Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston Marathon - new registration procedures

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Peckham wrote: »
    When do we start worrying about the weather? My weather app showing highs of 27C for raceday!
    Just about now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Looks to be a one day blip, so hopefully it will get pushed out by a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

Hard to know what the weather will be like with conflicting reports this far out, I haven't checked the wind forecast.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Boston+MA+USMA0046
    Says high of 24C to low of 6C and sunny

http://www.wunderground.com/US/MA/Boston.html
    Says 13C/3C and cloudy, though Sunday is at 23C

http://www.boston.com/weather/
    Says 17C/9C and partly cloudy

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/boston-ma/02108/daily-weather-forecast/348735?day=6
    Says 18C/11C and partly cloudy

Doomsday forecast is http://www1.whdh.com/weather/
    27C/11C Sunny

I guess the sun (if it appears) will be into our faces. Sunnies required?

I'm going to choose to believe in the yr.no weather report, as it's slightly less worrying:
    Partly Cloudy - 20'C - 0 mm rain - Gentle breeze, 5 m/s from west (Tail-wind).
    However, it seems to be changing hourly.

Also this:
    How to Run the Boston Marathon: Race Day Strategies

wideball wrote: »
    Hard to know what the weather will be like with conflicting reports this far out, I haven't checked the wind forecast.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Boston+MA+USMA0046
    Says high of 24C to low of 6C and sunny
    That first one has a 21km/hour head-wind. We'll be having less of that please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

In order to distract you all from your weather prediction mania for one or two seconds;)........
    I'll pop on to wish you all the very, very best of luck next Monday. Boston is a spectacular race and the atmosphere is electric, if I had to pick a favourite of mine I think this would be it.

Don't forget to pick up your poster at the expo, it has all the entrants' names printed on it and it's handy for playing "Where's Wally?" especially if you can't sleep the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Saw on MarathonTalk that live coverage should be available on universalsports.com. Might be tricky to watch given it's a work day of course ;)

Best of luck to everyone, hopefully the wind will blow in the right direction & it won't be too hot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

opus wrote: »
    Best of luck to everyone, hopefully the wind will blow in the right direction & it won't be too hot!

+1 although I begrudgingly say this ;) Seriously best of luck. Don't go off too fast in the first 6 miles and keep a calm head through wellesley college. You'll hear them before you see them. I promise to stop doing my heat-wave dance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Hey all- Good luck! I am seriously jealous that you are getting to run in America's finest city. Leave it all on the course and have a ball. I look forward to reading the reports!
    DQ

All set and packed and ready to go?

Just to confirm the important details of our post-race beers. We're in Clery's immediately following the race, and The Publick House that night.

Will see some of you in the airport/on the flight tomorrow morning - for those who haven't met me before I'll be the one in the Boston Marathon hoodie ("high energy" colour), trying to keep a hyperactive one year old amused within the confines of a plane. Sitting in row 29 - come and say hello!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Best of luck all. Wish I was going back. Don't worry about the hills, they'll be fine. Just do not under any circumstances get suckered into running the first 5 miles faster than you should. Its very easy to do in Boston. In my humble opinion you should not think about banking any time in the first 1/4 of the course. It'll do more damage than you think. Even effort all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

All set and packed and ready to go?

Just to confirm the important details of our post-race beers. We're in Clery's immediately following the race, and The Publick House that night.

Will see some of you in the airport/on the flight tomorrow morning - for those who haven't met me before I'll be the one in the Boston Marathon hoodie ("high energy" colour), trying to keep a hyperactive one year old amused within the confines of a plane. Sitting in row 29 - come and say hello!

See ya tomorrow in the airport... packing will have to wait till this evening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Just a bit for you lads to watch before you fly off.
    Remember run the upper part of heart break hill as fast as possible (the down part):).. if dicky can do it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmzljrUrwKE

shels4ever wrote: »
    Remember run the upper part of heart break hill as fast as possible (the down part):).. if dicky can do it....

If that doesn't get you in the mood nothing will :D

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

shels4ever wrote: »

Wow!

loughie wrote: »

Hopefully the clouds will come out, looks a bit warm. I guess the strategy would be to drink small amounts of water frequently. I promise that I've stopped doing my heat wave dance:)

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

Hopefully the clouds will come out, looks a bit warm. I guess the strategy would be to drink small amounts of water frequently.

Beginning to consider a drinking strategy involving frequent amounts of beer while watching others running... those temperatures just aren't going to help PB times!
    I promise that I've stopped doing my heat wave dance:)
    Have you got a rain dance in your repertoire?!

figs wrote: »
    Beginning to consider a drinking strategy involving frequent amounts of beer while watching others running... those temperatures just aren't going to help PB times!

Have you got a rain dance in your repertoire?!

I can't believe that after so much training / battling through injury / all the domestic sacrifice etc. to get to the start line that we are going to face 32 degrees celsius.

We all got a mail just now from Boston organisers which seems to be suggesting that runners reconsider running at all, let alone trying for a time.

I don't think there's any way I can run in that heat - no chance. Maybe go to the start line and jog it or something - but then that means being out on the course for hours longer in the killer heat.

Some dose... what a waste :mad:

I can't believe that after so much training / battling through injury / all the domestic sacrifice etc. to get to the start line that we are going to face 32 degrees celsius.

We all got a mail just now from Boston organisers which seems to be suggesting that runners reconsider running at all, let alone trying for a time.

I don't think there's any way I can run in that heat - no chance. Maybe go to the start line and jog it or something - but then that means being out on the course for hours longer in the killer heat.

Yeah i see they have a weather warning on the homepage. Don't get too down beat they are just covering their arses at the moment and talking about the worst case scenario.

There is nothing you can do about the weather, so if it is a scorcher just adjust your race plan accordingly. No use worrying and getting upset over things you can't control.

I'm off to start my Boston rain dance. Now I don't want any complaints if you guys get a monsoon :)

• Advertisement

Yeah i see they have a weather warning on the homepage. Don't get too down beat they are just covering their arses at the moment and talking about the worst case scenario.

There is nothing you can do about the weather, so if it is a scorcher just adjust your race plan accordingly. No use worrying and getting upset over things you can't control.

I'm off to start my Boston rain dance. Now I don't want any complaints if you guys get a monsoon :)

Sure thing RR.

Meanwhile, hey Krusty, I just got back from this joint you recommended. Man, they have some selection. That's the grub for the wekend sorted!

Yep, it sure is warm here and all anyone is talking about is how hot it's going to be on Monday.

More importantly haven't seen Krusty since the queue for customs in the airport. Hopefully those cuban cigars in his case won't mean he'll be seen on the next series of Banged Up Abroad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Very frustrating. Look at the positives though. Not sure if you have been to Boston before but it is a stunning city! Architecturally beautiful. Worst case scenario, you get to enjoy a 26.2 mile tour of all the sights. Not too shabby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

I was at Logan Airport today to meet a few people and there was no sign of Krusty. Perhaps he's on their list of subversives.
    Weather forecast is for 85F but with a 37% humidity. It will be tough, however, the course is well serviced with water and gatorade.
    Best of luck to those taking part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Best of luck lads, do as best as you can. Thats what its all about.

Yep, it sure is warm here and all anyone is talking about is how hot it's going to be on Monday.

More importantly haven't seen Krusty since the queue for customs in the airport. Hopefully those cuban cigars in his case won't mean he'll be seen on the next series of Banged Up Abroad
    It's ok, I had the cigars secreted somewhere where the customs guys wouldn't dare to check. :)

All talk here in Boston has now turned to the weather. 'Some' heat I had prepared myself mentally for, but this much? Just bad luck. Well, it is, what it is...

It's ok, I had the cigars secreted somewhere where the customs guys wouldn't dare to check. :)

Make sure nobody is within smelling distance when you light those bad boys up.

Forecast getting pretty accurate now:

24 degrees C at the start gun at 10am
    29 degrees C at the three hour mark at midday
    Then rising to 33/34 in the early afternoon :eek: - the hottest ever temperatures for Bostin Marathon.

Heading to the expo this morning. Should be surreal...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

loughie wrote: »

don't underestimated the significance of the heat lads.

The first year I ran it in '93 it was about 24 degrees and after training through one of the coldest hardest winters on record, I wasn't ready for it.
    I went out in something like 88 and came back in 2hrs and was in bits.

So as hard as it might be, forget about pb's, be conservative, take in loads of fluids, and enjoy the day, and then take in loads more fluids and enjoy the night :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Speedy44 wrote: »
    don't underestimated the significance of the heat lads.

The first year I ran it in '93 it was about 24 degrees and after training through one of the coldest hardest winters on record, I wasn't ready for it.
    I went out in something like 88 and came back in 2hrs and was in bits.

So as hard as it might be, forget about pb's, be conservative, take in loads of fluids, and enjoy the day, and then take in loads more fluids and enjoy the night :D

Good post.

We've all been there to some degree, where a bid at a PB was dented by hot weather, a wet track, a ridiculous headwind, timekeepers messing up electronic timing etc etc. It's just far worse for you guys, given the nature of the marathon and the fact that you can't just run them every week or two.

You've flown all that way and it's a great bloody city so you might aswell soak up the experience. Pretty prestigious race which you have earned your places in.

Advertisement