Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Sweet, my moms taking me to toymaster to get the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle blimp.:D

you son of a gun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

They are but Five Star is cheaper and they give Green Shield Stamps.

i throw my green shield stamps into the fountain at the oyster bar. :D but only after I have a few at The Tavern.

We should all head to the Snack Box first though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

We should all head to the Snack Box first though.

Surely you mean Captain Snacks beside the Lisheen ???

better than buck rogers any day, although the hilton burger wasn't too bad after a day of skating. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

"Sure I remember when this was all fields"

biko wrote: »

You mean Forster Court :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Speaking of takeaways I was walking past the art gallery beside Tony and Guy and on the wall there is a painting hanging depicting the old takeaway beside Yeats College being knocked years ago. I think it's a copy because I remember seeing that painting years ago. I remember them knocking the takeaway itself. It' of a dog sitting in the foreground looking very sad as the premises is ripped down. Cool painting imo.

Speaking of takeaways I was walking past the art gallery beside Tony and Guy and on the wall there is a painting hanging depicting the old takeaway beside Yeats College being knocked years ago. I think it's a copy because I remember seeing that painting years ago. I remember them knocking the takeaway itself. It' of a dog sitting in the foreground looking very sad as the premises is ripped down. Cool painting imo.

is it the dog with one bloodshot eye - a black and white dog - if so that was up on the wall of the building up until very recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

That's the one. Do you mean the art gallery or a building adjacent to where the takeaway itself was because I think it may have been a mural. I can't really remember exactly.

• Advertisement

I cant remember a takeaway there at all but I do know that picture was on the side of the ICE building - looking down onto the park. It has only recently been taken down.

Now I'm off to Gleesons to get a rig-out for Easter. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Did there used to be (1980's) some sort of fast food restaurant in Galway which had American football helmets for lamp shades. That's about all I remember about it. Did I dream it or was it real?

Did there used to be (1980's) some sort of fast food restaurant in Galway which had American football helmets for lamp shades.
    It was near "Kno Knos Knight Klub" but I cannot remember the name and was called the Superbowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,243 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The American Football one was The Superbowl which morphed into CPs.
    The dog one was Courtneys, the only chipper in Galway that sold crubeens.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Does the Blackrock stay open late on fridays? I bought a digital watch upstairs and the calculator stopped working..:confused:

Might drop into the Golden Key on the way home for a jar

Did there used to be (1980's) some sort of fast food restaurant in Galway which had American football helmets for lamp shades. That's about all I remember about it. Did I dream it or was it real?

yes, it was called the Superbowl and it was down Abbeygate Street - it was a bit like an american diner - an upmarket eddie rockets - it was good while it lasted but it didn't last very long.

The American Football one was The Superbowl which morphed into CPs.
    The dog one was Courtneys, the only chipper in Galway that sold crubeens.

OMG I remember it now - was the the delapidated one facing up towards town, where the indian restaurant is now.

for some reason I was thinking of a takeaway where the ICE building is.

What was the name of the chipper down the slope on Mary Street where Music City used to be? Its where the new Pizza place is now but they leavened it off.
    Used to be open 24hrs. Was owned by Pat Lohan who had the Lisheen and now has Lohans in Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Welcome time traveller from the past. We wish you no harm. We live in simpler times now where people buy tacky clothes in River Island and no longer rent televisions.

We shall take you to our leader, once we elect one.

Edit: Also Betamax video players went the way of the dodo in mid to late eighties.
    what happened to the dodo?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭turbojunkie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lookinbusy

..thinking bout mitchin school today and headin down the Savoy to play the pokers and maybe a few games of Afterburner, anyone comin ?

Nah. I prefer the machines in Mantos shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Im heading to O Neills for a new pair of shoes then next door to Rafterys for a new Bush TV and maybe a Raleigh bike, or if I can afford it a Honda 50 motorbike. :D Then across the road to for a hair cut from Michael Paul (Where is he now)

Listening to Chris Williams on Independent Radio Galway at the moment. Its a much better station than County Sound or West Coast Radio B-)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Simarillion

Used to work on Shop St and regularly got asked where Moons had gone (in fariness though, I often call it that too)

But last year one woman wanted to know when Woolworths moved from Eyre Sq!!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Well, I'm planning to go to the Punch Bag Theater tonight for a bit of culture and a drink in the Shebeen afterwards !
    :)
    V

wanna meet in strawberry fields first

Or ye could go for an Indian in the Shama.

biko wrote: »
    I was trying to describe where I was working to my grandmother several years ago. The area has been built up since the late 60s/ early 70s.

She didn't recognise where it was based on any of my landmarks until my aunt interrupted and said - "it used to be so and so's farm"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Im heading to O Neills for a new pair of shoes then next door to Rafterys for a new Bush TV and maybe a Raleigh bike, or if I can afford it a Honda 50 motorbike. :D Then across the road to for a hair cut from Michael Paul (Where is he now)
    Personally I prefer Chic the barber or Seanin Thorntan for a haircut, shaved all over with a warped cruke cut fringe, Where did I leave my X-Worx jeans and my petramotion top that I bought in hairy legs :eek: Have to go meet the boys in the vic later where we are gonna listen to 2-unlimited

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement