Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Anyone having any issues with GPS?

My phone is constantly searching for GPS even when I've no apps open that should be using it. I haven't installed any new apps recently either.

I use Endomondo and the last few times I used it, the signal has been jumping around the place. So yesterday it told me I'd walked 92 kilometres in two hours. Bit unrealistic for me.

There are background apps [too many to mention] that would use GPS. One I use is a subset of Google Maps called Google Lattitude. It records where I am 24x7 and reports it back to my shared contacts [my better half].

I'm sure that there are many more.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

RangeR wrote: »

There are background apps [too many to mention] that would use GPS. One I use is a subset of Google Maps called Google Lattitude. It records where I am 24x7 and reports it back to my shared contacts [my better half].

I'm sure that there are many more.

Thanks for the reply. I don't use Latitude. Wouldn't want my better half tracking my moves. :)

The appearance of the "Searching for GPS" icon is only a new thing, I hadn't installed any new apps in the recent days before this happened. It also coincided with the GPS connection dropping out while Endomondo is running, making me apparently leap around the map like a madman.

I'm just thinking now that perhaps an app which I updated is now using the location services.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Anyone else get a system update last night? It was over the air, rather than via Kies. I'm thinking it must have been Meteor pushing their flavour of ICS (which I had previously installed via KIES), as it installed a load of crap (adverts.ie, etc. etc). Thankfully I was able to uninstall all of them immediately afterwards, so they weren't flagged as system apps. Version number afterwards is 4.0.4. I noticed some UI changes too (unlock screen, size of menus etc.).

Anyone else get a system update last night? It was over the air, rather than via Kies. I'm thinking it must have been Meteor pushing their flavour of ICS (which I had previously installed via KIES), as it installed a load of crap (adverts.ie, etc. etc). Thankfully I was able to uninstall all of them immediately afterwards, so they weren't flagged as system apps. Version number afterwards is 4.0.4. I noticed some UI changes too (unlock screen, size of menus etc.).

I got that Update as well but haven't gone through with it yet. Seemed a bit strange as I just woke up and there it was, waiting for me. I wasn't sure where to trust it or not as I thought the updates only came in through Kies.

You find it okay anyway? I don't really want to upgrade as it will probably mess up my Apps listings again.

I got that Update as well but haven't gone through with it yet. Seemed a bit strange as I just woke up and there it was, waiting for me. I wasn't sure where to trust it or not as I thought the updates only came in through Kies.

You find it okay anyway? I don't really want to upgrade as it will probably mess up my Apps listings again.
    Are you also on Meteor? Apart form the addition of those 7-8 apps, it was otherwise perfect. In fact I daresay (may be my imagination!) screen and menus seem quicker. That could be because of the additional reboots, app optimization or just plain ol' wishful thinking!

• Advertisement

Are you also on Meteor? Apart form the addition of those 7-8 apps, it was otherwise perfect. In fact I daresay (may be my imagination!) screen and menus seem quicker. That could be because of the additional reboots, app optimization or just plain ol' wishful thinking!

Yeah, I'm with Meteor.

Did this update rearrange your apps in the apps folder, and change up your home screens?

That's what happened when I went to Ice Cream Sandwich.

Yeah, I'm with Meteor.

Did this update rearrange your apps in the apps folder, and change up your home screens?

That's what happened when I went to Ice Cream Sandwich.
    Nope. All of my homescreens are fine, and all my apps are still neatly arranged within their respective folders. I don't recall the original ICS update screwing these up either though. I don't use any launchers or anything like that though, though I do use Fancy Widgets.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

With regards to the upgrade, on meteor billpay, how does one go about updating it to ICS. Wife has the phone and doesnt really want to have it rooted and custom roms put on it, but the stock rom on it from meteor is not working well, screen wont work when in call and other small buggy problems. After 3 times bringing it back to meteor, they wont do anything, havent even reset it or reinstalled the rom, so I reckon I'd know more than those at the shop, and people on here will know more than me.

Do I need odin or kies to make the upgrade, or should it be sent over a network upgrade? cheers.

bruschi wrote: »
    With regards to the upgrade, on meteor billpay, how does one go about updating it to ICS. Wife has the phone and doesnt really want to have it rooted and custom roms put on it, but the stock rom on it from meteor is not working well, screen wont work when in call and other small buggy problems. After 3 times bringing it back to meteor, they wont do anything, havent even reset it or reinstalled the rom, so I reckon I'd know more than those at the shop, and people on here will know more than me.

Do I need odin or kies to make the upgrade, or should it be sent over a network upgrade? cheers.
    I got the original ICS upgrade via Kies, so give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

The feckin update has gotten rid of the ability to change the screen brightness by sliding across the status bar :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,375 ✭✭✭irishgeo

was going to upgrade tonight to CM10 M2 but the download server is down.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kc56

Got it today OTA from eMobile. No issues, apps as before apart from some extras and an out of date RTE News Now.

New version is 4.0.4 which is supposed to fix a bug with WiFi where the phone freezes when WiFi is turned on. Will know in a week or two.

kc56 wrote: »

Got it today OTA from eMobile. No issues, apps as before apart from some extras and an out of date RTE News Now.

New version is 4.0.4 which is supposed to fix a bug with WiFi where the phone freezes when WiFi is turned on. Will know in a week or two.

Oh great, I was having that problem occasionally. Hopefully that'll sort it.

I updated earlier, went smoothly, no rearranging/unfoldering of my apps which was a relief.

Haven't noticed any major difference yet. The security symbol entry looks different and the text you can put on that page scrolls now.

Oh great, I was having that problem occasionally. Hopefully that'll sort it.

I updated earlier, went smoothly, no rearranging/unfoldering of my apps which was a relief.

Haven't noticed any major difference yet. The security symbol entry looks different and the text you can put on that page scrolls now.
    If you look at the menu text it seems larger (Home screen -> Settings). Also some changes to the stock browser (for some reason the window and bookmarks buttons have been swapped). Loading web-pages 'seems' quicker, however, that could be down to app optimization for this build, or just clearing caches etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭briN_s

I updated yesterday, and havent seen any major issues yet. Just one small issue where the camera became non responsive. I restarted phone and had a similar issue again. After this I did a force close of the camera app and havent seen any problems since.

Anyone know if we are likely to get Jellybean for the s2? (through KIES or OTA I mean)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

The feckin update has gotten rid of the ability to change the screen brightness by sliding across the status bar :mad:

Haven't done the update. Thanks for the tip with the brightness, didn't know that at all.Nice one. have to turn up the brightness when outside, can barely see the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,375 ✭✭✭irishgeo

the m2 build of cm10 seems to disappeared form the cyanogen website any idea why?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I have noticed a lot recently that the WiFi Scanner needs to be restarted in order to pick up networks and connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

anyone hear of this on S2 on vodafone?
    Calls worked fine for a few mins and then after I lost connection no matter what don't ring through..either incoming or outgoing.
    Very doubtfull a software issue as it was on 2.3 and I upgraded it to 4.0.4 at home and exact same prob.
    Text messages go fine though.

I only got phone today off a mate and it worked perfectly until I paired it to my car ..even though it's not paired now still won't send/receive calls.
    I have disabled all 2g/3g network etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

After much pricking about with Kies (god, i hate that software) today, i updated to 4.04.

Seems faster, battery seems a touch better, text seems cleaner.

• Advertisement

The voice command on my s2, which i never use, has taken to have a mind of its own, it will not turn off. Every text and call and alarm is read out by that annoying American accent.
    can anyone help?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

MJ23 wrote: »
    The voice command on my s2, which i never use, has taken to have a mind of its own, it will not turn off. Every text and call and alarm is read out by that annoying American accent.
    can anyone help?

Driving Mode is on

How do i turn it off?

I have the widget for voice commands in use so its just a shortcut to me. More info and driving mode, how to get it and to get it off!

http://www.mobilephonetipsandtricks.com/2012/02/how-to-activate-driving-mode-on-samsung.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Driving mode was coming on and off for me all the time a couple of months ago and nothing I tried seemed to succeed in turning it off. I had to restore to factory settings in the end.

Managed to turn it off. thanks.

Here's how to put your own ringtone, out of your music on your Samsung s2, for notification tones.
    go to my files
    create folder called Media
    create folder in that called Audio
    create folder in that called Notifications
    then go to music folder and select what ringtone you want, and move it to the Notifications folder.
    Go back out and go to settings
    When you go to change your notification tone now, you new ringtone will on the list.

My CTU message tone is back in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭gar

Ok moving from a 3GS to the S2.
    Going to transfer stuff using easy phone sync. Hopefully that works. Once that's done do I just use kies to back up the phone? Will be looking to load I branded 4.0.4 or try some some roms.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Gar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

gar wrote: »
    moving from a 3GS to the S2.
    Going to transfer stuff using easy phone sync. Hopefully that works. Once that's done do I just use kies to back up the phone? Will be looking to load I branded 4.0.4 or try some some roms.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Gar
    Might as well try some 4.1 rooms instead of 4.0.4
    Check this thread, I'm using Revolt 2.5 which is good.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=23231772

And Kies is rubbish, most stuff will be backed up to the cloud automatically.

upgraded to 4.04 via kies. everything seems fine except sky go doesnt seem to stream channels. anyone else have this issue. going to re install the app and hopefully it will sort out the issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

:eek:

right, so trying to flash a stock rom over an old buggy rom and it didnt go according to plan a few weeks back. Totally bricked it. nothing would work, Odin, one touch or even the SDK prgrammers uutility. it was pretty screwed up. anyways, a friend who has a jaytag device was going to sort it , just had to call down to him with the phone. never got a chance over the past few weeks and the phone sat there on the desk without any battery, sim or card in it for weeks. he knocked in one day to see what the craic was, i put in the battery to charge it up a little and im not joking guys, it displayed "cannot find logo.jpg" first, strange, never seen that before and then all of a sudden, up pops the android and the loading bar, 2 minutes later the phone re-boots and same screen as i had on the old rom. just all the operator apps had reapperared.....:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

mad altogether. :D

Advertisement