Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Not sure Martin Farragher is that standard. Had a great club final but he's been very average most times I've seen him for Corofin. I agree Lundy has gone downhill but I'd still have him in there. I suspect no Corofin player will start v Mayo. I wonder has that happened with AI club champions before. I'd imagine it's rare?

Agreed re: Martin Farragher, he did have a stormer in the club final but Corofin were on fire that day, and yes he probably isn't county standard especially since we have pretty good forwards already.

Not sure why Michael has declined to join, maybe he feels he would struggle to break into the team now having missed the entire league, and he'd probably be right (although if we ended up in the qualifiers and with injuries/suspensions etc, there will always be opportunities).

As for club champions not providing a starting county player, I doubt it's totally unheard of. Annaghdown won the county championship in 2001 with no player on the county team, and only one that was even on the panel.

Usually with a successful club team what you'll have is a bunch of average to good players bolstered by 3 or 4 really good ones and usually with a marquee forward that gives them a match-winning edge.

Corofin are slightly unusual in that they don't have any marquee names or any stars as such but what they do have is really good players in just about every position. But they don't have any major standout players in terms of county level, no Padraig Joyce or Michael Meehan types, and so they can help strengthen the overall county panel but not necessarily the starting 15.

For me Liam Silke is the only Corofin player who would have started against Mayo (and he is a loss) but I do think Ian Burke will definitely have a role to play if he commits to it, he won't start against Mayo but there will hopefully be a lot of football to be played after that, win or lose in Castlebar. Ian Burke will see game-time for sure if he is available, and hopefully they can work something out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭testtech05

Hi Guys, any idea when the tickets for the Mayo game will go on sale? Want to buy one as a present for someone.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭muddle84

testtech05 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, any idea when the tickets for the Mayo game will go on sale? Want to buy one as a present for someone.
    Cheers
    2 weeks before throw in apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

testtech05 wrote: »
    Cheers

Two weeks before the match they should be available online and in supervalu. Pearse stadium I presume won't be selling tickets the week of the match due to the ed sheeran concert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

So the first 'mini-season' comes to an end in the county hurling championship.

Was in Athenry Saturday, Portumna and Gort was very underwhelming, Gort looked to be pulling away in the second half, missed some guilt edge goal chances and then faded - Ronan O'Meara got 8 points from play and JC was superb as ever. Chunky and Ollie were very honest also, but they've very little else (that would be the 3rd club championship game in a row Jack canning hasn't even scored). Can't see either team in a semi-final, Gort are looking like a spent force.

Turlough were extremely comfortable against a very poor Beagh side, impossible to judge the former's true level. Essentially promotion play-off vs the Bridge next. Loftus looks a special player, Sean Linnane got a nasty looking injury but was flying till then. Fergal Moore looked like a sprightly minor out there!

Only Sarsfields and mellows have maximum points in A, the latter were far from convincing yesterday but got the job done and have basically qualified.

2 points:

- Splitting Senior A and Senior B has done wonders for the Championship imo, there are precious few hammerings in any game at the moment.
    - It's a real shame they couldn't sneak in another round. Something very disappointing about no club match now until August/September. I'll miss Athenry/Loughrea on a beautiful May/June/July afternoon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭MfMan

jr86 wrote: »

Turlough were extremely comfortable against a very poor Beagh side, impossible to judge the former's true level. Essentially promotion play-off vs the Bridge next. Loftus looks a special player, Sean Linnane got a nasty looking injury but was flying till then. Fergal Moore looked like a sprightly minor out there!

Only Sarsfields and mellows have maximum points in A, the latter were far from convincing yesterday but got the job done and have basically qualified.

2 points:

- Splitting Senior A and Senior B has done wonders for the Championship imo, there are precious few hammerings in any game at the moment.
    - It's a real shame they couldn't sneak in another round. Something very disappointing about no club match now until August/September. I'll miss Athenry/Loughrea on a beautiful May/June/July afternoon

I expect Loftus to play an increasing role for Galway this year, a terrific prospect I think; could be a nice little bet at 20/1 per PPs for YHOTY. What was the nature of Linnane's injury? Another whom I thought is worth a few runs at county level.

A warm Summer's evening in Athenry is indeed pleasant, but I'd sacrifice it for another Liam!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Tickets on sale today for Galway v mayo.supervalue has them since this afternoon.30 euro for stand and 25 euro for terrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Tickets on sale today for Galway v mayo.supervalue has them since this afternoon.30 euro for stand and 25 euro for terrace.

Looking forward to it. Galway to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Looking forward to it. Galway to win.

Hopefully anyway.should be a cracker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭MfMan

Sad to note passing of Tommy Varden of Tuam. Great Galway GAA supporter and patron, sponsor of the team in '98. RIP.

• Advertisement

Heard rumours today at work that eoghan kerrin got injured playing for annaghdown and a big doubt for the mayo game. I would appreciate if someone could tell me it is BS as he would be a massive loss!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

testtech05 wrote:
    Heard rumours today at work that eoghan kerrin got injured playing for annaghdown and a big doubt for the mayo game. I would appreciate if someone could tell me it is BS as he would be a massive loss!!

Wasn't playing for Annaghdown it was in a A vs B game he hobbled off before half time.

Wasn't playing for Annaghdown it was in a A vs B game he hobbled off before half time.

Hopefully he will be ok was excellent all through the league. Any idea what type of injury it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

Is the minor match online or on any radio station or website to stream?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Just saw the bits from Tony Keadys book in the independent. Pretty disappointing to say the least.
    I remember reading 5 pages of the Sylvie linnane book too and had to throw it in the fire. Piss poor. Liam Hayes just hasn't got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Just saw the bits from Tony Keadys book in the independent. Pretty disappointing to say the least. I remember reading 5 pages of the Sylvie linnane book too and had to throw it in the fire. Piss poor. Liam Hayes just hasn't got it.

Books are mirrors. You only see in them what you already have inside of you.†-Carlos Zafon

Books are mirrors. You only see in them what you already have inside of you.†-Carlos Zafon

Deep. I'll think about this....😀

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

I'm not impressed with the Galway team to play Mayo. I'm sure the manager knows best but to me Tom Flynn , Gary O Donnell, Cathal Sweeney and Chris Duggan in around the middle third all together is too weak. I hope it's not the real team. Maybe they will suit the system but Peter Cooke and Sean Kelly should be starting imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭vid36

Maybe it is just a dummy team.

I'm not impressed with the Galway team to play Mayo. I'm sure the manager knows best but to me Tom Flynn , Gary O Donnell, Cathal Sweeney and Chris Duggan in around the middle third all together is too weak. I hope it's not the real team. Maybe they will suit the system but Peter Cooke and Sean Kelly should be starting imo.

Underwhelmed myself. Walsh never named his league teams until 20 mins before throw in so he won't show his hand this early.
    Flynn has had enough chances to impress and rarely did. My guess is Cooke in for Flynn. Flynn will have to seriously impress if he starts. Ciaran Duggan played well in the latter stages of the league and has serious pace for a big man. I'd have him out there to follow Parsons around.
    They'll surely want to spring a surprise on the Mayo backs so maybe Sean Kelly or Ian Burke in for O Donnell, with Heaney taking his place in the half back line.
    Im expecting Barrett to start on Comer. Not a hope Cafferkey will start on Comer.
    Ray Silke in today's Advertiser twice mentioned the rumour about Kyne and Kerin being doubtful, and with his brother as a selector there might be merit in the doubts. God only knows if there'll be any backs in the subs if those 2 are out presuming Wynne and Duane then start.
    If today's team starts I'll be worried at 4 on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Its good to see McHugh named as starting but it is hard to take either team sheet too seriously. I'd expect both managers to go with different teams on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

grbear wrote: »
    Its good to see McHugh named as starting but it is hard to take either team sheet too seriously. I'd expect both managers to go with different teams on Sunday.

I would be shocked to see McHugh & Armstrong both start. My guess is that Ian Burke might sneak in ahead of Armstrong. Him or Sean Kelly. Or maybe Brannigan if he is fit - I have not heard anything concrete about Brannigan.

Tom Flynn did nothing in the league to suggest he should be starting. However, Cooke did not have a spectacular league campaign either. I'd opt for Cooke above Flynn however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

I would be shocked to see McHugh & Armstrong both start. My guess is that Ian Burke might sneak in ahead of Armstrong. Him or Sean Kelly. Or maybe Brannigan if he is fit - I have not heard anything concrete about Brannigan.

Tom Flynn did nothing in the league to suggest he should be starting. However, Cooke did not have a spectacular league campaign either. I'd opt for Cooke above Flynn however.

The only thing is there's been over a month now since the league final

In fairness it's plenty of time for someone to really put their hand up in training, regardless of league form

We have no real indication as to who's carrying niggles, who's winning aerial battles in training, who is at peak fitness and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭B_Sharp

The team named doesn't fill me with confidence but there'll more than likely be a few changes. Barring injury or lack of form, can't see how Seán Kelly doesn't start. Thought he was one of our best players in the league. Flynn must be flying in training because he's done little in games to warrant his place. He'd be a great asset if he was back to his best though.

As TCDStudent1 said, doubt we'll see McHugh and Armstrong starting inside. We generally only have two in there and even though Comer roams about, I'd expect it to be him to be one of them.

If we lined out like this on Sunday, I'd be pretty happy. Not what I'd pick if everyone was fit, but probably still good enough.

Lavelle;
    Kyne, Ó Ceallaigh, Kerin;
    O'Donnell, Bradshaw, Sweeney, Heaney;
    Cooke, Conroy, Duggan;
    S Walsh, Kelly;
    McHugh, Comer.

The gap from the league is a worry for me. Had this game been a couple of weeks after the end of the league I'd be a lot more confident but loss of form and complacency could really be a factor Sunday. Gives Mayo good time to regroup and focus on us as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

In fairness it's plenty of time for someone to really put their hand up in training, regardless of league form

We have no real indication as to who's carrying niggles, who's winning aerial battles in training, who is at peak fitness and so on

I saw Flynn in a Galway A v B match a couple of weeks ago as part of a club celebration thing in Kilererin. He did nothing there either! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Heard Kerin is out for this game, not sure if there is any truth to this !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Minors had a good win over Sligo tonight so hopefully that's a good omen for this weekend.

Should get a good crowd in Tullamore tomorrow. Concannon probably the best new forward from the League and it'd be great if Skehill (who I wouldn't be a massive proponent of in the last few years) could push Callanan for No.1 later in the summer.

1 James Skehill
    2 Adrian Tuohy
    3 Daithi Burke
    4 John Hanbury
    5 Padraig Mannion
    6 Gearoid McInerney
    7 Aidan Harte
    8 Johnny Coen
    9 David Burke Capt
    10 Cathal Mannion
    11 Joe Canning
    12 Joseph Cooney
    13 Conor Whelan
    14 Conor Cooney
    15 Brian Concannon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Minors had a good win over Sligo tonight so hopefully that's a good omen for this weekend.

Should get a good crowd in Tullamore tomorrow. Concannon probably the best new forward from the League and it'd be great if Skehill (who I wouldn't be a massive proponent of in the last few years) could push Callanan for No.1 later in the summer.

1 James Skehill
    2 Adrian Tuohy
    3 Daithi Burke
    4 John Hanbury
    5 Padraig Mannion
    6 Gearoid McInerney
    7 Aidan Harte
    8 Johnny Coen
    9 David Burke Capt
    10 Cathal Mannion
    11 Joe Canning
    12 Joseph Cooney
    13 Conor Whelan
    14 Conor Cooney
    15 Brian Concannon

It's a strong team for a first round game but slightly disappointing that of the new guys only Concannon has forced his way in. We will need a few more of the fringe players to step up. Should be winning this one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Galway v. Offaly LSHC not live on tv?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Lot of star players from last year like Canning and GMac have been awful.

Joseph Cooney kept our head above water.

Sharpness still there with the first touch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement