Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭MfMan

Louth match in Drogheda off, pitch unplayable apparently.

Their forward play in general was shocking.
    And while I agree he was the man of the match, I'm sorry to say his spinning shot over the shoulder is probably the best example to sum up their lack of attacking cohesion. You could see a man in space standing a few yards behind him.
    Instead he decided to spin and hit it with 3 defenders in close proximity.

Not using that as a indication he had a poor game, but more it's the best example of how their forward unit played as individuals which lead to about 15 points being left behind.
    The forwards last contribution to a phase was normally to give a silly free away instead of making the defenders clear aimless ball under pressure.

If they can do some work on their attacking movement, support and decision making they'll take the replay handy IMO.

Can't agree with forward play being shocking; there were at least several instances where they combined well to score, e.g. Regan's pass to David Burke later in the game. Tom's are actually exceptionally good in this dept. normally, the wet conditions mitigated against this type of play for the most part however. Don't understand the criticism of Cooney either, for a still-young man he was quite excellent, and hopefully his performance bodes well for the county side in the future, probably a superior player to Niall Burke.

I agree though with Tom's lack of discipline, including all the carry-on after they win a free, no need for it, it just gets them into bother. This is where a top manager is needed to step in and lay down the law. I hope John Burke isn't too close to the team that he fails to recognise this.

MfMan wrote: »
    Can't agree with forward play being shocking; there were at least several instances where they combined well to score, e.g. Regan's pass to David Burke later in the game. Tom's are actually exceptionally good in this dept. normally, the wet conditions mitigated against this type of play for the most part however. Don't understand the criticism of Cooney either, for a still-young man he was quite excellent, and hopefully his performance bodes well for the county side in the future, probably a superior player to Niall Burke.

I agree though with Tom's lack of discipline, including all the carry-on after they win a free, no need for it, it just gets them into bother. This is where a top manager is needed to step in and lay down the law. I hope John Burke isn't too close to the team that he fails to recognise this.

I never criticised Cooney.
    I wanted to pick one example from the match that highlighted how the forwards seemed to be playing for themselves.
    This wasn't a criticism of him or any other player but the perceived lack of co-ordination/poor execution(notable others being Bernard Burkes wide when he should have kept running at the defence to aid his strength i.e speed and strength and also Murrays lazy finish from the goal chance) which I'd put down to their forward trainers.

Another example you could use would be the amount of wild shots that were hit from the wing, great when they go over but they're very low % chances.

I agree on the discipline as I previously stated, it put their backs on further pressure and with a better free taker could have resulted in a loss.
    The last 3/4 minutes of extra time were wasted fouling and time wasting, resulting in extra yards being continuously given up.
    This was their downfall in the end, as those extra 10yards helped that second last free make its way into their full back line instead of the half back.

I'm not having a go at the players here at all, and as I said previously I thought Cooney had a fine game.
    But the organisation and tactics kept Loughiel in the game IMO.
    Hopefully they can work on those issues and win the replay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Lapin wrote: »
    Ballinasloe's trip to Croke Park next Saturday for the Junior Club Final has been put on hold as neither Castleknock or Kenmare continue to show any interest in winning their semi final ;) having drawn their replay after extra time yesterday.

Their next replay is set for next Saturday with the venue yet to be announced.

So the the date and venue for the final is yet to be decided.

Sadly for Ballinasloe and their supporters it looks unlikely that they will have their day out in Croker as the game will probably be moved to a small neutral venue.

Not that that will matter when the lads are carrying the cup across the river Suck ! :)

An update on the above.

Ballinasloe meet Kenmare in the final.

The match has been provisionally fixed for 2pm in Croke Park. Sunday 24th February. :)

Best of luck to the lads !

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

any idea what else is on the card that day??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

jossnjuice wrote: »
    any idea what else is on the card that day??

Dublin - Offally is the only other thing on that weekend, and they're in Parnell Park on Saturday night. We might see that switched to Croke Park for a double header (Killimor are down as a curtain raiser for Dublin - Mayo on the 2nd march for the senior camogie final) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

antoobrien wrote: »
    Dublin - Offally is the only other thing on that weekend, and they're in Parnell Park on Saturday night. We might see that switched to Croke Park for a double header (Killimor are down as a curtain raiser for Dublin - Mayo on the 2nd march for the senior camogie final) .

Think I heard on radio that Ballinasloe game will be curtain raiser to railway cup match.

Think I heard on radio that Ballinasloe game will be curtain raiser to railway cup match.

A little digging around on the gaa fixtures page confirms that (page is buggy as hell though, annoyingly hard to find stuff).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

A little digging around on the gaa fixtures page confirms that (page is buggy as hell though, annoyingly hard to find stuff).

Yeah, proceeds of gate going to Crumlin Hospital, seems good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭24yearslater

Thomas's match switched to Clones on sat @ 2pm. Parnell Park pitch unplayable. Don't think it's on the box thou - afaik the football semis are both live on tg4 that day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

What the fcuk is wrong with them, surely they know people prefer a bit of the small ball action than big ball this time of year. There is precious little hurling broadcast anyway, try and promote the game guys. This game could be a classic, two really good hurling teams. Cop on GAA, get this game on the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

The GAA website is annoyingly crap in general.

nagirrac wrote: »
    What the fcuk is wrong with them, surely they know people prefer a bit of the small ball action than big ball this time of year. There is precious little hurling broadcast anyway, try and promote the game guys. This game could be a classic, two really good hurling teams. Cop on GAA, get this game on the box.

In fairness TG4 were already committed to showing the two football semi finals. Though I don't see why the St.Thomas v Loughgiel game couldn't have been fixed for Sunday and let TG4 show it then. I know the interprovincial games are on Sunday but I don't know if TG4 are showing any of that, the programme listings on their website are mixed up (they have the football semis on Saturday and Sunday).

But am I the only one who really couldn't care less about the interpro games at this stage? They have no profile, no prestige, no tv coverage in recent years, and a lot of lads can't be bothered to even play in it. If it was an animal it would be taken to the vet and gently put to sleep at this stage.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    In fairness TG4 were already committed to showing the two football semi finals. Though I don't see why the St.Thomas v Loughgiel game couldn't have been fixed for Sunday and let TG4 show it then. I know the interprovincial games are on Sunday but I don't know if TG4 are showing any of that, the programme listings on their website are mixed up (they have the football semis on Saturday and Sunday).

I've my suspicions that the 5.30/5.45 thrown in on Saturday was for TG4, but the match had to be moved because of the pitch in parnell park.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I've my suspicions that the 5.30/5.45 thrown in on Saturday was for TG4, but the match had to be moved because of the pitch in parnell park.

You're probably right, I did think the timing was a bit unusual when I saw it first.

Shame it won't be on TV as the drawn game was one of the best games I've seen in a while. There isn't much between these two teams and it could go down to the wire again. Rare to see a hurling game in Clones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Well done St Thomas it could have gone any way at half time but they bossed the second half.
    B burke had a fantastic game he was impossible to mark and took some great points. He had a sideline cut waved wide in the 12th minute that looked to be between the posts on the telly. (I think it was him that took it anyway)
    Its great to have a Galway team in Croke park on St Patricks day again, hopefully they can win the big one

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

1 Fergal Flannery
    2 Johnny Coen
    3 Kevin Hynes
    4 Fergal Moore
    5 Niall Donoghue
    6 Joseph Cooney
    7 David Collins
    8 Iarla Tannian
    9 Aidan Harte
    10 Jonathan Glynn
    11 Niall Burke
    12 Davy Glennon
    13 Niall Healy
    14 Joe Canning
    15 Damien Hayes

Strong enough team for Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Grats

That's a serious looking Galway team - should be well capable of taking what should be a depleted Cats outfit. And god knows Galway owe them one. Rumour has it that JC is still nursing an injury but even without him Galway can chalk this one down.

nootroc wrote: »
    1 Fergal Flannery
    2 Johnny Coen
    3 Kevin Hynes
    4 Fergal Moore
    5 Niall Donoghue
    6 Joseph Cooney
    7 David Collins
    8 Iarla Tannian
    9 Aidan Harte
    10 Jonathan Glynn
    11 Niall Burke
    12 Davy Glennon
    13 Niall Healy
    14 Joe Canning
    15 Damien Hayes

Reasonably strong. Bit surprised at no. 1, had thought Callanan was forcing his way ahead in the pecking order. Guess Shane Kavanagh just isn't far enough yet along the comeback trail for inclusion. Young Joe at no. 6 is rumoured to be going very well, Sunday will be a good test. He has neither bad hands or a bad head, (he couldn't have!), but whether he has the presence, drive and power, it will be interesting to find out. Current management seem to see a lot in him anyway and CHB must be up for grabs this year. Harte another comeback man at midfield also going quite well, probably a bit better hurler than Smith, but midfield is definitely an area earmarked for improvement this year. Brehony or Kevin Hynes later on? Forwards still don't look quite balanced. Both Glynn and particularly Burke need to push on this year. Glennon and Hayes a bit too alike for long term selection together I think - will the latter last the season? Niall Healy gets yet another chance. Always a skillful player but does he have the power or desire to really nail down a place?

I'm sure Sunday will provide a lot of pointers, can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

nootroc wrote: »
    1 Fergal Flannery
    2 Johnny Coen
    3 Kevin Hynes
    4 Fergal Moore
    5 Niall Donoghue
    6 Joseph Cooney
    7 David Collins
    8 Iarla Tannian
    9 Aidan Harte
    10 Jonathan Glynn
    11 Niall Burke
    12 Davy Glennon
    13 Niall Healy
    14 Joe Canning
    15 Damien Hayes

A strong team out, I thought it was only a sparing match?
    How much are the tickets ?
    A cold but dry day promised, maybe it will be as good as the rest of the country expects.
    Hope so but doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Big big opportunity for Flannery and Harte. Are Healy and Canning still carrying injuries though?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Best of Luck to Ballinasloe in the All Ireland Junior Club Football Final on Sunday. Croke Park 2 pm. €10.

Sweet Jesus the ship is sinking fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Very bad loss today. After they got back level at the end of the first half I would've expected them to make a good go of the second half and probably win it. Sounds like a right collapse in the last 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Galway will need to improve before the Mayo game in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

I have been attending Galway Fotball matches since the the late 70's, and I have never been as despondent at the state of Galway football as I am at present. I really fear for our future. I sincerly hope i am wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

Ps this is not a go at the present management as I would have picked mulholland as manager its lack of resources available to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

Good start to the league today, will take a win over the Cats anytime. Thought 1 through 7 were excellent and made very few mistakes, with the huge bonus of no goal conceded. Joseph Cooney needs to be given an extended run now at CB. Worrying that just like in both AI finals we do not create enogh point scoring chances. Davy Glennon is some bit of stuff, still getting stuck in at the 70th minute. Peach of a goal from Damien Hayes, left Tommy Walsh chasing his shadow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Pocaide wrote: »
    Ps this is not a go at the present management as I would have picked mulholland as manager its lack of resources available to him.

I don't know, three All Ireland underage winning teams (2005,2007,2011) from the last 8 years to choose from better resources than most counties.

On another note Ballinasloe won the all ireland junior title today 14-10 v Kenmare congrats to them.

Felt Harte was good today, which is very important. Himself and Haran need to be given a bit of experience in this League, just look at how it's brought on Donoghue and Coen. I'd say even Tony Óg was happy at how good Cooney was at 6.

All the usual suspects had great games today up in the forwards. Hayes and his turn on Walsh was worth admission fee alone. Nice to see Healy back as I felt he should have made an appearance in both AI's when Galway were dying for somebody up at forward with experience when Canning was dragged to halfback.

Only worry I'd have is that despite how dominant they were while giving easy frees away that kept KK one swing away from a draw in injury time.

Still a good day at the office and here's hoping there'll be no relegation PO this season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭TBP

Tannion wasn't at the races at all in the first half and as rightfully taken off. Haran offering something different settled things when he came on. Canning was the difference today though, he played 3 lovely balls up to the forwards which all ended up in the back of the net. Cooney had a great game as well as did Glennon who scored a lovely point from out near the half way line in the 2nd half. Like Diabhal Beag alluded to Galways discipline could have been a bit better though and could do with been sorted out, saying that I thought the ref was atrocious today. Good job KK were as bad in converting some of the handy frees he gave them. Overall a good win for Galway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement