Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus route 38 route - changed?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Customer research has indicated a preference for cross-city routes, and as part of our Network Direct Project we have implemented a number of these services. Due to the driving time and distance involved and the removal of city centre termini, we must now provide a relief driver mid-trip on some services.
    However, in some circumstances there may be variability in handover times due to traffic volumes or human error.
    I can confirm that all reports regarding handover delays are investigated thoroughly, and whatever action is deemed necessary to prevent a repeat or recurrence will be taken.

On behalf of Dublin Bus please accept our apologies and thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.
    Regards,

Think you need to read my last post re the relief driver.

The marketing team at Dublin Bus look like they have ahd a very big hand in that email. The reason more routes have gone cross city is primarily due to the resources it saves as there is less dead time so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Bazzer2

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Not angry or little "mate". Your smiley and smart comments would suggest you are.

A driver starting the 39a route in the morning on his first drive of the day is not fatigued.

Think you need to read my last post re the relief driver.

You picked the right name for yourself, didn't you?
    Have a nice day now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

devnull wrote: »
    The marketing team at Dublin Bus look like they have ahd a very big hand in that email. The reason more routes have gone cross city is primarily due to the resources it saves as there is less dead time so to speak.

It combines routes to the same aim.

That said I can't complain the changes to the 37 suite me perfectly. The bus leaves me door to door. The bus is still the slowest way to cross town though, so I don't use it that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Bazzer2 wrote: »
    You picked the right name for yourself, didn't you?
    Have a nice day now.

:D

Thanks for your contributions.

37 this evening flew to the final stop without needlessly stopping in town. No consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Curious one tonight (and annoying).

First time in about 2 years I've got out of the office before 6pm. Ran to Leeson St and was happy to see that the 17.50 38A was one minute away according to the RTPI and it indeed turned up as stated displaying 38A. Happy days, I'll be home ~30 mins earlier than normal (usually aim for 18.30 bus).

Except when its gets to the Auburn Ave roundabout, much to the bafflement of myself and the dozen or so people sitting near me upstairs, it turns left and does the slow journey up Auburn Avenue and on through Castleknock village, traffic not surprisingly is fairly fubared at this time on those tight roads. End result I get home only about 5 minutes before if I'd got my usual 18.30.
    I glance back at the bus and sure enough in some miracle reminiscent of Jesus's water into wine trick, the 38A I got on has magically transformed into a 38 at some stage of the journey.

It strikes me at times that the people running the operation in the background can't have a braincell between them, if they really think this sort of thing is acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Anyone know if there is some sort of unofficial summer schedule in operation?

I finish work at 19.30 on Wednesdays and the last 3 of those Wednesdays the 19.40 38A from Baggot St hasn't turned up. Nothing on the RTPI either at any of the stops on its journey, so its definitely not that I missed it.

Nothing on dublinbus.ie to indicate any change. The first time I put down to one of those things, second time to co-incidence, hard to be so blase about a third time though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Bazzer2

Dublin Bus are currently understaffed by almost 100 drivers, but there's no sign of the company recruiting to make up the shortfall. This, combined with staff on summer holidays, will lead to certain journeys not operating.

Hardly an ideal situation, but that's where it's at. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Bazzer2 wrote: »
    Dublin Bus are currently understaffed by almost 100 drivers, but there's no sign of the company recruiting to make up the shortfall. This, combined with staff on summer holidays, will lead to certain journeys not operating.

Hardly an ideal situation, but that's where it's at. :(

I don't think they can. A few years ago they had too many drivers with plenty covering the spare shift just sitting in the garage for a few hours with no cover needed from them. I find it kind of funny that they've left themselves in a position where they don't have enough drivers and have to cut some of the routes short, or transfer passengers to other buses so they can try to service the areas with the main volume of passengers on an Ad Hoc basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

They'd free up some more drivers if they finished up with Network Direct?

Advertisement