Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭MattressRick

kala85 wrote: »
    Standard of refereeing this year has been absolutely shocking.

And unfortunately it looks like James Mcgrath will probably get the all Ireland.

I have never ever seen a referee throw in a ball when only one team was represented in the throw in as happened in the second half.

Yeah that was a disgrace today when he just threw it to Galvin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

A few points from today.

- Fair play to Michael Donoghue, got a lot of slack for tactics last week but got it spot on today. Joe Cooney excellent moved to the backs, puck out strategy worked well, moving Whelan out the field worked very well.

- Skehill. Major doubts over him all year. Made a massive save when it mattered from Shanagher. Albeit fortunate that the second ball came off the post.

- Canning. Just different class. The best I have ever seen and probably will ever see. Things like scores from sidelines are things we take for granted because he does it so often.

- Winning when not at full tilt is a great sign, Kilkenny did it for years. Alot of lads still have an extra 10-15% in them and hopefully Mac to come back in.

Roll on the 19th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

threeball wrote: »
    His post is far from delusional. Padraic Mannion was fouled heavily twice within 5 seconds and got nothing, Clare turned the ball over and scored.

His brother was on the 14m line, again fouled heavily, passed to Niall Burke who was fouled but managed to put it over. Had he missed the ref had not gestured for either of the two previous incidents.

Conor Cooney collected the ball on the 21, was obviously fouled but managed to pivot and strike off balance and score. Again the ref had seen nothing wrong.

I could list 10 more blatant and heavy fouls that Galway couldn't buy a free for. Alot when Galway had the upper hand and if they had got them they would have been out of sight by half time.

No fault of Clares, fair play to them they fought back well but Horgan was a huge factor in that comeback.

If you can name that many, why did you pick two where ye scored anyway? That blatantly had no impact on the scoreline?

Regarding delusional, comment may be harsh but I have an issue with someone saying he kept them in the game giving them soft frees which can be "scored" anywhere on the field yet the stats don't bare that out at all. Anyway, I'll say no more on the ref. What did you make of the teams performance?

Think myself they are showing signs of fatigue, hitting the ground running early but fading and struggling to get back to the pace they've been setting early on. Still not been beaten obviously, just expect more from the calibre of player ye have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

His post is far from delusional. Padraic Mannion was fouled heavily twice within 5 seconds and got nothing, Clare turned the ball over and scored.

His brother was on the 14m line, again fouled heavily, passed to Niall Burke who was fouled but managed to put it over. Had he missed the ref had not gestured for either of the two previous incidents.

Conor Cooney collected the ball on the 21, was obviously fouled but managed to pivot and strike off balance and score. Again the ref had seen nothing wrong.

I could list 10 more blatant and heavy fouls that Galway couldn't buy a free for. Alot when Galway had the upper hand and if they had got them they would have been out of sight by half time.

No fault of Clares, fair play to them they fought back well but Horgan was a huge factor in that comeback.

If you can name that many, why did you pick two where ye scored anyway? That blatantly had no impact on the scoreline?

Regarding delusional, comment may be harsh but I have an issue with someone saying he kept them in the game giving them soft frees which can be "scored" anywhere on the field yet the stats don't bare that out at all. Anyway, I'll say no more on the ref. What did you make of the teams performance?

Think myself they are showing signs of fatigue, hitting the ground running early but fading and struggling to get back to the pace they've been setting early on. Still not been beaten obviously, just expect more from the calibre of player ye have.
    again momentum going into last 5 minutes 4 up or 1 up is a huge difference the ref had a material difference on the game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Galway were the better team today, thought canning and whelan in the forwards played well while daithi cleaned conlon and cooney held his own in the backs.

I think the galway crowd are making to much of the ref to be honest, he was poor for both sides but that is what happens when he tries to let the game flow.

Any talk about how lucky burke is to be playing in the final, he hit a very dirty shoulder to the face of a defenseless clare player near the end of the game today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

Galway were the better team today, thought canning and whelan in the forwards played well while daithi cleaned conlon and cooney held his own in the backs.

I think the galway crowd are making to much of the ref to be honest, he was poor for both sides but that is what happens when he tries to let the game flow.

Any talk about how lucky burke is to be playing in the final, he hit a very dirty shoulder to the face of a defenseless clare player near the end of the game today.

Burke was very lucky. It should really be a red card but I've seem similar tackles all year and they are just giving out yellows for them as well.

Also the game was over at that stage, it just would have really suspended him for the all Ireland.

However when I think back didn't he commit a similar foul in pearse stadium on a kilkenny player

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭threeball

I picked those because they stood out like a sore thumb. Everyone, from the crowd booing to commentators wondering if an ambulance came on to the pitch would Galway get a free, saw how blatant and persistent the fouling was and he just ignored it.

I thought they looked tired after 30 mins today but held out magnificently. But I don't think that will be an issue in two weeks. Galway haven't given a 70min performance all year and I find it hard to believe the entire season will pass without it all clicking once. They have the most talented team in the land with at least 4 of the team playing well below par. Today will give joe Cooney a huge confidence boost. If Conor Cooney can find form and Mc is back in the mix I wouldn't back against them.

kala85 wrote: »
    Burke was very lucky. It should really be a red card but I've seem similar tackles all year and they are just giving out yellows for them as well.

Also the game was over at that stage, it just would have really suspended him for the all Ireland.

However when I think back didn't he commit a similar foul in pearse stadium on a kilkenny player

You've got your Burkes mixed up. David hit today's shoulder to the head. Daithi met Walter Walsh in Pearse with a challenge to the chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

You've got your Burkes mixed up. David hit today's shoulder to the head. Daithi met Walter Walsh in Pearse with a challenge to the chest.

OK fair enough. I'll have to look back on it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭obi604

What’s the story with Colm Callanan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Slieve Gullion

Mac_Lad71 wrote: »
    A lot more Limerick pants have been shat since 1973, Cork unbeaten in this championship over 70 mins..fact.

Rolling around the floor laughing at you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 blahblah82

You've got Walter Walsh mixed up with Luke Scanlon. It was Scanlon who Daithi Burke challenged in salthill 😉

blahblah82 wrote: »
    You've got Walter Walsh mixed up with Luke Scanlon. It was Scanlon who Daithi Burke challenged in salthill 😉

Furry muff. Still different Burkes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Rolling around the floor laughing at you. :D

he has a point to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

kaizersoze wrote: »

a fella gets classed as a legend nowadays for arriving to work late with a breakfast roll in one hand and an empty can of Budweiser in the other :pac:

very hard to find a word for canning that would sum up just how good he really is , i would regard him as the "complete hurler " , there is nothing he cant do , i would pay to see the man play in goals

he was injured today , and on top of that picked up a nasty knock in the last 15 minutes after a collision with conor cleary , and still went on to score 2 more points his attitude is just brilliant on or off the field there is no way you could talk down the guy

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Clare crowd should have went by Tipp town or Newport. I think Clare and Galway went the same way so traffic was chronic. They should have left out some of the fat trainee guards in Templemore to direct traffic.

They were all minding the mad hatters at Galway races!

A few other events added to the traffic problems. Many towns along the routes had festivals on. It was a Sunday morning where people go to mass, for a cycle or just out for a run. The traffic on the Galway side of Portumna was tailed back for miles mainly due to a group of 20 or so cyclists who should have had the cop on to take a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

DVDM93 wrote: »
    BloodyBill wrote: »
    Clare crowd should have went by Tipp town or Newport. I think Clare and Galway went the same way so traffic was chronic. They should have left out some of the fat trainee guards in Templemore to direct traffic.

the irony of this post and after you having a pop at me during the week for even mentioning traffic :P

even more so that it was in reply to somebody who had traffic issues, helping people avoid this was my whole point in posting in the first place, this gave me a bit of a laugh Bill :D

Left Tuam at 11 myself & was home at 17:45.

Took the motor way From Tuam toward Limerick, bypassed Limerick through the tunnel and just followed the signs to Thurles.

Parked a little up Holycross Road outside the stadium, was at the town end terrace so it was just a little cut through Kennedy Park between the car and the stadium before and after

I have always taken you seriously sir. I don't think people avoided the traffic issue. I expected more Clare brethren to go by Newport and Tipp Town. The Southeast Clare crowd especially should know better. I will never question the integrity of your traffic management planning again..
    Now I'm going straight up Dorset Street for the final..attacking the traffic up the middle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Hard to criticise that performance really considering the injuries we had to key players coming into the match. Clare are a super side and they were always going to come back from that deficit.

Thought Joe and Daithi gave a masterclass in leadership out there and both died with their boots on. We're blessed to have them playing in the same team. Whelo was another man who came up trumps when we needed scores.

Joseph Cooney had his best showing of the year and was absolutely fantastic in the first half.

Padraig Mannion at CHB was utter class again and himself and Harte worked their bollocks off. Coen was much improved from last week tbf.

My big hope for the final is that it's very hard to do a job on Johnny Glynn for 70 minutes. Even last week he was being fouled on puckouts but still created super goal chances. He's at the top of his game now and is a genuine dirty ball winner too.

Any win yesterday was a huge success. Job done, no extra time. The hunt for tickets was alive from 4pm yesterday on the walk back to the car. Hope that result will encourage more Galway heads to support our footballers on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Tickets on sale now online for the football if you're not going through the club. You'd probably need to act fast if you want lower tier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭vid36

Just nabbed mine, didn't see any link on Tickets.ie but got them via the GAA website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

Hard to criticise that performance really considering the injuries we had to key players coming into the match. Clare are a super side and they were always going to come back from that deficit.

Thought Joe and Daithi gave a masterclass in leadership out there and both died with their boots on. We're blessed to have them playing in the same team. Whelo was another man who came up trumps when we needed scores.

Joseph Cooney had his best showing of the year and was absolutely fantastic in the first half.

Padraig Mannion at CHB was utter class again and himself and Harte worked their bollocks off. Coen was much improved from last week tbf.

My big hope for the final is that it's very hard to do a job on Johnny Glynn for 70 minutes. Even last week he was being fouled on puckouts but still created super goal chances. He's at the top of his game now and is a genuine dirty ball winner too.

Any win yesterday was a huge success. Job done, no extra time. The hunt for tickets was alive from 4pm yesterday on the walk back to the car. Hope that result will encourage more Galway heads to support our footballers on Saturday.

Glynn, daithi, Joe, Padraig Mannion and Whelan have dug us out of holes this season.

There are a number of underperformers compared to last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

What have the footballers been involved in. Haven't seen anything bar two Damien Comer interviews.
    Usual Craic with the Hurlers, it's always past players throwing their oar in. Current teams rarely do any media stuff.

Alot of the footballers were in Ballybrit during the week. Not the place to be playing a big match on the Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LoveMeSexy

djPSB wrote: »
    Alot of the footballers were in Ballybrit during the week. Not the place to be playing a big match on the Saturday.

I saw lot of the hurlers in ballybrit too. Hardly makes a blind bit of difference, what would you prefer them do? Sit on their arses for a week before the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭Robson99

meriwether wrote: »
    Glynn, daithi, Joe, Padraig Mannion and Whelan have dug us out of holes this season.

There are a number of underperformers compared to last year.

I'd agree but I think Touhy and C Mannion have also been very good.
    Surely there is one big game in David Burke, Niall Burke and Conor Cooney.
    If them 3 can get 8pts between them in the final I think we win. And they are well capable of doing it
    Also think Flynn will play bigger part in final

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Just on the topic of Galway GAA, in general one of the things that struck me about both Galway games this weekend, (which I thankfully got to both !) is the ability and opportunity to score goals.
    The footballers were behind, fair play to Monaghan, they deserved their win, took better scores, better free takers, more desire, well done to them much as I hated seeing them celebrate like they had won the Sam at the end of the game. When the game got to the last 5 minutes and we needed goals there was more chance of it raining Euros than scoring a goal. Monaghan pulled everyone probably bar McManus behind the ball, you had no chance. We were getting frustrated and lobbed the odd ball in vain hope into the square, but no chance. Danny Cummins in fairness came on with that in mind and had a left foot shot blocked as it had to go thought about 20 players in a small area. We still would have needed more goals anyway. It was hard to watch. It reminded me of maybe that's why Soccer devised an offside rule. We needed to get those goals in the first half and scores in general when the game is more open.
    Hurling on the other hand due to being able to score from further out and a much less congested goal area leads to a much more exciting spectacle. Comebacks happen better and more frequently as shown in recent games, how safe is a 7 point lead in hurling compared to football? right up to the final whistle I thought that Clare might get a goal, and but for the width of the post they nearly did !!! A way better fare to watch, no matter what County you support.
    Big congrats to Monaghan and good luck to them in the semi final, we should not let the defeat take away from a good year and we should go all out next week in Croaker v the Dubs and hope the game is a good open match with lots of skills and scores, but football as a game needs to change, it really does. Hurling has always been a magnificent game, a game were the aim is to go forward quickly, have a fair contest, play hard and fair, but football is helping its promotion by being the opposite of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭spurshero

Robson99 wrote: »
    I'd agree but I think Touhy and C Mannion have also been very good.
    Surely there is one big game in David Burke, Niall Burke and Conor Cooney.
    If them 3 can get 8pts between them in the final I think we win. And they are well capable of doing it
    Also think Flynn will play bigger part in final

I thought David Burke played well yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

djPSB wrote: »

Bull**** post , players are human they are entitled to enjoy themselves , if they.had a few pints too what harm . The world has gone too serious nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭Robson99

spurshero wrote: »
    I thought David Burke played well yesterday

Think there is much more in him. Hasn't been as good this year as last but think he could be motm contender in final if ha can find that little bit more

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Bull**** post , players are human they are entitled to enjoy themselves , if they.had a few pints too what harm . The world has gone too serious nowadays
    Typical wasters attitude. That's the difference between a poster on Boards and an All-Ireland winner.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement