Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭24yearslater

Am I the only one who feels uncomfortable with this? The man is a Kildareman, not a Galwayman. I know Dublin hurling especially has benefitted from this in the past, but I reckon that was mostly with players who weren't want by their own counties. When I go to a Galway match I like to shout for my own fellow men, no matter how good or bad they are. My late cork father always had an issue with Tompkins in the 80/90s - saying it wasn't right that a county like cork should seek other county players, as it was wrong on 2 counts. One by depriving a local lad of a jersey, & 2 by depriving Kildare of a rare talent (I know there were issues between Kildare & Karry, but the point still stands). I accept that Kavanagh would probably be better than most of our half fwrds at the moment, but surely a county of our standing shouldn't be going down this route. We've won 2 u21 & a minor since 07, whilst also strongly contesting 2 other minor semis in that period. What message does it send out to young talent at 15/16 if they see another county man togging out in the maroon? The co board would want to tread v carefully here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Great boost to your squad. I think this was always going to happen when he was based in Galway and has so many ties to it. He has actually had a lot of success - won an All-Ireland schools medal, won a Leinster with his Intermediate club in Kildare, a Leinster u21 with Kildare and was also nominated for an All-Star. If he can find the form he had a few years ago he will be a serious threat

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Am I the only one who feels uncomfortable with this? The man is a Kildareman, not a Galwayman.

He went to school in Tuam (won an All-Ireland medal there alongside Michael Meehan) and he has built a house and is now living in Galway. This is not a Seanie Johnston style move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Am I the only one who feels uncomfortable with this? The man is a Kildareman, not a Galwayman. I know Dublin hurling especially has benefitted from this in the past, but I reckon that was mostly with players who weren't want by their own counties. When I go to a Galway match I like to shout for my own fellow men, no matter how good or bad they are. My late cork father always had an issue with Tompkins in the 80/90s - saying it wasn't right that a county like cork should seek other county players, as it was wrong on 2 counts. One by depriving a local lad of a jersey, & 2 by depriving Kildare of a rare talent (I know there were issues between Kildare & Karry, but the point still stands). I accept that Kavanagh would probably be better than most of our half fwrds at the moment, but surely a county of our standing shouldn't be going down this route. We've won 2 u21 & a minor since 07, whilst also strongly contesting 2 other minor semis in that period. What message does it send out to young talent at 15/16 if they see another county man togging out in the maroon? The co board would want to tread v carefully here.

It's probably going to happen a fair bit over the future, especially with people moving county to get work. Cork's best player this year is from Antrim!

Tbf Mulholland probably sees it as a way to improve his team. Then again, I'm not sure hes entirely needed, I think Bane is a player ye should be looking to bring back to the fold for example

Also, I agree re the young players ye've a shedload coming through and especially in the forwards. Maybe it would be better put trust in these guys altogether and let them develop. It is becoming a young mans game tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 17,329 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

To be fair to Kavanagh, he went to school in Galway, got his football education in Galway, married a Galway girl and now lives and works in Galway. As someone said it's not exactly a Seanie Johnston situation.

Anyway I'm sure he will be an asset to Galway. He was nominated twice for an All-Star remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

No issue with it because he's a Galway man who happened to ply his trade in Kildare for a while, not the other way around. Should be another good option and experience in a young forward line.

Just on a side point, I seen a Jarlath's a couple of times that year and Meehan's performances (at midfield largely) had to be seen to be believed. The other standout for me was Damien Dunleavy. Very frustrating that we have never got the full talent out of our young players coming through in the last decade or so. Meehan of course has had a good career but for a number of reasons, most significantly injury, he was stopped from becoming one of the greats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 KE_LN90

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    No issue with it because he's a Galway man who happened to ply his trade in Kildare for a while, not the other way around.

Don't remember Ballymore Eustace being located in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

He's hardly a Galway man but he does have plenty of links with the county. As previous posters have said, this is not another Johnston situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Robson99

Would you rather he quit inter county altogether than play for the county where he lives works and rears his family. If hes good enough hes entitled to play with galway. What would he see of his family if he was going up and down to kildare 4 r 5 times a week. Its an amateur sport so why should he be killing himself. Fair play to him and mulholland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Anyone else hear that Micheal Donoghue has joined the Tipp backroom team?

Certainly have heard nothing down these parts, but the rate we are recruiting lads nothing would suprise me, would he have had any connections with Eamon O'Shea through NUIG? Or what has he been doing if anything since Clarinbridge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Kavanagh will be a good addition to the Galway panel, talented footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Certainly have heard nothing down these parts, but the rate we are recruiting lads nothing would suprise me, would he have had any connections with Eamon O'Shea through NUIG? Or what has he been doing if anything since Clarinbridge?

Has been in charge of another club Turloughmore who exited the championship surprisingly to Beagh at the quarter final stage. Heard it on local radio last night but haven't heard anything before or since so maybe there isn't anything to it. Don't know about his connections to O'Shea I'm sure they've worked together at some stage, perhaps the more in the know posters would give a better insight on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

I'm not happy to see Kavanagh lining out for Galway but I suppose he's entitled to be there. He performed fairly well for Milltown in the games I saw them but hasn't really done it consistently at inter-county level when in his prime so hard to see what he can achieve at this stage. He might make the difference in one or two league games against other poor sides but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,329 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I'm not happy to see Kavanagh lining out for Galway but I suppose he's entitled to be there. He performed fairly well for Milltown in the games I saw them but hasn't really done it consistently at inter-county level when in his prime so hard to see what he can achieve at this stage. He might make the difference in one or two league games against other poor sides but that's about it.

Still only 28 so he has a few years left in him yet and it is a young squad so no harm to have a bit of experience in there. Personally I always thought he was Kildare's best forward after Johnny Doyle when he was there. Kildare lads elsewhere have said he didn't have Doyle's consistency but when he was good he was very good.

Still only 28 so he has a few good years left in him yet and it is a young squad so no harm to have a bit of experience in there. Personally I always thought he was Kildare's best forward after Johnny Doyle when he was there. Kildare lads elsewhere have said he didn't have Doyle's consistency but when he was good he was very good.

That's true. He was never really a natural inside forward either which is where he was picked for the most part by McGeeney. He is a very effective creative half forward.

KE_LN90 wrote: »
    Don't remember Ballymore Eustace being located in Galway?
    He's hardly a Galway man but he does have plenty of links with the county. As previous posters have said, this is not another Johnston situation.

Unless im very much mistaken he was born in Co. Galway

Edit: According to this he grew up in Galway anyway. Makes him a Galway man in my book that just defected for a few years

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2013/0109/361879-kavanagh-pours-cold-water-on-galway-rumours/

Edit: According to this he grew up in Galway anyway. Makes him a Galway man in my book that just defected for a few years

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2013/0109/361879-kavanagh-pours-cold-water-on-galway-rumours/

He didn't grow up in Galway. He boarded in St Jarlath's secondary school.

Grew up- as in he went to school there. Boarded at Jarlaths

EDIT- beaten to it

I wouldve taken grew up as 'lived and grew up' but maybe i'm wrong. In any case, have also heard in person and on another forum that he was born in Galway. Gives him at least as much right to play for us as Kildare and he'll be a very welcome addition.

I wouldve taken grew up as 'lived and grew up' but maybe i'm wrong. In any case, have also heard in person and on another forum that he was born in Galway. Gives him at least as much right to play for us as Kildare and he'll be a very welcome addition.

Well he did live there tbh and for 5 years (assuming he went there for all of school?). Bar school holidays and the likes

But tbh he is a Kildare man, plenty go to college in other counties for a good few years it's not really dissimilar

But to be fair he's firmly established in Galway at this stage and has settled down there/is working there. Best of luck to him anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 KE_LN90

Well at least if Galway do win anything, be it a Connacht title or Sam, i'll be telling the Galway relatives it was the Kildare mans influence that pushed them over the line. Lilies Abu.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Best of luck to james and galway... he is an absolute gentleman... galway should count tgemselves lucky to have james aboard..

Cill dara abú

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Am I the only one who feels uncomfortable with this? The man is a Kildareman, not a Galwayman.
    I'm not happy to see Kavanagh lining out for Galway but I suppose he's entitled to be there

Lads come on now, why would ye have such a problem with it? This isn't exactly a mercenary type of situation where we're taking a total outsider on board. Kavanagh has strong Galway ties going back a long time and it's hardly a coincidence that he's ended up settling there. For me he is entitled to be there and has the ability to be a good addition to the squad. I'd say Mullholland is taking him in with an open mind really, no big expectations just see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Toplink

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Lads come on now, why would ye have such a problem with it? This isn't exactly a mercenary type of situation where we're taking a total outsider on board. Kavanagh has strong Galway ties going back a long time and it's hardly a coincidence that he's ended up settling there. For me he is entitled to be there and has the ability to be a good addition to the squad. I'd say Mullholland is taking him in with an open mind really, no big expectations just see how it goes.

Agreed. Great to have him on board.

Toplink wrote: »
    Agreed. Great to have him on board.
    Nothing against Kavanagh - don't know the guy at all. It's the principal of the matter - the Galway team/panel should be for Galway men who have come through the club network from a young age. Our clubs do indeed take a number of players who move to Galway over their careers (as do many other clubs in other counties), but this is the first time I remember a non native togging out for us since Niall McInerney rip. Kerry don't do it, neither do Kilkenny. Just as a matter of interest to those who see this as a good thing, how many non galwegians is acceptable, or does it not matter where they're from just so long as we as a county team are successful?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

KE_LN90 wrote: »
    Well at least if Galway do win anything, be it a Connacht title or Sam, i'll be telling the Galway relatives it was the Kildare mans influence that pushed them over the line. Lilies Abu.

a bit like Fahy and Thompkins with cork in the late 80's:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Football trivia alert - it's not even the first time a Kavanagh from outside the county ended up playing for Galway as a result of being in Galway for his education.

Dan Kavanagh from Kerry played centre-field in the 1942 and 1943 finals for Galway. Was in college in UCG.

The football trivia/quiz thread reminded me of this because the 1942 final of Galway v Dublin was notable in that 3 West Kerry men playing midfield as Dublin had Joe Fitzgerald (uncle of future Kerry player Aodán MacGearailt) as winning captain of Dublin. He was partnered by Mick Falvey from Dingle.

Dan Kavanagh went on to play for Kerry and was on an All-Ireland winning side in 1946 as well as playing in the Polo grounds final.

Personally I'd say that the vast majority of GAA people would have no problem with James Kavanagh lining out for Galway.

The only alternatives would be for him to retire from inter-county football completely at 28 or for him to commute back and forth to Kildare which would hardly be very practical/sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭MfMan

Nothing against Kavanagh - don't know the guy at all. It's the principal of the matter - the Galway team/panel should be for Galway men who have come through the club network from a young age. Our clubs do indeed take a number of players who move to Galway over their careers (as do many other clubs in other counties), but this is the first time I remember a non native togging out for us since Niall McInerney rip. Kerry don't do it, neither do Kilkenny. Just as a matter of interest to those who see this as a good thing, how many non galwegians is acceptable, or does it not matter where they're from just so long as we as a county team are successful?

Historically, Galway AI final-appearing teams have contained players from other counties, some of whom were army members based in Galway, others just working in the county at the time; examples include I think Jim Fives in hurling and Bobby Begg in football. Frank Stockwell played a season for Louth AFAIK. It's not as if Kavanagh is setting a precedent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

You're making it sound as though he is some sort of blow-in just jumping on the Galway bandwagon. In fairness, it's not as if our football stock is very high at the moment so it's hardly as if he is merely trying to latch onto a good thing. Should Milltown have turned him away aswell because he didn't come up through their ranks? He may not be a born and bred Galwayman but he has enough ties with the place to make this a perfectly acceptable move imo.

• Advertisement

aidan24326 wrote: »
    You're making it sound as though he is some sort of blow-in just jumping on the Galway bandwagon. In fairness, it's not as if our football stock is very high at the moment so it's hardly as if he is merely trying to latch onto a good thing. Should Milltown have turned him away aswell because he didn't come up through their ranks? He may not be a born and bred Galwayman but he has enough ties with the place to make this a perfectly acceptable move imo.
    Don't know where u got the impression I accused him of being a blowin jumping on some mythical bandwagon. I fully accept ur point that our stock is low at the moment (arguably at an all time low), but I for one feel that the solution to this involves a radical overhaul of dated coaching structures, & a concentration on developing raw young talent that would be welcomed in most counties. I never for a moment said that milltown should not play him - that's their own business. My point is that Galway shouldn't be looking to other counties players to represent us, if we have failings with our own quality we should seek to address that through coaching. Kildare went down this route under micko in the 90s - they had a few non lillies on their panel at any given time, & they were roundly ridiculed for it. I seem to be in a minority here, but I certainly feel that a Galway side should contain lads who aspired to play for us from a young age. Put it this way - I'm living outside Galway for a number if years now, but I wouldn't dream of switching allegiances to my current place of residence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement