Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus route 38 route - changed?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Bazzer2 wrote: »
    Jaysoose: You have repeatedly been offered help, explanations and advice. You choose to accept none. Tough.

Meanmachine: Conserve your energy. As a bus driver, you should know that there are some people you just can't help and will never be satisfied, no matter how many times explanations are offered.

WTF help, explanations and advice? Do You mean meanmachines passive agressive and to be honest incredibly patronising post from last night? Do you mean the denial that the route has changed? Advice?

I have been offered excuses from drivers as to why management are forcing them to do this that and the other, not once has it even been acknowledged on here that the route has changed which it clearly has.

If you dont like that im not accepting the answers then thats your own problem, im simply looking for people opinions on this route and why dublin bus are deciding to change it without giving any information to the people that pay the fares. There is no definitive answer to this question and these boards are about an exchange of views.

At the end of the day im not surprised at the tone of yours and meanmachines posts as it is indicative of the attitude shown by the drivers i deal with on my commute. There seems to be a prevailing belief that passengers are simply here to give drivers and db management a living and no consideration is given to them when implementing changes to routes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Jaysoose wrote: »
    WTF help, explanations and advice? Do You mean meanmachines passive agressive and to be honest incredibly patronising post from last night? Do you mean the denial that the route has changed? Advice?

I have been offered excuses from drivers as to why management are forcing them to do this that and the other, not once has it even been acknowledged on here that the route has changed which it clearly has.

If you dont like that im not accepting the answers then thats your own problem, im simply looking for people opinions on this route and why dublin bus are deciding to change it without giving any information to the people that pay the fares. There is no definitive answer to this question and these boards are about an exchange of views.

At the end of the day im not surprised at the tone of yours and meanmachines posts as it is indicative of the attitude shown by the drivers i deal with on my commute. There seems to be a prevailing belief that passengers are simply here to give drivers and db management a living and no consideration is given to them when implementing changes to routes etc.

Jaysoose - there has been no official change in the timetable.

What is happening is that (as I explained to you above) the timetable is just simply impossible to operate for certain journeys as it does not allow sufficient time for the bus to complete the outbound and inbound journey.

Therefore, controllers are faced with the dilemma that buses and drivers are not where they should be at a particular point in time and have to make an operational decision to either:
    1) Operate a short working to College Street; or
    2) Cancel a trip altogether

What you have described above is option 1. This happens from time to time on other routes, but is not noticed as much as it only happens where there is traffic congestion etc., and passengers are usually transferred to another bus in order to complete their journey.

Controllers do have the right to cut a journey short on any route where necessary from an operational perspective. In the case of buses leaving Damastown displaying College Green or O'Connell Street they may well be running sufficiently late that the controller makes the decision to operate the service short to College Green before it departs. However, I would agree that this is of no help to anyone going to beyond College Green.

The reason you are seeing it on route 38/a and indeed routes 39/a is that the rosters that were implemented in October are (at certain times) not fit for purpose and controllers are having to make operational decisions every day in order to get buses and drivers back on schedule. The same thing has happened on routes 145, 46a, 47 and 63 when they were reorganised as part of the Network Direct problem - each of these routes has had to have short workings operating at certain times in order to get buses back on schedule.

Routes 46a, 47 and 63 all now have new rosters and timetables that allow sufficient time to get from one end of the route to the other and for the public timetable to operate properly. That is still outstanding for the 38/a, 39/a and 145 but is from what I've read in the pipeline.

It should never take this long to resolve, but it has. The basic problem is that the rosters on routes 38/a as designed when the Network Direct project was implemented were impossible to operate at certain times. If the controllers did not cut the journey short then the problems would continue with more and more time lost during the day with the result that an entire journey would be lost.

That is what has been happening for four months since the new timetables/rosters were introduced. The issue is now finally about to be addressed with new rosters, but it should never have been left for four months like this. Don't ask me why impossible rosters/timetables were introduced as I don't know, but that is the situation.

For clarification - I have no affiliation with any party involved in this.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Jaysoose - there has been no official change in the timetable.

What is happening is that (as I explained to you above) the timetable is just simply impossible to operate for certain journeys as it does not allow sufficient time for the bus to complete the outbound and inbound journey.

Therefore, controllers are faced with the dilemma that buses and drivers are not where they should be at a particular point in time and have to make an operational decision to either:
    1) Operate a short working to College Street; or
    2) Cancel a trip altogether

What you have described above is option 1. This happens from time to time on other routes, but is not noticed as much as it only happens where there is traffic congestion etc., and passengers are usually transferred to another bus in order to complete their journey.

Controllers do have the right to cut a journey short on any route where necessary from an operational perspective. In the case of buses leaving Damastown displaying College Green or O'Connell Street they may well be running sufficiently late that the controller makes the decision to operate the service short to College Green before it departs. However, I would agree that this is of no help to anyone going to beyond College Green.

The reason you are seeing it on route 38/a and indeed routes 39/a is that the rosters that were implemented in October are (at certain times) not fit for purpose and controllers are having to make operational decisions every day in order to get buses and drivers back on schedule. The same thing has happened on routes 145, 46a, 47 and 63 when they were reorganised as part of the Network Direct problem - each of these routes has had to have short workings operating at certain times in order to get buses back on schedule.

Routes 46a, 47 and 63 all now have new rosters and timetables that allow sufficient time to get from one end of the route to the other and for the public timetable to operate properly. That is still outstanding for the 38/a, 39/a and 145 but is from what I've read in the pipeline.

It should never take this long to resolve, but it has. The basic problem is that the rosters on routes 38/a as designed when the Network Direct project was implemented were impossible to operate at certain times. If the controllers did not cut the journey short then the problems would continue with more and more time lost during the day with the result that an entire journey would be lost.

That is what has been happening for four months since the new timetables/rosters were introduced. The issue is now finally about to be addressed with new rosters, but it should never have been left for four months like this.

For clarification - I have no affiliation with any party involved in this.

Ok so basically the schedule on the 38 and 38/a since the removal of buses and increases in waiting times since the implementation of network direct has made it impossible for buses to run to the times on the timetables. I have no issue with this and understand that all businesses have to implement changes to meet operational demands.

My issue is the comeplete lack of information and refusal to accept the fact that the route has changed from what is on the timetables both at the stops and on the website.

It clearly states Baggot street on both when in fact a large percentage of the buses are not running to baggot street but Oconnell street..if this isnt a change of route im a leprechaun.

The controllers are changing the routes to create the illusion that network direct is not a complete disaster and the people who are getting shafted are the passengers as per usual.

I appreciate your post and dont get me wrong im not attacking you im attacking the constant denial that changing the destination which the 38 or 38a runs to is somehow deemed not a route change.

Its like saying that night is day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

Bazzer2 wrote: »
    Meanmachine: Conserve your energy. As a bus driver, you should know that there are some people you just can't help and will never be satisfied, no matter how many times explanations are offered.
    i'm trying bazzer, i'm tryin really hard.:D
    WTF help, explanations and advice? Do You mean meanmachines passive agressive and to be honest incredibly patronising post from last night?
    if you have a problem with my post from last night please feel free to report me, or if you want i'll report me for ya.:D. those that know me from posting and the tone of my posts would know that was nothing. in fact it would be one of the mildest posts i've made on these kind of threads.
    OK jaysoose you win it was changed. months ago. when it went from hawkins street to burlington mews :D
    im simply looking for people opinions on this route and why dublin bus are deciding to change it without giving any information to the people that pay the fares. .
    no, you've a big gripe with bus drivers and dublin bus and you looking to add fuel to the fire.
    I have made sent in numerous complaints and am still waiting on responses.
    hence my replies of "ring phibsboro garage and ask to speak to one of the managers they are the only people who can answer your questions.
    Who are you to say the thread should be locked
    heyyyy i'm meanmachine one of the baddest and meanest bus drivers out there :D.
    so whats next jay, heyy i have an idea why dont you start a thread calling for a boycott of dublin bus.

i'm trying bazzer, i'm tryin really hard.:D
    if you have a problem with my post from last night please feel free to report me, or if you want i'll report me for ya.:D. those that know me from posting and the tone of my posts would know that was nothing. in fact it would be one of the mildest posts i've made on these kind of threads.

OK jaysoose you win it was changed. months ago. when it went from hawkins street to burlington mews :D

no, you've a big gripe with bus drivers and dublin bus and you looking to add fuel to the fire.

hence my replies of "ring phibsboro garage and ask to speak to one of the managers they are the only people who can answer your questions.

heyyyy i'm meanmachine one of the baddest and meanest bus drivers out there :D.
    so whats next jay, heyy i have an idea why dont you start a thread calling for a boycott of dublin bus.

facepalm_implied.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

facepalm_implied.jpg

damn it jaysoose.now you've ruined my day. now i'll be going into work with a dirty big smile on my face and i'll be polite and courtious to all my lovely passengers thanks to this. thanks again for ruining my day.:mad:

Ok so basically the schedule on the 38 and 38/a since the removal of buses and increases in waiting times since the implementation of network direct has made it impossible for buses to run to the times on the timetables. I have no issue with this and understand that all businesses have to implement changes to meet operational demands.

My issue is the comeplete lack of information and refusal to accept the fact that the route has changed from what is on the timetables both at the stops and on the website.

It clearly states Baggot street on both when in fact a large percentage of the buses are not running to baggot street but Oconnell street..if this isnt a change of route im a leprechaun.

The controllers are changing the routes to create the illusion that network direct is not a complete disaster and the people who are getting shafted are the passengers as per usual.

I appreciate your post and dont get me wrong im not attacking you im attacking the constant denial that changing the destination which the 38 or 38a runs to is somehow deemed not a route change.

Its like saying that night is day.

It might sound as if I am arguing over semantics, but there is an important distinction here.

The situation is this:

For an official route change to take place, a full timetable must be approved in advance by the NTA and revised timetables published and printed.

What is happening is that as far as the company is concerned, the timetable as advertised is what they are endeavouring to operate. However that is frankly impossible due to insufficient running time being allowed in order to operate the service. While the company endeavours to rectify this by drawing a new timetable or rosters that will enable the current timetable to operate properly, the controllers are faced with the dilemma of trying to maintain the current timetable as best they can on a day-to-day basis. That is their job. It has nothing to do with trying to keep up illusions, and I think you're being unfair there. A controller's job is to maintain the advertised service as best they can.

The reason that I am saying all this is that it may well be that one departure is curtailed one day and another departure on a different day. It is not necessarily the same departures. In other words, they have to make an individual decision each day when they are presented with the problem of buses and drivers not being where they are supposed to be. That is the difference between an official route change and an operational decision.

The real target of your ire and frustration should be whoever in DB management decided to implement the original rosters, and who, four months later has still not implemented revised rosters that make everyone's life easier.

The customer is losing out, but I would suggest that DB operational staff (including controllers) are as frustrated as you are.

It might sound as if I am arguing over semantics, but there is an important distinction here.

The situation is this:

For an official route change to take place, a full timetable must be approved in advance by the NTA and revised timetables published and printed.

What is happening is that as far as the company is concerned, the timetable as advertised is what they are endeavouring to operate. However that is frankly impossible due to insufficient running time being allowed in order to operate the service. While the company endeavours to rectify this by drawing a new timetable or rosters that will enable the current timetable to operate properly, the controllers are faced with the dilemma of trying to maintain the current timetable as best they can on a day-to-day basis. That is their job. It has nothing to do with trying to keep up illusions, and I think you're being unfair there. A controller's job is to maintain the advertised service as best they can.

The reason that I am saying all this is that it may well be that one departure is curtailed one day and another departure on a different day. It is not necessarily the same departures. In other words, they have to make an individual decision each day when they are presented with the problem of buses and drivers not being where they are supposed to be. That is the difference between an official route change and an operational decision.

The real target of your ire and frustration should be whoever in DB management decided to implement the original rosters, and who, four months later has still not implemented revised rosters that make everyone's life easier.

The customer is losing out, but I would suggest that DB operational staff (including controllers) are as frustrated as you are.

Are we arguing over the definition of the word 'change'? At the end of the day all people need is information either on the website or something at the stops. Its not rocket science either run the route as stated or inform the passengers. The passengers had no input into the network direct changes which by all acounts have been devised by people that have no view of what actually happens on the routes etc which obviously is frustrating for all concerned but it doesnt absolve dublin bus etc from giving basic information to the people that pay for the service. Lets leave it at that obviously we are going round in circles.

changed, chang·ing, chang·es.

v.tr.
      <LI itxtvisited="1">
      <LI itxtvisited="1">To cause to be different:
    change the spelling of a word.
    [*]To give a completely different form or appearance to; transform: changed the yard into a garden.
    <LI itxtvisited="1">To give and receive reciprocally; interchange: change places.
    [*]To exchange for or replace with another, usually of the same kind or category: change one's name; a light that changes colors.

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/change#ixzz1EsNHteAq

damn it jaysoose.now you've ruined my day. now i'll be going into work with a dirty big smile on my face and i'll be polite and courtious to all my lovely passengers thanks to this. thanks again for ruining my day.:mad:

yawn.

The reason I am making the point is that there is a distinct difference in law regarding this.

DB are allowed make operational decisions in the event of buses not running to time, but they are not allowed to formally change services without NTA approval.

They are still trying to operate the advertised timetable. But operationally that is impossible and controllers are having to make day-to-day decisions with regard to that.

That is an important legal distinction.

With regard to Network Direct, to be fair a lot of the problems have now been resolved. However, the 38/a, 39/a and 145 still need revised rosters. But there may well be internal issues affecting that (I don't actually know).

• Advertisement

The reason I am making the point is that there is a distinct difference in law regarding this.

DB are allowed make operational decisions in the event of buses not running to time, but they are not allowed to formally change services without NTA approval.

They are still trying to operate the advertised timetable. But operationally that is impossible and controllers are having to make day-to-day decisions with regard to that.

That is an important legal distinction.

With regard to Network Direct, to be fair a lot of the problems have now been resolved. However, the 38/a, 39/a and 145 still need revised rosters. But there may well be internal issues affecting that (I don't actually know).

So calling it an operational change means in dublinbus speak it isnt a change?. The customer knows where they stand with DB and its at the bottom of the list. With regards to network direct this has reduced the number of buses running on the 38 and 38a routes and increased the waiting times so its almost like it was designed to make the service worse and people can call it an 'improvement' all they like but people are not stupid and can see through the spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Would I be right to assume that a large percentage of the Damastown to Baggot St 38As are also scheduled to do the return trip Baggot St to Damastown, that basically the same bus does continuous 38A journeys for all its operational time that day.

So what happens to the return trip when the initial journey is terminated at O'Connell St? Does the bus continue to Baggot St empty and then do the reverse journey, or does it start the return trip at O'Connell St or in the College Green area. Or does it disappear to another route?

I've had plenty of time to ponder this question whilst waiting in Leeson St for the scheduled 38As in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

Are we arguing over the definition of the word 'change'? At the end of the day all people need is information either on the website or something at the stops. Its not rocket science either run the route as stated or inform the passengers. The passengers had no input into the network direct changes which by all acounts have been devised by people that have no view of what actually happens on the routes etc which obviously is frustrating for all concerned but it doesnt absolve dublin bus etc from giving basic information to the people that pay for the service. Lets leave it at that obviously we are going round in circles.

v.tr.
      <LI itxtvisited="1">

As you have been informed numerous times the route has not CHANGED!!
    Just certain departures to stop the whole scheduale from collapsing.
    Do you really expect DB to be able to put it on the website that a journey had to be cut short within a few minutes notice or someone in a van ready to dash around all the bus to tell everybody!!

So calling it an operational change means in dublinbus speak it isnt a change?. The customer knows where they stand with DB and its at the bottom of the list. With regards to network direct this has reduced the number of buses running on the 38 and 38a routes and increased the waiting times so its almost like it was designed to make the service worse and people can call it an 'improvement' all they like but people are not stupid and can see through the spin.

It has nothing to do with speak. What you have suggested is that there has been a formal change in the the timetable which should be advertised on the website and on stops.

What I am saying is that the problem is that it is not the same buses affected every day - the circumstances can change and that different services are being affected. That is rather difficult to advertise unless you formally change the timetables.

I don't disagree with you that the customer has been shortchanged by this nonsense. However, if the existing advertised timetable had proper rosters backing it up it would be acceptable. It advertises 62 departures from Damastown Monday to Friday when you combine the 38 and 38a, exactly the same number as before the changes were introduced. OK the 38b/c are gone, but there have been drops in usage across the network regardless of the ND changes. and the company has to respond to that.

What you should be querying is why revised rosters have not been introduced to allow the advertised service operate. That is the nub of the issue.

Tickityboo wrote: »

v.tr.
      <LI itxtvisited="1">

As you have been informed numerous times the route has not CHANGED!!
    Just certain departures to stop the whole scheduale from collapsing.
    Do you really expect DB to be able to put it on the website that a journey had to be cut short within a few minutes notice or someone in a van ready to dash around all the bus to tell everybody!!

This route change is happening consistently over the last month or so its not a one off therefore dublinbus should be informing the customers. I dont accept that this has not been changed as i see it with my own eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Tickityboo wrote: »

This route change is happening consistently over the last month or so its not a one off therefore dublinbus should be informing the customers. I dont accept that this has not been changed as i see it with my own eyes.

Out of interest, what do you really want Dublin Bus to do?

Bear in mind, they can't alter a timetable without approval and they can't alter a route without approval.

They don't know when traffic will be bad, or when a bus might get delayed. All they can do is run the service as best they can, and they seem to be doing that.

There is a problem with the 38, but it's out of the control of Dublin Bus. Until the NTA approve new schedules and timetables it can't change.

KD345 wrote: »

Out of interest, what do you really want Dublin Bus to do?

Bear in mind, they can't alter a timetable without approval and they can't alter a route without approval.

They don't know when traffic will be bad, or when a bus might get delayed. All they can do is run the service as best they can, and they seem to be doing that.

There is a problem with the 38, but it's out of the control of Dublin Bus. Until the NTA approve new schedules and timetables it can't change.

People simply want the buses to run to the destination specified on the timetables.

They alter the timetables and routes to suit themselves just because they dont publicise the fact doesnt mean its not happening.

People are not stupid.

People simply want the buses to run to the destination specified on the timetables.

They alter the timetables and routes to suit themselves just because they dont publicise the fact doesnt mean its not happening.

People are not stupid.

Of course people want the buses to run properly, nobody has suggested otherwise. What timetable has been altered?

You haven't answered my question. What is it exactly you want Dublin Bus to do

Of course people want the buses to run properly, nobody has suggested otherwise. What timetable has been altered?

You haven't answered my question. What is it exactly you want Dublin Bus to do

Seriously? whats hard to understand.

Seriously? whats hard to understand.

So, you still can't tell us what it is you want Dublin Bus to do?

I've read through this thread. You're complaining about Dublin Bus and insulting bus drivers. It's been explained to you that a revised schedule has been agreed for Route 38 but is waiting for approval from the NTA.

Now, in the meantime, Dublin Bus can do one of two things. Run a bus to the City Centre where passengers can board a connecting bus to complete their journey or walk the short distance, or they can take the bus out of service altogether.

They can't alter a timetable without approval form the NTA, and they can't change a route without approval.

Of course, the original timetable was wrong and probably should never have been implemented, but from reading past threads here, it was thought the running time given to route 38 by the NTA was sufficient. It clearly isn't, and any hold up along the route is having a serious impact on the timetable.

You keep saying you want Dublin Bus to tell passengers the route has changed, but it's been explained to you. many times, that the route hasn't changed at all.
    dublinbus should be informing the customers

The most Dublin Bus can do is announce that a new internal schedule is awaiting approval from the NTA. Maybe if you directed some of your anger towards them you might get a quicker result.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

What I want Dublin Bus to do? I'll put it plainly, i want buses to run on time and go to where they're listed to go on the timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

What I want Dublin Bus to do? I'll put it plainly, i want buses to run on time and go to where they're listed to go on the timetable.

That is what everybody wants especially DB drivers who are fed up taking all the hostility of customers and breaking late and finishing late every day and I for one am really disgusted at having to drive by bus stops with 20 or more people waiting for a bus out of service just to try and keep a shambles of a service going because top managment won't admit they got it wrong and try to fix it properly.

So, you still can't tell us what it is you want Dublin Bus to do?

I've read through this thread. You're complaining about Dublin Bus and insulting bus drivers. It's been explained to you that a revised schedule has been agreed for Route 38 but is waiting for approval from the NTA.

Now, in the meantime, Dublin Bus can do one of two things. Run a bus to the City Centre where passengers can board a connecting bus to complete their journey or walk the short distance, or they can take the bus out of service altogether.

They can't alter a timetable without approval form the NTA, and they can't change a route without approval.

Of course, the original timetable was wrong and probably should never have been implemented, but from reading past threads here, it was thought the running time given to route 38 by the NTA was sufficient. It clearly isn't, and any hold up along the route is having a serious impact on the timetable.

You keep saying you want Dublin Bus to tell passengers the route has changed, but it's been explained to you. many times, that the route hasn't changed at all.

The most Dublin Bus can do is announce that a new internal schedule is awaiting approval from the NTA. Maybe if you directed some of your anger towards them you might get a quicker result.

I have repeated more than once that all i want as a customer is for dublin bus to run as per the timetables..i have emailed dublinbus on more than one occasion and have got no response.

Simple fact is dublinbus either will not or are incapable of providing the simplest information to the customer which proves that the customer is simply not a consideration in all this. I cant believe that some posters who have a vested interest will not admit that the routes are being changed even though the customers who are standing at stops are saying different, do you think im telling lies? what do i have to gain from posting on here? its a joke at this stage.

I'm also a customer. I agree the customer service can be awful at times, but in this case I understand the procedure which in place. They can't tell customers the service/timetable has changed, because it hasn't yet. What you're seeing is buses running short because they are delayed. Dublin Bus know the service has to be changed, the new schedules are waiting to be approved by the NTA.

Went to get the 8:26 38a this morning from blanch which duly arrives at 8:40 with Baggot street on the front, we get into town and he stops at trinity and calls out last stop.

People start complaining and the driver claims that this bus is for the city centre only and its says it on the front, basically dublin bus have decided that changing the route haf way through the journey is acceptable along with calling a bus full of paying customers liars. By the time we get outside the destination has changed to "out of service"

I can understand that some of the 38a services are now running to the city centre only and buses are showing this on the front of the bus which is fine. But to change the route half way into town is a disgrace.

Its got to the stage that the commuter buses from blanch in the mornings are unusable as they are commonly running 20-40 minutes late and now they are not even going to the destination on the front of the bus so even if you get into town on or before 9 you cant garauntee your destination.

Its a joke at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Threads merged.

Jayoose, have you contacted anyone in DB HQ or in the relevant garage to get an answer? What did they say?
    It's all well and good venting your frustration here, but you won't see any change/results unless you lobby them directly.

If you lobby and get a response, post it here so that it's out in the open and hopefully your issue can build some steam.

-Chris- wrote: »
    Threads merged.

Jayoose, have you contacted anyone in DB HQ or in the relevant garage to get an answer? What did they say?
    It's all well and good venting your frustration here, but you won't see any change/results unless you lobby them directly.

If you lobby and get a response, post it here so that it's out in the open and hopefully your issue can build some steam.

Hey, i have sent numerous emails/spoke to drivers and rang the helpline more than once. Each time i got excuses, lies or no response. Have participated in the online surveys that cherry pick the positives out of while ignoring the negatives.

To be fair you are right my thread was a bit ranty though its just wrecking my head that the service has noticeably worsened over the last few to the point of not being fit for purpose. I will keep any further posts/rants in this thread rather than spam the boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

-Chris- wrote: »
    Threads merged.

There should be a prize for the first person to get a proper out of DB on anything! They never respond to emails and getting through on the phones is a joke.

I've said it before but the biggest problem for commuters is that there is no one accountable in DB. There is no one who will stand up and take criticism, give proper answers or take the blame when something goes pear shaped

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Hey, i have sent numerous emails/spoke to drivers and rang the helpline more than once. Each time i got excuses, lies or no response. Have participated in the online surveys that cherry pick the positives out of while ignoring the negatives.

To be fair you are right my thread was a bit ranty though its just wrecking my head that the service has noticeably worsened over the last few to the point of not being fit for purpose. I will keep any further posts/rants in this thread rather than spam the boards.

Jaysoose,I happen to believe that your post and the many others in a similar vein are portraying a somewhat more accurate picture of Network Direct to date,than any of the "Reviews" being undertaken by the Company.

There is even a belief within certain sectors of Dublin Bus management that Network Direct is a success as...wait for it...loadings are up !!

The statistics to prove this are apparently just rolling in to head-office,which has led to an even more concerted push to get Phase 2 up and running.

I`ve little doubt but those statistics will feature "innovations"such as the many Full 140`s to be seen every morning trundling along Bachelors Walk on their way to the terminus at Leeson St.....ermmm..."Eh hold on a minute Joe sure`n the 140 does`nt go along Bachelors Walk duzzit ?..it travels along O Connell St duzz`int it " :D

Of course the reality is that the old 92 would have fulfilled this role,had it still been there....and it`s replacement,the 14592 hybrid just is`nt cutting the ice ,is it ?

By this stage there needs to be at least a partial admission of culpability from the Network Direct team regarding Phase 1 ,instead we are still hearing tales of "Tweaking" ?

One very necessary and desireable example of this would be the immediate reintroduction of the 92,operating between Heuston Station and UCD Belfield,with the 145 thus being freed up to return to what it did best,operating as a reliable,direct, high-frequency route from the City Centre to Kilmacanogue.
    (I`d further suggest terminating it down around the Parnell Centre as opposed to the architecturally fragile Mountjoy Square)

Sadly,we appear to be in full-bore "Statistics prove Black is White" mode whereby the actuality,being described here on boards by both customers and staff,is disregarded as it could`nt possibly be true....:rolleyes:

Disraeli may have been correct when he mused about Lies,Damned Lies and then...Statistics :p

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭dazmetron

There should be a prize for the first person to get a proper out of DB on anything! They never respond to emails and getting through on the phones is a joke.

I've said it before but the biggest problem for commuters is that there is no one accountable in DB. There is no one who will stand up and take criticism, give proper answers or take the blame when something goes pear shaped

Well I got a phonecall back from Dublin bus back in January in response to a complaint I made back in October or November about the failure of the 145 to keep to its timetabled 10 minute runnings. As far as I could remember at the time, I emailed in the complaint after I had been waiting for well over an hour at about 6pm for a 145 heading southbound. The guy who rang me (he was from Customer Service) apologised for the delay in contacting me, openly admitted the changes to the 145 were a disaster and blamed the Network Direct team for all the problems. He said then that they were trying to make changes (still waiting!) but at this point all he could do was apologise.

I was surprised at the time, he, as a customer service representative was so open to admiting that they had fucked up but as he was as quick to make the point that the garages and head office had nothing to do with the changes and that Network Direct were solely responsible, I probably shouldn't have been :)

Advertisement