Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

Anybody know if I upgrade to ICS will it wipe out my viber messages?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

closeline wrote: »
    I am totally lost.could someone explain a bit easier to me.

Google use deserts as names to refer to different iterations of the android OS.

If you go into settings, about phone it'll tell you what software version you are on. Most likely it'll be 2.3.x which is Gingerbread, if it's 4.0.x it'll be ICS (ice cream sandwich). 3.0 Honeycomb refers to tablet OS so you can ignore that, 5.0 and 6.0, Jellybean and kettlecorn respectively haven't been released yet, so you can ignore them also.

Think of it like whether your pc is running windows 98, 2000, XP, Vista, Win 7 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

What the hell happened? So my phone died yesterday,I plugged it in to charge and powered up later. It first started in safe mode so powered down and back again, now my widgets disappeared (can be put back), I've to sign into everything again, and the buttons to start some apps are missing, but I can start them through the play store.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

closeline wrote: »
    jabberwock wrote: »
    Android version 1.5: Cupcake
    Android version 1.6: Donut
    Android version 2.0: Éclair
    Android version 2.2: Frozen Yogurt (Froyo)
    Android version 2.3: Gingerbread
    Android version 3.0: Honeycomb
    Android version 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich
    Android version 5.0: Jelly Bean
    Android version 6.0: “Kettle Corn” (popcorn)
    I am totally lost.could someone explain a bit easier to me.

Android is the name of the phone operating system, by Google. It has different releases, aka versions, editions or iterations, from version 1 to the current version 4. These versions have not just a number, but also a name. So version 4 is nick named Ice Cream Sandwidch.

You should always keep your phone updated to the latest version as new releases come with improvements, bug fixes, stability fixes, security fixes, design changes and so on.

Kies can keep your phone up to date.

Make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭mightyreds

is anybody having trouble with wifi mine the last 2 days is dropping all the time. At home it won't connect unless i turn the router on and off and out its connecting but dropping in and out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Nope. WIFI is perfect on my SGSII

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Phone used to charge up fairly quickly, but now it seems to take around 5 hours! Any reason for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Since the update I am finding the battery to be better and crazily enough, the phone has not randomly turn off since. In nearly two weeks (since the update) it has never turned off, where it used to turn of once a day or so.
    After the upgrade, I had issues with GO Launcher and my mobile network but they seem okay now. Were the edit camera shortcuts always there? Great little feature (Whether it was ICS or not)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Phone used to charge up fairly quickly, but now it seems to take around 5 hours! Any reason for this?

What are you doing with the phone during charge?
    If you are heavy internet / GPS / etc, it will take an age to charge. It may even discharge while "charging" if you are using more power than the charger can provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Bromium

Does anyone know how to restore to the previous firmware before ICS think it was 2.3.6 any help greatly appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

RangeR wrote: »

What are you doing with the phone during charge?
    If you are heavy internet / GPS / etc, it will take an age to charge. It may even discharge while "charging" if you are using more power than the charger can provide.
    Small use, mostly just leaving it alone. I have plugged it in on low battery and came back 2 hours later with it on 20%!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I've noticed that the wifi is poor on ICS (LP7 uk). I cannot get a wifi signal in parts of the house that I was able to before on GB.
    Thought it might be my router but I've ruled that out. A friend was over and his SGS2 is still on GB. No problems at all.

I've also reflashed and still the same. Not a major problem, but a pain all the same.
    mightyreds wrote: »
    is anybody having trouble with wifi mine the last 2 days is dropping all the time. At home it won't connect unless i turn the router on and off and out its connecting but dropping in and out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I've noticed that the wifi is poor on ICS (LP7 uk). I cannot get a wifi signal in parts of the house that I was able to before on GB.
    Thought it might be my router but I've ruled that out. A friend was over and his SGS2 is still on GB. No problems at all.

I've also reflashed and still the same. Not a major problem, but a pain all the same.

I've noticed on the latest CM9 nightly that I flashed today, that my wifi signal around the house is noticeably better than it was before :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Since the update I am finding the battery to be better and crazily enough, the phone has not randomly turn off since. In nearly two weeks (since the update) it has never turned off, where it used to turn of once a day or so.
    After the upgrade, I had issues with GO Launcher and my mobile network but they seem okay now. Were the edit camera shortcuts always there? Great little feature (Whether it was ICS or not)

I also never knew the phone's camera had functions like 'smile shots', panning moving objects and panoramas! Are these new functions or have they been here all the time?

From tonight:
    scaled.php?tn=0&server=863&filename=ebic.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Updated to Resurrection Remix v1.8. I was actually on v1.4 up to yesterday and went back to GB 2.3.6 yesterday before I saw update. So many problems with it especially wifi not connecting. This is the first ROM I've got that the wifi signal is at full bars at the opposite end of house where the router is located. Brilliant snappy ROM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

AntiRip wrote: »
    Updated to Resurrection Remix v1.8. I was actually on v1.4 up to yesterday and went back to GB 2.3.6 yesterday before I saw update. So many problems with it especially wifi not connecting. This is the first ROM I've got that the wifi signal is at full bars at the opposite end of house where the router is located. Brilliant snappy ROM.

Yeah, been pretty impressed with it overall. Good, solid wireless signal and very good battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Rochey18 wrote: »
    The Nexus is €350 from simplyelectronics.net

The Galaxy S2 is €390

Be careful with them. Do a Google search. Lots of problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭markc91

Anyone know a way to lock the screen wile im watching youtube,netflix etc. on the phone??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I'm testing newest siyah kernel (with cm9) with option to underclock to 25 Mhz :eek: and looks like standby time of over 100 hours (4 days) shouldn't be a problem :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

markc91 wrote: »
    Anyone know a way to lock the screen wile im watching youtube,netflix etc. on the phone??
    If you could get it streaming in an app like MX Player that has a lock screen feature, or do you just want the sound and no video?
    I think it will turn off the screen then.
    If you're just listening to music on Youtube, I recommend TinyShark instead.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mxtech.videoplayer.ad
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.exigo.tiny

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

PrzemoF wrote: »
    I'm testing newest siyah kernel (with cm9) with option to underclock to 25 Mhz :eek: and looks like standby time of over 100 hours (4 days) shouldn't be a problem :eek:
    very interesting. is that to 25Mhz or by 25Mhz? Can you change that on the fly? That is enable and disable the underclocking? or is the speed built into the kernel itself? I'd be interested in hearing what the UI feels like at the reduced speed... If it's "to 25Mhz" is it is basically a phone at that speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭markc91

BopNiblets wrote: »
    If you could get it streaming in an app like MX Player that has a lock screen feature, or do you just want the sound and no video?
    I think it will turn off the screen then.
    If you're just listening to music on Youtube, I recommend TinyShark instead.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mxtech.videoplayer.ad
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.exigo.tiny
    I watch the football on my phone but if i hit off the screen it will knock off the football so i need to lock the screen wile im still able to watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Hi Patsy,

Exact same thing happened to me,

I posted a thread on this in the 'Three' forum, got a couple of suggestions but I just disabled all the new apps that appeared as part of the update and that seemed to sort it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056633172

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Daith wrote: »
    Anybody know if I upgrade to ICS will it wipe out my viber messages?

It will not.

croo wrote: »
    very interesting. is that to 25Mhz or by 25Mhz? Can you change that on the fly? That is enable and disable the underclocking? or is the speed built into the kernel itself? I'd be interested in hearing what the UI feels like at the reduced speed... If it's "to 25Mhz" is it is basically a phone at that speed?

It's down to 25MHz, so the total range is 25 MHz to 1600 MHz. Yes, it's being changed on the fly. I don't think UI would be usable at 25 MHz.

http://www.gokhanmoral.com/gm/2012/04/25/siyahkernel-v3-2beta1/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

[QUOTE=PrzemoF;78596493I don't think UI would be usable at 25 MHz[/QUOTE]Indeed, that is what I was thinking... but then considered that perhaps the UI is being handled by the GPU and this was lowering just the CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

Lad's I'm having terrible trouble with wifi since I upgraded to ics in so far as when I turn the widget on it will go green but no reception is there then it won't turn off so I'd have to restart my phone. This happening to anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

AntiRip wrote: »

AntiRip,

Are you on the standard version of v1.8 with the standard Kernel? I'm on v1.4 so I shouldn't need to do a factory wipe, correct? Just flash the ROM, wipe cache partition, wipe dalvik cache, re-boot and bob's your uncle you have the latest version with all your prior apps and settings retained????

Do you need to flash the default Themes and Polaris office ZIP or does that come standard and only needs to be flashed if you've tried the black theme and want to revert to standard??

Ben

smilerf wrote: »
    Lad's I'm having terrible trouble with wifi since I upgraded to ics in so far as when I turn the widget on it will go green but no reception is there then it won't turn off so I'd have to restart my phone. This happening to anyone else?

try cm9 - it's ics based

• Advertisement

croo wrote: »
    Indeed, that is what I was thinking... but then considered that perhaps the UI is being handled by the GPU and this was lowering just the CPU.
    I tried to force 25 MHz as the highest frequency, but that doesn't seem to work.

Advertisement