Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston Marathon - new registration procedures

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Name|PB Time|Target Time|Wave/Corral|Boston 2012 time
    figs|3:04:49|2:59:00|1/5|
    wideball|3:13:41|2:59:00|1/8|
    krusty_clown|2:48:10|2:42:30|1/1|

I'll be having some of that. Of course the points formula has to take into account improvement from current PB. Can't be having people going for a pussy-like jog around the marathon course. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

Name|Category|PB Time|Target Time|Wave/Corral|Boston 2012 time
    figs|pussy|3:04:49|2:59:00|1/5|
    wideball|pussy|3:13:41|2:59:00|1/8|

I've updated that table for you ladies :D

There's gonna be trouble when we catch hold of you!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Peckham|2:58:59|2:52:15|1/3|

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭loughie

Peckham|2:58:59|2:52:15|1/3|
    Loughie|3:03:38|4:00:00|1/4|

13 miles last week, just physio this week on a MCL grade 2 sprain/tear!! Just want to get around :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Hey lads- Sorry I haven;t been around much to answer any questions- my new baby has put a stop to any notion of leisure time. Anyway- I figured I'd post a few thoughts on my hometown before you left- just a few suggestions if anyone is interested...

Awesome places to eat:

Anna's Taqueria (cheap but delicious burritos) http://www.annastaqueria.com/

Redbones (proper BBQ pulled pork etc and Craft Beer) http://redbones.com/

Pizzeria Regina (co runner for best old school Boston Pizza Thorton St.)http://www.pizzeriaregina.com/

Santarpio's (my favorite Boston Pizza) http://www.santarpiospizza.com/

Grill 23 (great steaks but $$$$) http://grill23.com/

Best Running shops =

Marathon Sports http://www.marathonsports.com/

Things to Do-

The Science Museum is great w/ kids http://www.mos.org/

The Freedom Trail is a walk around the city that takes in most of the best Revolutionary War sites- http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Oops- posted that before I meant to. Also good are Duck Tours, Harbor Cruises (though I think Whale Watches run a little long and can be boring if no Whales are seen) and obviously watching a game at the only church I've ever known Fenway Park- home of the best baseball team on the planet.

Anyways, have fun, good luck and PM me if you have any specific questions...

DQ

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

Thanks for all that info drquirky - was looking at Duck Tours this morning, so will probably book that for the Saturday in order to get a trip round the city whilst keeping the legs fresh!

Others - not sure if you noticed in the email from BAA the other day, but Sam Adams brewery is doing "special tours" for marathon runners and if you show your number you get a free commemorative glass. Tour is free also, but you need to reserve a spot. Check the email.

Peckham wrote: »
    Thanks for all that info drquirky - was looking at Duck Tours this morning, so will probably book that for the Saturday in order to get a trip round the city whilst keeping the legs fresh!

Others - not sure if you noticed in the email from BAA the other day, but Sam Adams brewery is doing "special tours" for marathon runners and if you show your number you get a free commemorative glass. Tour is free also, but you need to reserve a spot. Check the email.
    I wonder does London marathon have it's own beer? What about Rotterdam? :p

Hi Peckham, if you get a chance, can you compare your Boston-specific pace band to the one generated in wideball's second link. Just be interesting to compare. Personally, I reckon I'll just bring an even-split pace band, but will just use it as a general 'am I ahead or behind' reference, rather than a mile-by-mile guide. I tend to run all of my marathons at a pace that feels manageable at the time, and take breaks 'off-the-pace' to recover when I need them, so sticking religiously to a pace-band would only serve as a cause of consternation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I wonder does London marathon have it's own beer? What about Rotterdam? :p

http://www.fullers.co.uk/rte.asp?id=151
    Too right it does, it's a mans race.

• Advertisement

shels4ever wrote: »

That's just some generic mass-produced beer. Not a patch on the Boston version! ;)

KC - I haven't done the comparison, but according to what I read on Runners World forums, it's identical. The only difference with the one I downloaded is that it includes variables for pacing strategies - i.e. even effort versus even pace, fast/slow/steady start, and degree of fade towards the end. This version just assumes average values across all those variables, but gives a very good guidance in terms of the suggested variance in pace on downhills versus Newton Hills.

It is, in my opinion, a damn fine beer (wasted on you pussies). If they supply you with a few free pints, bring 'em back to Dublin with you, and the Boston lads will drink 'em once we're done with the Boston beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Jesus lads are ye going to Boston to go on holiday or are you going there to get the job done and run a marathon ;) All this talk of tours and sight seeing etc. Bloody disgrace in my book, you would be better off planning how you are going to run your marathon times as the London crew are planning on wiping the floor with your times.

It is, in my opinion, a damn fine beer (wasted on you pussies). If they supply you with a few free pints, bring 'em back to Dublin with you, and the Boston lads will drink 'em once we're done with the Boston beer.

Ha you ladies would probably require a crystal wine glass or the like.

Well lads wonder how much beer you can make it through after the race, its all well and good running 2:42 or 2:52 but if your in bed 2 horus after the race whats the point ;) . Cans of Dutchie at the finish line followed but the best yellow pack beer will do us - Will leave the cosmopolitans and craft beers to you fancy dans.

i'd take a 2:52 and early night actually.

the London crew are planning on wiping the floor with your times

Let's see how many PBs are set in Boston compared with London. That's the true measure after all. ;)

Let's see how many PBs are set in Boston compared with London. That's the true measure after all. ;)
    For drinking or running?, I've a chance of a running pb but i'm afraid my days of setting drinking pb's are over. I can't compete with a mid 20s shels anymore.

For drinking or running?, I've a chance of a running pb but i'm afraid my days of setting drinking pb's are over. I can't compete with a mid 20s shels anymore.

I think we would all struggle in competition with a mid-20s version of ourselves, especially in a post-marathon state!

Sure when you are coming from such a crap level it's easy to set PBs :D

Sure when you are coming from such a crap level it's easy to set PBs :D
    We had a chat with the Rotterdam lads, and between us, we felt you guys were at a bit of a disadvantage, so we've chipped in, and given you an extra week of training. Use it wisely.

• Advertisement

We had a chat with the Rotterdam lads, and between us, we felt you guys were at a bit of a disadvantage, so we've chipped in, and given you an extra week of training. Use it wisely.

To reciprocate we have sorted you out with a down hill point to point race, only problem is pb's don't count on this course now!!!!!!

drquirky wrote: »
    obviously watching a game at the only church I've ever known Fenway Park- home of the best baseball team on the planet.

I thought the Yankees played in Yankee Stadium :confused:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

Just updated The Road Runner's London marathon table. London is a fun run compared to Boston!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Sh1t Boston Marathon runners Say:

The tail wind didn't really help me that much.
    The head wind ruined any chance I had of a fast time.
    It was too hot.
    It was too cold.
    Man, my quads are shot. Are your quads shot? Man, my quads are shot.
    I was on for sub 3 but I misread my customised pace band and ran 5:50s instead of 6:50s. Didn't make it to Wellesley.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

Best of luck to ye all doing Boston, did it last year and would love to do it again.

I happened to be over there last week on business, posters are already up on Boylston St., shops are full of the official clothing ( orange this year as against green last year) and athmosphere seemed to be building nicely.

If you get a chance, drop into the Bill Rodgers running shop (www.billrodgersrunningcenter.com ) in North Market St, Quincy Market and have a chat with the very friendly knowledgable guys there about his 4 BM wins. There are loads of great photos & paper cuttings, but also the gear he wore when he won in 1979 (2 09) - the shoes look like he bought them in Pennys and removed the soles!

Anyway, enjoy.

BTW, last year..... the tail wind didn't really help me that much and it was too hot.............

RAL3 wrote: »
    official clothing ( orange this year as against green last year)

Officially the colour is called "High Energy, however having received a present of a hoody for my birthday a few weeks ago, there is no doubting that it is orange! I shall be modelling it on the flight to Boston next Friday, so will be easy to find! :o

Bruce Fordyce (Comrades Ultra fame) is giving a talk on the Comrades ultra, at the Harry Parker Boathouse on Saturday afternoon (2pm-4pm). Registration here. $5 voluntary charitable donation. Great opportunity to meet the legend!

Weather forecast for Monday 16th:
    8am-2pm: Partly Cloudy - 11'C - 0 mm Rain - Light breeze, 3 m/s from south-southwest
    I would freakin love that weather. I would sacrifice my three cats to have that weather (I hate my cats).

• Advertisement

When do we start worrying about the weather? My weather app showing highs of 27C for raceday!

Advertisement