Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

PrzemoF wrote: »
    smilerf wrote: »
    Lad's I'm having terrible trouble with wifi since I upgraded to ics in so far as when I turn the widget on it will go green but no reception is there then it won't turn off so I'd have to restart my phone. This happening to anyone else?

try cm9 - it's ics based
    should have said I'm on stock. Afraid I'dmake a mess of rooting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

should have said I'm on stock. Afraid I'dmake a mess of rooting
    Go for it - it's easier than it seems to be. After first flashing you'll be wondering what you were afraid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Hey, I just upgraded to a samsung galaxy s2 and I cant send or receive picture messages, I have to log onto vodafone to see them.

Is there a way I can fix this so I can see them on my phone?

Thanks a mill!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭roarlad

Had this issue a while back here is the solution:
    Follow these instructions to set up your phone for picture messaging.
    1. Find "Access Point Names"
    Press Applications.
    Press Settings.
    Press Wireless and network.
    Press Mobile networks.
    Press Access Point Names.

2. Create new data connection
    Press the Menu key.
    Press New APN.

3. Enter data connection name
    Press Name.
    Key in Vodafone MMS and press OK.

4. Enter APN
    Press APN.
    Key in mms.vodafone.net
    Press OK.

5. Enter picture messaging server
    Press MMSC.
    Key in http://www.vodafone.ie/mms and press OK.

6. Enter IP address
    Press MMS proxy.
    Key in 10.24.59.200 and press OK.

7. Enter port number
    Press MMS port.
    Key in 80 and press OK.

8. Enter country code
    Press MCC.
    Key in 272 and press OK.

9. Enter network code
    Press MNC.
    Key in 01 and press OK.

10. Select authentication type
    Press Authentication type.
    Press PAP.

11. Select APN type
    Press APN type.
    Press MMS.

12. Save data connection
    Press the Menu key.
    Press Save.
    Press the Home key to return to standby mode.

13. Find "Settings"
    Press Messaging.
    Press the Menu key.
    Press Settings.

14. Turn request for delivery reports on or off
    Press Delivery reports below Multimedia message (MMS) settings to turn the function on or off.
    When the box next to the menu item is ticked (V), the function is turned on.

15. Select setting for picture message download in home network
    Press Auto-retrieve to turn on the function.

16. Select setting for picture message download when roaming
    Press Roaming auto-retrieve to turn on the function.

17. Exit
    Press the Home key to return to standby mode.

got it here:
    http://www.vodafone.ie/helpsupport/phones/interactive/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Hi Patsy,

Exact same thing happened to me,

I posted a thread on this in the 'Three' forum, got a couple of suggestions but I just disabled all the new apps that appeared as part of the update and that seemed to sort it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056633172

Just, seem this. Will give it a go, hopefully it works,
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Does anyone know where the setting to turn off the voice caller id is?

I've googled it and "readout caller id" isn't an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

roarlad wrote: »
    Had this issue a while back here is the solution:

got it here:
    http://www.vodafone.ie/helpsupport/phones/interactive/

Thanks so much, got it up and running now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i am on cm9 nightly do i need to do a full wipe if i want to update to the latest nightly?

ShaneU wrote: »
    Does anyone know where the setting to turn off the voice caller id is?

I've googled it and "readout caller id" isn't an option.
    found it, language and input > text to speech > driving mode off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

I am currently on 2.3 Gingerbread. Should I update this and how do I do this. Any difficulties?

• Advertisement

closeline wrote: »
    I am currently on 2.3 Gingerbread. Should I update this and how do I do this. Any difficulties?

Yes, use kies http://www.samsung.com/ie/support/usefulsoftware/KIES/JSP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

ShaneU wrote: »

Yes, use kies http://www.samsung.com/ie/support/usefulsoftware/KIES/JSP

Page couldn't be found unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

irishgeo wrote: »
    i am on cm9 nightly do i need to do a full wipe if i want to update to the latest nightly?

No, just wipe the Dalvik, if you use ROM Manager, it'll give you an option for that.

don't bother I'm having nothing but trouble with ics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I'm not convinced I should have bothered either. Wifi connection seems more hit and miss as does the general 2g 3g connection. Not seeing any major battery or performance improvement tbh.

dooferoaks wrote: »

I'm not convinced I should have bothered either. Wifi connection seems more hit and miss as does the general 2g 3g connection. Not seeing any major battery or performance improvement tbh.
    my battery has actually got worse ha ha. Oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Looking to buy this second hand, seen a couple of them on Adverts with a plastic sealing over the box.

When I bought the phone before from meteor it only had the black sticker to seal it.

How come some of them had the box wrapped in plastic?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Rochey18 wrote: »
    How come some of them had the box wrapped in plastic?

Anyone can shrink wrap anything, to give it the appearance of "not been touched".

They don't come in shrink wrapped. They aren't sent out shrink wrapped. They have a small circular "security sticker" that advises you not to purchase if that seal is broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

Just wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem? I was using an app yesterday, “scramble with friends”, when the phone froze on me, I waited a few minutes and couldn’t close the app so I popped the battery out. Then when I put it back in and started up the phone again, I had instantly lost around 30% of the battery power. It’s not the first time I have noticed that happen after a restart either!! Really weird, would love to know what’s causing it??

Ive attached a pic of the battery usage too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

rob w wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem? I was using an app yesterday, “scramble with friends”, when the phone froze on me, I waited a few minutes and couldn’t close the app so I popped the battery out. Then when I put it back in and started up the phone again, I had instantly lost around 30% of the battery power. It’s not the first time I have noticed that happen after a restart either!! Really weird, would love to know what’s causing it??

Ive attached a pic of the battery usage too!!

I imagine that it was the app you were using, while your phone was frozen I imagine the CPU and GPU were working full tilt, also the battery level is not as accurate as everyone believes (that's why it recalibrates itself every few weeks). In short this kind of thing has happened to me a few times, and I've always put it down to the app I was using misbehaving.

Just so you know, you can long press the power button instead of doing a battery pull. You need to hold it down for 10s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Just got OpenVPN working on my ICS SGSII. Sweet.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Since I added ICS to my GSII, my batter is AWFUL. I don't even get half a day. It shuts down randomly. Tonight for example, it shut down. I started it back and the battery had dropped to almost the bottom - that keeps happening.

Same for my partners phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Sully wrote: »
    Since I added ICS to my GSII, my batter is AWFUL. I don't even get half a day. It shuts down randomly. Tonight for example, it shut down. I started it back and the battery had dropped to almost the bottom - that keeps happening.

Same thing happened me, I just disabled a load of the new crap that ICS put onto the phone and seemed to do the trick. Not sure what network you're on, but I posted looking for advice on the Three forum:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056633172
    Some of the responses might help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

BenThere wrote: »
    AntiRip,

Are you on the standard version of v1.8 with the standard Kernel? I'm on v1.4 so I shouldn't need to do a factory wipe, correct? Just flash the ROM, wipe cache partition, wipe dalvik cache, re-boot and bob's your uncle you have the latest version with all your prior apps and settings retained????

Do you need to flash the default Themes and Polaris office ZIP or does that come standard and only needs to be flashed if you've tried the black theme and want to revert to standard??

Ben

Just seen your post few pages back. Exactly just flash and bob's your uncle. There are themes on it alright but no Polaris so you will have to get that alright.

I don't like the black themed Gmail that comes with it though, it's much too dark. Rathered the white one.

Sully wrote: »

Same thing as myself. I have Resurrection Remix ICS 1.8 with Siyah v3.2b8 Kernel. My phone randomly shuts down, three times one day. I had 80% battery and when it rebooted I had 12%. But it's a false battery reading and should steadily go back up and rectify. But the battery isn't great at all.

Give it a few days or a week or so though. Mine is improving and have had no reboot for the last couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

AntiRip wrote: »
    Same thing as myself. I have Resurrection Remix ICS 1.8 with Siyah v3.2b8 Kernel. My phone randomly shuts down, three times one day. I had 80% battery and when it rebooted I had 12%. But it's a false battery reading and should steadily go back up and rectify. But the battery isn't great at all.

Give it a few days or a week or so though. Mine is improving and have had no reboot for the last couple of days.

Would you not flash 1.8.1 and the latest Siyah and see how it goes?

Cossax wrote: »
    Would you not flash 1.8.1 and the latest Siyah and see how it goes?

Will do thanks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Has anyone had an issue with the touchscreen on their SII going completely non responsive? The side button works and I can bring up the menu but I can't unlock the phone. The only thing to do seems to be take out the battery. Any solutions to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

danthefan wrote: »
    Has anyone had an issue with the touchscreen on their SII going completely non responsive? The side button works and I can bring up the menu but I can't unlock the phone. The only thing to do seems to be take out the battery. Any solutions to this?

My first reaction is that sounds like it's software/firmware related rather than hardware, what rom are you on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Cossax wrote: »
    My first reaction is that sounds like it's software/firmware related rather than hardware, what rom are you on?

Just stock 4.0.3. Phone isn't rooted.

Advertisement