 D2 last night and the app I used said my total distance was 3.95km with an average run pace of 05:34 mins / km. Is this good / bad ? I want to focus on speed as well as stamina.

Oh and in an effort to lose a bit of weight today is the start of my carb free diet yay \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I'm a C25K drop out-tried it a few times but always got sick or busy or found some reason to stop :o It's a shame cause it's a brilliant programme and certainly made me realise I'd the capabilities to run.

Anyway I ended up taking up running again a month ago for stress relief from college and just kept at it. Today I completed my first ever 5k run :D:D:D All credit to the C25K, without it I never would have even thought I could run!

I feel like I'm going slower than other people on here, today on the treadmill I was doing 6-6.5 mins/kim, that's probably bad is it? I'm not too fussed, I know I'm not dossing doing it, I go as fast as I can. Considering I couldn't even run at all 8 weeks ago it's all good! So my news for today, which probably pales into comparison to other people is:

I passed 5k on the treadmill :D This included the warm up and cool down, but by the time the run finished I was at 4.5k, so very happy with that now. I find running for that long on the treadmill very boring but wanted to see actual distance and speed, which I can't check when running outside because I don't have a fancy phone that has apps etc :)

Delighted with that now anyway :)

I feel like I'm going slower than other people on here, today on the treadmill I was doing 6-6.5 mins/kim, that's probably bad is it?
    Well that's pretty much my easy run pace when running outdoors and I started running 5 years ago...

Well that's pretty much my easy run pace when running outdoors and I started running 5 years ago...

Ok, so I'm not doing too bad? :o I'm pretty much on target for doing 5k in week 9, but I just feel I'm running slow, I dunno. Thanks :) I found today (W8D2) very tough going, think I was just lacking energy after a lazy weekend.

Ok, so I'm not doing too bad? :o I'm pretty much on target for doing 5k in week 9, but I just feel I'm running slow, I dunno. Thanks :) I found today (W8D2) very tough going, think I was just lacking energy after a lazy weekend.
    You are running 5k, that's 5,000,000mm. No part of that is bad, not one eentsyteensy bit. Once I can run 5k I don't care what pace I run at.

• Advertisement

You are running 5k, that's 5,000,000mm. No part of that is bad, not one eentsyteensy bit. Once I can run 5k I don't care what pace I run at.

Well I'll hopefully being running 5k next week on 30 min runs, for now the 5k was including a 10 minute walk, the warm up and cool down. I was just a bit worried I was on the slow scale and wouldn't make it to 5k in Week 9, that'd be a bummer after all this!

Advertisement