Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

you were right to ask the qustion!! for sure!! but i am sure there are people that think differently from what your saying because there too stubborn or whatever,and willing to post it, just trying to shoot the down before they get the chance

Ya true, good point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

Everyone given the sad news recently I thought this article was worth putting here, a blog post by Donal Óg Cusack's brother, Conor, about his experience with depression. Well worth a read!

http://www.independent.ie/blog/depression-is-a-friend-not-my-enemy-29707558.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

loveBBhate wrote: »
    Everyone given the sad news recently I thought this article was worth putting here, a blog post by Donal Óg Cusack's brother, Conor, about his experience with depression. Well worth a read!

http://www.independent.ie/blog/depression-is-a-friend-not-my-enemy-29707558.html

Definitely

Thanks for sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Read that eariler , excellent piece of work, very impressive stuff it has to be said

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

He is on prime time tonight,talking bt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

Developments with both management teams according to the Irish Times this morning.

Former All-Star Eugene Cloonan and full-time college GAA coach Damian Curley are set to become part of Anthony Cunningham’s backroom set-up when the Galway management team for 2014 is ratified next Monday night.

But there is growing speculation that Tom Helebert, who came on board with Cunningham two seasons ago, may step down. The other member of the coaching team, Mattie Kenny, resigned following the All-Ireland qualifier loss to Clare.

Cloonan, a free-scoring forward for Galway and Athenry, has been involved with Galway underage teams since his retirement from the inter-county scene five years ago.

Curley, who is the GAA officer at Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology, won an All-Ireland club hurling championship with Kiltormer and played at several levels for Galway.

Underage teams
    He, like Cloonan, has worked with Galway underage teams and has been heavily involved in the Fitzgibbon Cup for many years.

Meanwhile, there is strong speculation that former All-Ireland senior winner Paul Clancy will be part of Alan Mulholland’s management team when the Galway football boss comes for ratification before the county committee on Monday night.

The Moycullen clubman served as a selector with Justin McNulty in Laois and more recently was manager of beaten All-Ireland club finalists Garrycastle, while he was also part of the management team as the Galway U-21s won the All-Ireland title earlier this year.

He will join Donal Ó Flatharta and victorious U-21 manager Alan Flynn, who have been on board the management team since Mulholland took charge two years ago, as the Tribesmen bid to end Mayo’s stranglehold in Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

jossnjuice wrote: »
    Developments with both management teams according to the Irish Times this morning.

Former All-Star Eugene Cloonan and full-time college GAA coach Damian Curley are set to become part of Anthony Cunningham’s backroom set-up when the Galway management team for 2014 is ratified next Monday night.

But there is growing speculation that Tom Helebert, who came on board with Cunningham two seasons ago, may step down. The other member of the coaching team, Mattie Kenny, resigned following the All-Ireland qualifier loss to Clare.

Cloonan, a free-scoring forward for Galway and Athenry, has been involved with Galway underage teams since his retirement from the inter-county scene five years ago.

Curley, who is the GAA officer at Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology, won an All-Ireland club hurling championship with Kiltormer and played at several levels for Galway.

Underage teams
    He, like Cloonan, has worked with Galway underage teams and has been heavily involved in the Fitzgibbon Cup for many years.

Meanwhile, there is strong speculation that former All-Ireland senior winner Paul Clancy will be part of Alan Mulholland’s management team when the Galway football boss comes for ratification before the county committee on Monday night.

The Moycullen clubman served as a selector with Justin McNulty in Laois and more recently was manager of beaten All-Ireland club finalists Garrycastle, while he was also part of the management team as the Galway U-21s won the All-Ireland title earlier this year.

He will join Donal Ó Flatharta and victorious U-21 manager Alan Flynn, who have been on board the management team since Mulholland took charge two years ago, as the Tribesmen bid to end Mayo’s stranglehold in Connacht.

Be great to see Paul Clancy involved-intelligent footballer and lets hope it translates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Headford into connacht jfc final after 1-11 1-7 win over cill chomain. Scrappy game with plenty of niggle. Ref was whistle happy as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

Another excellent article by him in today's Sindo: http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/conor-cusack-my-glorious-band-of-gaa-brothers-helps-keep-me-going-29722038.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

When is the minor replay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭cgc5483

h2005 wrote: »
    When is the minor replay?

Next Sunday 1pm in Athenry

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

very good game in Tuam so far, 2nd Castlebar goal now. After good start, it is going to be tough for Corofin now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Final score Castlebar 2-08 Corofin 1-10

Castlebar just about deserved it overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Corofin started like a train but good lord they missed some amount of chances early on. Think they got 4 points up alright but it should have been double that at least. They were completely dominant at that stage but the two quick goals changed the momentum of the game entirely.

Corofin's usual problem once they get out of Galway. Just not clinical enough up front. Can't kick some of the horrendous wides they did and expect to beat the better sides. Couldn't believe the one Liam Silke missed in the first half. My granny would have put it over the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Corofin's usual problem once they get out of Galway. Just not clinical enough up front. Can't kick some of the horrendous wides they did and expect to beat the better sides. Couldn't believe the one Liam Silke missed in the first half. My granny would have put it over the bar.

True. They miss too many chances and don't have a forward who you could really call a match-winner at Provincial and All-Ireland level. Gary Sice has been consistently their best forward this year and he's not exactly an out and out forward to begin with.

In fairness to Silke, while it was certainly a poor attempt it's surprising how often that happens when a player has too much time and space, that it ends up being a lazy sort of kick lacking in any real conviction. We've seen more famous names than him do similiar over the years.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    In fairness to Silke, while it was certainly a poor attempt it's surprising how often that happens when a player has too much time and space, that it ends up being a lazy sort of kick lacking in any real conviction. We've seen more famous names than him do similiar over the years.

True it's like they are almost shocked by the amount of free space and time they find themselves in and forget they still have to put the ball between the posts. Often end up fluffing it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Anyone know the result of the Minor hurling replay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭robman60

cgc5483 wrote: »
    Anyone know the result of the Minor hurling replay

Turloughmore won it 1-18 to 1-10. The scoreline makes it look far more one-sided than it actually was, and Mellows actually led for most of the game. Was 1-7 to 0-7 in favour of Mellows at half time but Conor Shaughnessy in particular led Turlough as they rallied in the second half.

Hugely disappointed for Mellows, it'll be a tough one to take particularly when they appeared to have won it the first day, c'est la vie I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Corofin were ridiculously hyped up going into this game. Fact is while they are comfortably the best team in Galway, once they step up a level they have far too many has beens, never will bes and lack the firepower to get them out of jail when they are struggling.

Castlebar deserved it fair play to them but don't see them extending their campaign too much further either.

It's been a sad indictment on Galway football these past few years that Corofin have been so dominant while at the same time haven't produced any forwards to the county panel in what is, a lean period for the County footballers.

All of their Galway players have been defenders, even Sice has played primarily as a half back though he's a good all rounder.

I can't think of any club who have dominated as much without any real core of a county forward unit in their ranks.
    You look at Portumna, they are where they are because of Canning and Hayes. This is reflected in most other counties especially at the elite end of winning numerous county titles.

• Advertisement

It's been a sad indictment on Galway football these past few years that Corofin have been so dominant while at the same time haven't produced any forwards to the county panel in what is, a lean period for the County footballers.

All of their Galway players have been defenders, even Sice has played primarily as a half back though he's a good all rounder.

I can't think of any club who have dominated as much without any real core of a county forward unit in their ranks.
    You look at Portumna, they are where they are because of Canning and Hayes. This is reflected in most other counties especially at the elite end of winning numerous county titles.

Well at least they have Ian Burke coming through now but he's still a youngster. He's just about their only forward who has a real touch of class about him though. The rest could be described as honest journeymen.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

Didn't see it all but trying to play summer football in November is not easy. Short passing in defence and hopping the ball as part of solo is a recipe for disater and a serious lack of pace all round. That said they'll be favourites again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Anyone else hear that Micheal Donoghue has joined the Tipp backroom team?

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

Former Kildare star James Kavanagh is set to revive his inter-county career by pitching in with Galway in 2014

Tribesmen football manager Alan Mulholland has confirmed that Kavanagh (28), who is now living in the county, has joined his squad for gym training ahead of pre-season training, which starts for them later this month.

Kavanagh left Kildare prior to last season when he felt he couldn't give full commitment to Kieran McGeeney's panel.

Kavanagh's wife was expecting a baby at the time and a move to Galway, where they were building a house, was imminent.

He subsequently moved from his club Ballymore Eustace to Milltown, who he played with in this year's Galway club championship.

But at the time he distanced himself from speculation linking him to Mulholland's Galway squad.

After a year living in Galway now, he is ready to commit to them and Mulholland is looking forward to working with him.

"James has been in with us doing some gym work and we're delighted to have him," he confirmed.

"He's happy to give it a go with us."

Mulholland added that Kavanagh has been suffering from a knee injury, which was bothering him towards the end of his Kildare career.

"It's minor enough but provided that doesn't bother him... he's looking forward to it," added Mulholland.

Kavanagh was one of Kildare's most prolific forwards during the early part of McGeeney's time and developed a reputation for scoring spectacular points.

He was educated in St Jarlath's Tuam and captained the senior team during his time there, playing in the epic 2002 All-Ireland semi-final and replay against Jack O'Connor's Colaiste na Sceilge which they won before eventually being crowned Hogan Cup champions.

Kavanagh developed a good rapport with Michael Meehan that season and Galway supporters will hope that can be reignited 12 years on. He joins Galway at a time when Mulholland has changed his back-room team, with Donal O Fatharta stepping down for personal reasons and Alan Flynn concentrating exclusively on the U-21s.

Former All-Ireland winners Declan Meehan and Paul Clancy, who was previously a selector under Justin McNulty at Laois for a year, replace them.

Another interesting addition is Brian Talty, the former Galway midfielder who was an integral part of Paul Caffrey's management team in Dublin from 2005-08. Talty has agreed to come on board to work with Galway's Dublin-based players.

Former Galway manager Liam Sammon will act in an advisory capacity to the management along with Martin Conroy.

Some very decent coaches getting on board this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Oh the irony of Kildare losing a player to another county.

Always though Kavanagh was a fine player with Kildare. Probably their best scoring forward after Johnny Doyle. Maybe a bit inconsistent but could kick scores from any distance or angle when on his game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Tidy addition. That said I think people's perceptions of the forwards are lot higher after the Armagh and Cork games.

Just on Talty's job: there's 4 players in Dublin on my count. Am I missing more? I know FOC, Tom Flynn, POG are in college and Denvir is teaching.

Decent acquisition for ye.

Backs are ye're issue though. We had it awful easy running through ye in Pearse and even Cork found far too many gaps and created way too many goal chances in Croker that day. The positive was the longer the champ went on the better the Conroy/Flynn partnership became. And ye've no shortage of forward options coming through.

I think ye should throw in a good share of the under 21's altogether during the league. The likes of Eoin Walsh, James Shaughnessy, Mulryan into the backs, Comer, Moran half forwards and Walsh, Ian Burke, Connor Rabbitte and Garry Kelly FF line. Not in the one starting 15 but try them all in different games. Ye don't really have anything to lose. Ye'd a good qualifier run this year tbh but ye could easily have lost to Waterford. It's time to rebuild and perhaps be in a position to be winning a Connacht champ in 2/3 years. The problem obviously is Mayo but ye should be putting yerselves at least in the position to be knocking on the top 8 door and be a serious match for anyone in qualifiers and even AI QF

For the next few years ye should be aiming for August bank hol and at the very least the last 12

Centre back is a problem though and I can't really think of anyone to solve it? Is it time to just put the faith in Duane or maybe even Joss Moore to grow into the position? Ye should leave Sice to 10 and Gary O'Donnell is better out the wing really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Kavanagh will do well for Galway. I always thought McGeeney never really trusted him on the forty which was his best position. He always had the vision and range of passing to lead an attack from centre forward.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement