Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston Marathon - new registration procedures

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Look, at this stage, you might as well come over and show us around. ;)

Ha! I'd love to and I'm wicked jealous of you guys heading over for it! Marathon day is one of my favorite days of the year in Boston.

btw- I forgot to mention to you guys one of the coolest things on the Boston running scene. Every Saturday, at 10am at a place called Fresh Pond, there is a "pick up race". Its gone on for years. Basically the deal is you just show up on Saturday at 10- line up (no cost) and race either one lap of the pond (2.5miles) or 2 laps (5miles). As you cross the finish line you get a popsicle stick w/ your finishing position on it and the top 3 get their names printed in the Boston Globe every Sunday. The race is really cool cause you never know who will show up. I remember one day about 15 years ago when I raced World Cross champ Lynne Jennings also major characters whow up etc... Figure you will all be wrapped up in the marathon stuff but that race is worth checking out if you go back!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Any other takers? Will probably book this evening.

Will be minding Junior that evening so don't include me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

I'll be at the Dublin stand at the expo. Drop over for a chat, or if you need any info on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I'll be at the Dublin stand at the expo. Drop over for a chat, or if you need any info on the course.
    Good stuff. You should drop in for a few beers if you're still around on the Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Good stuff. You should drop in for a few beers if you're still around on the Monday.

Thanks for the invite. However, as part of my duties over there, I have to count the runners in my hotel out and then count them back afterwards :)
    I'm double jobbing.

• Advertisement

How about this place for a meet-up after the finish?

Is close enough to the finish area, but yet removed from the crowds....and they serve Bud Light, so will suit Krusty perfectly!

Peckham wrote: »

Is close enough to the finish area, but yet removed from the crowds....and they serve Bud Light, so will suit Krusty perfectly!
    Doesn't look too bad (and I'll turn a blind eye to that slander :)). What do our ears on the ground (Dr Quirky/Speedy) think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Doesn't look too bad (and I'll turn a blind eye to that slander :)). What do our ears on the ground (Dr Quirky/Speedy) think?

never been there, there was one or 2 Irish bars I never made it to during my time there :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Well, I may as well face it and realise that as much as I want too, I won't make it over for this years race. May have the brother get my goodie bag though ;)

I just don't think I'm in good enough shape to have a serious go at the sub 3, maybe if everything clicked on the day, but thats highly unlikely.
    I'd be afraid that if I did run it and come back with a 3:10-15 then that would set me back again for another few months, so I may as well just continue on my road back from the 1000mls and concentrate on some shorter stuff.

Best of luck to all of you, enjoy the experience that is the Boston Marathon. - Speedy

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that Speedy, but it sounds like w wise decision. The gruelling 1,000 mile journey is probably not the ideal kind of training for a pop at a fast marathon. Next time..

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Well, I may as well face it and realise that as much as I want too, I won't make it over for this years race. May have the brother get my goodie bag though ;)

I just don't think I'm in good enough shape to have a serious go at the sub 3, maybe if everything clicked on the day, but thats highly unlikely.
    I'd be afraid that if I did run it and come back with a 3:10-15 then that would set me back again for another few months, so I may as well just continue on my road back from the 1000mls and concentrate on some shorter stuff.

Best of luck to all of you, enjoy the experience that is the Boston Marathon. - Speedy

Jaysus Speedy, sorry to hear that. I was looking forward to meeting you - we both did Rotterdam last year too - one of us must be stalking :p

Good luck with the recovery

Emailed this bar to make sure they are open that afternoon and to see about reserving a table. Response was that they're open, but are expecting to be busy so not allowing reservations.

Emailed this bar to make sure they are open that afternoon and to see about reserving a table. Response was that they're open, but are expecting to be busy so not allowing reservations.
    Did you not tell them you were Irish? :)

It's Patriot's Day. Every bar is going to be busy, particularly with the game going on in Fenway.
    Oh and BTW: Taper time!

Did you not tell them you were Irish? :)

I did actually! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

Might be of interest to some, http://www.runningnut.com/marathon-tapering/

I'm planning a 2 week taper, with 18-20 miles easy on Saturday the last major run.

wideball wrote: »
    Might be of interest to some, http://www.runningnut.com/marathon-tapering/

I'm planning a 2 week taper, with 18-20 miles easy on Saturday the last major run.
    I'm doing a three week taper, with mileage going from:
    86 (last week) -> 70 -> 54 -> 36.
    Slow drop-off to start with, and down to 42% in the final week. Won't know myself. There are no rest days though and a couple of intensive runs (1 race, two intervals sessions), so at least I won't go stir crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

Taper started. Received the welcome pack in today's post. Getting close now!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭loughie

If I make it to the start line i'll be happy. Jarred my knee at end of Meath half. Trained on for the week and raced 10 mile race in Bundoran. Both races were PB's!! Knee swelled up so rested for a week. Done 50 miles last week and knee swelled up again after 20 miler on Sunday. Rested for 3 days now and swelling reducing. Looks like i'll have to take it easy up to the race and hope I can give it a good go.

New goal just to get around. :(

loughie wrote: »
    If I make it to the start line i'll be happy. Jarred my knee at end of Meath half. Trained on for the week and raced 10 mile race in Bundoran. Both races were PB's!! Knee swelled up so rested for a week. Done 50 miles last week and knee swelled up again after 20 miler on Sunday. Rested for 3 days now and swelling reducing. Looks like i'll have to take it easy up to the race and hope I can give it a good go.

New goal just to get around. :(

Bad luck. A few short fast runs rather than any great distance in next two weeks should probably see you through. The endurance work has already been done. Hopefully you'll be good by race day.

• Advertisement

This time two weeks we'll probably be sitting on damp grass in Hopkinton anxiously waiting to get things underway.

How's everyone feeling? My two key sessions last week have given me a lot more confidence than I had this time last week, but still in the balance as to whether I can reach my target.

On the recommendation from those on the Runners World forum I downloaded one of the customised pace calculators for Boston, and it's well worth the €5. Calculates your pace based on elevations, race strategy etc. Worth taking a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

This time two weeks we'll probably be sitting on damp grass in Hopkinton anxiously waiting to get things underway.

How's everyone feeling? My two key sessions last week have given me a lot more confidence than I had this time last week, but still in the balance as to whether I can reach my target.

Not too bad Peckham - ran the last long run yesterday - 5 @ 7:11, 5 @ 6:59, 5 @ 6:40, 3 warmdown @ 7:40. So today is day 1 of the taper. I'm happy I'm in a good place regarding pace but have not been able to go at any hills since the calf injury. I'll know how that is at mile 16 in two weeks. The time out with injury has definitely helped with the freshness side of things - there was an appetite for more yesterday. But the injury must have diminished capacity to handle hills and overall stamina. Fingers crossed I'll hope to aim for 1st / 2nd half splits of just under 1:29 / 1:30

I did my last serious run on Saturday (30km) in the Phoenix Park. I ran an easy consistent pace (4:34km / 7:20mi) for it all. I didn't want to add any PMP sections as I wanted to keep the legs relatively fresh. I've done all my PMP work at this stage, so I used Saturday's run as literally a dress rehearsal.

Will do 8-10 miles next weekend with a few miles at PMP and other than that just short sharp runs.

But I wish I was in Boston now and ready to go, instead of the next 2 weeks of nervous energy waiting... In good shape at the moment but it'll be on the day as they say. Booked in for a sports massage in the morning.

Peckham, good to hear you had a good week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

What's up you Boston bound pussies.

Us real men, (i.e London bound marathon runners ;)) have a table of target times. How about you sandbaggers put one up as well and we'll have a competition. We'll add up all the predicted times and compare them to actual finishing times. The marathon with the closest % time will be deemed the winners. Are ye up for it or are ye chicken.

PS yo mama is so fat ..................

Bring it on. Not only will we take down you Londoners, we'll take down those incline-fearing Rotterdamers too.

And that's just in the drinking stakes. Is there a column for that in your table?

London vs. Boston, now it starts....

wideball wrote: »
    London vs. Boston, now it starts....

Not a bad response wideball but you pussies still got no table of target times :cool:

1328909207-happy-chicken.jpg

Bring it on...

Name|PB Time|Target Time|Wave/Corral|Boston 2012 time
    figs|3:04:49|2:59:00|1/5|

Name|PB Time|Target Time|Wave/Corral|Boston 2012 time
    figs|3:04:49|2:59:00|1/5|
    wideball|3:13:41|2:59:00|1/8|

• Advertisement

Name|Category|PB Time|Target Time|Wave/Corral|Boston 2012 time