Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

I like the long runs, but at the same time I feel I now have no challenge to get me out every second day, maybe the 10k one but my boyfriend is kinda doing that at the mo and it's an hour long isn't it, gah!

Yeah I could break it up in the gym but I like to run outside mostly, which hopefully would keep me more interested. There's a 4.5km route that I used to walk last summer, so I'd like to run it now and better my time the more I do it.

Wow, 15km! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I like the long runs, but at the same time I feel I now have no challenge to get me out every second day, maybe the 10k one but my boyfriend is kinda doing that at the mo and it's an hour long isn't it, gah!

Yeah I could break it up in the gym but I like to run outside mostly, which hopefully would keep me more interested. There's a 4.5km route that I used to walk last summer, so I'd like to run it now and better my time the more I do it.

Have competitions with yourself! Knock a minute off your time each week for 5 weeks...:D

Lucyfur wrote: »
    Have competitions with yourself! Knock a minute off your time each week for 5 weeks...:D

Yeah that's what I think I'll do! I used to do that walking, and then realised the only way to shorten the time was to jog! So I had started doing that late last year, and this was I suppose the natural progression. It's a one way route (boyfriend has to collect me at the other end :p) so I haven't done it since I started c25k.

And keep thinking of your rounder bum and flatter stomach :D That's the best motivation :D

And keep thinking of your rounder bum and flatter stomach :D That's the best motivation :D

My flatter stomach didn't look as flat today in the gym, gutted!! That'll be the icecream last night lol :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Yeah I could break it up in the gym but I like to run outside mostly, which hopefully would keep me more interested. There's a 4.5km route that I usjied to walk last summer, so I'd like to run it now and better my time the more I do it.

Have you thought about signing up for a race?

vitani wrote: »
    Have you thought about signing up for a race?

Nope. I'm not a race type of person, just like my boyfriend, I'm too competitive, would be disappointed with myself no matter how I did. And as soon as I'd know I have to train/practice I wouldn't want to. I'd want a race on my doorstep too and there definitely won't be any that close to me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ck24

Hi folks, I'm a long time ladies longer lurker but first time poster. I recently started running and can now (as of yesterday) do 5K without stopping which should be a big achievement for me since it was an goal I had for so long. However I was totally disheartened because it took my 37.5 minutes which is way longer then I had hoped :( I'm using the RunKeeper app and it recorded my run as 7.5 mins per km.

I'm running my first ever race in a couple of months and its an 8k. If I keep running at my current pace it'll take me and hour to complete the 8k, and based on last years times for that race it means I'll be the last one to the finishing line :o

So I've two goals 1. to be able to run 8k without stopping and 2. to be able to do it at a reasonable time (around 45mins or under :P).

I'm hoping one of you wise women (and men) can give me some tips on how to improve my time. And also would you recommend that I try to improve my time doing 5k before I start upping my distance or start trying to run the 8k and then start looking at improving my time?

And one last question on sports bras; I'm a D cup and I use the crop top type of shockabsorber but it doesn't give me complete support. Do any of you recommend the cone shaped type of sports bra and think they're better than the crop top type ones? I don't have a load of money to spend on a sports bra but if people thought they were better I'd make an investment.

Sorry for the long post!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

ck24 wrote: »
    Hi folks, I'm a long time ladies longer lurker but first time poster. I recently started running and can now (as of yesterday) do 5K without stopping which should be a big achievement for me since it was an goal I had for so long. However I was totally disheartened because it took my 37.5 minutes which is way longer then I had hoped :( I'm using the RunKeeper app and it recorded my run as 7.5 mins per km.

I'm running my first ever race in a couple of months and its an 8k. If I keep running at my current pace it'll take me and hour to complete the 8k, and based on last years times for that race it means I'll be the last one to the finishing line :o

So I've two goals 1. to be able to run 8k without stopping and 2. to be able to do it at a reasonable time (around 45mins or under :P).

I'm hoping one of you wise women (and men) can give me some tips on how to improve my time. And also would you recommend that I try to improve my time doing 5k before I start upping my distance or start trying to run the 8k and then start looking at improving my time?

And one last question on sports bras; I'm a D cup and I use the crop top type of shockabsorber but it doesn't give me complete support. Do any of you recommend the cone shaped type of sports bra and think they're better than the crop top type ones? I don't have a load of money to spend on a sports bra but if people thought they were better I'd make an investment.

Sorry for the long post!
    Firstly - the best answer I can give you to the first question is to run more! Slowly build your mileage and you will naturally see some speed improvements. Check out the Hal Higdon 10k plan for training for your 8k, it's a very natural distance progression for people who can run 5km.

On sports bras - the cone Shock Absorber bra (N109) is better than the crop top one (B4490), that said if you can get your hands on the Panache underwired one then it is a lot better - bit of an investment at €50-ish but well worth it. It may be worth getting properly fitted (Bramora/Peaches and Cream/Arnotts etc) too - if your band is too big and cup too small you'll never get the support you need.

Firstly - the best answer I can give you to the first question is to run more! Slowly build your mileage and you will naturally see some speed improvements. Check out the Hal Higdon 10k plan for training for your 8k, it's a very natural distance progression for people who can run 5km.

On sports bras - the cone Shock Absorber bra (N109) is better than the crop top one (B4490), that said if you can get your hands on the Panache underwired one then it is a lot better - bit of an investment at €50-ish but well worth it. It may be worth getting properly fitted (Bramora/Peaches and Cream/Arnotts etc) too - if your band is too big and cup too small you'll never get the support you need.

Hi thanks a million for that. The 10k plan is exactly what I need, I'll look into getting Hal Higdon plans. I assume its a podcast I get on itunes?

Getting measured for the sports bra is definitely something I need to do before I invest 50 quid in it. I'll try out that Panache one, it sounds good :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The plan is available here - I don't think there's an app for it but I may be wrong. I used it years ago to train for my first 10k and found it to be at pretty much exactly the right level for one who has completed Couch to 5k but not necessarily gone much further.

ck24 wrote: »

Sorry for the long post!

If you still have a couple of months before the 8k, then that's loads of time! I had a quick check back on my C25k app, and my 'comfortable' pace a month ago was at least 30 seconds per mile slower than my 'comfortable' pace is now.

Now you're at 5k, being able to run the 8k will happen really quickly and the more you run, the quicker you'll naturally get.

Thanks for the link to the 10k plan :)
    If you still have a couple of months before the 8k, then that's loads of time! I had a quick check back on my C25k app, and my 'comfortable' pace a month ago was at least 30 seconds per mile slower than my 'comfortable' pace is now.

Now, you're at 5k, being able to run the 8k will happen really quickly and the more you run, the quicker you'll naturally get.

Thanks for the encouragement! It gives me hope. While I'm out there killing myself trying improve my time I'll just fantasise about leaving them all for dust during my race :D

I got comfortable with running 5k and then just started upping the distance myself. I love setting myself little weekly targets, improving my pace and distance, beating my previous times :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Jaysus, I can already feel myself stiffening up. I've never felt stiff the night of exercising before. It's always taken until the morning after. I haven't done any exercise in a while but I did do the five minute brisk walk warm up before setting off at a jog.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Jaysus, I can already feel myself stiffening up. I've never felt stiff the night of exercising before. It's always taken until the morning after. I haven't done any exercise in a while but I did do the five minute brisk walk warm up before setting off at a jog.

Are you stretching afterwards? I know if I don't the backs of my legs tighten up something awful.

It's the most beautiful day for a run out there today, I hope everyone's taking advantage ;). Ran 12km for the first time today, out around Dalkey and Killiney (breathtaking views) and enjoyed every minute of it.

It's the most beautiful day for a run out there today, I hope everyone's taking advantage ;). Ran 12km for the first time today, out around Dalkey and Killiney (breathtaking views) and enjoyed every minute of it.

It's grey and cold here, and I am nowhere near breathtaking views, swapsies?? :D

Did W7D1 this morning. It was pretty tough. I did it outside rather than on a treadmill where I did the last two days, such a difference! That feckin hill halfway through the route is cruel, I made it up it but it takes it out of me. My legs were like lead from the very start, don't know what was wrong with me. It was possibly quite soon for my poor still shocked body to do it after doing W6D3 on Friday afternoon! And I hadn't eaten anything, and haven't eaten much of the good for the last few days (mouth ulcer means ice cream and boiled eggs have been my main sustenance).

So anyways, I'm still quite proud I did it. I jogged the entire route that I used to walk, that's mad. I ran out of space and had to double back at the end, I covered 4.4km! Madness! I thought I was moving quite slowly but maybe not.

I did W1D2 a few hours ago. I'm a little stiff again but it's not as bad. I was disappointed in that I did the same distance as W1D1 almost exactly. Looking at the data though I ran faster, but walked slower. I guess that's better, although I'm sure someone big up on fitness could give me the reality of it. I was slightly pleased though that unlike yesterday two of my runs coincided with an incline. I definitely feel I pushed myself more today. Although I have no idea how I'm going to manage week two if after 50 seconds I'm checking the timer to see how long I have left on that interval.

Come payday though I really need to get some better earphones. I think I spend about a third of my time running flailing around trying to get them back in my ears.

It's only your second day!! You've bucket loads of time for improving speed and pace!! Just focus on finishing each run for now :)

• Advertisement

It's only your second day!! You've bucket loads of time for improving speed and pace!! Just focus on finishing each run for now :)

I know. :)

BUT STATS! :pac:

I don't know about anyone else, but is it normal to be completely ravenous within half an hour of finishing the run. I had quite a big breakfast, a good few mushrooms, three rashers and two eggs. And I had the three rashers and two eggs an hour before the run on Friday and I was starving after that run too.

I always run on an empty stomach. Works better for me. I feel sluggish if I eat beforehand. But yeah, I'm starving afterwards

Yeah Lyaiera I think most people just try to survive the first week, never mind having time to worry about pace and distance!

I always run on an empty stomach. Works better for me. I feel sluggish if I eat beforehand. But yeah, I'm starving afterwards

For some reason I thought it was a bad idea not to exercise on an empty stomach. I left it an hour after finishing eating on Friday and I don't think I noticed any effect. It was a good few hours after I ate that I exercised today.

I just had some nuts and am drinking some sugary tea and I feel less famished now. Not hungry at all really.

I've tried eating a while beforehand but even just a small banana makes me feel ill while running. I find I have much more energy running on empty. But I'm a bit weird anyway :P

I think what's perfect for me is half a banana about an hour before I go. Breakfast or any other meal is too big, and while I'm ok on an empty stomach I prefer to have had something tiny, even a cup of tea, so I'm not eating the front door as I open it :p

Lads my legs were in bits today! I had to sit for a good hour and they were hurting, aching, ouchies. I did the 5 min cool down and stretches, it just took a while to recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

I did the C25K last year and after twisting my ankle it kind of petered out at week 7/8 so I'm back, this time starting at week 4. I did a week or two of going for jogs but I find the structure of C25k is better for me as I'm a terrible slacker. :o Did W4D2 and it was fine, feel good about it.

What I really want from this is to get to 5k and continue to run 5k a few times a week as I don't do any other exercise. I never got addicted to running or really enjoyed it and I'm really hoping that I get to the stage where it's not a chore but I actually want to do it!

I did W1D2 a few hours ago. I'm a little stiff again but it's not as bad. I was disappointed in that I did the same distance as W1D1 almost exactly. Looking at the data though I ran faster, but walked slower. I guess that's better, although I'm sure someone big up on fitness could give me the reality of it. I was slightly pleased though that unlike yesterday two of my runs coincided with an incline. I definitely feel I pushed myself more today. Although I have no idea how I'm going to manage week two if after 50 seconds I'm checking the timer to see how long I have left on that interval.

Come payday though I really need to get some better earphones. I think I spend about a third of my time running flailing around trying to get them back in my ears.

Did you take a rest day between D1 and D2? I only ask because I got injured the first time I tried this programme because I ran two days in a row and my body couldn't handle it.

Running is high-impact and you do need that rest day for your muscles to recover, even if it doesn't feel like you're doing much.

Did you take a rest day between D1 and D2? I only ask because I got injured the first time I tried this programme because I ran two days in a row and my body couldn't handle it.

Running is high-impact and you do need that rest day for your muscles to recover, even if it doesn't feel like you're doing much.

Ah, no. That's just my head confusing days. I did the first run on Friday and then the second today. I woke up really late yesterday so I'm confusing times and days.

• Advertisement

Ah, no. That's just my head confusing days. I did the first run on Friday and then the second today. I woke up really late yesterday so I'm confusing times and days.

Haha. Right, you can ignore the lecture then :)

Advertisement