Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Moth Recording 2011

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Gardener3

Life went too pear-shaped to keep the winter GMS together (:()but I've got the back door light on tonight and so far recorded Double-striped Pug, Early Thorn and Diurnea fagella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Gardener3 wrote: »
    Life went too pear-shaped to keep the winter GMS together (:()but I've got the back door light on tonight and so far recorded Double-striped Pug, Early Thorn and Diurnea fagella.

I've seen no evidence of moth existence through winter anyway G3 :pac:

Nice to see those at the back door. Just a regular bulb? So far I'm seeing a lot of flies. There are some little things in there that could be moths but I won't look any closer til the morning... that light is very bright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

littlebug wrote: »
    .. that light is very bright!
    You may divert some planes bound for Knock ;)

I did get a few species last Friday night.
    It was 16C here today, maybe even higher tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭thebishop

Ive put the trap out tonight too.First time this year. 12c at the minute very strong wind. Only thing in there so far are a couple of cow dung flies.Made a new PVC trap during the winter,waiting for its first moth.

one very worn dotted border, alive at 8.30am and dead when I went back to it at 9.30am :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Hebrew Character and Common Quaker (New) in the trap last night. Incredibly mild this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭thebishop

Empty trap here.

Four moths this morning. The Common Quaker was present again, as were an unidentified Pug, Plume Moth and a Micro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Gardener3

Nice to see those at the back door. Just a regular bulb?

Yes, just an ordinary 75W on a whitish wall.
    I put the 6W Actinic out last night for the first time this year and recorded:

Pale Brindled Beauty
    Double-striped Pug x 2
    Chestnut x 2
    March Moth
    Clouded Drab x 2
    Common Quaker
    Hebrew Character

The light seemed much dimmer than I remembered - do the battery or light bulb weaken over time as I've had the trap about 18 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

1 Common Quaker and 1 Emmelina Monodactyla last night.

• Advertisement

Yes, just an ordinary 75W on a whitish wall.
    I put the 6W Actinic out last night for the first time this year and recorded:

Pale Brindled Beauty
    Double-striped Pug x 2
    Chestnut x 2
    March Moth
    Clouded Drab x 2
    Common Quaker
    Hebrew Character

The light seemed much dimmer than I remembered - do the battery or light bulb weaken over time as I've had the trap about 18 months?

Nice list. Might be time to get a new bulb, they do tend to wear out.

Common Quaker, Hebrew Character and the Plume Moth from this morning.

194057.JPG

194058.JPG

194059.JPG

Yes, they weaken with use. If you roughly add up how many nights you've used it, it could add up to an awful lot of hours. I reckon my 15W needs replacing after 2 years.

I've been wondering the same about my actinic bulb after just one year. I'll be retiring it after tonight anyway and switching to MV for Friday nights.
    I'll get another actinic bulb anyway as backup as I only want to use the mv once a week.

MV isn't an option for me, it would upset the neighbours. Does anyone know if I upgrade from 15w actinic to 40w would I see a noticeable increase in catch size? I'm using a skinner trap.

Advertisement