Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you act the same way in real life as you do on boards?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

steve06 wrote: »
    why the avatar then? :D

That is me ..... >_>

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I'm nearly the same.

Constantly trying to nail the funny response, and usually failing miserably and not getting a laugh :(

However, in real life, I'm ALWAYS right. Not one person has managed to post a link to prove me wrong IRL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

A bit of everything but nowadays, more like myself.

At one time I was a great troll, haven't trolled in over five years and I'm still laughing.

You can't get away with what one could in the past, Gogole will find you in five seconds, most of us know one another by this stage anyway too.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

Uh, I think I'm
    the same.
    Haven't really given it much thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

Actually this is an interesting question. I was thinking about my posting history yesterday. I started off posting quite seriously and then later on focusing on more humourous replies. I think though I prefer a mixture of the two within the right context.

The boardsie 'me' is no more 'me' than my work 'me' or any other social type situation. It's just an aspect of it. But the defining traits and opinions are mine.

Short answer: No. Long answer: Yes but sort of no.

Philosophical answer: The facade is real. The reality is false.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Whenever any of my friends are around in my house and fail to produce pictures of their sexual conquests, they are politely asked to leave. So yes, I'm the very same in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

When I'm with my good friends I'm exactly the same as I am here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Boards IS real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

mostly...............

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

Alot of keyboard warriors here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

A bit less serious in real life. For some reason on Boards I'm instantly attracted to a thread discussing topical issues. I don't think I've said anything to a person here that I wouldn't be willing to say to their face though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

For the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I'm a cynical bastard in real life, here i am only cynical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭nosey rosie

No... of course we dont behave normally on a forum...
    The worst and best... come out...You say things you wouldn't ever say in real life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

I have no idea what I am like, here or in real life, never really took the time to do self analysis.

Others have though and the critics have turned out to be proven gobsh1tes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

In real life, I tape conversations I have with other people. If they annoy me and I can't think of a witty retort, I can spend hours thinking up one, then replay the conversation, pause it at the bit they annoyed me, and give them my sarcastic answer. Just like quoting.

People avoid respect me now because they know I'll always get one up on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Yes I do. I act no different to when I am in real life as I do on boards. Fair enough I am shy and quiet in real life but I'm a very private person at the best of times, I might say a little more than normal when on boards thats all but how I act is very much the same as I would in real life especially once you get to know me I'm in the middle of being an introvert/extrovert!

What ever way I come across on boards, its the real me!:cool:

I can be funny unintentionally both on boards and in real life so...all cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Khyra24

Apolloyon wrote: »
    Actually this is an interesting question. I was thinking about my posting history yesterday. I started off posting quite seriously and then later on focusing on more humourous replies. I think though I prefer a mixture of the two within the right context.

The boardsie 'me' is no more 'me' than my work 'me' or any other social type situation. It's just an aspect of it. But the defining traits and opinions are mine.

Short answer: No. Long answer: Yes but sort of no.

Philosophical answer: The facade is real. The reality is false.

Wow...that is a brilliant intellectual answer...I am gobsmacked...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

I'm much nicer in real life.

I think I'm pretty similar, I'm very sarcastic IRL, always have an answer for everything or try to make a joke of everything (not necessarily succeeding!) but I'm also quite nice and generally logical. I can be quite opinionated but would express it here with strangers more than with RL strangers but my friends would know the boards me. Does that cover everything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Khyra24

You lot would be so interesting to meet in real life me thinks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I frequently add posts like'aw what a feed' or 'oh smell that fart',pretty much the exact same as I'd say in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Pretty much the same IRL, though I have cut down on the puns as they trip off the tongue at the most inappropriate moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I'm fairly similar to my online personality. Though I don't follow up one liners with pacman faces in real life :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

There's bound to be a difference. The anonymity of the interwebs allows us to indulge in thoughts / opinions / feelings that we couldn't do with the same degree of confidence in daily public life.

Ironically, I have to tone things down on the interwebs. I'm much more rapey in real life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

im in real life all the time even when im on here so im allways the same im awsome dude lol:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭grungepants

I am chris.I pretend to be nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Less sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

i am but i draw more with biro's then i would photoshop... :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭Kiva.D

Yeah, no, I'm just being me, I think...

Advertisement