Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

For Christmas my boyfriend got me the Vichy Idealia face cream and so far I am loving it. It leaves my skin like velvet. My skin is combination-oily, but in the cream I got the cream for dry skin and it hasn't irritated my skin at all. It's just as good as the Estee Lauder Hydrationist cream but half the price. The EL cream is €47.99 and the Vichy one is about €27 I think. Bargain!!

http://www.boots.ie/en/Vichy-Idealia-Smoothing-and-Illuminating-Cream-For-Dry-Skin-50ml_1277146/

I love the serum from the range as well so think I may purchase that this week as I have Boots vouchers to use up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

Picked up some half price sets in Boots and Lush today. I'm gonna smell gorgeous ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭whatever76

Any reviews on this product - thinking of purchasing !
    emmahardie - moringa cleansing balm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

whatever76 wrote: »
    I almost bought it last night on feel unique but got Clinique take the day off cleansing balm in boots today using my points instead.

I think I'll add the Emma hardie to my present wish list

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Bare minerals starter kit in Light. Love it!! Really nice set - foundation, matte powder, loose bronzing powder, mini primer and 3 brushes. Makes my skin look natural and clear. I'll definitely buy it again when it runs out.

Also got Smashbox On the Rocks eyeshadow set. Nice colours and ones that I'd actually use. Shadow stays on for ages too. I like that they include pictures of looks you can try with the colours because I never know what goes well together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced alternative to rimmel stay matte powder? It's great and so cheap but the lid always breaks on me before I'm even halfway through. I really need an alternative for my make up bag as I've given up on trying to bring it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

The suede effect powders by Sleek are meant to be good. Never used them myself so can't speak from experience.

http://www.boots.ie/en/Sleek-MakeUp-Suede-Effect-Pressed-Powder-10-5g_1395793/

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

The suede effect powders by Sleek are meant to be good. Never used them myself so can't speak from experience.

Thanks - the Sleek packaging is great for the price so that's a good start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

I found this great http://www.catrice.eu/products/base-primer/detail/product/prime-and-fine-mattifying-powder-waterproof-010.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced alternative to rimmel stay matte powder? It's great and so cheap but the lid always breaks on me before I'm even halfway through. I really need an alternative for my make up bag as I've given up on trying to bring it anywhere.

If you're looking for a translucent powder, the Soap and Glory "One Heck of a Blot" is quite good. A bit more expensive than the Rimmel powder but it's a great powder, sturdy packaging (complete with a mirror) and available in most Boots :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Another vote here for S&G One Heck of a Blot powder. It's around the €12-15 mark so a bit more expensive but it's a lovely product. And I love the compact packaging!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

whatever76 wrote: »

I use this. It is a brilliant product. My skin has a lovely glow to it since I started using it. I don't really get spots but I do have quite dirty pores around my mouth (I drive a bike) and I find it's great on that area in particular.
    My sister has oily spot prone problem skin and also loves cleansing balms.

The Emma Hardie one is really expensive, you should have a look at some of the cheaper ones, particularly Clinique Take the Day Off which is a brilliant cleansing balm for approx. €15 less, to see if cleansing balms are for you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

ciara1052 wrote: »
    it looks amazing on you! (your skin looks flawless) I have B10 (so beige I guess) It might be the pink toned one I need! I've typical Irish skin (pink basically) but can have slight redness in areas. Thanks so much for posting the picture/reply. I definitely want to keep the foundation!

Thank you! I also get red around my nose and chin, so I use the foundation with Max Factor primer under and Mac Mineralise powder over, and just a scrape of Mac Pro Longwear concealer where needed and it seems to be my dream team of products! It's great coverage without looking caked on.

I use a stippling brush to apply, found my buffing type one didn't work as well.

I am now on a beauty ban :( January shall be a lean month!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I got Charlotte Tilbury's lip pencil in Pillow Talk from Brown Thomas last week, haven't tried it yet as it was expensive enough (22 euro) but looking forward to giving it a go! :)
    455959_in_pp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Some NARS eyeshadows :)

Giove (navy)
    0607845019350.jpg?sw=525

Dione (metallic champagne)
    0607845019275.jpg?sw=525

Mekong (espresso with gold shimmer)
    0607845020684.jpg?sw=525

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

Valentina wrote: »
    Some NARS eyeshadows :)

I LOVE NARS

my boyfriend got me my foundation,bronzer,mascara,concealer as part as my xmas present!(joys of BT keeping your details on file!!)
    he also got me a make up brush (55euro!!!!)
    which i returned to get store credit!!( crazy amount on a brush!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

Luno wrote: »
    I got Charlotte Tilbury's lip pencil in Pillow Talk from Brown Thomas last week, haven't tried it yet as it was expensive enough (22 euro) but looking forward to giving it a go! :)

my brothers girlfriend is mad for her make up..
    Ive never seen it, nor heard anyone else talk about it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

shakencat wrote: »
    my brothers girlfriend is mad for her make up..
    Ive never seen it, nor heard anyone else talk about it!!

Charlotte is definitely a newcomer to the scene, I've been a little apprehensive about trying any of her line. She's been acclaimed by many of the blogging world (Irish bloggers included) so I decided to try this and see if it lives up to the hype!

^ The blogger Amelia Liana in particular is mad about that lip liner, heard her say recently she's on her third one! Would love to hear how you like it though, if it's worth the price/hype. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Personally the Charlotte tilbury line puts me in mind of Constance Carroll that you buy in pound shops.

The packaging is cheap, plastic and very 80's for my liking.

I actually don't know what I'd have to do to be on a third lip liner from an only recently launched line.... Writing Christmas cards maybe? :D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Personally the Charlotte tilbury line puts me in mind of Constance Carroll that you buy in pound shops.

I actually don't know what I'd have to do to be on a third lip liner from an only recently launched line.... Writing Christmas cards maybe? :D;)

But have you used the products?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I got a couple of Charlotte Tilbury lipsticks for Christmas. I quite like the gold packaging - it's different to my usual black MAC or Bobbi Brown lipsticks. I think it has a 1940's vibe. :D

The colours I got were Nude Kate and Coachella Coral. I love both; they're creamy and glide on for good coverage but don't feel heavy or drying. I wore the Coral one to a party and was drinking wine but it didn't come off on the glass and when it eventually faded it did so very evenly. I've gotten lots if compliments on the colours and gave already passed on the names to friends who want to check them out for themselves.

I'd love to try out some of her eyeshadow pencils. Anyone here tried them?

If you're in Brown Thomas Dublin, her line is not currently with the other cosmetics, it's upstairs on the same floor that has the glass walkway to the car park :)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Little Lion Woman

The line was launched in Brown Thomas in September or thereabouts in 2014 but its been available in the UK for longer (not sure how long)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Little Lion Woman

Valentina wrote: »
    I got a couple of Charlotte Tilbury lipsticks for Christmas. I quite like the gold packaging - it's different to my usual black MAC or Bobbi Brown lipsticks. I think it has a 1940's vibe. :D

The colours I got were Nude Kate and Coachella Coral. I love both; they're creamy and glide on for good coverage but don't feel heavy or drying. I wore the Coral one to a party and was drinking wine but it didn't come off on the glass and when it eventually faded it did so very evenly. I've gotten lots if compliments on the colours and gave already passed on the names to friends who want to check them out for themselves.

I'd love to try out some of her eyeshadow pencils. Anyone here tried them?

If you're in Brown Thomas Dublin, her line is not currently with the other cosmetics, it's upstairs on the same floor that has the glass walkway to the car park :)

There's a section upstairs but she also does have a counter on the ground floor. It's behind NARS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

I bought the eye liner and one of the eye shadow palettes from Charlotte Tilbury before Christmas which I really like. However I got the full makeover in store and I really didn't like the foundation, powder or blusher from the range, way too heavy for me. I was unrecognisable after she finished and not in a good way!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I had my make up done at Charlotte Tilbury for my birthday and it was gorgeous! Loved the finish of the products and it lasted all night. I bought an eyeshadow palette which I have pretty much used every day since! Pillow Talk is next on my list. Mmmmmmaybe a lipstick too!

It's actually fantastic to hear you all talking about liking CT products. It's hard to know sometimes how transparent bloggers are being when they're hyping a product, but to hear praise from you guys is much more reliable! I don't get to Dublin very often but I think the next time I'm up, I'm just going to have to treat myself to one of her products. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

cactusgal wrote: »
    But have you used the products?

Nope, I wouldn't buy them based on the packaging and price point. They just don't appeal to me at all. I guess we're all drawn to different things :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Love the look of her makeup line I actually love the packaging but it's all sooooo expensive! Would love to try her range out though especially the bombshell set but at €185 it's waaay out of my budget. It's valentines soon so maybe.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Advertisement