Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Aine5

Girls I am blaming you lot for my makeup addiction lately :)

I decided to change foundation and went for Benefits Play stick this time. I had been using Clinque Super Balance for 2 years or so, and even though it is good, I find that coming to end of the bottle it turns an "Orange" color and it can be a little greasy as well.

So I've used the Play Stick both yesterday & today and I have to say it works really well. The shade I got is "Spin the bottle" and the coverage is great.

I also bought "That Gal" primer as I had this a few years back and I have to say I do love it. The texture is gorg and your skin feels like silk after and the smell is devine too. I think it cost around €30, but I'm not sure how long it will last, as it looks quite small. I cant remember how long it lasted me when I had it last time.

I'm trying to be a little more daring with my makeup, especially during the day for work etc, as I just use the min, little foundation and some times some blusher, and some lip balm.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭silverspoon

Ooh just saw on my Facebook that ELF is doing free shipping on orders over £10, code is SOCIALELFEU for Ireland...what shall I get??? Yay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Naked Palette is back on Debenhams.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Lorrrrraine

I really want to buy some illamasqua off of Debenhams.ie, it says it costs 8.50 but then when you go to put it in the cart it's back up at 17 :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Naked Palette is back on Debenhams.ie
    It's out of stock again.

Every time I go to get it, it's gone. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ilovejames

Few bits and bobs that i have picked up lately:

Revlon colourstay in shade buff- I dont think il be buying this again as i find it extremely drying on my skin. Raging because the colour is perfect.

MAC "packed to go" a very stylish girl travel set, as far as i know you can only get this at airports. Comes with the Eye Shadow in Dreammaker, Eye Shadow in Glamour Check, Bronzing Powder in Golden, Cremesheen Glass in Looks Like Sin and Zoom Lash Mascara in Zoomblack. Personally i like this because i have very few MAC products. But in saying that i have a couple of MAC limited edition eyeshadow palettes from the tartan collection and i barely use them preferring the u.d naked palette. Also the mascara is not the best i honestly prefer my cheapo essence one.

Im loving the sleek blushes at the moment, especially flamingo and pixie pink, i got mine in England, i think you can order online but i also found a dupe for flamingo its by W7 and its called "cheek of it" and was like 3euro in a small makeup shop called foundations in carlow town.

hair products im loving are the dove intensive repair shampoo and conditioner, i have just discovered batiste hair shampoo (where have i been!!?) love it for giving volume or when im feeling lazy!

i also picked up the Revlon grey suede nail varnish ( i think this was popular last year) and im not sure if i like it or not. has any one else here tried it?

Im on the look out for some new brushes especially blush and foundation, i have the 187 and 190 mac, is there such a thing as a big big foundation brush thats bigger than the 190?? thanks girlies x

ilovejames wrote: »

Revlon colourstay in shade buff- I dont think il be buying this again as i find it extremely drying on my skin. Raging because the colour is perfect.

MAC "packed to go" a very stylish girl travel set, as far as i know you can only get this at airports. Comes with the Eye Shadow in Dreammaker, Eye Shadow in Glamour Check, Bronzing Powder in Golden, Cremesheen Glass in Looks Like Sin and Zoom Lash Mascara in Zoomblack. Personally i like this because i have very few MAC products. But in saying that i have a couple of MAC limited edition eyeshadow palettes from the tartan collection and i barely use them preferring the u.d naked palette. Also the mascara is not the best i honestly prefer my cheapo essence one.

Im loving the sleek blushes at the moment, especially flamingo and pixie pink, i got mine in England, i think you can order online but i also found a dupe for flamingo its by W7 and its called "cheek of it" and was like 3euro in a small makeup shop called foundations in carlow town.

hair products im loving are the dove intensive repair shampoo and conditioner, i have just discovered batiste hair shampoo (where have i been!!?) love it for giving volume or when im feeling lazy!

i also picked up the Revlon grey suede nail varnish ( i think this was popular last year) and im not sure if i like it or not. has any one else here tried it?

Im on the look out for some new brushes especially blush and foundation, i have the 187 and 190 mac, is there such a thing as a big big foundation brush thats bigger than the 190?? thanks girlies x

Louise Young has a bigger brush, the YL02
    http://www.louiseyoungcosmetics.com/foundation.php

I wear this foundation in that shade too and you're right in saying that it is quite drying, particularly if, as I'm assuming you do if you notice it, you have skin on the drier side, like myself. The dry/normal formulation isn't as drying but the coverage isn't as good, so I go for the oily/combination formulation, whack on a good bit of moisturiser and work with it that way. I remember a pixiwoo video offering the tip that if you put on your moisturiser with your foundation brush before using your foundation, the brush doesn't grab as much foundation and it leaves a lighter finish. If I have time, I find the best way of applying it is with a damp sponge and it never gets cakey - but layering the foundation to get the right coverage takes a bit of time. But it looks absolutely flawless.

thanks for that silverspoon, when i take my time it turns out a lot better but when im in a rush and just slap on moisturiser and then the colourstay i notice it gets cakey and dry looking around the nose/mouth. Mine is the normal/dry skin one i think. when i apply it in the evening i do add a squirt of a different foundation and this seems to make it more dewy and less drying. Its the one foundation that i have found that does not make me look orange so im going to try out the damp sponge, is it just the normal flat oval makeup sponges that you use?

I might try the revlon photoready next time but some people say its kind of glittery in certain lights. Has anyone here been using the photoready one?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Hey Ilovejames,
    I use the colorstay too. I find the wedge shaped sponges good for getting into corners of the face like around nose etc. When the sponge is damp it defo helps to move it around before it dries in (which is so fast!) I asked the same about the photoready. Around about page 5 I got some advice. Hope that helps :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Daisy!

I use the dry/normal Colourstay, I found the oily one didn't suit me at all, it's completely different texture and made my face look dirty after a while. Take your time and have plenty of moisturiser. It isn't the easiest foundation to apply unfortunately but I love it. Keep away from photoready, depends on your skin though but I found it was useless. Far too shiny/glittery in certain lights too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

How much was the travel set if you don't mind me asking? I'm thinking of asking my mom to pick me up the 'Girl Next Door' set when she goes away next week. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭1306

This forum has got me addicted to YouTube tutorials.. Iv been watching them all day instead of studying whoopsy!

Anyways just ordered my 88 colour eyeshadow palette from eBay (the coastal scents one)... Anyone got this?? Dunno if I'll even use half of the colours but for €11 you can't go wrong!

How much was the travel set if you don't mind me asking? I'm thinking of asking my mom to pick me up the 'Girl Next Door' set when she goes away next week. :)

hey, i think it was around 36euro or that, which is brilliant for what you get in it.:)

1306 wrote: »
    This forum has got me addicted to YouTube tutorials.. Iv been watching them all day instead of studying whoopsy!

Anyways just ordered my 88 colour eyeshadow palette from eBay (the coastal scents one)... Anyone got this?? Dunno if I'll even use half of the colours but for €11 you can't go wrong!

Oooh I've been eyeing up stuff on the Fraulein 38 website which seems to be the same stuff, really tempted to take the plunge!!! Let us know how you get on!!

Just got my 88 palette and gel liner this morning! I was like a kid at christmas opening 'em. Anyway, I've calmed down and have been playing with it all morning, glad I bought it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Finally got my E.L.F stuff on the weekend!:

Corrective Concealer: Haven't used this yet!
    Cream eyeliner in Purple: Lovely colour and really long lasting, lasted the whole day without a smudge, really suprised!
    Cream Eyeliner in Blue: More of a dark grey colour. Haven't worn properly yet. These eyeliners came with little angled brushes which despite the size I really, really liked. They made application a lot easier than using the pointed brush that came with my Maybeline gel eyeliner.
    Zit Zapper: Love love love! Cleared up my t-zone like you wouldn't believe!
    Eye Primer: Also delighted with this one! I have an Urban Decay primer but I don't like using it everyday because it's so darn small and I don't want to use it all up so I got this and I think I actually prefer it to the UD one!
    Eye Widener: Just a regular ol' white eyeliner. Has a handy sharpener in the lid :D

And went a bit mad today and got some Urban Decay stuff up in the Makeup stop because they had a free duo fibre foundation brush with purchases over E30:

Smoke Out Powder Eyeliner Pencil in Mary Jane: I've never really been able to achieve smokey eyes before because I am *that* pale it's always looked weird on me, but this is a lovely grey shade. I tried it under the eye and it doesn't make me look like a halloween character :)
    Eyeshadow in Heist: Lovely purple shade, haven't worn it yet.
    Eyeshadow in ABC Gum: Pale peach colour, also unworn.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭sunshine rose

I got the new Maybelline Gel eyeliner over the weekend. It's surprisingly good, it applies really smoothly and the brush that comes with it is brilliant. It doesn't have the best staying power though, I wore it yesterday and by the end of the day the colour had faded slightly and become smudged. For around €10 though, it's a decent gel eyeliner that I will be using. I hope they make more colours available!

Right, been wearing my Coastal Scents gel liner for 12 hours now. I look like Alice Cooper! So much smudging, tut. I'll set it with a shadow tomorrow and see if it copes any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

I got the new Maybelline Gel eyeliner over the weekend. It's surprisingly good, it applies really smoothly and the brush that comes with it is brilliant. It doesn't have the best staying power though, I wore it yesterday and by the end of the day the colour had faded slightly and become smudged. For around €10 though, it's a decent gel eyeliner that I will be using. I hope they make more colours available!

Do you use a primer with it? I find mine doesn't budge/smudge/fade at all with a primer.. haven't tried it without.

• Advertisement

Do you use a primer with it? I find mine doesn't budge/smudge/fade at all with a primer.. haven't tried it without.

Yea, I always user urban decay's primer potion and I never have any problem with my eyeshadows/various other eyeliners smudging. It just mustn't like me:(:P

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭ciara95

Yea, I always user urban decay's primer potion and I never have any problem with my eyeshadows/various other eyeliners smudging. It just mustn't like me:(:P

Do you have slightly oily skin on your eyelids. Try using Pressed powder on your eyelids before applying the liner.
    Or put black eyeshadow on over the liner.
    Hope they help a bit, as its a great liner!

ciara95 wrote: »
    Do you have slightly oily skin on your eyelids. Try using Pressed powder on your eyelids before applying the liner.
    Or put black eyeshadow on over the liner.
    Hope they help a bit, as its a great liner!

No I don't have particularly oil eyelids and I've never had this problem with MAC's fluidliners so I don't really know why this should be any different:confused: But I'll definitely try the black shadow, thanks!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Just ordered a new bottle of Seche Vite on feelunique.com. Got a 10% discount code so it was nice and cheap! I love this stuff, no waiting around for your polish to dry! Also adds a nice shine to your nails.

83005.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭1306

Got the maybelline gel liner yesterday and I LOVE it! Wore it out last night and it was still on my eyes this morning! (didn't remove makeup whoopsy!) defo recommend it really easy to apply compared to liquid liner. Also got the new maybelline one by one mascara gives great volume!

Hey all, sad to see this thread get neglected!! Anyway, put an ELF order in about ten days ago, got it last Friday and I thought I'd give you my first impressions.

I got five things:

Professional Bronzing Brush [E1.70]: It's OK. Not as scratchy as reviews I've read/seen on it have said, but it's quite small, a bit too small for a contour/bronzing brush. Like I said, don't find it scratchy and it does the job, blends OK. Not overwhelmed with it or anything, but I do like it well enough!

Fan Brush [E1.70]: Got this out of sheer curiosity as to what a fan brush does. It's way too flimsy; I have no experience with fan brushes but I can tell that this isn't a great one. It does apply a sheer wash of blush which is nice, but it wastes product because I have to swipe at my blush quite a bit for any pick-up. It's just way too soft, not enough hair, and I can't see this being what a fan brush is meant to be like. I'll find a use for it, and it looks cool enough in my brush holder (:o) but it's not fantastic, or even good.

Eyelid Primer [E1.70]: I quite like this. It's not as good as the Urban Decay one, because it doesn't have that slight tackiness to make a shadow 'pop' but since I use neutrals mostly, I don't really have a problem with that. I'd use the Urban Decay at night and this during the day; eyeshadow is easier to apply and stays on, colour is a little more intense - couldn't really ask for more from a E1.70 product!!

Studio Golden Bronzer [E4.00]: I'm pale, so this works. Pretty shimmery so not the most fantastic contour, but I like it because it warms up my face without being orangey. The four colours are nice swirled together, not too orange or yellowy-golden, and separately can be used to highlight, bronze and there's even a slightly pinker-toned 'quarter' that could be used as a blush. Also good as an eyeshadow quad! So I really like this, it's versatile, it's not dark, and the colours themselves are nice. Pity it's just that bit shimmery!

Studio Complexion Perfection [E4.00]: I was just so curious about this! It's a powder with four colours - blue, yellow, pink and green - and you're supposed to use them to colour correct - e.g., pink for undereye circles, green for redness etc. I wear them all swirled together so the powder looks white; a light hand and it brightens the skin and does neutralise colour. It's such a soft, finely milled powder and very comfortable to wear. It doesn't provide any coverage but I really like the brightening effect and how well it works as a setting powder. It's a bit gimmicky and can look ashy if too much is applied but it looks lovely with a light hand and I really like it. I get annoyed wearing face powders normally because I find that they can look a bit uneven in colour tone, and I don't like when coverage is added when I just want to mattify. So this works a treat for me.

Hope this helps anyone, most of the ELF stuff is worth a punt since it is so cheap. Only thing I thought was not good was the fan brush but maybe I've got fan brushes wrong and they're supposed to be flimsy? I really don't think so though, this is so flimsy as to be barely able to pick up powder. Might be nice for eyeshadow fallout. Will report back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

Fan Brush [E1.70]: Got this out of sheer curiosity as to what a fan brush does. It's way too flimsy; I have no experience with fan brushes but I can tell that this isn't a great one. It does apply a sheer wash of blush which is nice, but it wastes product because I have to swipe at my blush quite a bit for any pick-up. It's just way too soft, not enough hair, and I can't see this being what a fan brush is meant to be like. I'll find a use for it, and it looks cool enough in my brush holder (:o) but it's not fantastic, or even good.

I have a fan brush that ii use to sweep away any eyeshadow that falls onto my face when putting it on..the flimsyness helps tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I got the all over cover stick from ELF a while back but only got around to using it yesterday.

Complete outbreak of spots all over my face today :(

I got the all over cover stick from ELF a while back but only got around to using it yesterday.

Complete outbreak of spots all over my face today :(

Oh that's really disappointing! Do you have sensitive skin? I think I might avoid anyway if you had a reaction like that! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭pencilsharp

Hey all, sad to see this thread get neglected!! Anyway, put an ELF order in about ten days ago, got it last Friday and I thought I'd give you my first impressions.

I got five things:

Professional Bronzing Brush [E1.70]: It's OK. Not as scratchy as reviews I've read/seen on it have said, but it's quite small, a bit too small for a contour/bronzing brush. Like I said, don't find it scratchy and it does the job, blends OK. Not overwhelmed with it or anything, but I do like it well enough!

Eyelid Primer [E1.70]: I quite like this. It's not as good as the Urban Decay one, because it doesn't have that slight tackiness to make a shadow 'pop' but since I use neutrals mostly, I don't really have a problem with that. I'd use the Urban Decay at night and this during the day; eyeshadow is easier to apply and stays on, colour is a little more intense - couldn't really ask for more from a E1.70 product!!

Studio Golden Bronzer [E4.00]: I'm pale, so this works. Pretty shimmery so not the most fantastic contour, but I like it because it warms up my face without being orangey. The four colours are nice swirled together, not too orange or yellowy-golden, and separately can be used to highlight, bronze and there's even a slightly pinker-toned 'quarter' that could be used as a blush. Also good as an eyeshadow quad! So I really like this, it's versatile, it's not dark, and the colours themselves are nice. Pity it's just that bit shimmery!

Studio Complexion Perfection [E4.00]: I was just so curious about this! It's a powder with four colours - blue, yellow, pink and green - and you're supposed to use them to colour correct - e.g., pink for undereye circles, green for redness etc. I wear them all swirled together so the powder looks white; a light hand and it brightens the skin and does neutralise colour. It's such a soft, finely milled powder and very comfortable to wear. It doesn't provide any coverage but I really like the brightening effect and how well it works as a setting powder. It's a bit gimmicky and can look ashy if too much is applied but it looks lovely with a light hand and I really like it. I get annoyed wearing face powders normally because I find that they can look a bit uneven in colour tone, and I don't like when coverage is added when I just want to mattify. So this works a treat for me.

Hope this helps anyone, most of the ELF stuff is worth a punt since it is so cheap. Only thing I thought was not good was the fan brush but maybe I've got fan brushes wrong and they're supposed to be flimsy? I really don't think so though, this is so flimsy as to be barely able to pick up powder. Might be nice for eyeshadow fallout. Will report back!

I have the professional bronzing brush too and really like it. I find it great for adding a touch of colour to my cheeks! I also have the studion complexion perfection which I use with the bronzing brush and they are a great combination! I guess we can't go wrong for such cheap prices although I find some of their products as good as some of the more expensive counterparts!

I got the Bad Gal mascara from Benefit about three weeks ago and love it, I've never used a mascara that makes my lashes look so long and thick but I find its really dried but and thats only after three weeks-anyone else experience this problem? Really disappointed!

Advertisement