Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Last month I stood on the hill and roared on my beloved Clare team. It was fantastic day but today is a the jolt that's it's a game and only that.

Today a family in Galway is trying to come to terms with their loss so I know next year when I might get a little carried away, this day will be etched in the back of my mind to relax and enjoy every game I see my county play.

RIP Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Absolutely tragic news,RIP Niall.Thoughts and prayers are with his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 underfed

My condolences to Niall's family, club mates and friends. Its a shocking jolt to Kilbecanty and Galway. Ar dheis De go raibh a anam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The club finals are moved to Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

Just dreadful news altogether, what a tragedy.

Very moving tribute on the Kilbecanty site:
    As we wake this Morning we hoped that it was just a bad dream, a nightmare, that it isn’t true, it couldn’t be true. There is a cloud over Kilbeacanty, the sun came up but it did not take away the darkness. You can feel the sorrow, nearly see it. it’s totally calm even the dogs are'nt barking it’s as if they know, It’s like Kilbeacanty , Galway the Whole of Ireland, Australia and beyond is covered in a blanked of sorrowful, painful, raw, emotion. It’s so hard to believe Our Star, Our Hero, Our Idol, has been taken from us in his prime.

But Niall Donohue was so so much more than that to us He was one of us. We were and always will be so so Proud of Niall Donohue , We watch him grow knowing his potential , Watched him develop for our Club then through the ranks with Galway never not once doubting his ability just hoping he had the convection to deliver on it, and deliver he did He delivered the All Ireland U21 trophy to us and brought it back to the Parish after he manned the problem full back position, He followed this up with the Bob O Keefe cup the following year when they beat Kilkenny in the Leneister final and went on to Score the point of the match in the All Ireland Final.

But Niall was more, to his Club Kilbeacanty, Us, He was our Shining Light. The best of his generation that best many of us had ever seen wear the blue and Gold. We lost so many to emigration but as long as we had Niall we had a chance you could see the players around him grow tall just by his presence you knew you had a chance , that the opponents would find it hard to break us down if Niall was on form. Just a couple of weeks ago he gave the best individual performance ever seen by many by a Kilbeacanty Club man in Kilbeacanty colours in the County quarter final.

But Niall was more, than that he never turned us down when we wanted to do club or School functions you could have offered our young players any player in the country Joe, Henry, Tommy anyone they only ever wanted Niall , They adored him and Idolised him. He was one of Ours.

But Niall was more, how will Niall be remembered?, yes he had unbelievable talent as a hurler, yes he was unbelievable athlete, But Niall will be remembered as the shy unassuming lad he was who was happier talking to old lads in McCarthy’s or young kids at the pitch or being with his large circle of friends than being in the Spotlight.

Niall was a friend to so many, a man of few words but even people that did not know him liked him. You can feel the genuine sadness felt by people in all the comments made everywhere last night and today.

But Niall was more, Niall’s face was what drew you in. That warm Smile is etched in my mind like in so many others mind this morning and there its will stay forever. It feels like our hearts have been ripped out, but this cannot compare to the pain and suffering of Francie, Shane and Orla and all his other family members and all our thoughts and prayers are with you now.

There is a dark cloud over Kilbeacanty now and it will be there for a long time

A HURLERS PRAYER

Give me o'Lord a hurlers skill
    With strength of arm and speed of limb
    Unerring eye for the flying ball
    And courage to match them whatever befall
    May my aim be steady - my stroke be true
    My actions manly - my misses few
    And no matter what way the game may go
    May I part in friendship with every foe
    When the final whistle for me is blown
    And I stand at last at Gods Judgement Throne
    May the great Referee when he calls my name
    Say you hurled like a man, you played the game

Amen

The bed of Heaven to you Niall, you’re in your Mother arms now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Just dreadful news altogether, what a tragedy.

Very moving tribute on the Kilbecanty site:

read that earlier today very sad indeed but a fitting tribute!!

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Nearly 71000 likes on the special Facebook page set up for Niall. Tells you all about what he meant to people and how it has effected households across the country.Some outpouring of emotion and just shows that with all the rivalries throughout the GAA,how close a community it really is at such a sorrowful time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

This had a pretty big effect on me... not that I knew him, but still, it horrified me. And so, I poured some of my thoughts out into words.....

If it's deemed off-topic, then mods can delete/move it, but I feel it is somewhat relevant. It's long...but nothing that I can do about that, it's just what I felt upon hearing the news.

This is going to be long… I apologise in advance for clogging up people’s Facebook feeds. But I don’t have a blog… and this is something that I feel quite strongly about so it has to go somewhere.

Niall Donohue. An U-21 All-Ireland winner, a senior Leinster champion, an All-Star nominee, one of the top young hurlers in the country. And now he’s gone, and never will grace a hurling pitch again… or, even worse, be around to talk to his friends or family, to live his life. He’s gone.

I didn’t know him, never met him, but by all accounts, he was a sound, laidback person. In 2011, as a confident Limerickman, I was expecting to see our U-21 hurlers win an All-Ireland title, one of our most talented teams in years but our hopes were shattered in Semple Stadium by Jason Grealish, Niall Burke and Donohue himself, all who had massive games and inspired the Tribesmen to victory. He went on to be part of an All-Ireland winning team, was part of the Galway team who hammered the reigning champions Kilkenny in the 2012 Leinster final, and then took them to a replay in the All-Ireland decider. At the age of 22, his 23rd birthday today, he had already achieved so much in a sporting sense.

Gary Speed’s death was one that affected me in a huge way. A sporting legend, he was known for his longevity, holding appearance records in the Premiership before going on to do an excellent job in charge of the Wales national team. In addition to all that, he came across as a really nice guy and had just always been there… from the minute I first had an interest in football, he had been playing, always involved, a stalwart. And then he was gone. It was really weird how much it affected me, something which shook the fabric of my normal, everyday life.

How many people would wish to be in the situation of either Speed or Donohue, from the outside? Children grow up dreaming to be professional footballers or to represent their county… even now, I wish I had the talent to play sports I love at a high level. The fact that people in these seemingly privileged positions felt they had to take their own lives is simply shocking, may be hard to believe for some… but it shows that depression affects people in all walks of life.

Suicide is a sensitive subject; the fact is people do not like to talk about it. At all. In conversation, in national media, people tend to avoid saying it outright, commonly referring to “sudden death” or “tragic circumstances”. I do think that people are more educated about mental health issues than before, but there is still a long way to go. I think Irish people in general are uncomfortable talking about “feelings” and emotional issues, and there is a certain feeling that people with depression may be stigmatised in society. I am not saying that this rant/speech will help in anyway, I personally think that Facebook campaigns where you “like” to end cancer or AIDS or some other terrible illness are stupid… but if you can raise awareness and tackle these at their root cause, educate people to prevent these or to get them checked early, then that is definitely a good thing. And similarly here, if awareness can be raised for people to help those with depression, or for people suffering from it to be encouraged to turn to others, then that, without doubt, must be a good thing.

Emptiness, worthlessness, despair… these are words commonly mentioned by those who are battling depression or entertaining suicidal thoughts. The fact that some people don’t think their life is worth living is something which absolutely horrifies me. How a person can get to such a low place is something I don’t personally understand but it is something which is a lot more commonplace than people may think. I know people who have resorted to this, and suicide is something you hear about on an all-too-regular basis from everywhere. The current economic situation in the country certainly hasn’t helped and the number of suicides has risen at an alarming rate in recent years, and the number of attempts is even more worrying, particularly among young people.

It may sound like a cliché, it is something that it is said a lot, that many people may not pay attention to… but talking helps. Almost universally, people in these circumstances who have talked to friends/family/counsellors, people who have opened themselves up and related their feelings, have felt some sort of relief. It is not some sort of amazing cure-all, it doesn’t necessarily prevent suicide but it can help. Another young sport star, Cavan’s Alan O’Mara spoke about this with regard to his own battle with depression. His account is extremely moving, and would recommend everyone to read, just to educate yourself on the subject. And it’s not just about combating suicide itself, if a person’s life is such a misery that death comes at a relief, then you may very well ask yourself “What is the point?” But talking and professional help can maybe help your life become bearable once more. And life’s all we’ve got, I don’t believe that we’re supposed to suffer through it.

Realistically, I am not going to do much more than this (which is pretty much nothing). There’s no point lying to myself saying that I’m going to go out patrolling bridges and piers and attempt to talk to people (as I know some people do, I have a huge admiration for people who are willing to go to lengths to save lives). But I would like to think that if a friend or family member wanted to talk about any issues, that I would have the basic decency to listen. Even asking people if things are wrong can make a difference… of course, many suicides come as a shock even to those who knew the victim best and so this goes further. I am not the most open person myself, I can understand why people bottle up their emotions, and are afraid to talk… but in this situation, it is most certainly the right thing to do.

And so, I would appeal to people to talk if they are struggling with depression… to get even the smallest amount of relief. If even one person takes something from this, then it will be worthwhile, any life saved or improved is an unbelievably good thing… immeasurable, in fact. It’s too late to save Niall Donohue, it’s too late to save Gary Speed, it’s too late to save all the countless others who have resorted to suicide… but it’s an ongoing problem and many people are struggling with this right now.

Perhaps this would carry more weight if I knew what it was like myself… I don’t, and I’m speaking from a point of ignorance, but I felt strongly about it and had to say something. I’m not going to edit this, just pouring it all out, I guess it comes from the heart. I know it’s long and probably impossible to navigate through… but hopefully at least one person manages to struggle through.

Niall Donohue. Rest in Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭kilkenny12

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Being from Clare, when the Saffron and Blue was out of contention, we'd always shout for the Maroon
    Terrible sad news for Kilbecanty, Galway and the wider GAA family
    Sincerest condolences to his family and his club and county

Suicide is hitting all areas of society, its the first time in my memory that it came to a high profile GAA Player
    Maybe the GAA can start some kind of initiative to help young fellas before it is too late

RIP Niall Donoghue, may your hurl never break, and the sun never be in your eyes as you line out on that great hurling field in the sky

Solas síoraí ar a anam uasal

The GPA provides a counseling service for players. I thinks it's free but it's not enough is it.

RIP Niall Donoghue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

RIP Niall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

My adopted club in Galway played against cusacks minors (amalgamation Beagh and kilbeacanty-Nialls club) 08 and Niall was FB. Recall our ff being taken off after 5 mins no joke! Never seen such a domination but were actually still thankful he wasn't out the pitch so he couldn't do too much damage on the scoreboard. He was a class act and that point in the AI final 2012 (played on Galway bay today) was inspirational as they come. R.I.P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

I honestly thought we had it won then. A moment frozen in time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

Inspirational point that was, his first in the championship. A credit to the hurler he was.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oBx7ZsjziHQ&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DoBx7ZsjziHQ

27mins 45 seconds in to the video linked above is the point in question.

You'll be missed Niall, on and off the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

What was the cause of death? It isn't mentioned in any article I see. He was young. Was it that sudden adult death syndrome thing like Cormac McAnallen?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Toplink

loveBBhate wrote: »
    Inspirational point that was, his first in the championship. A credit to the hurler he was.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oBx7ZsjziHQ&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DoBx7ZsjziHQ

27mins 45 seconds in to the video linked above is the point in question.

You'll be missed Niall, on and off the pitch.

:(

Reading in today's IT that Cunningham was on the phone to him Tuesday evening setting out plans to play him at FB during the league next year.

I have to say he was the one player I was looking forward to seeing for us in 2014.

It wasn't to be for him.

There will be a dark shadow hanging over that dressing room next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Neeson wrote: »
    What was the cause of death? It isn't mentioned in any article I see. He was young. Was it that sudden adult death syndrome thing like Cormac McAnallen?

Read post 2799 above and you should figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,275 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Surely this cloak and dagger stuff re: the subject of suicide is not really helping the issue?

I heard the news of his death on the radio that morning, and assumed it was sudden death symdrome. Read a bit more about him, heard more media reports, and read some internet threads and yet I have only just found out, several days later, that he died by suicide. Its like its a dirty word. Surely we are not dishonouring his fine young man by saying he died by suicide? Yet it was not mentioned in anything I had read.

If we brush it under the carpet, afraid to mention it, then we aren't confronting it head on. And we need to in this country. There has definitely been increased media discussion about this problem in recent times, with a lot of well-known people publicly admitting they do or have suffered from depression. This helps, as it makes others now more inclined to speak out and ask for help.

Such a sad case this, a young man with the world at his feet, such a great sportsman and idol to many. But such a shame that he felt he could not seek help for his problems.

May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

Agreed.If he had died of sudden adult death syndrome we would have heard about it immediately. The stigma is still there.However,I dont think this is the place to discuss it. I hope his family can move on from this

NIMAN wrote: »
    Surely this cloak and dagger stuff re: the subject of suicide is not really helping the issue?

I heard the news of his death on the radio that morning, and assumed it was sudden death symdrome. Read a bit more about him, heard more media reports, and read some internet threads and yet I have only just found out, several days later, that he died by suicide. Its like its a dirty word. Surely we are not dishonouring his fine young man by saying he died by suicide? Yet it was not mentioned in anything I had read.

If we brush it under the carpet, afraid to mention it, then we aren't confronting it head on. And we need to in this country. There has definitely been increased media discussion about this problem in recent times, with a lot of well-known people publicly admitting they do or have suffered from depression. This helps, as it makes others now more inclined to speak out and ask for help.

Such a sad case this, a young man with the world at his feet, such a great sportsman and idol to many. But such a shame that he felt he could not seek help for his problems.

May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,275 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Agreed that maybe not best to discuss it in this thread, but when someone asks why he died and people are even afraid to type 'by suicide', it shows the stigma we still attach to the problem.

I can only hope his family and friends find strength at this time.

I would not be a follower of GAA but reading about this young fella and his qualities really made me feel how much of a loss he is going to be to so many.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

RIP Niall

Condolences to his family,friends and team mates.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 mrsq2b

It's not the stigma...unfortunately research has shown that reporting that a person died by suicide when the person is well known can often lead to copycat suicides. I think that the media have handled this fairly well (as compared with Gary speeds death in the uk). I work in the area and I think we are getting better as a nation at encouraging people to talk if feeling low and the stigma around suicide is starting to disappear, but the problem is there are scarce to no resources to support people with mental health problems, and their families, and not enough positive mental health promotion among young people. Really sad to hear about Niall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

it should'nt matter what happend him in the end, the fact that people need to know is a problem, he was a great player and thats how he shouled be remembered.

its a very sad day when people should be talking about the county final a gaa discussion page gets turned into a book of condolences!!!.......that should be enough for people to understand

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

May he rest in peace.

Great post and I fully agree.

RIP Niall.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

let the lad rest now doesnt matter what happen its a lose to his family and also
    to the men women and children who love GAA and hurling.

R.I.P. Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

May he rest in peace.

I agree, but ultimately its the family's decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Orizio wrote: »
    I agree, but ultimately its the family's decision.

With all due respect, is it? Suicide is the only manner of death that's allowed to swept under the carpet. Someone being murdered or dying from a virus is just as horrible as suicide but the basic fact of the death is not shied away from by the media. Suicide and mental disease in general isn't treated the same as other disorders and the hush-hush that the media engages in doesn't help change that.

It's less of a taboo now but it certainly isn't out in the open.

RIP to the young man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Saw the funeral coverage on the news and it's heartbreaking stuff, especially the Galway panel's guard of honour. God bless his family, friends and team-mates. I hope anybody who can possibly go to Pearse Stadium tomorrow does so as a sign of support, regardless of your interest levels in hurling. I know a lot of people feel it should be postponed longer but I believe both teams wanted to go ahead (unaware of the minor teams stance but they're playing) and credit to them.

I know there's a big discussion needed to be had on men's mental health in general at the moment and I completely understand those who feel that not mentioning the circumstances of his death is not helping remove the stigma. But there's another side to this. I can't speak for anybody else but in my life I've been touched by suicide previously and those initial days are numbing. It's an absolute compounding of emotions and feeling that you should have seen signs, which can be undetectable. We all know how he died and I believe the way the media and big names have gone about this has been the most respectful way of reporting/honouring him. Most times somebody has spoken in public about it they've alluded to circumstances but have also made sure to give details for relevant help. Gary Speed comes to mind also and his death has had a big impact on the greater public's perception of depression. This won't be forgotten soon, especially when you read the beautiful tributes painted of Niall. There's a hard slog of Winter training which is really going to be hard for the lads and from all accounts they've lost a great guy.

How did he die? Hanging? Tablets?

How did he die? Hanging? Tablets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

BullBauld wrote: »
    Read post 2799 above and you should figure it out.

Why can't you say that it was suicide?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement