Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raw Thread 14/02 *spoilers within*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

DeadParrot wrote: »
    there is so much wrong with this statement it beggers belief.

This one, however, gives great insight

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'd have to imagine Rock/Cena will happen sometime down the road. With WM in Miami next year I'm feeling pretty good about it. I imagine he'll be gone after Mania; post-raising Cena's hand in the air like Tyson and Austin at WM14. Actually just like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

I'm genuinely considering buying tickets to WM28 on the strength of rumours alone. As a wrestling fan, one of my biggest regrets is not seeing Austin live. Now with a chance for Rock and Takers last matches to happen in Miami...I feel I have to go.. haha

edit: Apparently Punk hit the peoples elbow in the dark match on Raw.

http://www.twnpnews.com/messages2/32865.php

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

D.Q wrote: »
    I'm genuinely considering buying tickets to WM28 on the strength of rumours alone. As a wrestling fan, one of my biggest regrets is not seeing Austin live. Now with a chance for Rock and Takers last matches to happen in Miami...I feel I have to go.. haha

edit: Apparently Punk hit the peoples elbow in the dark match on Raw.

http://www.twnpnews.com/messages2/32865.php

Im considering it too.Havnt been to an event in years and years and always wanted to go to an outdoors WM

• Registered Users Posts: 85,686 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is this a record number of posts for a Raw thread :p oh the power of the great one

I dont think Cena V The Rock will happen at this year's WM if I remember correctly and I should as I watched it a few times Rock said he'd see both Cena and Miz at WM so their has to be some confrontation between them and perhaps Rock being referee or enforcer at a match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mulner92

All down to the most electrifying man in sports entertainment. So great to have him back, rock vs taker match at wm28 would be epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is this a record number of posts for a Raw thread :p oh the power of the great one

Well if it gets another 400 posts it will have more discussion that last years wrestlemania!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭messi1985

make that 399 now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Already destroyed the Royal Rumble thread :pac:

It is also-
    mulner92 wrote: »
    All down to the most electrifying man in sports entertainment. Boards PW
    - Ger C.
    :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Ha abai CMPunked bai! Theres no coddin me so theres not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Gerard.C wrote: »
    This one, however, gives great insight

In fairness to that poster, you gave a one liner to a pretty long post of mine too. Sometimes a short and sweet answer gets the job done.

The length of this thread alone shows how stale many found the WWE. This Raw has clearly raised interest in wrestling for the time being. It is up to Vince to make sure they cash in and put on some good shows leading up to Mania. The interest in the WWE on Twitter due to this Raw was pretty big, much more than anything else I can remember. Articles like this one are great for wrestling, now Vince just has to cash it in!

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/oddballs/855549-the-rock-at-wrestlemania-27-sends-twitter-fans-into-a-frenzy
    The Rock, real name Dwayne Johnson, will guest host the eagerly-awaited show in Atlanta, Georgia, on April 3, WWE chairman Vince McMahon confirmed yesterday.

On Tuesday morning, both The Rock and Wrestlemania were in top five trending terms on Twitter in the UK and on Monday night the social-networking site exploded with messages after it was confirmed the actor would be returning to his wrestling roots.

The news was also confirmed on The Rock’s official Facebook page, with a video of the star excitedly getting the fans ready for his return.
    In six hours, the 38-year-old also gained 65,000 followers on Twitter after opening his account with three simple messages, including: ‘FINALLY... I'm back. Don’t miss me as @WWE's Most Electrifying Host of #WM27 on Raw's LIVE Chat after RAW!’

Fans were equally excited by the news, with MartieTunc posting: ‘i actually cried when #therock came back on wwe!!!!! OMGGG! i love him.’
    christoski1611 also wrote: ‘The Rock back at Wrestlemania! I may have to watch wrestling again! If you smellllll what The Rock is cooking!’

Some were simply happy that the Rock’s return reminded them of their childhood days of watching wrestling, with ShaunJobson adding: ‘Still so excited from last night, still feel 13 still cant believe #therockis back.’
    MrVicious was even more intense and asked Johnson, now that he was returning to wrestling, never to leave again.

‘Dear Rock, oh my how I've missed you. Don't ever leave that ring again. Love, one of the millions (and millions) of your fans.’
    The Rock decided to leave the ring in 2004 and begin an acting career which has seen him star in films such as Be Cool, Walking Tall, Get Mart, Race to Witch Mountain, Doom and recently, The Other Guys.

WrestleMania XXVII will be broadcast to more than 80 countries around the world in April.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/oddballs/855549-the-rock-at-wrestlemania-27-sends-twitter-fans-into-a-frenzy#ixzz1EAA21css

In fairness to that poster, you gave a one liner to a pretty long post of mine too. Sometimes a short and sweet answer gets the job done.

The length of this thread alone shows how stale many found the WWE. This Raw has clearly raised interest in wrestling for the time being. It is up to Vince to make sure they cash in and put on some good shows leading up to Mania. The interest in the WWE on Twitter due to this Raw was pretty big, much more than anything else I can remember. Articles like this one are great for wrestling, now Vince just has to cash it in!

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/oddballs/855549-the-rock-at-wrestlemania-27-sends-twitter-fans-into-a-frenzy

In fairness to myself, I have posted my logical reasons behind that post in the thread and while not everyone may agree, they are not "wrong". I believe that was that posters first post in this thread, also.

Ha abai CMPunked bai! Theres no coddin me so theres not

Poster of the year doesnt get won by itself, does it? :p

I missed the highly controversial post and not sure if i want to look through 25 or so pages to find it. Can you give me a condensed version? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

So where was this non-pg content last night? I heard ass,hell and damn. Why would this not be heard on a pg show? Did anyone tell their kids you can't be hearing this? Was any anybody sent to bed by their parents for this foul use of the English tongue? Why did the IWC never complain about Smackdown being a pg show from day one?

I enjoyed Raw last night and thought it was a great show. I had my doubts about the kiss cam but even Regal made me pish(am i allowed to say that) myself laughing.

This post is for a laugh. Can I just say i have enjoyed reading the whole way this thread with great points from many posters.

Good to see so many folk enjoying WWE!

pg 39 I think it was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

so you think vince will turn him heel to cater for the younger viewers who love cena the way he is.

Because they'll be absolutely mad to see the hero that turned his back on them get his ass kicked by whatever face is put against him. Its pretty basic PW booking 101 tbh and it helps make new stars.

No doubt you'll then turn on whatever face is put in the top spot because he doesn't talk about sticking his mickey in a pie or whooping some candified ass. And Cena will be the greatest thing since the People's Elbow.:pac:

Why is what the younger viewers think of "as gas" more important than anything else? As a business model, alienating your core demographic is a pretty stupid strategy. Several reports show their biggest demographic is adult males. Several reports also show that merchandise is one of their smallest revenue streams.

I doubt Vince is deliberately doing something without it having very good financial reasons for doing so. He's a cute aul hoor.
    Again the heel line is being used. There have been good faces once or twice in the history of wrestling too you know.

Yes but the internet tends to jack off about heels not faces, always has done.
    You can write me off as a message board warrior all you want. It has about as much value as me calling you a fanboy. Both are meaningless insults. All I am saying is that as somebody who has loved wrestling for 20 years since I was a kid (yes I was a kid who loved, wrestling, boo hiss I'm such a hypocrite etc), the past few years have been the only time I have not cared about large parts of the programme. And there are pretty simple remedies to these problems, many of which Cena could take if he were so inclined. I might never love Cena due to his in-ring work, but it should be possible for me to say "yeah his character is the best it can be". That is not the case now. I never cared for The Rock or Hogan in-ring. But I could say at various times that they were being booked and performing admirably.

You see to be taking mys posts as a direct insult, they really aren't. Its more of a general comment on the moaning the internet often indulges in.
    Simple things like getting rid of idiotic dialogue and selling things better. Look at when Punk first attacked him with the chair. He popped back up within seconds. I have nothing against goofiness in wrestling and love The Undertaker. But even he, with the character he has, sells better and more often than Cena. And he is supposed to be an unstoppable Deadman. Look at the improvements made in Taker after the arrival of Mick Foley. They stopped booking him idiotically and he upped his own game. Obviously Taker has a physicality that Cena can never replicate and Taker was directed to hold back on elements such as speed, certain moves etc, but it is an example.

Again, such minute details mean little to the vast majority of WWE fans. Cena selling the leg better, while a bit less annoying won't get the PPV buys rolling in.
    Edit: I'm not a fan of being told I'm going to love Cena and jerking off to him. I think I know what actually do and do not like!

The fact that you seem determined not to even give the guy a chance before you've seen what he's capable of tells me you're just a Cena hater no matter what he does, in which case you're kinda incapable of discussing him rationally.

tumblr_l73uhbHy5w1qc0m6fo1_500.jpg

In no way am i trying to restart a bit of controversy, but:
    The way he was going on Finally I'm home, Finally I'm this, Finally I'm that. Finally I've a break in the filiming schedule I would imagine.

He hasnt exactly had the same sort of schedule as tom cruise or Christian Bale.
    A few kids movies then some proper ones and comedies.
    And speaking to the crowd as Dwayne annoyed me too. You're either The Rock or Dwayne like, make up your mind. I hate that kinda "real" stuff.

I think he needed to do that.
    Lets look at it from the flip side, He comes out, as the rock, cuts his promo 100% in character. Then how does he explain his reasons to be back?

CMpunked wrote: »
    In no way am i trying to restart a bit of controversy, but:

He hasnt exactly had the same sort of schedule as tom cruise or Christian Bale.
    A few kids movies then some proper ones and comedies.

I think he needed to do that.
    Lets look at it from the flip side, He comes out, as the rock, cuts his promo 100% in character. Then how does he explain his reasons to be back?

I wasnt either, its all opinion and debate! :D

He still hasnt been around in years, and I thought he used blame his schedule on that?

Its wrestling like, he doesnt need to go into THAT much detail. Dya think the Undertaker, or Mark even, will be discussing his sore legs next week like? Wrestling is all about suspending your beliefs for 2 hours. "I'm back" would have done the same thing. Not to mention the bollix about never leaving again, no need for it imo

• Advertisement

I wasnt either, its all opinion and debate! :D

He still hasnt been around in years, and I thought he used blame his schedule on that?

Its wrestling like, he doesnt need to go into THAT much detail. Dya think the Undertaker, or Mark even, will be discussing his sore legs next week like? Wrestling is all about suspending your beliefs for 2 hours. "I'm back" would have done the same thing. Not to mention the bollix about never leaving again, no need for it imo

"I got locked into the garden shed for a few weeks there, it was raining mad for a while and there were some good magazines in there so I schtayed put for a bit. Now I'm back. Rest in Peace."

flahavaj wrote: »
    I doubt Vince is deliberately doing something without it having very good financial reasons for doing so. He's a cute aul hoor.

Many dirtsheets have the WWE on the edge of financial ruin even though they post huge profits and massive diviends to their shareholders on their legally binding accounts annually(quarterly).

Remember the IWC remember dirt shirt rumours and accounting matters more than the WWE annual accounts which have to be made public.

Wrestling is all about suspending your beliefs for 2 hours.

I agree with this. It's make believe. Sorry for my boring old quote but don't take it too serious.

Gerard C. Was your pg39 a joke at my age:)?:pac:

davrho wrote: »
    Many dirtsheets have the WWE on the edge of financial ruin even though they post huge profits and massive diviends to their shareholders on their legally binding accounts annually(quarterly).

Remember the IWC remember dirt shirt rumours and accounting matters more than the WWE annual accounts which have to be made public.

WWE basically have a licence to print money!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I thought the whole Dwayne bit of the promo was a nice personal touch,and I think what he meant about never leaving again was that he's never going to be gone as long as he had been(7 years)before he returned on Monday.Don't think it was meant to be taken literally(ie he'd never ever be off TV again!)

On Monday?
    Nah dont think so. I think he said that he achieved all that he wanted to achieve so he went off to movies to achieve another boyhood dream (im paraphrasing that and what he said at the start of january.)

I agree with this. It's make believe. Sorry for my boring old quote but don't take it too serious.

Gerard C. Was your pg39 a joke at my age:)?:pac:

Jaysus if it was I have abilities that I could make some serious money with!

flahavaj wrote: »
    WWE basically have a licence to print money!

Exactly!

PPV buy rates dropping. Yes they are but corporate wwe has that many financial arms and legs that the cash flows in from other areas.

Am not getting involved in all this poop(lol) but i reckon the wwe shareholders are delighted with the company dividends being paid.

I thought Raw was great this week and i will leave it at that.

CMpunked wrote: »
    On Monday?
    Nah dont think so. I think he said that he achieved all that he wanted to achieve so he went off to movies to achieve another boyhood dream (im paraphrasing that and what he said at the start of january.)

Nah in interviews over the last few years. I could be wrong but I think they have tried to get him for many things, hosting raw being the latest, and he couldnt do it cos of a film?

• Advertisement

still_real.jpg

Advertisement