Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Jarren wrote: »
    You mean tethering ?

No internet pass through/reverse tethering.There does not appear to be any solution at present....http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s2-international/387043-how-share-internet-pc-sgs2-via-usb.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Why would anyone want this ?
    If you don't ahve data on your phone you just use....your ....computer...maybe !??!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Hey, just made the jump to smart phones with the S2 and 3. So far so good.

Noticed the boards deal app and a few others that came installed, can't seem to be uninstalled. From a quick google of this thread the only way to get rid of them is to root your phone. Seeing as it is brand new I'd rather not do that just yet, any other workarounds available?

Also any general tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

D wrote: »
    Hey, just made the jump to smart phones with the S2 and 3. So far so good.

Noticed the boards deal app and a few others that came installed, can't seem to be uninstalled. From a quick google of this thread the only way to get rid of them is to root your phone. Seeing as it is brand new I'd rather not do that just yet, any other workarounds available?

Also any general tips?

If your operating system is 4.0 or ice cream sandwich, you can disable them in the app section of the settings. Go to Settings \ Apps \ All , then search for boards app. Click on it and then click on "uninstall updates", then back out and click on/enter it again and there should be an option to disable app. The disabled apps go to the bottom of the app list in case you want to re-enable them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Why would anyone want this ?
    If you don't ahve data on your phone you just use....your ....computer...maybe !??!?!

I really don't know but I would imagine that some people would like to use this option in an office/workplace. Free internet and all that .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I really don't know but I would imagine that some people would like to use this option in an office/workplace. Free internet and all that .

Maybe......I remain doubtful however :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I used to use it before when I had a HTC Touch (and no data plan -it was 5yrs ago!)
    Was very handy for doing things like syncing my contacts with my exchange account, but other than that I could do everything else better on the computer I was connected too. I was always a little confused as to why the feature was removed though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Is any one else having issues with chrome? It's gone to fcuk today.

Cleaning cache usually helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    If your operating system is 4.0 or ice cream sandwich, you can disable them in the app section of the settings. Go to Settings \ Apps \ All , then search for boards app. Click on it and then click on "uninstall updates", then back out and click on/enter it again and there should be an option to disable app. The disabled apps go to the bottom of the app list in case you want to re-enable them.

I can't on my Mini, sadly. And even if I could "disable" them, they take up a good bit of vital internal memory on it. Thanks for that, boards.ie.

/rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I have connected my gs2 with Kies for the first time since I got the phone last year. Its updating the firmware at the moment. The problem is its stuck on 71% for the last 45 mins. Im thinking about disconnecting it? is that a big no no. What else can I do? I reckon it frozen/crashed.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭BravoMike

After updating my Galaxy S2 to ICS, I have had loads of issues with the phones software. Is there a way I can flash the software and re install ICS as Kies is telling me the software is up to date and will not let me reinstall ICS?
    I would much prefer to do itmyself than send it off for a few days.

BravoMike wrote: »
    After updating my Galaxy S2 to ICS, I have had loads of issues with the phones software. Is there a way I can flash the software and re install ICS as Kies is telling me the software is up to date and will not let me reinstall ICS?
    I would much prefer to do itmyself than send it off for a few days.

Follow those instructions

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-phones/how-to-install-ice-cream-sandwich-on-your-samsung-galaxy-s2-50006766/

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭BravoMike

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,832 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

In an email from Samsung to The Verge, the company has announced that it's updating its flagship Galaxy S III handset to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, starting today. Poland is the first market to receive the update, which brings Google Now, Project Butter, and other enhancements, but Samsung says Jelly Bean will "gradually" be introduced to other markets soon; how quickly you get it will "vary by market and wireless carriers' requirements." The update will also bring a few Samsung-specific enhancements, including improved 'Pop up play' functionality, a new 'Easy Mode' that offers easy-to-use widgets for favorites and recently-used applications, and a 'blocking mode' that sounds remarkably similar to Apple's 'Do Not Disturb' function.

As well as detailing the update for the Galaxy S III, Samsung also released a full list of devices that will be upgraded to Jelly Bean. The list includes ten phones: the Galaxy S II, Galaxy Note, Galaxy S Advance, Galaxy S II LTE, Galaxy Chat, Galaxy Ace 2, Galaxy Beam, Galaxy Ace Plus, Galaxy Mini 2, and Galaxy S Duos; four tablets: the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Galaxy Note 10.1; and an unknown device, the Galaxy Music (we've reached out to Samsung to confirm the mystery device's identity). As with the Galaxy S III, the timing of the updates will vary depending on your location and wireless carrier.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/24/3381542/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-android-jelly-bean-update-device-list

For mobile phone users :)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭t1mm

Does anyone know which version of the S2 meteor,o2 and vodafone sell? (I9100 vs I9100G). Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

t1mm wrote: »
    Does anyone know which version of the S2 meteor,o2 and vodafone sell? (I9100 vs I9100G). Cheers!

I bought a prepay white s2 from meteor in the last month and it was I9100

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭t1mm

Lovely, cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Lots of problems with the phone.might be in messages or photos etc. Press back and it goes back to the previous screen that I was on. Happens all the time..how do I fix it..

Also the sound for calls is awful. would it cost much to fix

closeline wrote: »
    Lots of problems with the phone.might be in messages or photos etc. Press back and it goes back to the previous screen that I was on. Happens all the time..how do I fix it..

Also the sound for calls is awful. would it cost much to fix

Pressing back usually goes to the previous screen.. It's in the name. Any more details?

Pressing back usually goes to the previous screen.. It's in the name. Any more details?

No like it keeps going back. It could go from inbox messages to twitter to facebook to flashlight to sat nav to gmail. Whereas it should go from inbox message back to messages back to the home screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

closeline wrote: »
    No like it keeps going back. It could go from inbox messages to twitter to facebook to flashlight to sat nav to gmail. Whereas it should go from inbox message back to messages back to the home screen.

Is pressing the home button a reasonable alternative to get back to the home screen?

I know that on a friend of mine's S2, it sometimes gets stuck in a loop where it goes back to what ever was previous, no matter what. For example, it will go from a message, to the inbox, to the message, to the inbox, to the message, to the inbox ad infinitum.

It's funny seeing him get frustrated with it.

Is pressing the home button a reasonable alternative to get back to the home screen?

I know that on a friend of mine's S2, it sometimes gets stuck in a loop where it goes back to what ever was previous, no matter what. For example, it will go from a message, to the inbox, to the message, to the inbox, to the message, to the inbox ad infinitum.

It's funny seeing him get frustrated with it.

It is just annoying when it happens. It is definetly something that needs to be fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I think what has happened in this situation is that the launcher has closed/crahed, and just needs to be restarted (by pressing the home button as previously mentioned). Try using a different launcher would be my advice

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Anyone know when official Jellybean is coming to this device?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Trojan00

Anyone know when official Jellybean is coming to this device?

Its supposed to be coming in November - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1736726

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Zagato wrote: »
    I think what has happened in this situation is that the launcher has closed/crahed, and just needs to be restarted (by pressing the home button as previously mentioned). Try using a different launcher would be my advice
    I'd say you're spot on. I've had similar happen but I've since discovered that whenever it happened it was because my launcher had updated in the background (auto-update set on market). So a quick press of home button, reselect launcher as default, and problem sorted.

• Advertisement

Zagato wrote: »

what one would you suggest??

Advertisement