Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Might be worth bringing it back to the shop so

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

Im with stock meteor
    I updated via kies to ics, its rubbish.
    My s2 never gave me any trouble before now there is constant lags and crashes,
    smaller things like text on the internet is smaller and grainier making it very hard to read, clicking on links is difficult.
    Its a different phone for all the wrong reasons

Is there any way to roll back to the previous firmware:confused:

pabloh999 wrote: »
    Im with stock meteor
    I updated via kies to ics, its rubbish.
    My s2 never gave me any trouble before now there is constant lags and crashes,
    smaller things like text on the internet is smaller and grainier making it very hard to read, clicking on links is difficult.
    Its a different phone for all the wrong reasons

Is there any way to roll back to the previous firmware:confused:

You could flash 2.3.x back with Odin, I don't use Kies so I'm not sure if you can do something with that.

However...

1) The random crashes etc would probably be sorted by a factory reset. You could back your photos, music, sms etc up with Kies, factory reset & then restore. When I upgraded to ICS I did a "fresh" install like this and had so such issues.

2) You can increase the text size and / or default zoom in the browser settings to suit your taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

Yea i might do a hard reset thanks.
    Shouldnt really have to, the phone was perfect before the update.

Its still smooth enough but..
    Its the little things that are pissing me off!
    Now when on a webpage i cant click on phone numbers to directdial anymore
    The unlock swipe screen is crappy
    New android smiley faces are crappy
    Browser text is too small and horrible to read
    and the larger browser text size just doesnt sit on the page right, it throws the whole page off

This just me? Or is anyone noticing this too

Maybe its just the meteor update, its like it hasnt been thought through fully or something

pabloh999 wrote: »
    Yea i might do a hard reset thanks.
    Shouldnt really have to, the phone was perfect before the update.

Its still smooth enough but..
    Its the little things that are pissing me off!
    Now when on a webpage i cant click on phone numbers to directdial anymore
    The unlock swipe screen is crappy
    New android smiley faces are crappy
    Browser text is too small and horrible to read
    and the larger browser text size just doesnt sit on the page right, it throws the whole page off

This just me? Or is anyone noticing this too

Maybe its just the meteor update, its like it hasnt been thought through fully or something

Software updates can be complicated and I generally prefer fresh installs for major updates. All meteor probably did was to bundle some extra apps on what Samsung gave them.

Can't help you with the crappy stuff but have you tried Chrome instead of the stock browser?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

danthefan wrote: »
    Just stock 4.0.3. Phone isn't rooted.

Bring it back to the shop I'd say, if it was rooted or you don't mind redownloading your apps and settings I'd say factory reset and/or reflash but if it's all stock it's that bit more difficult to rectify.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I falshed ICS onto my phone about 2 months ago now. Its all running fairly ok, but one thing I lost when upgrading was the Polaris Office application that came on it from the factory. Now I'm using e-Droid cell light and tbh its pretty crap. I've searched the Android market and can't find Polaris anywhere so I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me where I might find it, or can recommend an app (free) thats good for editing excel files?

Any help appreciated.

Top Dog wrote: »
    I falshed ICS onto my phone about 2 months ago now. Its all running fairly ok, but one thing I lost when upgrading was the Polaris Office application that came on it from the factory. Now I'm using e-Droid cell light and tbh its pretty crap. I've searched the Android market and can't find Polaris anywhere so I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me where I might find it, or can recommend an app (free) thats good for editing excel files?

Any help appreciated.

There's a version of Polaris with an update to Resurrection Remix 1.8, (see here - from this thread), you can open that up and inside data>app is PolarisOffice.apk

There may well be other places but that's the first one that sprung to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Has anyone sold one of this used recently?

How much do they go for rooted and unlocked in good condition but used for nearly a year bought from Voda ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Cossax wrote: »
    There's a version of Polaris with an update to Resurrection Remix 1.8, (see here - from this thread), you can open that up and inside data>app is PolarisOffice.apk

There may well be other places but that's the first one that sprung to mind.
    If I could thank you twice I would :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭swanangel

Never had a smartphone before only learning about the android/iphone debate last few days.

Can anyone recommend which is better for first time user?

Heard there is a Samsung 3 out on May 29th and it will be 200euro to buy with bill dunno if I should wait. God all this iphone4s/Samsung debate has left me without a proper working phone cause I dunno what to buy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Has anyone sold one of this used recently?

How much do they go for rooted and unlocked in good condition but used for nearly a year bought from Voda ireland.

I seen a few go for around €250ish on adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Will the price of S2 drop by much once the S3 is released.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

jgbyr wrote: »
    Will the price of S2 drop by much once the S3 is released.
    Nobody knows... but it's unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I seen a few go for around €250ish on adverts.

Cheers. Well that is me getting the note gone out the window anyway can not justify losing 230 on the gs2 in under a year and then spending min 440 on the note.

Unless I go bill pay, damn the big screen and stylus!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭ger34

Anyone care to tell me how to revert back to gingerbread from ics,its bloody terrible.
    Awful batt life,shuts down by itself and indicates unread messages when there are none.
    Phone is not rooted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I've started using juice defender and my battery is much better now

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

ger34 wrote: »
    Anyone care to tell me how to revert back to gingerbread from ics,its bloody terrible.
    Awful batt life,shuts down by itself and indicates unread messages when there are none.
    Phone is not rooted.

Its buggy alright, but I suggest taking a look at some of the tips a page or so back given to me. I found that helped. I also found the application "Draw" which was fun, the main cause of my battery problems. My battery life is back to normal now and I generally get a day out of it, but heavy usage and it doesn't give me a full day (never did). Cant beat the Nokia battery!!

Juice Defender has been recommended numerous times, must try it. I'm convinced those applications are more harm then good, but with the rave reviews ill give it a shot and see if it helps more!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Try CM9 nightly + siyah + Mixer ISC theme (the best theme IMHO).

- Underclock to 25 MHz + undervolt - estimated standby time up to 100h on original battery.
    - Stable as rock
    - LED notification just works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

PrzemoF wrote: »

- Underclock to 25 MHz + undervolt - estimated standby time up to 100h on original battery.
    - Stable as rock

Doesn't setting it to 25Mhz just freeze up the phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

AntiRip wrote: »
    Doesn't setting it to 25Mhz just freeze up the phone?
    Surprise, surprise, but no! It works like I've never changed it. And the CPU is @25MHz for most of the time:
    Screenshot_2012-05-17-10-29-22.png.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Top Dog wrote: »

Any help appreciated.
    You could try Kingsoft Office, it's free.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Can't install apps or move the apps I have to the sd card, keep saying there's insufficient space when there's tons of room left? Tried restarting the phone and it's still happening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

PrzemoF wrote: »

- Stable as rock

Would you might throwing up some links to CM9 nightly, Siyah kernal and Mixer ISC theme. Wouldn't mind giving that a go. Thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭battser

Just wondering what others use in their car for playin music through their S2? I am using poweramp full. What's the best kit for such purpose?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

battser wrote: »
    Just wondering what others use in their car for playin music through their S2? I am using poweramp full. What's the best kit for such purpose?

Bang:Buck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Anybody have any problems with GPS after upgrading to ICS? It was working fine until I changed.

antoobrien wrote: »
    Anybody have any problems with GPS after upgrading to ICS? It was working fine until I changed.

What kind of problems? Mine seems to work fine since the upgrade though I do find (on a custom rom) that the GPS seems to be activating more often than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Cossax wrote: »
    What kind of problems? Mine seems to work fine since the upgrade though I do find (on a custom rom) that the GPS seems to be activating more often than before.

Sorry should have been clearer.

It's not getting a lock. I installed gps test, so it can see the satellites, but it doesn't seem to get a lock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mono_mac

but how do i root a galaxy s2 with official ics--and flash a rom--tried google--can anybody help :(

Advertisement