Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Any word on the pitch inspection for today? Would have awful sympathy if people are travelling from Derry only for it to be called off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Stanza2 wrote: »
    I think that you are all being way too pessimistic. Remember that Galway were U21 champions but two years ago. They are not as bad as some of you are making out.

Being U-21 champions means feck all. If that meant anything we'd have won a lot more hurling All-Irelands than we have.

Armstrong has to start showing that he is the player of old and that he has come back from his injuries, the same applies to Meehan,

When has Armstrong ever been 'the player of old' ? He has always promised more than he delivered. I know injuries haven't helped in fairness, but he hasn't really sparkled at senior level the way he did at underage.

And the severity of Meehan's injury means that he'll probably never be the same player again. He's admitted himself that the ankle will restrict him a bit, that he'll have to be carefull with it. But even at 80% he'll still be better than most of what we have.

Coleman has to show his strength and skills to be more than he has to date.

Coleman has never really delivered at this level. A couple of good performances aside, he has never looked like an intercounty midfielder. He's an ordinary footballer.

Now if you think all this is pessimistic then fair enough, I would call it simply being realistic. There are players in this Galway panel that aren't even particularly good club footballers yet they're the best we have. Anyone who has watched Galway's club championship over the last couple of years will know why we're in the mess we're in, it's dire stuff. The reality is that what we have in the county panel is basically the best of a very ordinary bunch.

edit: game gone ahead

Just back but jaysus it was poor stuff. Conditions were bad and I've never seen Pearse Stadium's pitch in such horrid nick. Good first half but there were 3 great goal chances. If Denvir scored that goal I would have exploded.

Thought Martin did well and Meehan's ball into Armstrong in the first 5 minutes was special. Hanley had an absolute battle with Bradley who was absolutely dirty. The midfield partnership of Coleman and O'Curraoin was torn a sunder in that second half. Cummins really is lethal and I'd be optimistic about his future in maroon and white.

A very defensive shape too in the first half and they'd alternate Denvir around the place. Meehan was in the fullback line though at one stage and you'd wonder why. Joe Canning doesn't even pull it off.

All-in-all it was a vital win but you'd worry big time for the Mayo match.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

Sound Aidan ! Lets just agree that they are the best that we have and let them get on with it. I don't see us winning an all Ireland anytime soon, but I do think that winning an U21 is a great achievement and we just have to go with the flow. The optimism comes from the feeling that this is a new start for once, particularly with Bergin and PJ gone, great players that they were. Hand it over to the young lads and let them get on with it.

Meehan was great today stepped up and took charge and Cummins has speed that would put fear into anyone, just as good providing and creating space. Good to start with a W.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Ballinasloe's trip to Croke Park next Saturday for the Junior Club Final has been put on hold as neither Castleknock or Kenmare continue to show any interest in winning their semi final ;) having drawn their replay after extra time yesterday.

Their next replay is set for next Saturday with the venue yet to be announced.

So the the date and venue for the final is yet to be decided.

Sadly for Ballinasloe and their supporters it looks unlikely that they will have their day out in Croker as the game will probably be moved to a small neutral venue.

Not that that will matter when the lads are carrying the cup across the river Suck ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

Can someone tell me a little more about the debutants, and their background? In particular what clubs are O'Brien and Denvir from? Outta the country at the moment so don't hear as much about the underage/club scene

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

o brien is clifden and denvir is micheal breathnachs.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

Was at the game today. Difficult to read too much into it as due to the recent weather the conditions for football were very bad, however there were some positives. The team put up a good score, great to see Meehan back and he showed his class, Armstrong and Cummins did well also. Martin started well, but faded later on. The subs all did well when they came on (mostly old team). Some of the new lads that started did ok for periods.
    now for the bad stuff
    The crowd; I would estimate at around 600-700, shows that Galway football is at a very low ebb. Also we were well beaten around midfield and this is a major problem the county has. Derry were very slow starters so the good score Galway put up might flatter us, just like the game against Roscommon in the championship last year was not a true reflection on there ability.
    However it was great to get off to a win, and if they could get another next week it would be a big confidence builder.

Was at the game today. Difficult to read too much into it as due to the recent weather the conditions for football were very bad, however there were some positives. The team put up a good score, great to see Meehan back and he showed his class, Armstrong and Cummins did well also. Martin started well, but faded later on. The subs all did well when they came on (mostly old team). Some of the new lads that started did ok for periods.
    now for the bad stuff
    The crowd; I would estimate at around 600-700, shows that Galway football is at a very low ebb. Also we were well beaten around midfield and this is a major problem the county has. Derry were very slow starters so the good score Galway put up might flatter us, just like the game against Roscommon in the championship last year was not a true reflection on there ability.
    However it was great to get off to a win, and if they could get another next week it would be a big confidence builder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭MfMan

Goalie Breathnach not too bad, but thought he might vary his kickouts a bit, and try to get a bit more length into them also. Hanley good first half but had Duane, (also quite good), spare in the first half beside him which helped a lot. Joss Moore played instead of O'Neill and didn't either stand out or look too bad. HB line good in the first half (surprisingly against the breeze), but poor in the second, and it needed the introduction of Gary O'Donnell after half-time to steady things a bit, (ever think I'd write that?) Sice not a good stopper at all. Midfield only middling all through and very poor in 2nd half, even though Coleman did several good things going forward. Wing-forwards struggled to assert themselves, though Denvir had a great run and nearly scored a super goal. O'Brien found the going tougher. (When did a Clifden lad last make a senior start for Galway?) Martin, like the home side in general, good in the first half, bad in the 2nd, did some awful stupid things with the ball after HT. Armie' middling but always involved; Cummins' finishing terrible, his miss one-on-one with the goalie was unforgivable. Just not good enough at this level. Meehan the class act as usual on the pitch, astute in possession and distribution and sure in finishing. At least the subs gave the necessary fillip when introduced with the game slipping away from Galway. O'Donnell's strength on the ball and Conroy's proper use of possession steadied the ship.

In fairness a better start than I was expecting but there'll be better teams than Derry in the division and we had a good start last year also.

• Advertisement

Stanza2 wrote: »
    Sound Aidan ! Lets just agree that they are the best that we have and let them get on with it. I don't see us winning an all Ireland anytime soon, but I do think that winning an U21 is a great achievement and we just have to go with the flow. The optimism comes from the feeling that this is a new start for once, particularly with Bergin and PJ gone, great players that they were. Hand it over to the young lads and let them get on with it.

Meehan was great today stepped up and took charge and Cummins has speed that would put fear into anyone, just as good providing and creating space. Good to start with a W.

I admire your optimism and winning today was good, but it's baby steps at this stage I think.

wonder88 wrote: »
    Also we were well beaten around midfield and this is a major problem the county has.
    MfMan wrote: »
    Midfield only middling all through and very poor in 2nd half, even though Coleman did several good things going forward.

This problem just goes on and on, and it won't be solved by picking the same players that have failed over and over. I hate to slag lads that are making a genuine effort but I've said it before and I'll say it again that Niall Coleman is not an intercounty midfielder. I had hopes for O'Curraoin but he was actually even worse in the second half. If they're the best we have then fair enough but if they are then Galway football is in a bad place.

On the plus side it's a win, albeit against a poor Derry team, and there were good performances from Cummins and Martin, and great to see Meehan back to something near his best. But midfield is still a major problem, as is the half back line, and you'd have to be fearful for the Mayo game, they're streets ahead of us at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

I hate to slag lads that are making a genuine effort but I've said it before and I'll say it again that Niall Coleman is not an intercounty midfielder.

I'm not a fan of Coleman either, but you should offer some alternatives if you are stating that he is not an inter-county player. To be honest, I cannot think of many....And this is a reflection of the poor state of Galway football at the moment.

We simply do not have the players.

I'm not a fan of Coleman either, but you should offer some alternatives if you are stating that he is not an inter-county player. To be honest, I cannot think of many....And this is a reflection of the poor state of Galway football at the moment.

We simply do not have the players.

In fairness I did say that the players that are there are for the most part the best of what we have. I'm not denying that, just saying that it shows Galway football in a poor light when we have to keep going back to the likes of Niall Coleman because we don't have anything better. I think that Robert Hughes of Menlough is a better footballer than either Coleman or O'Curraoin but whether he has the application and dedication for county football is another matter. Seems not. Nicky is another that fits into that category, talent to burn but just hasn't the interest. In fairness I don't blame them too much because playing for Galway is hardly a hugely attractive proposition at the moment, much as it's great to wear the county jersey we're at a low ebb right now and it's a bit of a thankless job in many ways.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    In fairness I did say that the players that are there are for the most part the best of what we have. I'm not denying that, just saying that it shows Galway football in a poor light when we have to keep going back to the likes of Niall Coleman because we don't have anything better. I think that Robert Hughes of Menlough is a better footballer than either Coleman or O'Curraoin but whether he has the application and dedication for county football is another matter. Seems not. Nicky is another that fits into that category, talent to burn but just hasn't the interest. In fairness I don't blame them too much because playing for Galway is hardly a hugely attractive proposition at the moment, much as it's great to wear the county jersey we're at a low ebb right now and it's a bit of a thankless job in many ways.

It may indeed be thankless but all concerned just have to keep at it. The likes of Kevin Walsh, Gary Fahy, Tom Mannion, Sean Og, Ja, Ray Silke, Niall Finnegan, Damien Mitchell etc. had a lot of bad days before things started to turn in '95.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

MfMan wrote: »
    It may indeed be thankless but all concerned just have to keep at it. The likes of Kevin Walsh, Gary Fahy, Tom Mannion, Sean Og, Ja, Ray Silke, Niall Finnegan, Damien Mitchell etc. had a lot of bad days before things started to turn in '95.

True, but they were all better players than most of what we have now, and then you had a sort of 'golden generation' that came along in 97/98 with Donnellan, Joyce, Savage etc to complement the older heads like Walsh and De Paor. It's clear that you need that calibre of players to be All-Ireland contenders and I guess we just have to accept that they aren't really there at the moment. All I'd hope is that Mulholland can get the very best out of the players we have got, something a succession of Galway managers have failed to do in recent years. We went seriously backwards during the Kernan/O Flatharta years so in fairness AM has a tough job on his hands. Win a qualifier or two would be progress at this stage.

While Kernan may ostensibly have walked over Board interference / non-endorsement of his backroom team (or for other reasons also!), I think he in particular over-estimated the calibre of players available to him. He must surely have wondered how he got stuck with some of the ones he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Team's better off without players who aren't willing to give 100% anyway. It's about pride in the jersey and pride in yourself. Much rather a team of 15 grafters who'll give 100% than a team of Nicky Joyces or the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Always better off to have players with pride and desire. Some people would have given anything to play in their county colours. Go with what we have and support them, even if we are not going to win anything this year, I just want to see progress...... and desire.

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Team's better off without players who aren't willing to give 100% anyway. It's about pride in the jersey and pride in yourself. Much rather a team of 15 grafters who'll give 100% than a team of Nicky Joyces or the likes.

I agree entirely that you need lads that are 100% committed first and foremost, then you need a manager who can get the best out of them, in terms of motivation, instilling that desire in them and then coming up with a gameplan that suits the type of players you have.

Look at Donegal, they're not necessarily blessed with that many great footballers, but Jim McGuinness turned them into an absolute machine. Superbly fit, brilliantly well organised and focused to the point of near-obsession. Just shows what a good manager can do even with a group of footballers who aren't all technically gifted (when you think where they were a few years ago with the drinking/indiscipline etc).

So even though we aren't blessed with the greatest group of footballers we've ever had, there's enough ability there for Galway to be doing a bit better than we have been. Our record in the qualifiers is shameful and it's a shocking stat that we haven't won a game in Croke Park for going on 12 years.

Speaking of Nicky Joyce, in fairness I know Mulholland did his best with him. Gave him every chance but Nicky has never really had his heart in it which is a pity because he had the natural ability to be one of the best forwards in the game if he really wanted it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Nicky is a depressing case really. A guy with all the ability in the world but none of the application or dedication. Given his talent he should be the main man in the Galway team now alongside Meehan. On his day Nicky is almost as good as any intercounty forward in the country but notably there have been no big calls to bring him back this year. I think people realise he's had so many chances at this stage that the penny isn't going to drop. You can train a footballer to improve his skills but you can't do anything if the desire just isn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Look at Donegal, they're not necessarily blessed with that many great footballers,
    Nothing but a myth. Donegal had a fine group of players before McGuiness came in. I don't think Galway have anyone from the midfield on (bar Meehan who is ravaged with injuries) who is genuine class. It's going to be a long road back to becoming a side who can even challenge again. We simply do not have the players.

Nicky is one of those surprisingly rare cases IMO. A good portion of these guys' lives are spent training, playing and keeping off the gargle and fast-food. It's a lot to ask to give up, and that's just for the younger lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

Here's hoping for personal reasons St Thomas' can do it tommorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Nicky is one of those surprisingly rare cases IMO. A good portion of these guys' lives are spent training, playing and keeping off the gargle and fast-food. It's a lot to ask to give up, and that's just for the younger lads.

No doubt that it's his own life to live. I won't have a go at him for doing whatever he wants to do. I would find it pretty tough going myself.

Just a pity to see a lad who you know is very talented and not really reach his potential.

Agree with THFC. Donegal had a decent group of footballers to pick from when McGuinness took over. McGuinness has done a great job, but like when John O Mahaoney took over Galway there was some good talent there to work with. Last sunday was a good start and if it can be followed up with another win against Louth it will built confidence. However there is a serious problem around the middle of the field and I have not seen any progress made here by Mullholland so far. There is also a problem in the fullback area that needs to be sorted. An all-Ireland q/f would be a good achievement(target) for Galway this year. We have one class player in Meehan and if the 2 areas that I have mentioned could be improved that target could be achieved. The improvement might be achieved by changing players or by a change of tactics/style of play. Hope the management can find some solutions.

Thomas' were so close to winning today. Conor Cooney hopefully can put the All-Ireland final behind him and progress into a quality forward. Watson's free at the end was something else.

Thomas' were so close to winning today. Conor Cooney hopefully can put the All-Ireland final behind him and progress into a quality forward. Watson's free at the end was something else.

Their forward play in general was shocking.
    And while I agree he was the man of the match, I'm sorry to say his spinning shot over the shoulder is probably the best example to sum up their lack of attacking cohesion. You could see a man in space standing a few yards behind him.
    Instead he decided to spin and hit it with 3 defenders in close proximity.

Not using that as a indication he had a poor game, but more it's the best example of how their forward unit played as individuals which lead to about 15 points being left behind.
    The forwards last contribution to a phase was normally to give a silly free away instead of making the defenders clear aimless ball under pressure.

If they can do some work on their attacking movement, support and decision making they'll take the replay handy IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭paul08

i suppose 7 points from play and 2 sidelines isnt enough, also care to mention when he gave a hand pass to bernard burke despite him being in the scoring zone himself surely constitutes good team play?

• Advertisement

I agree he was the man of the match

Not using that as a indication he had a poor game, but more it's the best example of how their forward unit played as individuals which lead to about 15 points being left behind.
    paul08 wrote: »
    i suppose 7 points from play and 2 sidelines isnt enough, also care to mention when he gave a hand pass to bernard burke despite him being in the scoring zone himself surely constitutes good team play?

:rolleyes: .... Need I say anymore?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement