Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston Marathon - new registration procedures

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

carthaigh wrote: »
    Scrap those questions. SNN-BOS flights go through JFK. See ye on the DUB-BOS flight on Friday the 13th.
    I'm in row 13, on Friday 13th, on flight 133, which lands at 13:00.
    All the omens are there for a great race. :D

You wouldn't want to be superstitious!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 carthaigh

As long as it's not a middle seat you'll be fine.
    Disappointing news about Fagan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Same flight as me. Will make sure to get seats nearby so you can mind Peckham Jnr whilst myself and Mrs Peckham get stuck into the inflight bar service. ;-)

Peckham wrote: »
    Same flight as me. Will make sure to get seats nearby so you can mind Peckham Jnr whilst myself and Mrs Peckham get stuck into the inflight bar service. ;-)
    Haha. I knew '13' was unlucky. :)

Quiet lunchbreak, so did a bit of research on Garmin Connect into the Newton Hills. Based on two different uploads from last year's race, I've worked out gains/losses in elevation over the four Newton Hills.

Attached is the spreadsheet, which shows:
    - Columns B/C: The location in the race of the start/end of the ascent/descent
    - Columns D/E: The elevation (in feet) at the start/end of the ascent/descent
    - Column F: The net gain/loss in elevation (E minus D)
    - Column G: The length of the hill (C minus B)

Has anyone done/seen similar, and how does this compare?

Strangely enough all of the Garmin Connect records I looked at (probably about a dozen at random) had Elevation Correction disabled, but I compared two in detail and they match each other in terms of the figures in the attached.

• Advertisement

I've now done a comparison between the Newton Hills and the routes that I'm familiar with around where I live.

If what I've posted above is correct, I'm now more wary of the hills on the course than I was before - particularly Heartbreak Hill showing a 100ft gain over half a mile!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Strangely enough all of the Garmin Connect records I looked at (probably about a dozen at random) had Elevation Correction disabled

Here's mine from 2009 with elevation correction enabled:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/13566701

Thanks. That seems to match up to what I put in the Excel file.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

I've now done a comparison between the Newton Hills and the routes that I'm familiar with around where I live.

If what I've posted above is correct, I'm now more wary of the hills on the course than I was before - particularly Heartbreak Hill showing a 100ft gain over half a mile!

Thanks for posting this... I'd underestimated it too. The hills I normally run (Swords Road / Mobi Road) don't come close to Heartbreak Hill in terms of gradient. The closest I can find is Carrickbrack Road in Howth, near the car park on the Sutton side of the summit (see points 5.3m to 5.8m on route http://connect.garmin.com/player/141890318). That's steep enough. I can now understand why it's a challenge at 20 miles.

Hill 2 is even steeper. It is shorter, but enough to knock the wind out of you.

None of the hills is particularly steep or particularly long, which is why comparisons with Connemara and Dingle are not really valid.

It's the fact that you have them all in a row and that your quads are most likely to be suffering because of the downhills from the early miles that makes them much tougher than what you would expect by simply looking at the numbers.

At least that's what it felt for me. It was the only marathon I ever did where I seriously contemplated pulling out.

• Advertisement

figs wrote: »
    Thanks for posting this... I'd underestimated it too. The hills I normally run (Swords Road / Mobi Road) don't come close to Heartbreak Hill in terms of gradient. The closest I can find is Carrickbrack Road in Howth, near the car park on the Sutton side of the summit

I'd agree with the underestimation, did some similiar sort of analysis.

In Galway the 'big' hill is Tonabrooky, it measures.
    22 meters (72 feet) in .2 miles (Mile 4.93)
    But to get there you'd normally run the hill at Kelehan's and run past the Westwood to Kelehan's. Those hills/climbs measure
    30 meters (98 feet) in .4 miles (Mile 4)
    30 meters (98 feet) in 1 mile (Mile 3)

http://connect.garmin.com/player/32006907

So a simulation of the 4 hills wouldn't be unlike
    Kelehan's, Tonabrooky, .7 mile out and back, Tonabrooky, Kelehan's.

That's tough. I'd normally do half that climbing early in a run and I'd be gasping.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

It was the only marathon I ever did where I seriously contemplated pulling out.

Jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭loughie

How late for a tune-up race? I am running a 10 Mile on 10th Mar and am contemplating a half-marathon (or 10KM) in Kilkenny on 31st Mar. Is it too close to Boston?
    I know it will be tapering time but I do benefit from getting some race pace miles in? Any thoughts?

loughie wrote: »
    How late for a tune-up race? I am running a 10 Mile on 10th Mar and am contemplating a half-marathon (or 10KM) in Kilkenny on 31st Mar. Is it too close to Boston?
    I know it will be tapering time but I do benefit from getting some race pace miles in? Any thoughts?
    Pfizinger and Douglas Advanced marathoning plans usually include a 10k tune-up race two weeks before your goal marathon, so the 10k on the 31st March should be fine. You could do the half marathon, if you're confident enough that you can stick to marathon pace (or slower), without being dragged into an all-out half-marathon race. Even then, 13 miles @marathon pace two weeks before Boston, is cutting it pretty fine (though I plan to do the same thing in Connemara). It really depends on your post race recovery. You definitely don't want to be introducing niggles, that close to Boston. No problems with the 10mile race on the 10th March.

+1 on the Krusty post.

I'm going to do the Kinvara Half on March 3rd and might do the Mallow 10 on March 19th. That will be it I think.

Meanwhile, I got good news from our man MacMillan yesterday - my 64:13 at The Dungarvan 10 was my first ever sub-3 equivalent (MacMillan equivalent 2:59:52). Very encouraging as I face into the next ten weeks!

Much more important than all this training and race strategy talk, Adidas have release details of the Boston 2012 clothing range - including the marathon jacket, which apparently is the souvenir item if you run Boston.

Full range
    Marathon jacket

This development is the cause of much excitement over on the Runners World forum!

Bright red? The tracksuit top might be more my style!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

I'm planning to do the Meath Spring Half Marathon on March 4th and Wicklow Way Trail on March 24th.

I plan to race the half but use the trail race as a training run. Enjoyed the race last year so want to do it again and the hill running I guess will help for Boston.

the marathon jacket, which apparently is the souvenir item if you run Boston.

That's correct. It's almost compulsory.

I found it really funny the next day, the massive number of people walking around Boston wearing the same jacket, many of them clearly in discomfort.

Oh, and the security guard at the airport waved me past all the queues straight through the VIP gate when he saw mine ("You are a hero, sir").

Glad mine is blue, though.

That's correct. It's almost compulsory.

I found it really funny the next day, the massive number of people walking around Boston wearing the same jacket, many of them clearly in discomfort.

Oh, and the security guard at the airport waved me past all the queues straight through the VIP gate when he saw mine ("You are a hero, sir").

Glad mine is blue, though.

So, do you buy it in advance and bring it to Boston? Or buy it at the expo? Do you have to provide proof of entry to get one? Can't imagine Adidas turing down business from non-entrants...

• Advertisement

Are you sure it wasn't 'the limp'? He might have thought you were returning from a tour in Afghanistan. :)

Anyone can buy them, and according to the thread on Runners World it's worth buying them in advance (not sure if adidas website ships to Ireland?), or from a downtown retailer in Boston rather than at the Expo (which is understandably very busy with long queues).

Are you sure it wasn't 'the limp'? He might have thought you were returning from a tour in Afghanistan. :)

Ha ha, very funny. :rolleyes:

Of course it's on open sale, but it is extremely bad karma to wear a Boston jacket if you haven't done the race. You know, a curse, a bit like the one with the crown jewels.

Jacket isn't too bad but could do without half the back of it being emblazoned with a unicorn. Up until that it was reasonably suttle. Probably worth the price for a bit of airport queue skipping. Would ye wear it back at home though?

On the 1/2 marathon 2 weeks before Boston. I ran two 10 milers within 2 weeks last year. I really struggled in the second one, definitley too close to race twice at those distances. Don't know about ye but I find it very hard to hold back in a race no matter what I've promised myself before. It might be too risky if you have the same trait.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Murta

Anyone can buy them, and according to the thread on Runners World it's worth buying them in advance (not sure if adidas website ships to Ireland?), or from a downtown retailer in Boston rather than at the Expo (which is understandably very busy with long queues).

shopadidas.com will only ship to a US address. I wasn't interested in one initially as have too many running jackets as it but "red" is my favorate colour and I love the Uniconr on the back. Now, I can't wait to get my hands on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭loughie

Will definitely run the 10 mile on Mar 10. Have not made decision on whether I run the half-mara or the 10K at end of Mar. I recover quickly enough from races so I'm in two minds. I will at least run the 10K.

As for the Boston jacket, I hope the small is a small :)

loughie wrote: »
    As for the Boston jacket, I hope the small is a small :)

Agree - hopefully it's not an American "small" :D

Meanwhile, away from the jackets, am still obsessing about the course profile :(

I printed off the profile pieces from the BAA website, pasted them together and hung them on the wall. The longer horizontal definitely helps!

I reckon the planning at this stage is
    Mile 1 to 5 - Serious downhill. Target marathon pace minus 15 secs
    Mile 5 to 15 - Ups and downs but generally a "normal" profile. Target marathon pace
    Mile 15 to 21 - Serious descent followed by the four Newton hills. Target marathon pace plus 13 secs
    Mile 21 to 26 - Steady downhill. Target marathon pace

The big danger is losing everything in that first five miles. Still, even if I don't make these times I'll probably still use those course divisions. Something tells me this ain't gonna be my last post on this ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Meanwhile, away from the jackets, am still obsessing about the course profile :(

I printed off the profile pieces from the BAA website, pasted them together and hung them on the wall. The longer horizontal definitely helps!

I reckon the planning at this stage is
    Mile 5 to 15 - Ups and downs but generally a "normal" profile. Target marathon pace
    Mile 15 to 21 - Serious descent followed by the four Newton hills. Target marathon pace plus 13 secs
    Mile 21 to 26 - Steady downhill. Target marathon pace

The big danger is losing everything in that first five miles. Still, even if I don't make these times I'll probably still use those course divisions. Something tells me this ain't gonna be my last post on this ;)

Its very easy to get carried away in the first 5mls, ditto for halfway when you feel like a movie star running past all the screaming girls at Wellsley College :rolleyes:
    I would be careful not to go to fast on that section. I think that is the mistake a lot of people make, which is why they find the Newton Hills so hard. They are not too bad really, as long as you have paced yourself ok;)

• Advertisement

Speaking from personal experience, I think this is too fast.

Advertisement