Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you act the same way in real life as you do on boards?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

OP - What's 'real life'? Excluding the internet warrior types who are probably used as human doormats in 'real life'. I assume most of us on here are who we are. Whether I'm talking to you face to face, on the phone or via cyberspace why would my values and opinions change?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

OP - What's 'real life'?

Spoken like a true net addict! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Khyra24 wrote: »
    I'm aware that there are some very opinionated people on these forums and there are comments that are thrown out there that would probably never be heard in real life unless you're asking for a good smacking. I was just wondering if people here would act the same way and say the same things in real life as they do on these forums or are many of you putting on a separate personality?

In my case, I'm very shy and reserved in reality (I'm nervous right now about making a new thread) but on boards, I notice I'm a lot more outgoing and a bit perverted in a way. Well, I guess I'm that way in real life as well once I feel close enough to you.

Are you putting up a facade?!

I'm the same but much much fatter.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Khyra24

OP - What's 'real life'? Excluding the internet warrior types who are probably used as human doormats in 'real life'. I assume most of us on here are who we are. Whether I'm talking to you face to face, on the phone or via cyberspace why would my values and opinions change?

Actually, when you're out in the world and socializing, is that real life as well? There are people who act differently around family and friends, so which one is the real you? Indeed, what IS real life? I don't know about particular values and opinions changing just because you're typing instead of talking face to face but sometimes they may be influenced by the surrounding environment. I don't know what real life is...for some, it may be the internet, but there are many different aspects to a person and although one's personality may differ depending on the situation, real life is...

GAH balls I lost my train of thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

I think people have already hit the nail on the head by asking what your real personality is. Few of us act the same around our families as we do around colleagues/college mates/customers etc. I find boards and, in a more general sense, the Internet, to be just another outlet and another aspect of my life.

If the question is am I just as opinionated, sarcastic and at times jovial with people on boards as I would be with people I don't know very well in a social setting like the pub, then I think I am. I like to have arguments with people who have strong opinions that may be the opposite of mine but at the end of the day I think it's nothing to get worked up about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I'm pretty much the same. Usually opposite moods though - if I'm in a ****ty mood IRL I'm nice on here and in a good mood IRL I'm usually a dickhead on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Excluding the internet warrior types who are probably used as human doormats in 'real life'. I assume most of us on here are who we are. Whether I'm talking to you face to face, on the phone or via cyberspace why would my values and opinions change?
    Yeah, I certainly don't intentionally put on an act here - as I said though, how I act will be obviously shaped by the setting. And obviously this setting is different to offline.

For instance, I'm way less serious in real life - because real life doesn't have lots of serious threads. I'm also less cranky towards people in real life - because real life thankfully doesn't involve the same amount of dickheads as online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Yes. I like to **** a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Snakeblood wrote: »
    I'm the same but much much fatter.

I'm the same but smaller, shyer, less opinionated, more boring and with worse eyesight.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd say I'm pretty damn unfiltered here, just like "real life". I tend not to be different around different people. Maybe I should start! :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

In real life......

.....I'm a priest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Yep, lazy and usually wrong

Advertisement